Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevewm
May 10, 2005

Khablam posted:

Crptolocker has taught me the sheer amount of corporate mail servers that can't/don't scan attachments is simply amazing. You're literally safer using free webmail than a managed solution you'd pay 5-figures a year for.

One of the many reasons I am glad we ditched our in house email servers and switched to Google Apps some years ago. They do a much better job than any appliance or software we have ever used.

We have been very lucky.. Have not had a infection of any kind that came in via email since switching. All spyware/viri in the past few years has been delivered via IE ActiveX or Flash plugin vectors. Java was removed from nearly all company computers over a year ago; out of 200ish computers, only 5 have it installed because they need it. No one even noticed Java was missing.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Khablam posted:

You're literally safer using free webmail than a managed solution you'd pay 5-figures a year for.

That's one of those "open secrets" many don't know.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Khablam posted:

Crptolocker has taught me the sheer amount of corporate mail servers that can't/don't scan attachments is simply amazing. You're literally safer using free webmail than a managed solution you'd pay 5-figures a year for.

yeah, if you're running a mail server without an endpoint security service, you're a dolt. I got called out on this very early on in my career. Thank you, incredulous NOC technician, for being a huge dick when I tried to do something stupid.

google postini was great, but I guess they're transitioning to a google apps only type service. they say nothing will change with how it interacts with exchange servers, I'm hoping this is actually true...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Does anyone else think that places use trend micro for the sole purpose of "well it is good enough to call an A/V solution; but bad enough so we can get recurring revenue off it's faults"

Seriously gently caress TREND

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Does anyone else think that places use trend micro for the sole purpose of "well it is good enough to call an A/V solution; but bad enough so we can get recurring revenue off it's faults"

We sell a lot of trend to our clients and recently had a security rep come out and show us how to correctly configure a Worry Free Business Security install and apparently we were doing it horribly wrong. We rolled out some changes to problem clients who would always end up with some bullshit Fake AV ransomware on their terminal server and the results have been great.

We are also using other services for smaller clients, I think we are still deciding which to go with though.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Cryptolocker honestly sounds pretty brazen. I would imagine it would eventually have top or near-top priority among law enforcement bodies that deal with cybercrime if it continues to get more widespread.

I know that variants of it have been around for a while, but if it's getting better and better at what it does it's only going to draw more attention and that's rarely ideal for most criminal organizations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

My company is finally moving away from Symantec Corporate 10.xx antivirus since it is no longer supported. Is there any business level antivirus out there anymore that does not require a yearly licensing fee? Only a small part of our company is centrally located and the rest are small offices with 2-5 PCs which operate in small work groups. We're trying to find a solution for the remote offices that would allow for local installs and minimize costs going forward. I guess we could just install some sort of free AV like Avast but we are also not trying to be thieves.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

tadashi posted:

Is there any business level antivirus out there anymore that does not require a yearly licensing fee?

No

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm the ad-hoc IT guy for my small law office (5 users, including the receptionist). All of them are Windows machines (XP through 8, but I'll be replacing the one XP machine as soon as Windows 8.1 hits)

It's not absolutely indispensable, but some users (the lawyers) usually need access to each other's files (for drafting and revisioning purposes). Right now that's solved by having the lawyer's computers share their Documents folder (just that folder) through the network.

This is obviously Very Dumbtm and I will be correcting this ASAP tomorrow morning, especially after reading this whole CryptoLocker discussion.

Still, I'm wondering if there is any safe way and convenient way (ie: not having to send everything through e-mail) for users to share their files without actually exposing every machine to the network.

One option I thought of was that right now every user has their folders synced in real-time to a Google account, so I could simply have each Google user share the folders to each other, which will be automatically downloaded to the other user's machine via Google's Windows app. The bonus of this is that everything will also go through Google's file scanning process.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I understand the legal contingencies of having confidential legal documents leave the local environment and get hosted on a third-party's website. I am OK with this.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Any thoughts?

Edit: I understand the legal contingencies of having confidential legal documents leave the local environment and get hosted on a third-party's website. I am OK with this.

