Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

daggerdragon posted:

Well then. Silly sellers rubbing the labels off my pens. Then again, what do you expect for $5 from China?

I like that pen because with the clear barrel filled with Nikita, it looks like I'm writing with blood. :black101:

So far I've removed all the dried-on crud and it's currently soaking in the ultrasonic cleaner, just working water through the top bit. Thanks again, I have my pen back :)

Note to anyone else reading this thread: don't leave your cheap pens quarter-filled and then put them in storage for a year. They will dry out and gunk up the works and then you have to go get a Big Strong Man™ to open them for you.

Blood inks really are the best. Diamine Red Dragon is my favourite, it comes out almost scarlet and dries a very deep red. Perfect for signing (non-legal) documents.
I should really get an ultrasonic cleaner, would really help getting dried ink out of my pens. Where did you get yours from?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hahaha, a friend of mine always says she keeps her husband around just for his can-opening prowess.

Speaking of preppys, mine kinda... leaks from the nib. It starts out alright, and after a minute of writing it starts gathering more and more ink on the nib until it drips. I know it's an eye dropper pen, but that's a bit ridiculous. Anything I should check? I don't user it much, but it's the "black pen" while the other ones have the fabulous colours.

That could be a loose nib/feed, make sure it's pushed as far into the section as possible.

Also, if its an eyedropper, you should really keep the ink topped up more than half full as the heat from your hand will make the air inside the pen expand and push ink out. Sounds like it could be what's happening with yours based on the time when it happens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Vitamins posted:

Where did you get yours?

GemOro Sparkle Spa Ultrasonic Cleaner (SILVER)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G42OEO/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

I wish I hadn't gotten that one because it has a mere 3 minute shutoff with no way to extend it. I know places like Harbor Freight have cheapy devices, but your mileage may vary.

I originally bought it to clean my engagement ring, but it's got a lot of uses: cleaning pens and glasses, and a friend has a huge unit that he cleans gun parts in, etc.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

daggerdragon posted:

I like that pen because with the clear barrel filled with Nikita, it looks like I'm writing with blood. :black101:

I've been wanting to get some Diamine Oxblood and keep it in one of my demonstrators for that very reason. :black101:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Vitamins posted:

Blood inks really are the best. Diamine Red Dragon is my favourite, it comes out almost scarlet and dries a very deep red. Perfect for signing (non-legal) documents.
I should really get an ultrasonic cleaner, would really help getting dried ink out of my pens. Where did you get yours from?

That could be a loose nib/feed, make sure it's pushed as far into the section as possible.

Also, if its an eyedropper, you should really keep the ink topped up more than half full as the heat from your hand will make the air inside the pen expand and push ink out. Sounds like it could be what's happening with yours based on the time when it happens!

It IS an eyedropper, I would have never thought of the air... I'll check the feed/nib just in case, but I never topped it because I'm still terrified it's going to break and spill black ink EVERYWHERE.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I got my free ink from Goulet. The 54th is really nice. I also love that it washes off skin so easily... I threw caution to the wind and just dumped some into my eyedropper Preppy... and got it all over my hands. Washed right off! And I got to show off the magical waterproof-ness at dinner. :) Thanks for sharing that deal, Goons!

Edit for question: One of my Preppies (containing HoD) flows great, and I can leave it uncapped and start writing again a few minutes later. The other (the one that was free with HoD, but contains 54th) will dry up and requires some scribbling before it will write again. Is this fixable?

milpreve fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 14, 2013

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
HoD is a pretty wet ink so it's probably a property of 54th drying out a bit faster. I don't usually leave pens uncapped if setting it down for this reason. For VP/Decimo which doesn't completely seal though, I keep a tiny spray bottle at my desk and will spray the nib the next day over a tissue. Or you can lick it, both ways will make the ink wet again.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Yum...

