Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Olpainless posted:

Wild mushroom stroganoff for a late tea tonight.

(There are a lot of incredible dishes on this page, drat.)

whoaaaaaaa. God I feel like I'd gain ten pounds from this dish. I must have a recipe.

That marg pizza looks really swell too. Lots of good stuff on this page!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

whoaaaaaaa. God I feel like I'd gain ten pounds from this dish. I must have a recipe.

That marg pizza looks really swell too. Lots of good stuff on this page!!

This is the best stroganoff ever

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Broke in my new rice cooker with some peas and rice served with sauteed greens and jerk chicken.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Niiiice. Bookmarked, thanks!

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Cooked up some Palak Paneer tonight.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Sunday red sauce with crispy fried Parmesan polenta and a side salad.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Made some apple pies with my mom. We used store crusts, since she was tired from grading tests and didn't want to spend the extra time to do crust from scratch. They were still great, though. I picked the apples myself less than a week ago, and they were soooo juicy. A win for family togetherness. Apparently, my grandmother used to taste the apples she was using, judge them on sweetness, acidity, and water content, and then slightly adjust this recipe to compensate (if needed) for all three things. One of those "I've made this every Sunday for fifty years, and I'm better at it than you are at anything" kinds of deals.

My parents kept one and I kept one, although I'll be passing slices of mine around, in the hopes of lending some stressed out friends a little fall cheer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Is that... single-crust with some sort of crumb topper? That's interesting, my family always did apple pie as a double-crust.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Looks like some sort of amalgamation of apple pie and apple crumble. I'd eat the hell out of that pie.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Is that... single-crust with some sort of crumb topper? That's interesting, my family always did apple pie as a double-crust.

The crumb topping was borrowed from a different baked-apple-thing recipe, since I had wanted to do double crust, but we decided at the last minute not to make crust from scratch and that makes double-crust difficult. Also, we only had the two frozen crusts to use.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Swedish cabbage rolls and fresh bread. I actually forgot this bread while it was proofing and managed to overproof it by about... 14 hours. Had to reproof and it didn't poof up as much as usual but still a really nice texture on the inside.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I have a really hard time believing that that many people have never had nor heard of a Dutch apple pie before. :psyduck:

Also, rurutia, you're awesome :allears:

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Rurutia posted:

Swedish cabbage rolls and fresh bread. I actually forgot this bread while it was proofing and managed to overproof it by about... 14 hours. Had to reproof and it didn't poof up as much as usual but still a really nice texture on the inside.
Those are the most appetizing cabbage I've ever seen, they aren't usually very photogenic.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have a really hard time believing that that many people have never had nor heard of a Dutch apple pie before. :psyduck:

Also, rurutia, you're awesome :allears:

Yeah, they're pretty popular from what I've seen. I prefer it over double crust anyways so I'm biased.

Lonely Virgil posted:

Those are the most appetizing cabbage I've ever seen, they aren't usually very photogenic.

Taken with Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (TM).

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I souped and pied(apple).

First time making my own pie crust and I think it turned out pretty well, but I think I should have rolled it a bit thinner.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lazy dinner of a roasted chicken maryland with some spicy, creamy pasta.

Mid_Ben
Apr 10, 2008
I made a dessert for a potluck thing my friends and I do monthly:

Multi-Layered Gelee, with masala chai coconut milk on top, and mango juice beneath. Sweetened shredded coconut between layers, served on a Nilla Wafer as it was deemed finger foods.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Veritek83 posted:

I souped and pied(apple).

First time making my own pie crust and I think it turned out pretty well, but I think I should have rolled it a bit thinner.

What's the soup??

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Rurutia posted:

Whhhhhhhoah blast from the past, my mum used to make this for me when I was sick. Can I crib a recipe? I want to make it for my other half and keep the tradition alive.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Freeze a cabbage overnight, then let it thaw out right before you make these:

Meatballs:
2 lb 80-90% ground beef
3 thick slices of hickory smoked bacon (get good bacon, it makes a huge difference in flavor) - grind by hand chopping
2/3 cup of milk
1/4 cup of mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup of grated romano cheese
3 oz of rice
2 eggs
2 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of black pepper
1 tbsp of fresh parsley
1 tbsp of fresh dill
1 tbsp of thyme

Combine, shape into balls, 450F oven for 15min, drain on paper towels and reserve.