Do you? I can't believe the attorneys in your office are okay with opening themselves up to attorney/client privilege issues this way. I work for a large law firm and our partners' hearts would explode from their chests if someone was storing attorney work product on Google Docs.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
This may be a bit too out-of-the-box, but what about Wiki-style security? As in, run a Linux server with shadow-copy/versioning to host the files for very low downtime if you get Cryptolockered - reimage the PCs and revert the shared file store. It also keeps stuff local.

--

Client called me in today and I discovered an Install IQ Updater install that had littered a few dozen PDF readers and other pay-to-install shovelware onto the system. There was also some DNS redirecting (away from anti-malware software), a suspicious search page set as the default, and the system's existing security software was screwed - MSE was flat-out missing, and MalwareBytes seemed to have been highjacked into scareware - it threw up detections, but then demanded payment for clearing them.

Windows Defender Offline was utterly useless, didn't find a thing. TDSSkiller said no rootkit was running. I manually nuked all temp files, then killed a bunch of shenanigans with rkill, then I spent a lot of time with Revo Uninstaller killing services and processes to kill all the stubborn shovelware. I also wiped out Chrome (which had gotten screwed somewhere along the line) and MalwareBytes and reinstalled them fresh.

Right now, HijackThis and MSE say the system is clean. I'm letting MalwareBytes do a full scan overnight. But while the stubborn Install IQ Updater was definitely the problem - it was extremely resistant to being uninstalled - but I'm not sure it was THE problem. Anyone seen an infection like this and know what I should be looking for (or if the root cause was nuked during the process of ending unknown services and nuking the temp files)? There's a lot of pain-in-the-rear end legacy software on this computer, and the backups are pre-cleansing.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

This may be a bit too out-of-the-box, but what about Wiki-style security? As in, run a Linux server with shadow-copy/versioning to host the files for very low downtime if you get Cryptolockered - reimage the PCs and revert the shared file store. It also keeps stuff local.

(...)
Anyone seen an infection like this and know what I should be looking for (or if the root cause was nuked during the process of ending unknown services and nuking the temp files)? There's a lot of pain-in-the-rear end legacy software on this computer, and the backups are pre-cleansing.

You beat me to it on point #1. I would actually suggest a Windows server, but with volume shadow copies or whatever so you can restore previous versions.

On your infection... I hate to say it... you should be looking for reinstall media. Spyware/rootkits these days are too vicious to trust even a "cleaned" system.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 15, 2013

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Do you? I can't believe the attorneys in your office are okay with opening themselves up to attorney/client privilege issues this way. I work for a large law firm and our partners' hearts would explode from their chests if someone was storing attorney work product on Google Docs.

The complicated answer: this isn't in the US, and our legal framework for offsite storage is a lot simpler. Basically, as long as certain criteria are met re: protection from outside access to our files, we are legally in the clear.

The simple answer: there is literally no one that cares where our files are because we are a 5-man operation that doesn't handle big clients. Data protection (and cost-effectiveness) is a lot more important than some ethereal contingency that has zero real world application for our use-case.

This isn't really the place to discuss this, however. It's my bad for even bringing up the legal issue in the first place. As a small aside, you'd be very surprised how many large lawfirms and hotshot lawyers will actually communicate, and even send files, through free webmail addresses. Like someone posted before, enterprise security is sometimes so lax that it might as well not exist, and in the end you're a lot more worried that someone is reading your e-mails than some hypothetical malpractice suit over proper data protection.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm the ad-hoc IT guy for my small law office (5 users, including the receptionist). All of them are Windows machines (XP through 8, but I'll be replacing the one XP machine as soon as Windows 8.1 hits)

It's not absolutely indispensable, but some users (the lawyers) usually need access to each other's files (for drafting and revisioning purposes). Right now that's solved by having the lawyer's computers share their Documents folder (just that folder) through the network.

This is obviously Very Dumbtm and I will be correcting this ASAP tomorrow morning, especially after reading this whole CryptoLocker discussion.

Still, I'm wondering if there is any safe way and convenient way (ie: not having to send everything through e-mail) for users to share their files without actually exposing every machine to the network.

One option I thought of was that right now every user has their folders synced in real-time to a Google account, so I could simply have each Google user share the folders to each other, which will be automatically downloaded to the other user's machine via Google's Windows app. The bonus of this is that everything will also go through Google's file scanning process.

