Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't think there's a good replacement for the Demon in terms of being a 4-mana enormous flying fatty. Nightveil Spectre could be a substitute as far as giving you massive devotion and card advantage goes, but is still kind of pricey (though it may go back down over the next few weeks).

In terms of other improvements, I think you're probably going to want to bump it those singletons to at least two-ofs if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Here's my latest build of Grixis Control, the only problems it has is against RBW/BW midrange, since the Whip just punishes me badly. I need advice on what counters to add, and what to replace with another Jace, AoT, and how many Thoughtseizes should be in here, along with what they should replace. Other than that, it's a pretty good deck. I might need to add another Thassa though, just in case. What are your opinions on it? Also, is the sideboard good?

Grixis Control

Lands
3 Blood Crypt
6 Island
4 Mountain
4 Steam Vents
5 Swamp
2 Temple of Deceit
1 Watery Grave
Spells
3 Doom Blade
4 Dreadbore
3 Essence Scatter
4 Mizzium Mortars
4 Negate
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Counterflux
3 Dissolve
1 Hero's Downfall
2 Read the Bones
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Steam Augury
1 Thoughtflare
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
Creatures
2 Desecration Demon
1 Aetherling
1 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius

Sideboard:
3 Dark Betrayal
3 Pithing Needle
2 Rakdos Charm
1 Counterflux
2 Far // Away
2 Lifebane Zombie
1 Underworld Connections
1 Slaughter Games

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

TheLawinator posted:

My buddy made a deck for our first standard event ever today. We're basically looking for alternatives to desecration demon (are there any?) and anything else that's money.
I was confused by this at first so I checked tcgplayer. Apparently demon is now $9.00 :psyduck:

I guess it is a lot better without the really good threaten effects around anymore, still seems a bit much.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Algid posted:

I was confused by this at first so I checked tcgplayer. Apparently demon is now $9.00 :psyduck:

I guess it is a lot better without the really good threaten effects around anymore, still seems a bit much.

I was confused too, I picked up a playset of them for maybe $3 at the Prerelease last month. It had a really strong showing at the PT though- we're going to see a lot of prices spike.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

TheLawinator posted:

My buddy made a deck for our first standard event ever today. We're basically looking for alternatives to desecration demon (are there any?) and anything else that's money.

If you splashed white Alms Beast might be an option, although a lackluster one. What color are your scrylands?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Algid posted:

There aren't nearly as many token creatures running around, and life actually matters now, so he went up because he became a lot more playable.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
Geez, I didn't realize that Nightveil Specter was an 8 dollar card now. I bought a playset in like May for a dollar just because I wanted to build "steal-your-deck-and-kill-you-with-it.dek"

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

inSTAALed posted:

Geez, I didn't realize that Nightveil Specter was an 8 dollar card now. I bought a playset in like May for a dollar just because I wanted to build "steal-your-deck-and-kill-you-with-it.dek"

Did this as well, though I did it because I wanted a fun devotion black or blue deck. Apparently both are strong with it now though! :science:

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

I was actually fiddling around with a UW version with Hidden Strings because Ciphering HD onto Fabled Hero lets you untap EVERYONE and trigger them. Even with a minimal field of Phalanx Leader and Fabled Hero you get:

Hidden Strings (tap their guys down)
Cipher onto Fabled Hero
Swing with both
2 damage with first strike (untap Phalanx Leader and Fabled Hero)
PL gets +1/+1, FH gets 2 x +1/+1
6 damage with normal strike (untap PL and FH again)
PL gets +1/+1, FH gets 2 x +1/+1

And you end up with a 3/3 Phalanx Leader and a 6/6 Fabled Hero.

Plus, you get Battlwise Hoplite. :D

I took those cards and built this up around it. http://deckstats.net/decks/6237/39118-heroic-shenanigans
Probably remove the spear for a bident for more card draw.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Boxn posted:

If you splashed white Alms Beast might be an option, although a lackluster one. What color are your scrylands?

We've got 2 UB ones and a WB one. Tempted to try a couple of guildgates (no more than 6 tapped lands though) to splash alms beast or let the phalanxes attack if we have extra mana.

Also, I'm messing around with an enchantment based white weenie deck with a couple of Ajani's Chosen. It's pretty nice being able to put an enchantment on a phalanx leader, getting a free 2/2, then moving the aura to the cat so when the leader eventually gets doom bladed my threats are diversified.

