Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

God dammit. I had a lovely spruced-up Futo that I was racing with on Saturday night. Passed out on the sofa, woke up and the loving thing had gone. No tracker on the map, no insurance number on my phone, nothing. Rats rats rats.

On the plus side, I did learn that if you end a mission while driving someone else's unique vehicle, you spawn in a copy of that vehicle, down to the upgrades. Got myself a nice Sandking XL that way, complete with cosmetic/power upgrades way beyond my own level :dance:

EDIT: Also, the Sandking XL sells for $30k at the garages. If you have it as a personal vehicle, allow someone else to hop in at the end of the mission and then have them hock the one they appeared in and split the cash. Boom!

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

awesome-express posted:

So I got attacked by two dudes in a custom ride. I retaliated, blew their poo poo up, got a bad sport rating and now I'm in bad sport hell. Great.

I blow people's cars up all the time and I've never been in bad sport hell.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I think I've put about $200,000 into a Vapid Dominator so far.

Gotta go fast.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Yeah, you really have to work at it in order to bad sport. I was in a tank and it took me at least a dozen cars before I got sent there.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, you really have to work at it in order to bad sport. I was in a tank and it took me at least a dozen cars before I got sent there.

It's a cool way to get revenge on people who attack you because a lot of them seem to want to save money by leaving their cars uninsured. :shobon:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Is it a cumulative count towards the score? Does it reset after a certain period?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
What the gently caress, A couple of times now I've been kicked/disconnected during freeroam definitely not on a mission and each time the game tells me I'll be labelled a bad sport if i keep quitting in the middle of a mission.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Party Plane Jones posted:

The thing that made the older games so much better for killing people in aircraft is that the machine gun mounts tracked the closest vehicle. Meaning you could still kill people, you just had to be zooming along at breakneck speed at low altitude to get them. Rockets on the other hand were dumb fire, except for the Hydra's. With the changes to the flight model and how tracking/locks work its annoyingly hard to kill people with anything; Copilots are definitely needed since you can actually hit something with the TV missile.
I dunno, I think the missiles are terrible but I killed well over a half-dozen peolpe with them yesterday.

I'd kill for a pontoon helo, though.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Why in hell does the garage keep replacing my best car, even if I tell it to replace the damned Sanchez? I really dig my Zion Cabrio but it keeps disappearing instead of that damned bike :( I need a bigger garage.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm up early this morning, putting in calls to martin and doing pretty much whateveer comes up, if anybody's interested, I'm cj coyo7e on XBox.

It never fails to crack me up when I show up to Martin with pictures of his dead ex-girlfriend, when he comes out in the middle of the night in the dark, shouting at his wife that he's playing golf (at 2am). "Fore!"

What's the scoop on "Chumash and Grab"? I don't think I've ever played it, what do you have to do?

edit: also regarding Bad Sport points, I shut off my console and avoided it twice yesterday, and then got a $1000 good sport bonus as soon as I came back online.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Many pages ago someone wanted to know if the Dune Buggy could be found online.

I can report that they can be found in the rank 70 mission “Chopper Tail” from Trevor. I did not attempt to take it to my garage or end up in the driver’s seat at the end of the mission. Personally, I’m happy with my BF Injection, but next time I get the mission I’ll see if I can keep a buggy at the end.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

coyo7e posted:

What's the scoop on "Chumash and Grab"? I don't think I've ever played it, what do you have to do?

I was invited to this once, it was pretty easy. You go to a pier and shoot a bunch of guys. Some more guys appear on boats and you have to shoot them while they drive around in the water. Then you steal a boat and take it to a drop off point, guys in boats are supposed to chase you but they seemed easy to lose. IIRC you only get $3000 for it which made me wonder why it was an advanced ranking mission if it pays lower than No Hay Bronca that Gerald gives you at level 9.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Whoever said death from above was the worst mission good fuckig god if you gave a a five year old design tools to create a missions this would be it. The only thing missing is the loving tank

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Platystemon posted:

Many pages ago someone wanted to know if the Dune Buggy could be found online.