Any thoughts?

Use Dropbox for business. https://www.dropbox.com/business . Really inexpensive, and more secure + powerful than pretty much anything else. There are probably other similar services, but this is the one I'm familiar with.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
What about spider oak? They seem to be the most concerned with privacy/security out of all the cloud storage providers.
https://spideroak.com/

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Khablam posted:

It's usually between Avast and AVG, with both having their own fanbase.

- For raw detection rates, Avast/AVG swap for 1st position pretty often, Avast wins most frequently, but you'd honestly see it as a tie. Bitdefender free is worth mentioning here as it does very well at this, but is otherwise incredibly stripped-down and not as functional.

- For system impact, Avast is lighter on your system. In particular, AVG has awful performance for copying files.

- Avast has fewer false positives.

- If your target is to scan a very infected machine, AVG has slightly better removal capabilities.

- Avast will scan network traffic / web traffic before it hits the file system / browser process, meaning it is much harder for malware to take advantage of unpatched vulnerabilities. In fact, other than ESET/Bitdefender/Kaspersky, none of the paid solutions do this as well. Information on how each A/V works is a guarded secret, and despite AVG having a webshield it doesn't seem to offer the same level of protection.
If you want to test a general drive-by download there's a test site for it:
http://www.amtso.org/feature-settings-check-drive-by-download.html If you don't get warnings, it's not being blocked.

Misc:
AVG only lets you update daily for free, meaning Avast will a) respond quicker to threats and b) remove any problem definitions more quickly.

AVG loses points by (near daily) yapping at you to buy the paid version.

Avast is very intuitive and easy to use.

For a lot of uses they're pretty similar, and as an upgrade to MSE you can't go wrong in most areas, but if you pick it apart a little Avast is more comprehensive, especially so with 'prevention is better than the cure' in mind - I would rather flatten a very infected system than rely on anything to fully clean it, so my personal way of seeing it is to only view A/V based on prevention.

If you want to nerd out a bit and read some indepth reviews - http://www.av-comparatives.org
Good writeup. For what's it's worth, Windows 8 Defender blocked that test URL.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
does anyone have any documentation on the inner workings of combofix?

I'm always really annoyed by their whole "ONLY FOR USE WITH AUTHORIZED HELPER, DONT USE THIS ON YOUR OWN, THERE BE DRAGONS HERE" poo poo. I mean I understand it as a public policy, but it'd be really useful if they shared like, command line options, how to write scripts for it, etc for those of us who use it on a regular basis.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

We use trend and the inability to scan inside attached compressed files other than .zip is a product limitation. That is a direct quote from them. I hate Trend so much all it does is yell at me about spyware that it already delete and gives false positives on things. We are a development company so we make a couple pieces of software and it likes to flag our .exes as viruses when we upload them to ftps.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

mindphlux posted:

does anyone have any documentation on the inner workings of combofix?

It's purposely obfuscated because they don't want the evildoers to understand how it works and counteract it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Real answer: it's obfuscated because the people actually telling you to run it don't have a clue what it does, and it sounds better to say "sorry, can't tell you" than "I'm a trumped up self-aggrandizing wannabe IT expert with a 2000 word MOSTLY RED CAPS LOCK copypasta for dealing with any and all IT issues"

Bleeping computer has some good tools, but some utter shitlords infest whatever hellhole of a forum they claim to have. I've quite honestly found threads where someone has had what is clearly a dicky video driver and a coincidental minor piece of spyware, but the tool has ran the user though 10's of hours of SCAN THIS EXACTLY THIS WAY AND PASTE IT HERE WITHIN 1 DAY OR THE THREAD IS CLOSED AND YOU ARE BANNED, and you can literally see the point at which one of their catch-all tools has done a number on the user's registry and the guy is all SEE YOU DIDN'T LISTEN THE MALWARE HAS GOTTEN WORSE.* It's so very vicariously distressing to watch someone suffer terrible IT support at the hands of someone who has zero clue, and oh so much self importance.

gently caress that place. End rant, I guess.

The use-case for combofix ought to be "I am very, very sure my system is now clean (offline scans or such) but something it changed to work is broken" -- try it before flattening the system. Or, save yourself all the hassle and at the first sign of a rootkit, reinstall from backup.

