Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I would like a wiki that explains all this GTA online crap. There seems to be a fun game here, but I am confused and think I am missing it.

Single Player is GoTY, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Is there any reason to do all of the stunt jumps in online? I already got the Lime Green paint-jobs by doing 25 of them, and if there's no benefit to getting them all, I might as well call it quits while I'm ahead.

Funso Banjo posted:

I would like a wiki that explains all this GTA online crap. There seems to be a fun game here, but I am confused and think I am missing it.

What exactly are you confused about?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

What's to explain? You can do deathmatches, races and missions or just mess around doing whatever in free roam. It has tutorials every time it introduces something new.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
How the gently caress are people keeping up with this thread holy hell it's like WOW 2 got one thread.

Question. I don't know if its a glitch or what but my character has green body armor on all the time
Now covering whatever she's wearing. Even when she doesn't have armor and when I try to change clothing it just goes in top I'd everything and every new session too. It's Ike this thing saves better than cars. Weird

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Alan Smithee posted:

Question. I don't know if its a glitch or what but my character has green body armor on all the time
Now covering whatever she's wearing. Even when she doesn't have armor and when I try to change clothing it just goes in top I'd everything and every new session too. It's Ike this thing saves better than cars. Weird

Hold BACK/Select, go to Inventory, cycle body armour options.

I believe the chosen appearance is cosmetic, so you can pick none or your favourite, and it doesn't affect your character's actual body armour value.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

robotsinmyhead posted:

That bugged Sandy Survival mission is fun. Get it before they nerf it.

Explain?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Open the interaction menu (hold back/select) and go to Inventory. You can toggle the visual body-armour in that sub-menu.

Edit: Beaten, but check out the interaction menu. There's a lot of useful options hidden away in there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Frankenstyle posted:

Am I missing something obvious? I can't get past wave eight or nine on Boneyard solo, but with one or two crappy randoms to act as bullet magnets I can carry them all the way through. The problem is that I end up spending 25 to 40% of the 20K winnings refilling my ammo. Am I missing some in mission ammo drops (beyond what enemies give up), or is that a standard business expense?

Unless your shooting skill is maxed out, doing survival will increase it which will increase your ammo capacity so until it is maxed it will seem expensive until you hit 9999 at which point you only spend to refill what you use.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Harmonica posted:

Hold BACK/Select, go to Inventory, cycle body armour options.

I believe the appearance is cosmetic, so you can pick none or your favourite, and it doesn't affect your character's actual body armour value.

Wow that was quick thanks. Why are you reading this thread and not playing?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Another question, is it possible for GTA online male characters to wear a closed/zipped up hoodie? Or is that just a female only thing?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

If you go to the 24/7, you can jump on top of the cactus on the right side and climb up into a glitched area where it's easy to kill enemies yet not get shot.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Wow that was quick thanks. Why are you reading this thread and not playing?

Posting while the game loads up, or whilst sitting on a roof top somewhere :) Multi tasking like a true criminal.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

There is a 24/7 mart that you can get "into" the roof. At the front of the store, there is a large cactus in a planter and a bike rack in front of it. Jump onto the bike rack, then onto the cactus. When on the cactus, climb onto the roof/into the roof. Exploit.

Just don't shoot an RPG, grenade or sticky bomb, since there is still a roof.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

incorporeal posted:

So, the left side of my screen is constantly covered by invites from people i don't know to do missions with. Any way to turn that off or something because my phone is always beeping and the left side of the screen is covered in invites. Trying to just play with friends, why would they think I want to get invites from people I don't know. About to just give up on this mess.

Yes you can turn them off. It's one of the options in the start menu. Sorry I cant be more specific where it is, not sitting at my game atm.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Does anyone know the logic behind eating snacks? Sometimes it makes you eat them one at a time sown times you can mash the use button and cram a bunch for instahealth

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Alan Smithee posted:

Does anyone know the logic behind eating snacks? Sometimes it makes you eat them one at a time sown times you can mash the use button and cram a bunch for instahealth

If you are in cover, there is no animation. Thus you can spam them that way.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

If you hold it down you eat the entire thing for more health.

Something I just noticed, if you press DPAD down in your garage, it shows a popup above your cars, with their stats and the make and model.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So what's everyone doing to grind RP now that replay is patched?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Races. 2500 for a win! Get together with a group of 5-6 people and they're good fun, with decent rewards for all.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Play the game :confused:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So when you fire up online, it'll drop you with any crew guys who are currently playing and then it's a crapshoot about actually getting a mission chain started with them?

