Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

This is beautiful. Would anyone make an iPhone 5 version with some space at the top for the clock and a little at the bottom to balance it? Maybe I'll grab some free paint app and gently caress with it.
I'm not an iPhone user, but give me an idea of the image dimensions and padding you need at the top and bottom, and I'll sort you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://imgur.com/Ixg7HRo
Here's my lock screen for reference. A proportion that keeps it mostly out of the way of the clock and slide to unlock stuff would probably be ideal. Is that enough information? Thank you so much for even taking a look at it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ApexAftermath posted:

It was brought up in relation to the prayer discussion in Breaking Bad. It was relevant enough for the point he was making.

There's also a huge prayer reference in the Mel Gibson movie The Passion of the Christ, you guys should all go check it out RIGHT NOW!

Guys if you enjoyed the buddy cop element of the relationship between WALTER WHITE and JESSE PINKMAN, you should all go check out 48 Hours

Harry Potter's Dumbledore character has a pretty similar storyline to Gus Fring arc in Breaking Bad, why not go check it out?

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 14, 2013

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

http://imgur.com/Ixg7HRo
Here's my lock screen for reference. A proportion that keeps it mostly out of the way of the clock and slide to unlock stuff would probably be ideal. Is that enough information? Thank you so much for even taking a look at it.
To the edges: http://i.imgur.com/WHVf6qD.png

With a bit of padding: http://i.imgur.com/s67xT5Z.png

That alright for you?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

There's also a huge prayer reference in the Mel Gibson movie The Passion of the Christ, you guys should all go check it out RIGHT NOW!

Guys if you enjoyed the buddy cop element of the relationship between WALTER WHITE and JESSE PINKMAN, you should all go check out 48 Hours

Harry Potter's Dumbledore character has a pretty similar storyline to Gus Fring arc in Breaking Bad, why not go check it out?

I just watched an episode of Farscape called "Prayer" yesterday, it's pretty relevant to this conversation, you guys.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Earlier in this thread, a few folks were saying that they didn't like the infusion on the part of critics of Christian morality into the show. I think it was a deliberate move on the part of the writing team to have that, though. Especially with the "Walt as the Devil" imagery. He resonates a lot with Paradise Lost's Satan too, incredibly powerful but ultimately struggling against some ineffable, higher force (Walt with the overarching, in-universe morality that damns his actions time and time again) and has the same motivation, that it'd be better to rule in Hell (dying in the meth lab) than serve in Heaven (Walt before the show began)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I think I found my new favorite Breaking Bad comic.

This is my favorite:

Honorable mentions:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Loucks posted:

Whether Walter's line qualifies as a "prayer" is up for debate

I'm pretty sure Vince Gilligan calls it a prayer himself on the podcast for the finale.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rohaq posted:

To the edges: http://i.imgur.com/WHVf6qD.png

With a bit of padding: http://i.imgur.com/s67xT5Z.png

That alright for you?

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/09/ios-7-tip-make-parallax-wallpaper.html
It's all zoomed in and weird looking unless I go into accessibility and turn off the motion effects. My thought was to make the wallpaper have 4 quadrants with each of the colors in the image rather than white space. The palette goes with ios 7's design themes pretty well. I'm loving with it in paintbrush although I know the results are primitive.

brap fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 14, 2013

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

ApexAftermath posted:

I'm pretty sure Vince Gilligan calls it a prayer himself on the podcast for the finale.

I was pretty tired when I listened to it, but I thought he said that there was no agreement in the writers' room as to where exactly the line was directed.

No time to go search for that part of the podcast though. You might be right.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/09/ios-7-tip-make-parallax-wallpaper.html
It's all zoomed in and weird looking unless I go into accessibility and turn off the motion effects. My thought was to make the wallpaper have 4 quadrants with each of the colors in the image rather than white space. The palette goes with ios 7's design themes pretty well. I'm loving with it in paintbrush although I know the results are primitive.

edit: the wallpaper http://imgur.com/WOjpud2
the way it looks on the lock screen http://imgur.com/awksf08
I need to remove those lines on the side and get the blend right on the big blocks of color I added.
I forgot that they added parallax scrolling to iOS7 - I'm firmly an Android user :)

Here's a link to the full-res original, sans any whitespace, for those who want to make their own wallpapers: http://i.imgur.com/DqqQja9.jpg

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's an iphone 5 wallpaper and one with the actual images removed so it doesn't distract from icons on the home screen
http://imgur.com/a/3ia0K

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Oh my god.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Chobdab posted:

Good god that looks like a film student's lovely spanish-language parody of breaking bad. Everything is exactly the same but with less production value (which was already pretty low in the pilot). Spanish Jesse has the same tattoo, same dialog, same escape from the raid.