I stopped doing IT support when I realised 99% of my job could be replaced by a voice recorder that says "Your malware removal is your backup. If you don't have a backup go gently caress yourself"

* - but seriously, gently caress that place. And have a look around for those threads, they're so painful

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Khablam posted:

Real answer: it's obfuscated because the people actually telling you to run it don't have a clue what it does, and it sounds better to say "sorry, can't tell you" than "I'm a trumped up self-aggrandizing wannabe IT expert with a 2000 word MOSTLY RED CAPS LOCK copypasta for dealing with any and all IT issues"

Bleeping computer has some good tools, but some utter shitlords infest whatever hellhole of a forum they claim to have.

The use-case for combofix ought to be "I am very, very sure my system is now clean (offline scans or such) but something it changed to work is broken" -- try it before flattening the system. Or, save yourself all the hassle and at the first sign of a rootkit, reinstall from backup.

I stopped doing IT support when I realised 99% of my job could be replaced by a voice recorder that says "Your malware removal is your backup. If you don't have a backup go gently caress yourself"

* - but seriously, gently caress that place. And have a look around for those threads, they're so painful

Yeah, I completely agree with all of that really. I don't think there's any legitimate reason to obfuscate basic parts of the program other than to be a shitlord. I'm sorry, but publishing some command line options on how to run an unattended scan are not going to let the terrorists win.

Annoyingly, it's very good at what it does. It's usually my first line option, just because it's so easy. I've never had it gently caress up a machine either. So, disable AV, combofix it, and then delve in deeper to see if there are still traces of infection. I'll admit I'm a bit lazy, but I lost the virus-hunting boyscout attitude a longgggggggggggggggggg time ago, sometime after I joined the real world of technology support.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Laserface posted:

Yay, a day after reading about this Cryptolocker thing, a client gets it.

Payroll machine with the user in charge of manual backups (take a guess at how often this occurs), and machine has write access to a whole bunch of network shares :downs:

gently caress, this thing is spreading like crazy...we've had at least 3 clients hit with Cryptolocker, thankfully they're all set up with backups and we were able to clean the virus and restore their files. We've got a few processes in place that we're using to try to track and prevent it from accessing and spreading on our own network and client ones.

Only other one we saw recently was a client that got the sexy.exe virus - basically infected one machine, then spread to the server and network shares. It made all their files hidden, and made copies of said files that were actually executables that would end up spreading the virus when the files were opened. Small outbreak, took a relatively short time to fix, but still sucks since apparently this virus is YEARS old and the AV software they were using didn't pick it up. :psyduck:

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Ozz81 posted:

the AV software they were using didn't pick it up. :psyduck:

Is it OK for you to tell us which AV software this is?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Is there any general way to safeguard against Cryptolocker. Does it just target My Documents or does it seek out every file on it's hitlist on the system?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The way to safeguard against it is to take regular backups and properly secure your network shares. It will blindly try to encrypt anything it can find, and that's about all there is to it. It's the simplicity that makes it so dangerous.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

WebDog posted:

Is there any general way to safeguard against Cryptolocker. Does it just target My Documents or does it seek out every file on it's hitlist on the system?

Basically it looks for every file it can access with certain extensions (there's a list floating around out there somewhere). The only thing you can do to safeguard is to make sure that you have backups, and that the backups can't be accessed by the infected PC. If the backup is something like a dropbox folder, it'll get encrypted along with the rest of the drive.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

FYI if your company uses some dumbass over-sold cloud security on their mailbox (like Total defence - http://cloud.totaldefense.com/) most of them (including TD) aren't detecting cryptlocker.

WebDog posted:

Same as any virus, really. You need an AV that doesn't suck, as few security holes as humanly possible and current backups.