Edit: It's also cool when you have heliod on board and every time you make a cleric you get a free 2/2.

TheLawinator fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 14, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

kzin602 posted:

I took those cards and built this up around it. http://deckstats.net/decks/6237/39118-heroic-shenanigans
Probably remove the spear for a bident for more card draw.

Yeah. That was the wall I always ran into with my tests was card drawing. Even with the Bidents, I would probably cut a few islands for plains just because getting WW by turn 3 is kind of important. You can wait to drop Bident when you're about to run out of cards.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Ok, so this is the deck I want to bring to my first FNM standard. I like a solid portion of the cards in here, but I'm not totally set on the eidolons, they're less 1 drops than 4 drops unless i have a really aggressive hand. Sideboard-wise I actually really like the idea of Soul Tithe for non-white planeswalkers and such. Goes a ways to mitigate the mana advantage that control decks might have.

Deck: Mono-White Enchantment Aggro

//Main
4 Ajani's Chosen
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Phalanx Leader
4 Fabled Hero
4 Precinct Captain
4 Gift of Orzhova
1 Path of Bravery
2 Spear of Heliod
2 Sphere of Safety
24 Plains
3 Gods Willing
2 Brave the Elements
1 Heliod, God of the Sun

//Sideboard
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
2 Soul Tithe
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Rest in Peace
4 Banisher Priest
4 Hopeful Eidolon

Display deck statistics

TheLawinator fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 15, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

inSTAALed posted:

Same, I wanted to run them in a scrub-league Esper Modern deck that I'll probably never actually build. I even got a foil one!

In other news, I played my first EDH event last weekend and my Crosis deck was dogshit compared to everyone else's (pieces of FTV:20 were up for grabs so I imagine a lot of people had their "competitive" decks in tow). I'm just getting back into the game and don't have a lot of great EDH cards, so I tried to make do with what I had as a control deck with some card-stealing effects to take advantage of the sweet cards in the format. This is what I played, with a couple of tweaks from cards that I picked up during the event-

Deck: Cheap Crosis EDH

Display deck statistics

My biggest problem was not being used to playing control and/or EDH and never knowing what to counter, remove, or steal, but another big problem is that I just don't have the good and/or big creatures to take me home. I was under the impression that the format would be slower than how it felt on gameday so I did err towards more fatties than I probably should have. Even so, I feel like I have too few creatures right now and without a detailed look at my stockpile I couldn't say what else to include, fatty or non-fatty. If I want to stick with the Grixis control idea, what are some worthwhile creatures or kinds of creatures to slot in here? Is it worthwhile to hang onto some or all of the stealing effects if I can get some more worthy creatures in here (I did cut a Persuasion after the event, since I never actually cast it when I drew it in the event). FWIW my store is doing a sealed tourney with the Commander pre-cons and I plan on picking up the Grixis one there, so while I don't know its contents I'm sure there will be stuff worth putting into my own deck. If you're brave enough to dig through my inventoried cards for advice, my Deckbox is here.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 15, 2013

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Just getting back into Magic after a number of years, and right now playing with a large group at work. Looking to maybe start going to FNM events and stuff. Put together this Blue/Black deck for Standard, and looking for any tips that might help. Don't mind spending money to pickup missing pieces, as long as it's reasonable....

Deck: Blue/Black

//Lands
11 Island
10 Swamp
2 Temple of Deceit

//Spells
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
1 Crypt Incursion
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Diabolic Tutor
4 Dimir Charm
1 Dissolve
2 Doom Blade
3 Far // Away
3 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Mind Grind
3 Psychic Strike
3 Read the Bones
3 Voyage's End

//Creatures
2 Consuming Aberration
3 Desecration Demon
3 Duskmantle Guildmage
3 Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
4 Omenspeaker

Display deck statistics

Deckbox collection: http://deckbox.org/sets/479429?s=j&o=d

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

inSTAALed posted:

And I was planning on buying a playset of the promo version too.

loving dammit :(

Equality
Feb 26, 2007

TheLawinator posted:

Ok, so this is the deck I want to bring to my first FNM standard. I like a solid portion of the cards in here, but I'm not totally set on the eidolons, they're less 1 drops than 4 drops unless i have a really aggressive hand. Sideboard-wise I actually really like the idea of Soul Tithe for non-white planeswalkers and such. Goes a ways to mitigate the mana advantage that control decks might have.