That poo poo would just sour the original for me.

Spanish Jesse's tattoo looks like it was drawn on with magic marker

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Pingiivi posted:

Oh my god.

I can't work out the joke, but now I want to play as Flynn in Dark Souls.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

BreakAtmo posted:

I can't work out the joke, but now I want to play as Flynn in Dark Souls.

It's the song that plays during the muscle car cold open.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

tbp posted:

Earlier in this thread, a few folks were saying that they didn't like the infusion on the part of critics of Christian morality into the show. I think it was a deliberate move on the part of the writing team to have that, though. Especially with the "Walt as the Devil" imagery. He resonates a lot with Paradise Lost's Satan too, incredibly powerful but ultimately struggling against some ineffable, higher force (Walt with the overarching, in-universe morality that damns his actions time and time again) and has the same motivation, that it'd be better to rule in Hell (dying in the meth lab) than serve in Heaven (Walt before the show began)

Yeah I think so too. There's just a lot that lines up. Satan invents gunpowder in Paradise Lost, much like Walt makes explosives a few times. Jesse is big into carpentry, suffers a bunch for other people's sins (including his own), spends some time in a cave and has a spiritual resurrection. I just take it as an allusion, not like actual spiritual forces are involved in anything in BB or they are meant to be direct adaptations. Like how Walt has an LOTR One Ring symbolizing obsession, but the Nazi Meth Lab isn't Mt. Doom.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

It's the song that plays during the muscle car cold open.

Oh lord. Thanks. That IS gold.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

;-*

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

babypolis posted:

So when did everyone first fall in love with the show?

I thought season 1 was good but since it ended kinda abruptly I forgot about it for a while. Then I watched the episode where Jesse and Walt go to visit Tio. That scene with the poisoned burrito and the bell was so goddamn intense, I instantly knew I was watching something truly special.

The first ep I watched was the one where he lets Jane die and I was riveted from that moment on.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Walt would kidnap the guy that killed Jesse and slowly torture the poo poo out of him trying to get the guy to kill himself in a little basement torture suite. Ultimately Jr would find the guy and try to help him, and when the guy figured out that it was Walt's son he would have set off the suicide machine and kill them both.

I am not kidding or exaggerating.

That is Dexter levels of terrible.

Sagebrush posted:

I think I found my new favorite Breaking Bad comic.

This is sublime.

slashtom
Jan 5, 2012
VeteranX
Breaking Bad definitely fits my top 5 shows. It was very consistent throughout the whole thing, the motives where there, the characters were there, everything made sense. I'm sorry I can't help to compare this to that train wreck of an ending in Dexter. I mean really?

My last question for Vince is, What happened to Huell?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

slashtom posted:

Breaking Bad definitely fits my top 5 shows. It was very consistent throughout the whole thing, the motives where there, the characters were there, everything made sense. I'm sorry I can't help to compare this to that train wreck of an ending in Dexter. I mean really?

My last question for Vince is, What happened to Huell?

I think Vince would answer that question much the same way that David Chase answers questions about the russian in The Pine Barrens.

'Who cares? Why does it matter?'

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Whatever happened to the Cartel and that "Negro y azul" mariachi song from season 2? It was about how the cartel wanted to kill Walt because he was taking over their business, but as far as I remember it was never a thing: the cousins came to avenge Tuco, they weren't sent by anyone and the cartel never really cared about Walt.

Was it a dropped plot point or they just thought it'd be funny to have that song in an episode? (It was :v:)

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Elman posted:

Whatever happened to the Cartel and that "Negro y azul" mariachi song from season 2? It was about how the cartel wanted to kill Walt because he was taking over their business, but as far as I remember it was never a thing: the cousins came to avenge Tuco, they weren't sent by anyone and the cartel never really cared about Walt.