I can report that they can be found in the rank 70 mission “Chopper Tail” from Trevor. I did not attempt to take it to my garage or end up in the driver’s seat at the end of the mission. Personally, I’m happy with my BF Injection, but next time I get the mission I’ll see if I can keep a buggy at the end.

I've stolen one in the desert when I was level 10-15 or so, and sadly you can't drive it into a mod shop.

shuey
Feb 26, 2006
sports, not heavy crime
So are all the missions where It's you completing a task against computer controlled enemies started through calling one of your contacts? I just basically want to do co-op with my mates.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

LanthGhost, sorry I RPGed you when you came to visit me on the building :( I thought you were a random guy who was coming to claim my bounty when I heard the chopper flying up on me.

RoboJoe fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 14, 2013

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

For anyone who has the .50 pistol I have a question. I've landed a few player kills with it but none of them seem to be going towards my pistol whipped award progress. Is anyone else having this issue?

Also, my bullpup shotgun color won't stay pink! My .50 will stay gold, but the shotgun is being finicky. What gives? :argh:

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

theperminator posted:

What the gently caress, A couple of times now I've been kicked/disconnected during freeroam definitely not on a mission and each time the game tells me I'll be labelled a bad sport if i keep quitting in the middle of a mission.

Yeah, this keeps happening to me, but so far I haven't had any negative ramifications. Hopefully it won't decide my lovely connection makes me a bad sport.

What's everyone's favorite free roam vehicle that you can just steal and take to the mod shop? All the fancy stuff is too expensive to buy and too hot to steal, apparently.

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

This is my new main ride, complete with clown horn and crew (orange) tire smoke. Once I hit level 61, it will be replaced by an even more gaudy Ruiner.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

coyo7e posted:

I'm up early this morning, putting in calls to martin and doing pretty much whateveer comes up, if anybody's interested, I'm cj coyo7e on XBox.[/spoiler]

Messaged you, I'll be on for maybe another hour.

Was just bumming around West Hollywood and got into an amazing sniper duel on the top of the Beverly Center. Jesus the native Los Angeleno in me loves this game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Spoon Man posted:

This is my new main ride, complete with clown horn and crew (orange) tire smoke. Once I hit level 61, it will be replaced by an even more gaudy Ruiner.

What the gently caress is that spoiler. It looks like it should have a few rocket launchers slung under it.

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

RoboJoe posted:

LanthGhost, sorry I RPGed you when you came to visit me on the building :( I thought you were a random guy who was coming to claim my bounty when I heard the chopper flying up on me.

Oh don't worry, the bounty marker didn't let me see you were a crewmember anyway. They really need to fix that.

And coyo7e, sorry, I don't have a mic atm, and I can barely understand voicechat anyway so I mostly ignore or turn it off.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If I had studied French, I would understand the voice chat I run into in two out of three lobbies in this game, because what in the fuuuuuuuck..

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Feenix posted:

My apologies to the goon crews on 2 accounts: 1) most of my game time is when my 9 month old son is napping next to me. I do have my headset on and an listening.
2) a lot of these high-tier missions this is my first go at them. Apologies for any gently caress ups. I'm only level 21. :)

But I'm always grateful for the opportunity to participate.

Let's play together! I can only get on when my one year old is napping. Thank goodness he is a good sleeper. I felt so bad - I had to jump off a survival the other night because he woke up and his foot go caught in the slats of his crib and my husband was already asleep for the night.

PSN is cashcamden99, felt terrible about it! I was playing with two cool dudes, too.

Edit: to those two guys, you may remember me as the dummy who grabbed the rocket launcher and died almost IMMEDIATELY. :)