Seriously, though, I didn't even consider it bring the ink. Thanks!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Today my brain decided that I didn't have enough pens already so I had a look around various websites for some of my most desired pens.

Now I remembered why I forced myself to stop doing that. I found some pens that are dirt cheap for what they are but still too expensive for what I should be spending right now. Oh god I want them so much though. :negative:

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
Anyone going to the Columbus Pen show next month? I'm going on the Friday afternoon to search for Esterbrooks to compete my J collection

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

lady flash posted:

Anyone going to the Columbus Pen show next month? I'm going on the Friday afternoon to search for Esterbrooks to compete my J collection

Yup I'll be there!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, uh, I guess now I have a TWSBI 540 with a fine nib and Vac 700 with another medium nib. Not sure how I did that, but I think Pen Posse had something to do with it.

I got a bunch of purple ink samples from the last meetup which I'll take a picture of soon!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Ah I wish I could have made it! Next time :)

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Vitamins posted:

Today my brain decided that I didn't have enough pens already so I had a look around various websites for some of my most desired pens.

Now I remembered why I forced myself to stop doing that. I found some pens that are dirt cheap for what they are but still too expensive for what I should be spending right now. Oh god I want them so much though. :negative:

When I have money I am going to make so many poor decisions and have so many more pens that I don't even ink up. I know I can keep 3 inked up without problems of drying out, and that any more is probably a bad idea, why do I want 40 freaking pens? :saddowns:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, I've picked up a 10-pack of Hero 616s. As expected, they're misaligned and generally poorly assembled. However, the drat section appears to be glued-on. Has anyone else run into similar? Any advice for getting them off?

I want to do something neat with them, but it's not worth the effort if I can't get the things totally apart for tweaking.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kerbtree posted:

So, I've picked up a 10-pack of Hero 616s. As expected, they're misaligned and generally poorly assembled. However, the drat section appears to be glued-on. Has anyone else run into similar? Any advice for getting them off?

I want to do something neat with them, but it's not worth the effort if I can't get the things totally apart for tweaking.

After unscrewing the feed and nib assembly, the converter doesn't look like it comes off. I gave up and took the pen apart to cannibalize the feeder tube for my Ahab. It's destined for the "fountain pen job lot" pile I have going for eBay.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I am looking at the parker urban (matte black with etched lines), anyone in the thread have one? Impressions?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Verdugo posted:

After unscrewing the feed and nib assembly, the converter doesn't look like it comes off. I gave up and took the pen apart to cannibalize the feeder tube for my Ahab. It's destined for the "fountain pen job lot" pile I have going for eBay.

It's not that sac that I can't remove, it's the actual body. I can remove the barrel, and gently tease out the nib and feed, but that's it. I'm rather suspicious that they're fakes. Still, I'll do what I can with them.

Guess I'll have to buy more Dukes. :china::hf::homebrew:

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Kerbtree posted:

It's not that sac that I can't remove, it's the actual body. I can remove the barrel, and gently tease out the nib and feed, but that's it. I'm rather suspicious that they're fakes. Still, I'll do what I can with them.

Guess I'll have to buy more Dukes. :china::hf::homebrew:

It has some type of glue in there. Soak it in some hot water for 5-10 minutes and it should come off.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Weird. Mine unscrewed fine.

Anyhow I picked this pen up, it needs work but I don't know if it is even worth fixing. The SF Bay Pen Posse People on Facebook think it's a Sheaffer but it doesn't have any imprints except "IRIDIUM POINT" on the nib. Anyone have any idea what pen this is?

It looks like it should be a button filler, but the button assembly is missing. The little black cap on the bottom unscrews and part of the assembly falls out. It also needs a new nib. :S I think I wasted money on this piece of junk.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Someone posted a Parker Challenger for comparison and they're close enough in appearance, so I think it's a Challenger-clone by a no-name maker.

