Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

cadfael posted:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/10/16/jozy-altidore-exclusive-interview-about-world-cup-mls-sunderland

Jozy's been out and about in Sunderland's Roker park, chatting about their poor start to the season and the MLS. Now that the International window has closed for a bit and things hopefully settling down over at the Stadium of Light with Gus Poyet now at the helm, Im confident of an improvement in Sunderlands form with many goals to come for the big lad, hopefully starting against Swansea at the weekend.

what an articulate young man. makes you wonder why he's so stupid on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

cadfael posted:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2013/10/16/jozy-altidore-exclusive-interview-about-world-cup-mls-sunderland

Jozy's been out and about in Sunderland's Roker park, chatting about their poor start to the season and the MLS. Now that the International window has closed for a bit and things hopefully settling down over at the Stadium of Light with Gus Poyet now at the helm, Im confident of an improvement in Sunderlands form with many goals to come for the big lad, hopefully starting against Swansea at the weekend.

How can you describe things as 'settling down' after they've just sacked their manager after 10 games and their new one has yet to have one?

It's either wishful thinking or idiocy.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Something divided by zero isn't infinite you shitlords

Jozy could math better than you

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

maths

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

The Mash posted:

It's undefined but it tends to +/- infinity depending on which direction you approach from

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

The Mash posted:

It's not "nothing" either though, which was the original contention.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The Mash posted:

It's maths, not math.

Steves Asleep
Jun 5, 2005

How much have they paid if he scores an OG? Going by the performances I've seen this season so far I'd say that's far more likely than scoring an actual goal.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

excuse me lady posted:

It's not "nothing" either though, which was the original contention.

At this point Sunderland haven't paid Jozy's transfer for him to score goals (in the league), so "nothing" is correct.

Healbot fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 17, 2013

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

The Mash posted:

Posting about limits is posting without limits, and Jozy tends to be extremely limited. As Jozy approaches goal, he approaches infinite shitness, before becoming indefinable. His ability cannot be rationally expressed. Jozy IS divide by zero. The Jozy Equation: One simple formula, discovered by a forum, that Soccernomicists don't want you to know about!!

is this more to your taste?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Spangly A posted:

Posting about limits is posting without limits, and Jozy tends to be extremely limited. As Jozy approaches goal, he approaches infinite shitness, before becoming indefinable. His ability cannot be rationally expressed. Jozy IS divide by zero. The Jozy Equation: One simple formula, discovered by a forum, that Soccernomicists don't want you to know about!!

is this more to your taste?

I think we're getting there, yeah. Jozy is so bad his shitness is off-the-charts indefinable.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Healbot posted:

At this point Sunderland haven't paid Jozy's transfer for him to score goals (in the league), so "nothing" is correct.

This!

Thanks you

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
loneliness + alienation + fear + Sunderland + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ irrational american fans × guilt × shame × failure × offside n=y where y=Jozy and n=Missing the Goal, love=lies, Jozy=poo poo, Goals=Zero

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

cadfael posted:

Shouldn't US Soccer be doing these type of videos? I don't get why the gently caress the MLS is keeping tabs on "Americans Abroad" or what not. I'd be well embarrassed if the Premier League decided to keep a tabs on "Brits Abroad".

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Shouldn't US Soccer be doing these type of videos? I don't get why the gently caress the MLS is keeping tabs on "Americans Abroad" or what not. I'd be well embarrassed if the Premier League decided to keep a tabs on "Brits Abroad".

They did follow Gazza a bit when he was playing for Lazio, but that was because he was a) interesting and b) good at football.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Von Linus posted:

They did follow Gazza a bit when he was playing for Lazio, but that was because he was a) interesting and b) good at football.

Lol I think I was too busy being weird at primary school to have watched that.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Von Linus posted:

that wasn't The Premier League itself though was it, it was C4 buying the rights to show and package Serie A football. I'd imagine the last thing the The Prestigious English Barclay's would ever do is big up La Liga, the Bundesliga etc because there happened to be an Englishman playing in it.

what MLS are doing doesn't even work as a 'look at how well the talent our less famous league helped produce' thing because, well, it's Jozy loving Altidore. The more they hype him when there are actual talented american players around the more damage they do their own league's 'brand' (ugh) because someone whose job is to develop the brand of sports shoe manufacturers decided he was marketable when he was 17 or w/ever

Imagine if the FA or Prem/Football League just kept hyping Cherno Samba for a decade after he was a credible prospect, and loads of English fans trawled the internet telling the actual regulars at the pub he plays for that actually he's brilliant, actually, and it's his teammates fault and he scores loads of goals in his back garden (It Is A CONCACAF Analogy) and then shoehorning in bizarre pleas for all the pub leagues to be moved to American Football stadiums because reasons.

That's MLS. That's MLS fans. Let Jozy Fail ffs, it's just cruel at this point

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is jozy too big to fail?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Is jozy too big to fail?

He's simply big AND fail.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Babby Thatcher posted:

that wasn't The Premier League itself though was it, it was C4 buying the rights to show and package Serie A football. I'd imagine the last thing the The Prestigious English Barclay's would ever do is big up La Liga, the Bundesliga etc because there happened to be an Englishman playing in it.

what MLS are doing doesn't even work as a 'look at how well the talent our less famous league helped produce' thing because, well, it's Jozy loving Altidore. The more they hype him when there are actual talented american players around the more damage they do their own league's 'brand' (ugh) because someone whose job is to develop the brand of sports shoe manufacturers decided he was marketable when he was 17 or w/ever

Imagine if the FA or Prem/Football League just kept hyping Cherno Samba for a decade after he was a credible prospect, and loads of English fans trawled the internet telling the actual regulars at the pub he plays for that actually he's brilliant, actually, and it's his teammates fault and he scores loads of goals in his back garden (It Is A CONCACAF Analogy) and then shoehorning in bizarre pleas for all the pub leagues to be moved to American Football stadiums because reasons.