Deck: Mono-White Enchantment Aggro

//Main
4 Ajani's Chosen
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Phalanx Leader
4 Fabled Hero
4 Precinct Captain
4 Gift of Orzhova
1 Path of Bravery
2 Spear of Heliod
2 Sphere of Safety
24 Plains
3 Gods Willing
2 Brave the Elements
1 Heliod, God of the Sun

//Sideboard
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
2 Soul Tithe
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Rest in Peace
4 Banisher Priest
4 Hopeful Eidolon

Display deck statistics

This deck looks like a lot of fun and I might try to build it this upcoming month as my first ever attempt at FNM standard. What do you use to keep track of all the cats and the 1/1 counters you might end up with?

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Equality posted:

This deck looks like a lot of fun and I might try to build it this upcoming month as my first ever attempt at FNM standard. What do you use to keep track of all the cats and the 1/1 counters you might end up with?

I'm planning on something similar (Safety Dance v3). I use a combination of tokens and dice to track the minions, and small glass beads for +1/+1 counters and planeswalker loyalty.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

So I'm still trying to figure out a deck to take to my LGS that I'm happy with and have fun playing, and was inspired by the Prime Speaker BUG deck that was at an SCG event last week or the week before - I never really had much chance to check out the list that was played there, so this deck is basically built from scratch using the deck name for inspiration and with one clear goal: ramp the gently caress out of your deck and drop massive fatties as early as possible.

Deck: Prime Speaker BUG

//Main
4 Breeding Pool
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Watery Grave
2 Temple of Mystery
5 Forest
4 Swamp
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Boon Satyr
3 Dreg Mangler
3 Desecration Demon
3 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Prime Speaker Zegana
3 Far // Away //
3 Read the Bones
2 Golgari Charm
2 Bow of Nylea
2 Whip of Erebos
2 Putrefy

Display deck statistics

Goldfishing the deck is fun but I'm pretty sure there's still a lot of work that needs to be done in regards to how the deck needs to be adjusted to meet my local meta. I'm worried about having two of each of the green and black legendary weapons, but having a singleton of them feels like they'll never really pop up enough times. As well as that, I don't know what to take out for them quite yet (although I'm sure I'll find a few cards when I've tested the deck properly). I've found a couple neat interactions, notably that an attacking Polukranos will mow down pretty much everything on your opponent's side of the board when you make it monstrous if you also control a Bow of Nylea, as the bow grants attacking creatures deathtouch. :getin: Also, reanimating Zegana with the whip when you control something big is something else I'm really excited about doing. The idea of chaining Zegana after Zegana and drawing into more of them makes me feel a little dirty.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

an_mutt posted:

Deck: Prime Speaker BUG mething big is something else I'm really excited about doing. The idea of chaining Zegana after Zegana and drawing into more of them makes me feel a little dirty.

Cut one of the crappier creatures (mostly referring to dreg mangler I guess) for at least 2 thoughtseize main and maybe 4 in the 75 somewhere.

Also mess around with a mix of abrupt decay and putrefy. Gainsay is a good sideboard card to consider since mono-u is going to be big for a week or two at least.

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.
Been toying with a R/W combo-ish deck, wondering if you guys could offer some feedback. Deck list looks like this right now-

4x Purphoros
4x Assemble the Legion
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Guttersnipe
4x Anger of the Gods
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
4x Shock
4x pacifism (Mostly for anything I can't burn to death on the spot, I hate using it though)
2x Wild Guess (Felt like I needed some card draw, and an extra Purph is a totally dead card most of the time)
4x Sacred Foundry
4x R/W scrylands
14 mountains

Obviously Purph/Assemble is the combo part of the deck, but the pyromancers can do a lot of work on their own in some situations.