Steel or gold nib? Any tipping left?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

lady flash posted:

I'm planning on going if I can convince someone to accompany me. $5 entrance trumps gas prices. I have no idea what to expect, but I'm still looking forward to it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Yay, my first 14k nib pen - and it's hella older than me! Wahl Eversharp Symphony 713 flex nib. :whatup:

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

aldantefax posted:

Yay, my first 14k nib pen - and it's hella older than me! Wahl Eversharp Symphony 713 flex nib. :whatup:

Nice buy! I've been wanting to try an Eversharp flex for a long time.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Re: that unidentified pen a few posts up - as mentioned before, IRIDIUM POINT or IRIDIUM POINT GERMANY simply means a nib where the metal on the tip came from Germany and then the nib itself was built somewhere else (hint: in China.)

You're probably just looking at a generic pen from one of those ubiquitous airplane catalogs or Levenger stores. Especially with a nib like that, the chance it has any actual value is close to nil.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Let's talk pen repair and restoration.
More specifically, resources, names, websites. Loop me in.
I've got a brace of pens that's been sitting at a supposedly well respected repairman's shop for around 10 months now, his explanation is that 'I work 9 months out it just takes time' and honestly, I only have a couple of pens worth that amount of patience (and they're in perfect condition so it's a moot point) so at the risk of sounding pissy, I'm just tired of waiting and would like to review my options for future use.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

iostream.h posted:

Let's talk pen repair and restoration.
More specifically, resources, names, websites. Loop me in.
I've got a brace of pens that's been sitting at a supposedly well respected repairman's shop for around 10 months now, his explanation is that 'I work 9 months out it just takes time' and honestly, I only have a couple of pens worth that amount of patience (and they're in perfect condition so it's a moot point) so at the risk of sounding pissy, I'm just tired of waiting and would like to review my options for future use.

I have a book called Pen Repair by Jim Marshall and Laurence Oldfield. It mainly deals with vintage pens but is absolutely fantastic, with loads of diagrams and instructions on how to repair dozens of different pens. It also explains other pen related stuff like nib grinding and smoothing in detail too. I'm not sure where it came from as it was a gift, but you can probably find it online.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Get a copy of 'Da Book' and spend some time on FPN/FPF in their respective Repair/Restoration subforums. Buy some cheap pens to experiment on - Wearevers are good for this.

You can get 'Da Book' and repair supplies from Pendemonium or Richard Binder.

Once you have a little experience it may be tempting to offer your repair services to others. I gently suggest you deny this temptation; it will only lead to pain.

Kessel posted:

IRIDIUM POINT or IRIDIUM POINT GERMANY simply means a nib where the metal on the tip came from Germany and then the nib itself was built somewhere else (hint: in China.)

Sure, that's the case for modern pens. The implication from Verdugo is that this is a vintage pen. IRIDIUM POINT in this case may mean a gold-washed steel nib but - unless it's a replacement nib - it's unlikely to be from China unless the whole pen itself is from China.

Verdugo - if you rub the pen with your fingers enough to get the thing warm, what does it smell like? Camphor/vapo-rub/tiger balm? Burning tyres?

And why didn't you bring it to Posse so I could inspect and ask these silly questions in person?

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 16, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Once you have a little experience it may be tempting to offer your repair services to others. I gently suggest you deny this temptation; it will only lead to pain.
Haha hell no, not a chance.
I'm willing to do a lot of things but I don't deal in areas of a lot of 'corksniffery' (for example, I sell a LOT of guitars and misc equipment, I will NOT sell vintage equipment myself, gently caress no), thanks for the advice tho'. :)

Thanks for the tips! I'm gonna check these out, I really just want to do my own work on my increasingly larger collection of 'old, cool but broken' pens.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I'm curious, does this statement come from a past experience?

I think repairing pens for people might be quite fun, as long as they agreed that if I broke it it wouldn't be my problem :v:.

Edit: Can you even break something that's already broken?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Verdugo - if you rub the pen with your fingers enough to get the thing warm, what does it smell like? Camphor/vapo-rub/tiger balm? Burning tyres?