How does it deal with being in 2 crews?

In order to get into a mission I either have to wait for a random crew guy to invite (and there's no way to tell if you're getting an invite from a crew guy or a random pub, is there? Tags don'g show up until you're in the mission screen I don't think?)

Or I have to drive to a job on the map in freeroam and start a mission and invite crew guys?

I'm enjoying the game but I feel like I'm not quite getting it.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Cojawfee posted:

Paleto Bay for the sultan. I just drove up there and one happened to be parked in a yard.

Thanks! Just drove down there and found one pretty quickly.

Still looking for a Sentinel if anyone knows if they spawn in a certain area or anything.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't need to grind RP, but I presume that race/windstream thing still works.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Elendil004 posted:

How does it deal with being in 2 crews?

Things only show up for your active crew. So, you need to toggle back and forth if you are in multiple crews.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Hockles posted:

Things only show up for your active crew. So, you need to toggle back and forth if you are in multiple crews.

Do I have to do that in the social club or can I do that ingame?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

You should be able to switch it on the fly on the pause menu, note that you will drop session when you change active crew.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Elendil004 posted:

In-game, there is a tab for Online. In there, select crews. Check whichever box you want to be active for.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hockles posted:

In-game, there is a tab for Online. In there, select crews. Check whichever box you want to be active for.

FYI doing this while online will boot you to single player.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Alan Smithee posted:

I haven't done any grinding since the R2/RT patch and I enjoy the game a lot more as a result.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Aishan posted:

You should be able to switch it on the fly on the pause menu, note that you will drop session when you change active crew.

I guess it doesn't help that Mountain Crew is like, 50 players :( This 300 player cap is dumb.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

One of the "patches" added a little notification that will pop-up when a crew member is in/joins the session you are in.

Still, a ring around all crews you are in would be nice. A little benefit to being in more than one crew.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Stiggs posted:

Thanks! Just drove down there and found one pretty quickly.

Still looking for a Sentinel if anyone knows if they spawn in a certain area or anything.

Sentinel xs? They are rare. Drive around in a dominator. They are usually driven by a crazy person. You will have to work a bit to get them to stop.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Elendil004 posted:

I guess it doesn't help that Mountain Crew is like, 50 players :( This 300 player cap is dumb.

If it makes you feel any better I'm in 1009 and couldn't join a single crew session last night.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So is there a downside to randomly murdering the white dots? Death sucks money from your bank account as well as on you, right? Deaths in missions, even deathmatches and stuff don't count against your wallet?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Aw man. Rollin with another goon we took out some guy with a bounty. He put a revenge bounty on me, so I sent mercenaries, called a mugger, and put a bounty on him. Then when I tried to watch the chaos from Weasel News my game froze.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

DrNutt posted:

If it makes you feel any better I'm in 1009 and couldn't join a single crew session last night.

I don't know if that has been fixed yet. I always view members the crew, and join on an individual. Or a friend.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hockles posted:

I don't know if that has been fixed yet. I always view members the crew, and join on an individual. Or a friend.

Huh, I didn't know you could view crew members. Is that something you have to do from single player before you jump online?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So me and CascadeGamma have decided that late night racing is the best racing. Everyone is tired, some probably drunk, its pretty much a demolition derby with cars flipping and falling off of cliffs. Its Goon Super Fun Racing Time at terrible hours of the night, join us for crazy fun.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

DrNutt posted:

Huh, I didn't know you could view crew members. Is that something you have to do from single player before you jump online?

Nope. Same menu I described above. You can select "View Crew Members" or whatever and it gives a list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Where the hell did you get the Phoenix? I can't find one ANYWHERE :(

I went out looking for a Ruiner without even knowing an even better Pontiac-looking car existed in the game, I've never seen a Phoenix up until I started playing online. I was driving around in a lesser musclecar on the country road near the Vinewood sign and saw it spawn, almost had a heart attack because oh my god I love Firebirds, and it's been my baby ever since. I find a lot of high performance cars spawn on those country roads before you get out into the wilderness properly, but I can't guarantee anything. Such a goddamn awesome car though, throwing it around corners is incredibly satisfying.

• Locked thread