It seems to do well against aggro and fold against islands and really folds against mono black. Once they start dropping demons it doesn't have a lot of answers without an assemble factory to make tokens to sac. It's a ton of fun though, so I'm hoping there's a way to tweak it that I'm not realizing right now to make it a bit more playable. Is there something I can change to make it more competitive, or is it a hopeless idea? I just started playing again with RtR, and this is the first deck I've tried building without at least a general idea that someone else had already made it playable.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
You could drop Purp to 3. Don't want it in your opening hand.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Granstein posted:

Been toying with a R/W combo-ish deck, wondering if you guys could offer some feedback. Deck list looks like this right now-

4x Purphoros
4x Assemble the Legion
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Guttersnipe
4x Anger of the Gods
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
4x Shock
4x pacifism (Mostly for anything I can't burn to death on the spot, I hate using it though)
2x Wild Guess (Felt like I needed some card draw, and an extra Purph is a totally dead card most of the time)
4x Sacred Foundry
4x R/W scrylands
14 mountains

Obviously Purph/Assemble is the combo part of the deck, but the pyromancers can do a lot of work on their own in some situations.

It seems to do well against aggro and fold against islands and really folds against mono black. Once they start dropping demons it doesn't have a lot of answers without an assemble factory to make tokens to sac. It's a ton of fun though, so I'm hoping there's a way to tweak it that I'm not realizing right now to make it a bit more playable. Is there something I can change to make it more competitive, or is it a hopeless idea? I just started playing again with RtR, and this is the first deck I've tried building without at least a general idea that someone else had already made it playable.

Why not go 4x chained to the rocks, 4x Sphere of safety, and 4x blind obedience, and make the most kickass safety dance ever? I've been tossing around an idea like that and it feels hilarious. I call it Pillow Farts.

4x Chained to the rocks
4x Blind Obedience
4x Sphere of Safety
4x Purphoros
4x Assemble the legion
4x Elspeth
2x Heliod
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
2x Anger of the Gods

4x Sacred Foundry
4x R/W scryland
10x Mountain
6x Plains

Find room for 4x Pacifism somewhere (maybe instead of Heliod and Anger)???

Build up a few enchantments (You can replace burn spells, Elspeth, and Heliod with Enchantment Creatures if you want) and then just sit behind your safety sphere and wait for assemble the legion to poop out enough dudes to swing in, or have a purphoros out and let assemble the legion poop out enough dudes to dome the opponent.

It seems really fun, and really stupid. Just the way I like my decks.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Granstein posted:

4x Purphoros
4x Assemble the Legion
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Guttersnipe
4x Anger of the Gods
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
4x Shock
4x Sacred Foundry
4x R/W scrylands
14 mountains

My roommate tried this list against my stock U/W and it's an impossible matchup for him. It went about 50-50 against Selesnya aggro (although often folded to EoT Advent of the Wurms)

I think a way to go is at least -4 Guttersnipe +4 Chandra's Phoenix to give you a slightly better game against control. Chandra, Pyromaster should see play maindeck too, probably.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Granstein posted:

4x Purphoros
4x Assemble the Legion
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Guttersnipe
4x Anger of the Gods
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
4x Shock
4x Sacred Foundry
4x R/W scrylands
14 mountains

Not sure what you budget is but here's the Boros list I have been testing:

It's pretty decent. Boros Reckoner plus Anger of the Gods gives you some more reach against demons. I have only played against one control deck so far, esper with Ashiok and Jace. I added a couple more dragons to the sideboard so I can bring in a few more threats for those match ups.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Considering a more budget-friendly version of Safety Dance 3.0:

When things improve in the months ahead I'll likely swap out Ajani's Chosen for Elspeth.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Looking for feedback on this standard deck im hopefully going to take to game day this weekend!

Deck: Descartes

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
9 Mountain
9 Swamp

//Spells
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Doom Blade
3 Dreadbore
2 Duress
1 Liliana of the Dark Realms
3 Mind Rot
1 Rakdos's Return
4 Shrieking Affliction
2 Skull Rend
1 Strionic Resonator
2 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
2 Drainpipe Vermin
4 Lifebane Zombie
4 Liliana's Reaver
4 Sire of Insanity
2 Slate Street Ruffian

//Sideboard
3 Slaughter Games
2 Skull Rend
1 Thoughtseize
1 Stab Wound
2 Devour Flesh
2 Corpse Blockade
3 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1 Diabolic Tutor

Display deck statistics

Chandra and Liliana I'm quite unsure about. They can hang around and do stuff after Sire hits the board, but apart from that I'm still unsure about them

Skull Rend's are in only because im lacking the play-set of RR currently

Help and opinions greatly appreciated, this is my first Standard Deck

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Granstein posted:

4x Purphoros
4x Assemble the Legion
4x Young Pyromancer
4x Guttersnipe
4x Anger of the Gods
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
4x Shock
4x Sacred Foundry
4x R/W scrylands
14 mountains

You need 4 Boros Charm in there. It's a life saver against Verdict and it can also dome your opponent for 4 to end the game or double strike an unblocked creature. If you can find or buy 4 Legion's Initiative you should also toss those in the sideboard against Control. It shuts down Verdict and any other mass removal, even overloaded Cyclonic Rift.

