Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Terri Brosius, voice of SHODAN in System Shock 2 and write for Thief 3 also wrote Dishonored. Harvey Smith, designer on Deus Ex and Thief 2, was the creative director for Dishonored. Ya drat right there was some Thief references! All it needed was a magical ability to open locks or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think I prefer shadow-based stealth to cover-based stealth, though...although I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe shadows give you an obvious visual cue of where you can and can't hide.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\ I really dislike cover based stealth, I think in large part because it makes it hard to see through the cover and thus gain environmental awareness, which is needed for sneaking.

Maybe Dishonored II will add shadow based stealth, and you'll play a thief instead of an assassin, and... and... and... :allears:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think I prefer shadow-based stealth to cover-based stealth, though...although I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe shadows give you an obvious visual cue of where you can and can't hide.

I've heard people say the stealth system in Dishonored is broken in comparison to say Splinter Cell or Thief where it's much clearer when you are hidden.

That argument is shot down pretty quickly when its pointed out you can loving teleport.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I believe one of the guard dialogues from Thief is in there verbatim somewhere.

It is, but hell if I remember where.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Shadow-based also gives you more options. If you're hidden behind something, you're still hidden, even in a shadow-based system, and you're not left wondering whether the object you're hiding behind is big enough or not. Plus its a little more tense when someone is walking towards you and you're hiding in the shadows really hoping they don't get close enough to see you while you freeze solid.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Orv posted:

It is, but hell if I remember where.

It's the bit in the Daud mission where one whaler is training another in stealth afaik.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Shadow-based also gives you more options. If you're hidden behind something, you're still hidden, even in a shadow-based system, and you're not left wondering whether the object you're hiding behind is big enough or not. Plus its a little more tense when someone is walking towards you and you're hiding in the shadows really hoping they don't get close enough to see you while you freeze solid.

True...although maybe some people find it a little too easy. In shadow-based stealth, you can hang around in a dark patch for as long as you like without being noticed. Then again, I can only think of a few games that use this approach: the Thief games, the Splinter Cell games, No One Lives Forever 2, and the original Deus Ex (although the original Deus Ex was weird because it didn't give you a light meter or any way of knowing just how hidden you were). I must be missing a few, I'm sure.

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

It's the bit in the Daud mission where one whaler is training another in stealth afaik.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQIFoJfgHo

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm not sure why some games just didn't do the best of both worlds? Cover based stealth would be handy if there is a lot of light sources you can't remove, while shadow based stealth would be great for areas where there is no cover. It'd also make the level design feel more natural too if a game combined both I think.

There could even be guards with torches that explore the shadowy areas when suspicious, forcing you to swiftly but silently move out of their patrol.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

No, that's not what I meant (although that is also a Thief reference). I mean there's literally a voice clip from Thief in Dishonored of two guards talking to one another. I'm pretty sure I'm not making that up?

Edit: Upon googling, I must be, because I can't find any evidence of it.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 17, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It'd also make the level design feel more natural too if a game combined both I think.

I think that's the other reason I dislike cover based stealth. It tends to make level design look goofy. Good thing there are all these big crates scattered everywhere!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Tried this dark mod thing out, and the training mission is nice, but what the gently caress those arrow physics are all wrong.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

Tried this dark mod thing out, and the training mission is nice, but what the gently caress those arrow physics are all wrong.
? The bow is super weak, if that's what you mean, but otherwise I didn't have a problem with it.

edit: vvvvv Oh. Then yeah. I just figured it was because Garrett had some tiny-rear end 10 lb drawweight bow because the City never came up with compound or recurve technology and so the only thing they could do was bigger=stronger. Since a bigass bow sucks for a thief, well, Garrett is left with basically a tiny toy bow. :v:

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 17, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ravenfood posted:

? The bow is super weak, if that's what you mean, but otherwise I didn't have a problem with it.

The arrow dropoff is insane. They drop like a rock.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm noticing the physics in the DarkMod is very "heavy", everything tends to act like it is made of tungsten. This can be disconcerting for people used to Thiefs "floaty" physics where things were light.