Tomato Sauce (basically a marinara):
2 tbsp of the rendered fat from the meatballs
1/4 cup red wine
3 garlic cloves
1/4 onion grated
1/2 carrot grated
28oz canned san marzano tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 bunch of fresh basil

Sautee the garlic, onion and carrots with 1 tbsp of fat that rendered from your meatballs until translucent. Drop in the tomato paste, and let everything combine. Deglaze with a quarter cup of red wine, I used a Cabernet. Once most of the alcohol has reduced, drop in the canned tomatoes. Simmered until the canned tomatoes break down. Add in your basil, immerse blend until desired smoothness.

While your sauce is simmering, peel the leaves off your cabbage and wrap your meatballs. They should be nice and soft/pliable. Drop them into your sauce after you've blended it, simmer until the cabbage is cooked through. Garnish with some more grated romano.

edit so many typos

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 15, 2013

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

What's the soup??

Pretty much this pasta e fagioli, minus the pancetta, but with a couple of handfuls of spinach tossed in at the very end.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I made modernist mac & cheese. 20/80 cheddar/jarlsberg. Very good, and much easier than stirring a béchamel.

Fried some Swedish falukorv sausage (it seems to fit in spirit, if not in authenticity) and steamed broccoli to go along with it.

Even the picky two-year old kid loved it :3:

:downs:

;-*

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Sjurygg posted:

I made modernist mac & cheese. 20/80 cheddar/jarlsberg. Very good, and much easier than stirring a béchamel.

Ive wanted to try this for some time now, but want to make the effort of sourcing ingredients go far. Does the cheese sauce freeze/keep well?

vampire
Aug 31, 2006

Mister Son of a beeetch

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Ive wanted to try this for some time now, but want to make the effort of sourcing ingredients go far. Does the cheese sauce freeze/keep well?

I've just ordered some sodium citrate for the same reason. According to the Modernist Cuisine page on this recipe, the cheese sauce keeps for a week in the fridge and up to 2 months in the freezer...

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sodium-citrate-creates-silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I'd be interested in trying it. Right now my cheese sauce of choice is just "1/4c half-and-half per 1oz cheese, plus a two-finger pinch of flour, heat it all together while stirring w/spatula constantly, serve immediately" but that's because I'm an enourmous fatass who loves half-and-half.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's incredibly easy. I didn't have to use the immersion blender, and the cheese melted in easily in four batches. Seasoned with a little bit of nutmeg, it didn't need salt. I think it'll be even better with all cheddar. I also have a huge slab of Swedish goat cheese that might come in handy... :getin:

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums
Cassoulet, oh la la!

Recipe from here: http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/03/cassoulet_in_10.html

It's not terribly authentic (and boy oh boy am I starting to hate that word when it comes to food) but it was still freaking delicious...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

You need the iota carrageenan if you want to freeze it. If you're not going to freeze it, the sodium citrate is all you need.

Idol No More
Mar 1, 2013

Yes, I will. Used a gift card.
Made this burger just now.

roasted (burnt)potato slices with sour cream/chives on top on bottom bun, miracle whip,mustard,ketchup underneath

Burger with hickory smoke bbq sauce/steak seasoning put on top. Egg on top of that with hot sauce cooked in.

Awesome yolky goodness.

Also cooked some onion with the burger.

Edit: And applesauce

Idol No More fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 16, 2013

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Tomato basil soup made with holy trinity instead of mirepoix, grilled cheese points and a white bordeaux :butt:

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Rurutia posted:

good eatin'

Awesome, thank you!

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Sjurygg posted:

It's incredibly easy. I didn't have to use the immersion blender, and the cheese melted in easily in four batches. Seasoned with a little bit of nutmeg, it didn't need salt. I think it'll be even better with all cheddar. I also have a huge slab of Swedish goat cheese that might come in handy... :getin:

I will say, there's a pretty big stability difference between hand-whisked and stick-blendered sodium citrate emulsified cheese. I've had a few cases where hand-whisking just couldn't quite pull it all together. With a stick blender, it gets "thicker" earlier, and seems to be able to take on more liquid.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I did a puddle thing. Chicken thigh on squash and zucchini

Looks like I'm going to have to use my real camera since I'll be making things that excite me again.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You need the iota carrageenan if you want to freeze it. If you're not going to freeze it, the sodium citrate is all you need.