I also agree with whoever said to replace the Guttersnipes with Chandra's Phoenix. That's way more aggro and again, also better against Control. Chained to the Rocks is better than Pacifism unless your local meta is red-heavy, because then you have to watch out for Peak Eruption. In that case I see nothing wrong with Pacifism.

Oh yeah and take out 1 Purph. You never want more than 3 of a God in any deck IMHO.

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007

an_mutt posted:

So I'm still trying to figure out a deck to take to my LGS that I'm happy with and have fun playing, and was inspired by the Prime Speaker BUG deck that was at an SCG event last week or the week before - I never really had much chance to check out the list that was played there, so this deck is basically built from scratch using the deck name for inspiration and with one clear goal: ramp the gently caress out of your deck and drop massive fatties as early as possible.

Deck: Prime Speaker BUG

//Main
4 Breeding Pool
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Watery Grave
2 Temple of Mystery
5 Forest
4 Swamp
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Boon Satyr
3 Dreg Mangler
3 Desecration Demon
3 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Prime Speaker Zegana
3 Far // Away //
3 Read the Bones
2 Golgari Charm
2 Bow of Nylea
2 Whip of Erebos
2 Putrefy

Display deck statistics

Goldfishing the deck is fun but I'm pretty sure there's still a lot of work that needs to be done in regards to how the deck needs to be adjusted to meet my local meta. I'm worried about having two of each of the green and black legendary weapons, but having a singleton of them feels like they'll never really pop up enough times. As well as that, I don't know what to take out for them quite yet (although I'm sure I'll find a few cards when I've tested the deck properly). I've found a couple neat interactions, notably that an attacking Polukranos will mow down pretty much everything on your opponent's side of the board when you make it monstrous if you also control a Bow of Nylea, as the bow grants attacking creatures deathtouch. :getin: Also, reanimating Zegana with the whip when you control something big is something else I'm really excited about doing. The idea of chaining Zegana after Zegana and drawing into more of them makes me feel a little dirty.

Do you know where I could find the deck list that was played I was intrested in it as well but never saw anything anywhere about it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh yeah and take out 1 Purph. You never want more than 3 of a God in any deck IMHO.

The Devotion decks at the pro tour played 4 Nylea or 4 Thassa.

Kind of a different story but just saying that's not a hard and fast rule.

Also Legion's Initiative is kind of awkward with tokens - I don't think it's really that much better for the control matchup, although it does let your assemble tokens hit through a Jace +1 which is nice.

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

Elephant Ambush posted:

You need 4 Boros Charm in there. It's a life saver against Verdict and it can also dome your opponent for 4 to end the game or double strike an unblocked creature. If you can find or buy 4 Legion's Initiative you should also toss those in the sideboard against Control. It shuts down Verdict and any other mass removal, even overloaded Cyclonic Rift.

I also agree with whoever said to replace the Guttersnipes with Chandra's Phoenix. That's way more aggro and again, also better against Control. Chained to the Rocks is better than Pacifism unless your local meta is red-heavy, because then you have to watch out for Peak Eruption. In that case I see nothing wrong with Pacifism.

There actually are four Boros Charms in the sideboard, but they were honestly more to avoid getting assemble blown up than to save the pyromancers. I guess they're more useful for keeping pyromancers alive though, since with assemble it's mostly detention spheres that end up interacting with it. Legions initiative is interesting though, since not only does it save whatever creatures might be on board...It should also trigger purp when they come back in to play, right? That could be a really interesting addition if I can track down a few copies.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Note that Legion's Initiative gets rid of all of your tokens. All other creatures you control will trigger Purp though, even if he was flickered along with them.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

TheLawinator posted:

Monowhite deck stuff

Tested for a couple hours against mono-red this morning. Having no solid play until turn 3 kinda sucks, since Precinct Captain gets jetted or striked. Probably gonna find a spot for blind obedience.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Even though I've been doing moderately well with this deck, I'm renovating it and adding 1 Jace, AoT and 3 Thoughtseizes. The major problem I need help on is what to replace for the Thoughtseizes - I'll be replacing Niv with Jace when it gets shipped to me, but I need help for the other slots. I'm planning on taking this to GP Albuquerque, but I really need the help with the Thoughtseize slots.