That's MLS. That's MLS fans. Let Jozy Fail ffs, it's just cruel at this point

which "actual talented american players" are you referring to

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Your Weird Uncle posted:

which "actual talented american players" are you referring to

Bradley's pretty good and wasn't Geoff Cameron pretty good last year?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Bradley's pretty good and wasn't Geoff Cameron pretty good last year?

Don't forget that Juan Agudelo joins Stoke in January too!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

What ever happened to Dane Brekken "Brek Shea" Shea?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

There's plenty of good american players around europe but I guess they want one who scores goals and grabs headlines and isnt a bald defender or goalkeeper.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

But Jozy doesn't score goals?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

NinjaSteve posted:

But Jozy doesn't score goals?

I know, they just really really really want him to

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Maybe they should pin their hopes on a striker that isn't absolute gash then. Like Freddy Adu.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

euroboy posted:

There's plenty of good american players around europe but I guess they want one who scores goals and grabs headlines and isnt a bald defender or goalkeeper.

Having good players in midfield, defence and goalkeeping is good and all but every country prays that they produce a world class striker, look at Japan. They have a world-class midfield, a decent to above average defence and a decent goalkeeper but they can't score goals consistently enough to ever really go far in a tournament but if you put an actual world-class striker on that team they'd look loads better, hell they probably could end up getting seeded.

I forget where I saw it but someone literally spent 30 minutes arguing on a podcast that if Japan had an actual world-class striker they'd be a top 8 team consistently, and I tend to agree with them, having Kagawa, Honda and Kiyotake behind you would certainly be an attacking midfield which would give tons of teams fits it's just that there is no one there to put the drat ball in the net so usually Japan has to rely on its midfielders to produce goals like all of their strikers are like 5'7 winger/forward types with the lone exception of like Mike Havenaar who is loving giant but plays in the Eredivise so I really doubt he is up to international standard just yet.

So yeah, it'd probably really loving help if the US developed a world-class striker but I think the only actual good players they have are Bradley, Donovan, Dempsey and a tonne of goalkeepers it'll probably be another decade before the US can probably produce it's first truly world class player and then probably another few years after that before they produce that elusive world-class striker.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
oh god I just wrote a tonne of words

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Japan's goalkeeper is shite though.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
I'm still angry that Stuart Holden is made of glass he would've been the best US player ever (high bar)

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

The US haven't even developed a forward as good as Harry Kewell, and Australia are poo poo as can be. There's no hope for them.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
Too much money in baseball basketball and american football meanwhile MLS players are making like 40 grand

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

NinjaSteve posted:

Japan's goalkeeper is shite though.

Kawashima is actually decent to above average and finally moved to Europe a few years ago and is starting to enter his prime which I think he will do just fine hopefully he doesn't end up staying in Belgium and ends up going to the Bundesliga or something. He's no Schwarzer but I think he's adequate enough you don't need a world class goalkeeper to win games you just need one who is consistent enough that he gives you a chance to win. Basically you could do just fine with someone like Sergio Romero if you have people like Messi, Di Maria etc up front but we all know since it's Argentina they end up loving it all up anyway.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

He's no Schwarzer but I think he's adequate enough you don't need a world class goalkeeper to win games you just need one who is consistent enough that he gives you a chance to win.

You don't need trophies to be a winner but he is a winner.

Also he's been terrible and full of mistakes every time I've seen him, but I'll happily defer to someone who actually watches him aside from Asian Cup games.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

NinjaSteve posted:

The US haven't even developed a forward as good as Harry Kewell, and Australia are poo poo as can be. There's no hope for them.

Harry Kewell is poo poo and outside of that leeds spell was constantly laid up with injury.

80085 posted:

Too much money in baseball basketball and american football meanwhile MLS players are making like 40 grand

Best case scenario for the MLS is that you eventually become like a better-run, more competent version of Liga MX which I doubt will happen anyway given how stupid the league commissioner is, like the United States hopefully will get the Mexico treatment by CONMEBOL and we'll see MLS teams in the Libertadores where we get to see how MLS fans can handle an actual football atmosphere not the sanitised poo poo that currently is MLS.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Harry Kewell is poo poo and outside of that leeds spell was constantly laid up with injury.

Yes, and yes. And I still think he's better than Landy D or whoever the competition is.

Best case scenario for the MLS is that you eventually become like a better-run, more competent version of Liga MX which I doubt will happen anyway given how stupid the league commissioner is, like the United States hopefully will get the Mexico treatment by CONMEBOL and we'll see MLS teams in the Libertadores where we get to see how MLS fans can handle an actual football atmosphere not the sanitised poo poo that currently is MLS.

Timbers fans going to any stadium with actual fans and shouting and swearing and not just video game posters would be such an amazing culture shock.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Football being a nerd thing in the US is so fascinating since its the total opposite in europe.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

NinjaSteve posted:

You don't need trophies to be a winner but he is a winner.

Also he's been terrible and full of mistakes every time I've seen him, but I'll happily defer to someone who actually watches him aside from Asian Cup games.

You know full well what I mean you bogan. You don't have to be absolutely spectacular to win you just have to manage the ruddy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

euroboy posted:

Football being a nerd thing in the US is so fascinating since its the total opposite in europe.

Ironically I was made fun of for liking American football in school in Europe.

• Locked thread