Was it a dropped plot point or they just thought it'd be funny to have that song in an episode? (It was :v:)

The twins were sent by Don Salamanca to avenge Tuco's death. Hector was a former Cartel leader and he seemed to still hold a position of respect judging by that one meeting with Gus, Hector and that Cartel dude who died after Hank's big shootout.

So yeah, the song was about the twins coming to get Walt.

Ghost of LSV
Jul 3, 2006

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

The twins were sent by Don Salamanca to avenge Tuco's death. Hector was a former Cartel leader and he seemed to still hold a position of respect judging by that one meeting with Gus, Hector and that Cartel dude who died after Hank's big shootout.

So yeah, the song was about the twins coming to get Walt.

Did anyone else get the impression that the Twins weren't the most formidble killers? I know they were supposed to have an air of Terminator about them but to me they just sort of looked really slow, the sorts of guys that could be defeated by breaking into a light jog.

I'd be far more scared to learn Mike, Todd, Gus, Tuco, any of the Nazis, or Walt were coming after me.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Did anyone else get the impression that the Twins weren't the most formidble killers? I know they were supposed to have an air of Terminator about them but to me they just sort of looked really slow, the sorts of guys that could be defeated by breaking into a light jog.

I'd be far more scared to learn Mike, Todd, Gus, Tuco, any of the Nazis, or Walt were coming after me.

Depends on if you could outrun their hollow points, I guess.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Elman posted:

Once Walt started working for Gus, he was off limits.

Once Gus betrayed the cartel, getting him back in line became their priority.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

I think that Hank is genuinely kind of a badass and despite the way he often comes off, he's actually pretty brilliant. What I'm saying is, you're probably no Hank, son, and he barely survived the twins.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think that Hank is genuinely kind of a badass and despite the way he often comes off, he's actually pretty brilliant. What I'm saying is, you're probably no Hank, son, and he barely survived the twins.

I like to imagine that Hank, like Dean Norris, has a degree from Harvard College.

As well as Marie having a degree from Northwestern University because purple.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm barely a skinny pete, but for two guys billed as super hitmen they sure got their arses handed to them quite badly by a lone cop.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

I'm barely a skinny pete, but for two guys billed as super hitmen they sure got their arses handed to them quite badly by a lone cop.

They lost the element of surprise because of outside intervention, and the cop was armed with a vehicle. They still beat the cop to within an inch of his life, and would've had him dead if not for hubristically choosing to go get the axe to kill him. They were also 100% going to kill Walt until Gus called them off. It's pretty clear that they can get just about anything done unless Gus intervenes.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Elman posted:

I thought that if Gus hadn't dealt a major blow to the cartel via his carefully constructed revenge plot, they would have been in a position to kill Walt, one way or another. Gus put in the time and planning, Walt got to reap the benefits. I doubt there's any way he could have built his "empire" without Gus first clearing the way for him (but then again, Walt always was luckier than everyone else...)

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Apparently this mask is $41,000

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Robawesome posted:

Apparently this mask is $41,000

How much are the tits?

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Don Tacorleone posted:

How much are the tits?

About $4000.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It seems Anthony Hopkins is a Breaking Bad fan:

quote:

Dear Mister Cranston.
I wanted to write you this email - so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber - I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.
I’ve just finished a marathon of watching “BREAKING BAD” - from episode one of the First Season - to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.
I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!
Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen - ever.
I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I’ve sort of lost belief in anything really.
But this work of yours is spectacular - absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers…. every department - casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.
From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.
If you ever get a chance to - would you pass on my admiration to everyone - Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada - everyone - everyone gave master classes of performance … The list is endless.
Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.
You and all the cast are the best actors I’ve ever seen.
That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It’s almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.
Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.
Best regards
Tony Hopkins.

:3:

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I am the one with knockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Holy gently caress. If Anthony loving Hopkins is praising your acting, out of the blue, you've loving made it. I wonder why they took it down? Because he says Hollywood is full of poo poo?

• Locked thread