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 14, 2013

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
So I've been racing non-stop for 3 nights now. Finally have a comfortable sum of money (still no property, but at least my car looks good) and I've levelled to 39 on racing exp alone. My win/loss ratio is like 1:4 and it really starts to feel like it's a test of skill around level 20-30 I'd say. As opposed to "bumper cars" in earlier levels. Holding a straight line when people try to PIT you actually becomes a skill, along with avoiding the initial clusterfuck in the first 2 or 3 turns. I don't go out of my way to try and bump people off the road unless they do the same to me first, and I don't feel like I'm suffering for it. It actually seems like the more aggressive racers end up in last place more often than not. A couple tips I think I should share:
  • I pretty much never use the handbrake, slow down with L2/Left Trigger for any turn without peeling out
  • If you can, get close to a wall to avoid people trying to sideswipe you
  • Learn to use slipstream to overtake/sideswipe other racers and recognize before it happens to you
  • Get a turbo start in the beginning of the race by holding only the reverse/brake button until a quarter-half second after "GO" and slam R2/Right trigger hitting the gas a half second after "GO" (thanks to whatever goon it was that stated that earlier in the thread)
  • Conversley, start slowly on purpose to wait out the intitial turn clusterfuck
  • PIT by tapping the rear quarter of another vehicle, pretty much the rear tire once or twice. It doesn't need to be a forceful clip at all
  • Feel no remorse
  • If for whatever reason you decided to play a GTA Race, you can shoot missiles behind you by holding the rear-view button and firing
  • Last but not least, always use the "Jerk" taunt because you can select it on the betting screen, hold X/A on it to wank indefinitely until the race starts
Apologies for the lengthy post, but I just want to maybe instill that racing pubbies in this game can be fun and rewarding for anyone that was put off by it initially :rice:

falconry fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 14, 2013

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Last night, every time I left my apartment, I automatically had a 2 star wanted level for some reason. Was that a bug people were experiencing, or am I missing something

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Antti posted:

What the gently caress is that spoiler. It looks like it should have a few rocket launchers slung under it.

It's based on the Plymouth Superbird.

Also, it's awesome.

stuart scott irl posted:

Last night, every time I left my apartment, I automatically had a 2 star wanted level for some reason. Was that a bug people were experiencing, or am I missing something

Check your texts. Are you driving a car that Simeon wants?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
The only thing I would add about racing is to not stress about custom cars. With catchup (that most leave on) and slipstreaming, you can pretty much keep up no matter what (with the exception of bringing the Sandking to an off-road race, don't do that.)

Of course, bringing in your gaudy custom rides to the race is fun.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I didn't realize how involved some of the later missions are. I fell asleep spectating some fellow AWCOs doing Dock and Stock II, and when I woke up 15 minutes later, they were finally finishing it up. I got to run it with them later, failing the first time after our distraction heli got shot into the ocean. The second time we ran jets as interference, and it was awesome. Thanks for the invite, Johnnyonoes!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Wikipedia posted:

in the case of the Superbird, a horn which mimicked the Road Runner cartoon character.

This needs to happen now. MEEP MEEP

falconry posted:

[*]If for whatever reason you decided to play a GTA Race, you can shoot missiles behind you by holding the rear-view button and firing

Okay, so I wasn't hallucinating or the victim of lag last night when I was second and the leading car missiled me to death as I was trying to slipstream past him.

Finished fifth. :smith:

Good list by the way.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Hello. Could anyone confirm if this still works? Its someones post from earlier in the thread, I forget who sorry.

Criminal records, 3 laps, only 2 players, first lap slow (~38 sec), 2nd lap faster (beat first by 4 sec. ~33 sec), 3rd lap fastest (beat 2nd lap by 4 sec, ~25 sec). Traffic,wanted,custom all on, catchup off. Split times to personal (this is prob most important). Weather and time both current. Slipstreaming and the order you place in the race have no effect. Angrygreek and I just leveled up 13 levels this morning doing it. It basically doesn't save your personal lap records properly so each race it thinks you broke the record. So you can brake the record each lap for each race.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Akion posted:

It's based on the Plymouth Superbird.

Also, it's awesome.

Check your texts. Are you driving a car that Simeon wants?

I thought it was a different one a few times, but come to think of it it was a Patriot for at least a few of them. But it was my personal vehicle, and it would say in the corner "Simeon doesn't want personal vehicles" every time. So I guess I'll chalk it up to that. Weird mechanism though. I can't drive my personal vehicle if Simeon wants it?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I let everyone get in front of me any time I race. People usually run one another off the road giving you room to take over the top spot.

Do the same on the turns, people love running one another off the road in the very sharp ones.

stuart scott irl posted:

Was the last car you drove a stolen one? That's happened to me as well - I'm too poor for an apartment, but it happens when I was launched into free roam after a mission or once when I came out of a clothing store. Both times I had previously been in a car I jacked.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 14, 2013

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Lanth posted:

Oh don't worry, the bounty marker didn't let me see you were a crewmember anyway. They really need to fix that.