I really only wanted to freeze it in order to preserve it, are you saying without the iota carrageenan it will not keep frozen? or break?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Real simple, but since I already wrote this for some other folks I thought I'd share:

quote:

Cuban Pork Sandwich

WHAT YOU NEED:
1 French baguette
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 thick pork chops
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup organic, low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry vermouth
Dijon or stone-ground mustard
sliced smoked ham
sliced Swiss cheese
sliced dill pickles
salt
pepper
olive oil
paprika
thyme

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Pat dry your pork chops, then rub them with the minced garlic, repeating with the salt, pepper, thyme and paprika.

2. In a large skillet, heat about 3 tbsp of olive oil and lay pork chops in; let them sear for about 4 minutes, then turn over and sear the other side for another 4 minutes.

3. Pour in chicken broth and dry vermouth; use a spatula to scrape off the browned bits that stick to the pan (this will provide more of that awesome flavor). Cover the skillet with a lid and set in the oven for 15 minutes.

4. Every 15 minutes, take the chops out, turn them over, and set back in.

5. Repeat for about 1 1/2-2 hours, or until the pork chops just completely fall apart by the fork.

6. Store the pulled pork in a container and wash the skillet. Turn off the oven.

7. Cut the baguette into thirds (you can just use 2/3s of it if you wish, as I did), then cut lengthwise. Butter the inside of the bread and set in the skillet under medium heat, pushing on them until they get a nice crust inside.

8. Layer the sandwich (in this order) with stone-ground mustard, pulled pork, pickle slices, ham slices, and Swiss cheese.

9. Put the top slice of the bread on the sandwich. In the skillet, put a small drizzle of olive oil and turn on medium-high heat. Set the sandwich on the skillet and place a heavy skillet (perhaps with a brick or barbell or something) on top to press it. Grill for just 1 minute, then turn the sandwich over and do the same to the other side.

10. Voila, you're done. Eat with some kettle cooked chips and curse your arteries.

Omgamage
Apr 5, 2011
That Cuban looks mighty tasty; however, I can't help but wonder, why use pork chops instead of like pork shoulder? Was it just what you had, or is it the time it takes to do pork shoulder?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Omgamage posted:

That Cuban looks mighty tasty; however, I can't help but wonder, why use pork chops instead of like pork shoulder? Was it just what you had, or is it the time it takes to do pork shoulder?

It was what I had, yeah; I decided to make a menu to supplement existing meat/ingredients I had on hand, and this looked like it would work (turned out pretty great, too).

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
1. Leftover chili, or ground beef with beans stew...
covered with grated cheddar cheese

2. then topped with a pretty wet mixture of corn meal/all purpose meal/egg/oil/alt/etc,

3. and baked in the oven so the wet dough turns into cornbread over hot chili/ground beef stew

4. yum...:

paraquat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 17, 2013

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've done a fairly similar recipe using pork loin because it was on a massive sale and I had to make a lot of sandwiches on a budget. Saved money by buying a whole ham and slicing it myself also and ended up making 6 full loaf sandwiches. They came out pretty killer.

Edit: For the cuban sandwiches, not the above post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
High-temp steakery filled the house with smoke the last time I tried, since the vent over the stove isn't connected to a duct to outside. Whoops! So, I thought this time I'd try the Alain Ducasse method (2+ in thick steak, lower temperature, 10min per side plus a little extra up front for the edges, baste with garlic/butter) instead of the Alton Brown method (3/4 to 1 in thick steak, canola oil/salt/pepper, high temperature for 30 sec per side on the range, then in the oven for 120 sec per side).

Letting a steak rest is the hardest thing in the loving world I swear to god.

Ducasse calls for 4T butter, but I figure if I need fat in a pan I might as well use my favorite: bacon grease! I added 2T of butter to the bacon grease after removing and draining the bacon, just for flavor/browning. Bacon:

Here is my strip starting out:

Here's what it looks like flipped for side two. I was kind of bored, so I started shuffling the garlic around in different patterns as I basted:

Here it is on a plate, with bacon, fried eggs, fried potatoes, fried Brussels sprouts (just a few, because I've never had them before and wasn't sure if I'd like them), and some of the bacon from earlier:

Edit for trip report: The Brussels sprouts are just as good as everyone says, and I'm adding them to my diet from here on out.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 18, 2013

• Locked thread