And why didn't you bring it to Posse so I could inspect and ask these silly questions in person?

Because I live in Mississippi, it's a hell of a drive to talk fountain pens :p I'm going to check it out tonight, I haven't had the chance to look at it in depth since my original post.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Vitamins posted:

I'm curious, does this statement come from a past experience?

Only as someone who sent pens to a new-ish repairer who dawdled and, it turned out, had been contracting most of his repairs out to someone else. He's vanished from the scene now and every so often I'll hear about some new fuckup he perpetrated on an innocent person's pen.

You can definitely break something while repairing: either make a problem worse or create some new problem (e.g. mangling a nib during a re-sac). Also a half-assed repair can seem to solve an issue but make it much worse after some time has passed.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Vitamins posted:

I think repairing pens for people might be quite fun, as long as they agreed that if I broke it it wouldn't be my problem :v:.
As much as I enjoy the hobby, the amount of sperging over at FPN over minute, tiny details that I'd never notice nor worry about is enough to warn me off that route. Goons, maybe, I've offered to hone straight razors over in the other thread since I've gotten more confident but I'd never consider offering that to the general public, much less someone who's an aficionado in the hobby.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I finally got a chance to give this pen some tlc.

The nib itself is gold/brass colored but it's worn down to a steel color on the mangled nib. The pen body itself isn't celluloid. I guess that puts this pen in the camp of cheap plastic pen knockoff as opposed to the diamond in the rough I thought it was.

DeathByDoubleDip
Feb 9, 2009

Edit: Wait, am I supposed to be applying as much force to the nib as this guy? My music nib doesn't seem to flex as much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2I1PwuXHkg

DeathByDoubleDip fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 17, 2013

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

DeathByDoubleDip posted:

Edit: Wait, am I supposed to be applying as much force to the nib as this guy? My music nib doesn't seem to flex as much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2I1PwuXHkg

I'm loving the sound it makes when he writes; it's almost like a marker.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kheldragar posted:

I'm loving the sound it makes when he writes; it's almost like a marker.
The broad on one of my Montblanc squeaks a bit when I write with it on good paper, it sounds awesome in a library where it's all quiet.

Here's something I learned last weekend.
Go around and hit the estate sales, normally most of them are run by 2 or 3 locals who specialize in that thing. None of them seem to give a drat about fountain pens and after meeting them a few times 'oh hey so you guys are here too? WOW awesome, got pens?' they've started holding on to them for me and I just pick them up whenever. I end up with a lot of junk because it's a 'hey don't worry about sorting it I won't pick and choose, you just give me a good price on the lot and I'll walk up and give you money every week or two'. Works out well. I've been doing it for shaving gear too.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
It's been months since my last pen, I'm jonesing!

What's this from my mailbox today?

A pocket pen of some sort?

Well, well, it's a Franklin-Christoph Model 40 Pocket in "Fire & Ice" I loved the looks when I first saw it on their site. It's clear acrylic, like most demonstrators, but they left the interior unpolished. The "ice" models are only available without a clip and I think that's for the best.

It accepts international short cartridges but that's boring when all it needs is a little grease on the threads to be used as an eyedropper filler!

Loaded with blood Diamine "Red Dragon"

I expected it would take a few minutes for the feed to fill and be ready to write but it was flowing well as soon as I screwed it together.
I selected a custom ground Mike Masuyama medium cursive italic nib. This is my first cursive italic so I'll have to learn how to write with it but it's smooth and wet, just how I like them!

This is my first pen from Franklin-Christoph and I'm quite impressed.
http://www.franklin-christoph.com/model-40-pocket.html

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

That is a beautiful pen. The preceding sentence was an understatement.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's a good ink to buy if you're not looking to spend a bunch of money and just want a basic black ink to start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Aurora Black. It's the darkest black I've used and its not finicky.