Deck: Grixis Control
//Lands
3 Blood Crypt
6 Island
4 Mountain
4 Steam Vents
5 Swamp
2 Temple of Deceit
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
3 Doom Blade
4 Dreadbore
3 Essence Scatter
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Negate
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Counterflux
3 Dissolve
1 Hero's Downfall
2 Read the Bones
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
2 Steam Augury
1 Thoughtflare

//Creatures
2 Desecration Demon
1 Aetherling
Deckstats

Overall most matchups go well, since I kill or counter what they cast (most of my meta is aggro and midrange, with 2 dedicated Esper control players), but the biggest bane of mine is the Whip of Erebos, whenever it sticks, I get my rear end handed to me, although I recently put Rakdos Charm in my sideboard, which should help whenever it pops up. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Well, I've come up with something silly as -gently caress- to play with, and am looking for some feedback.

Deck: Orzhovery

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
10 Plains
9 Swamp

//Spells
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Gods Willing
4 One Thousand Lashes
4 Swift Justice
3 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
3 Agent of the Fates
4 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
3 Boros Reckoner
3 Dutiful Thrull
3 High Priest of Penance
2 Obzedat, Ghost Council

Display deck statistics

Idea should be straightforward enough: Agent is my primary rear end in a top hat, and I run spells that let me use other, shittier creatures to unexpected advantage.
Using Thousand Lashes as my removal might seem questionable - but I love the card, and it also buffs Ethereal, as well as keeping up the constant punishment on enemies while in play.
Reckoner was thrown in there to go along with the 'dont touch my stuff' theme of the deck - and doubles as a fantastic way to set off High Priest in a pinch.
Blood baron is sort of the wincon/big rear end in a top hat - alongside Obzedat of course.
Whip is there to bring all of this nonsense back for round two!

Any and all feedback is appreciated! Things I should sideboard? It performs surprisingly well - my biggest recurring problem is netting 3 white for an early reckoner, but I don't particularly NEED him in play super early most of the time. Penance is a HUGE cockblocker early game, thrull never goes away (and can be hilarious pumped up with Ethereal).

Is there ANY card that would allow for recurring 1 damage to a creature? I have dreams of buffing Penance up and then whacking him every turn for infinite removal >_>

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 17, 2013

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

Boxn posted:

Even though I've been doing moderately well with this deck, I'm renovating it and adding 1 Jace, AoT and 3 Thoughtseizes. The major problem I need help on is what to replace for the Thoughtseizes - I'll be replacing Niv with Jace when it gets shipped to me, but I need help for the other slots. I'm planning on taking this to GP Albuquerque, but I really need the help with the Thoughtseize slots.

Deck: Grixis Control
//Lands
3 Blood Crypt
6 Island
4 Mountain
4 Steam Vents
5 Swamp
2 Temple of Deceit
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
3 Doom Blade
4 Dreadbore
3 Essence Scatter
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Negate
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Counterflux
3 Dissolve
1 Hero's Downfall
2 Read the Bones
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
2 Steam Augury
1 Thoughtflare

//Creatures
2 Desecration Demon
1 Aetherling
Deckstats

Overall most matchups go well, since I kill or counter what they cast (most of my meta is aggro and midrange, with 2 dedicated Esper control players), but the biggest bane of mine is the Whip of Erebos, whenever it sticks, I get my rear end handed to me, although I recently put Rakdos Charm in my sideboard, which should help whenever it pops up. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

I love Grixis control, my version is pretty close to yours. I don't really like Thassa in the deck without ways to turn her on, and especially without many creatures to use her with. Negate in the mainboard seems iffy too, if you're set on that, maybe try Izzet Charm? It's not for everybody but I swear by it, I love the drat thing. Additionally Far//Away missing here is pretty surprising, that card is insanely good, and a two-for-1 vs most Selesnya decks. Another thing you might want is Rakdos's Return, running that out for x=3-4 can be completely backbreaking for midrange and control. I also run Frostburn Weird, but that's because I think he owns. If you're set on Thassa, maybe he's a consideration, too.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Soothing Cacophony posted:

I love Grixis control, my version is pretty close to yours. I don't really like Thassa in the deck without ways to turn her on, and especially without many creatures to use her with. Negate in the mainboard seems iffy too, if you're set on that, maybe try Izzet Charm? It's not for everybody but I swear by it, I love the drat thing. Additionally Far//Away missing here is pretty surprising, that card is insanely good, and a two-for-1 vs most Selesnya decks. Another thing you might want is Rakdos's Return, running that out for x=3-4 can be completely backbreaking for midrange and control. I also run Frostburn Weird, but that's because I think he owns. If you're set on Thassa, maybe he's a consideration, too.

I'm not set on turning Thassa into a creature, but she is nuts with just the Scry 1 and ability to make things unblockable, which is why she's in here. Anger and an Overloaded Mizzium Mortars takes care of Selesnya pretty well, and I would probably only use the Counter portion of Izzet Charm since everything else is covered in my deck, which is why I'm mainboarding Negate, although I might switch one of those for an Essence Scatter if needed. Far // Away is in my side, since it'll mostly come in matches where I need them to sac something, like a hexproof dude (although with Anger and Mizzium I'm already considering cutting Far//Away for 2 Returns), 3 Dark Betrayals come in against BW and Dega Midrange, very useful for killing Obzedat if it's in my hand and I don't counter it. Where do you think I should fit in the 3 Thoughtseizes, that's something I'm having a lot of trouble with. Do you mind if I can see your list as well?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

If your only creatures are Desecration Demon and Aetherling how does Thassa's unblockability ability help you?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mr. Peepers posted:

If your only creatures are Desecration Demon and Aetherling how does Thassa's unblockability ability help you?

Demons won't be blocked in the air or traded for. Even then, then Scry 1 is nice, although it is sparse - maybe I should just take her out and replace that slot with a Thoughtseize, now that you mention it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If you're only running one copy then I agree, especially if you're essentially ignoring the creature half of the card. If you were only interested in the scry part then you could simply replace it with another Read the Bones if you wanted, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

Boxn posted:

I'm not set on turning Thassa into a creature, but she is nuts with just the Scry 1 and ability to make things unblockable, which is why she's in here. Anger and an Overloaded Mizzium Mortars takes care of Selesnya pretty well, and I would probably only use the Counter portion of Izzet Charm since everything else is covered in my deck, which is why I'm mainboarding Negate, although I might switch one of those for an Essence Scatter if needed. Far // Away is in my side, since it'll mostly come in matches where I need them to sac something, like a hexproof dude (although with Anger and Mizzium I'm already considering cutting Far//Away for 2 Returns), 3 Dark Betrayals come in against BW and Dega Midrange, very useful for killing Obzedat if it's in my hand and I don't counter it. Where do you think I should fit in the 3 Thoughtseizes, that's something I'm having a lot of trouble with. Do you mind if I can see your list as well?
Sure thing.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
3 Blood Crypt
3 Dimir Guildgate
3 Island
3 Izzet Guildgate
3 Mountain
3 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Steam Vents
3 Swamp
3 Watery Grave

//Spells
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Cyclonic Rift
2 Dissolve
1 Doom Blade
1 Dreadbore
3 Far
1 Hero's Downfall
1 Izzet Charm
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Opportunity
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Ral Zarek
1 Ratchet Bomb
3 Steam Augury
1 Syncopate

//Creatures
4 Desecration Demon
4 Frostburn Weird
1 Ętherling

Display deck statistics

This is what I'm rolling right now. I mostly made it to play all the goddamn Ral Zareks I opened while drafting Dragon's Maze, but it's come to be one of my favorite styles of deck. Sideboard is a mess and I don't have any copies of Thoughtseize or I'd totally run it, and I'll kill for another copy or two of Jace but $30-60 is a little much for magical cardboard at the moment. A little bit different style from your list, probably, so grain of salt, more tap-out with fewer counterspells.

I think you'd be best served taking out Thassa and 2 Negates for the Thoughtseizes, if you ask me. Negate hurts your game 1 chances vs both control and midrange, especially if you pick up two with nothing to use them on, whereas Thoughtseize is almost always useful.

• Locked thread