And coyo7e, sorry, I don't have a mic atm, and I can barely understand voicechat anyway so I mostly ignore or turn it off.

I did laugh when I killed myself too though because the radius on the RPG is always bigger than I expect :v:

Rockstar should really add something to let crews ally with other crews so they show up marked on the radar differently, because not being able to see the marker around people in Stairs when you're in Goon Street (and vice versa) makes things difficult unless you pay attention to the user list in the game you're currently in (and like what happened above sometimes mistakes happen!)

RoboJoe fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 14, 2013

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Some guy shot me and gave me a two star wanted level along with it, in case anybody is collecting weird wanted level poo poo.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Aishan posted:

The only thing I would add about racing is to not stress about custom cars. With catchup (that most leave on) and slipstreaming, you can pretty much keep up no matter what (with the exception of bringing the Sandking to an off-road race, don't do that.)

What if my Sand King is modded out with Engine 2 and Turbo? :colbert:

Seriously, races are the most fun I've had with this game yet. There was one race where one of the guys went afk at the start and the guy behind him got turbo and slammed into his infernus. That was also the race where we did Super cars in Rockford Hills, which ended up with everyone missing the first turn and sliding up the hill in some desperate attempt to stop. I couldn't stop laughing for the entire race.

I'm actually going to get one of each car and mod it out so I can bring my A game to races. Already got a Sport (Elegy), an Offroad (Sand King :haw: ) modded out. I have a Sentinel XS for Coupe races and a Dominator for Muscle in my garage but they still need tuning.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012

Aishan posted:

Kelly posted:

I let everyone get in front of me any time I race. People usually run one another off the road giving you room to take over the top spot.

Do the same on the turns, people love running one another off the road in the very sharp ones.

I agree with both of these, good points. Also, I'm not in any goon crew, but I'm exploder37 on PSN if I ever get the chance to race any of you guys. I had somone wearing a goon tag named "Noofty" I believe, kick my rear end the other day.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Squirrel Burger posted:

Messaged you, I'll be on for maybe another hour.

Was just bumming around West Hollywood and got into an amazing sniper duel on the top of the Beverly Center. Jesus the native Los Angeleno in me loves this game.
Whoops I was so engrossed in this buzzard duel spree I was on, that I didn't notice your message sorry. :(

I found out that you can go into Start Menu -> Players -> Commend to keep people from getting closer to Bad Sport (I went from "Sketchy" which is apparently right on the cusp, to "Clean Player"), was running $30k missions with a level 130 pubby fresh out of the bad sport lobby (twice) who said that if you lose races you get Good Sport points, as well as doing missions and failing them repeatedly. YMMV

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

falconry posted:

[*]Get a turbo start in the beginning of the race by holding only the reverse/brake button until a quarter-half second after "GO" and slam R2/Right trigger (thanks to whatever goon it was that stated that earlier in the thread)

You can just hit R2/RT at the right time to get the boost. You don't need to hold the brake button at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

falconry posted:

[*]Feel no remorse

This. You gotta be brutal to survive GTA Online. After coming in 2nd in a friendly game of golf my competitors and I spawned at the entrance to the club. After noticing one of my competitors had a bounty, I immediately hit him with a sticky bomb and got $3000. Unfortunately I got a Bad Sport notice because I accidentally killed the other competitor and destroyed his car in the process. The owner of the car then challenged me to an impromptu deathmatch where I won 5-to-1 by nailing him with more sticky bombs. I'm sure the money I got from the bounty was completely offset by all the sticky bombs I used, but you can't put a price on being OG. :c00l:

Can someone explain how car bombs work. Does your car still have the bomb equipped when you get it back from the insurance company? I'm just asking because it sounds like a great way to troll. Get a popular car to pawn off for cash (say a Lampadati Felon GT), paint it an eye catching color, fit it with an ignition bomb, leave it inconspicuously parked in a high traffic area like outside a mod shop, then wait for a sucker to try and take it. Instant gratification.

• Locked thread