Alkanos posted:

If the backup is something like a dropbox folder, it'll get encrypted along with the rest of the drive.
If you notice it in time, and you have a while to do so, you can log into the dropbox site and restore the originals. Don't plan it as your fallback, though.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
The paid Dropbox service can revert files indefinitely, though that would suck having to do on a large amount of files, so maybe it has a big "revert" option like Wikipedia

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

WebDog posted:

Besides making sure you have backups available, you can also set Group Policy to block executables from running from the Application Data folder. If your environment is like ours, you might also need to create an exception for Chrome if people use that, since it likes to install in that folder too, maybe if you don't have local admin rights.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
My "work environment" is pretty much aimed at stopping a dreaded call from a family member when it hits. Does XP's GP have settings to stop executables running out of App Data?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well this whole CryptoLocker thing has finally scared me into not being a lazy idiot with regards to securing my personal PC. :downs: Time to install Avast and kill Java forever.

I think the worst part is that I would never have known about this fucker if it wasn't for Tumblr. :cripes:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

WebDog posted:

My "work environment" is pretty much aimed at stopping a dreaded call from a family member when it hits. Does XP's GP have settings to stop executables running out of App Data?
The SRP rule you want is %AppData%\*\*.exe

Limited accounts rather than local admin can help too.

Avast!, ESET, Trend and a couple of others had day-0 definitions for this thing, and scan and intercept web traffic. In my opinion any AV that doesn't intercept and scan network/web traffic before the browser sees it is 100% useless in the real world; it's ability to detect viruses sitting on your file-system is irrelevant.

Check your AV does this.

e: Cryptlocker is "just" an EXE, usually spread by email attachment. If people are getting hit by this, there's a lot to say about it, and it's all negative, both on a system security standpoint, and a user-knowledge problem. This is 1999-era stuff with a different payload.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 24, 2013

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

Avast!, ESET, Trend and a couple of others had day-0 definitions for this thing, and scan and intercept web traffic. In my opinion any AV that doesn't intercept and scan network/web traffic before the browser sees it is 100% useless in the real world; it's ability to detect viruses sitting on your file-system is irrelevant.

Does the free version of Avast have this?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Yes, the downside is that it's very annoying until you pay for it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Yes, the downside is that it's very annoying until you pay for it.
You're thinking of AVG, which jumps in your face constantly like IAP in a lovely Zynga game. Avast offers you a trial of the paid version when you install, and when the program updates (3 or 4 times a year). Both are dismissed with a single click. These are discrete from definition updates that happen silently. If you accidentally click on the trial version upgrade, it just goes pro for 20 days, then reverts to the free version after a reminder.

Bitdefender (free) whilst not as fully featured will also remain all-but silent on the issue.

You might also be thinking of Avira (similar name?) whose free version at some point made you manually update, and showed a near-full-screen splash screen every time.

e: vvv oh, poo poo. I've had it turned off so many years I've forgotten that. It once went off whilst I was, erm, entertaining a guest and my computer had been left hooked into the surround-sound system :cripes:.
I've really never lived it down.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 24, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

No, I certainly am thinking of Avast, though being mostly facetious because of the notoriety of the very loud female voice who likes to ambush you in quiet moments (most people don't know you can turn it off lol). Avast is really good.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bloody Pom posted:

Well this whole CryptoLocker thing has finally scared me into not being a lazy idiot with regards to securing my personal PC. :downs: Time to install Avast and kill Java forever.

I think the worst part is that I would never have known about this fucker if it wasn't for Tumblr. :cripes:

It definitely made me make some changes. I'm reasonably careful online, but I unmapped all my drives on all my computers (work and home), installed A/V on my HTPC, and I signed up for an online backup service and copied all my important documents and photos to a hard drive that's sitting in a safety deposit box. I dealt with a house fire when I was a kid, so I should have been more on the ball to begin with.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
I just blocked all .zip attachments in our appliance-based spam filter to try to stop the spread of CryptoLocker. Anything else I'm missing besides locking down AppData? I think Zbot dropper is possibly distributing CryptoLocker and variants. Any other drive by java exploits or routes to infection out there for CryptoLocker?

eames
May 9, 2009

So this article about "badBIOS" over at arstechnica... please tell me that is a hoax?

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

eames posted:

So this article about "badBIOS" over at arstechnica... please tell me that is a hoax?

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

" Strangest of all was the ability of infected machines to transmit small amounts of network data with other infected machines even when their power cords and Ethernet cables were unplugged and their Wi-Fi and Bluetooth cards were removed. "

It's ghosts! :ghost:

• Locked thread