Also the AI is hilariously bad still, hopefully that's what they work on now that the standalone is finished.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

The bow in TDM really needs some kind of sight. I tried Glenham tower and I wasted a couple arrows because I couldn't tell where the arrow was going to land.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PiCroft posted:

The bow in TDM really needs some kind of sight. I tried Glenham tower and I wasted a couple arrows because I couldn't tell where the arrow was going to land.
You can turn one on in the game options, but you'll still have to figure out the drop yourself. The training map actually has a pretty nice archery range just for that.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I find the water arrows especially temperamental in whether or not a direct hit on a torch puts out a light.

My rule of thumb at the moment with aim is to line the crystal up with the target. I think there is a bow sight attachment in the Dark Mod game files but it's up to each mission designer to enable it in the players inventory or make in available in the equipment shop.

Melan
Jun 25, 2005
Against the Frogs

Hank Morgan posted:

I find the water arrows especially temperamental in whether or not a direct hit on a torch puts out a light.
It is usually much easier to hit the ceiling above the torch, and let the falling water douse the flames. Water arrows were a pain until I figured that out.

Mines still bother me, though. Satisfying boom, but no range whatsoever.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I'm sure all of the grunts on the Thief 4 team are just waiting for this disaster to be over with so they can move on. Someone said earlier that they were all idiots and that is being really unfair to them. Thief 4 stinks of managerial incompetence and there's very little that the people doing the nuts and bolts of the game can do about that.

I'm pretty sure we were all addressing our accusations of incompetence at the folks managing the project. I doubt anyone here thinks the coders and artists and so on are the ones who hosed up.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
People were asking for recommendations for TDM mods. Watch out for Thief's Den. There's an insanely annoying crash bug in the chapel room. If you want to play that one, save lots and in that room, quicksave every few steps. Or better yet, never go in, because I think there's only one thing in there, and you can get enough loot that you never have to enter.

I also had to abandon the mission because a patrolling guard got stuck on a door, making it impossible to sneak back out.
EDIT: That probably wasn't Thieves' Den.

One more tip: Downloading missions from the website isn't enough, you also need to manually make directories to put them in, otherwise The Dark Mod can't see them. The other way to do it is in-game, which is less work for you.

EDIT 2: Wow, this is definitely nowhere near being ready for Steam Greenlight. Apparently you need to completely uninstall all the other mods you have before loading any other ones.

I tried to load up and play "A Night to Remember", which was described as stealing some airship plans, then the map's cinematic came up, which was apparently for William Steele's "In the North", and then the actual objectives and the map came up, which was for "Thieves' Den"... well, it was for something that I thought was Thieves Den, but now that I think about it, that was a different thing as well.

Never download PK4 files into the Darkmod directory, I think it screws things up royally.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 18, 2013

Melan
Jun 25, 2005
Against the Frogs

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Never download PK4 files into the Darkmod directory, I think it screws things up royally.
Did you read the instructions? You ought to read the instructions.

(If things still don't work, someone can probably help you on the forums.)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dishonored isn't Thief 4 if only because Corvus thinks choking people out is better than carrying around a sap, plus he needs more long-ranged non-lethal methods. put in gas mines, twice as many tranq darts, and place the one fetish that lets you choke guards in a second earlier in the game, and I'll consider Dishonored a more direct sequel. I know you can always just avoid the guards, but I've always been a part of the school that considers a ghost run incomplete until I'm the last person awake at the end, and I appreciated how the Thief series gave me tools to make that sort of run possible.

Speaking of which, I got The Dark Mod downloaded and I've played through St. Lucia and the first level of No Honor among Thieves. So far I've noticed that the sap can be kind of inconsistent when it comes to knocking guards out; sometimes it works when I'm crouched, oftentimes it doesn't, sometimes it'll knock out a guy who's suspicious, sometimes it doesn't. Does anyone know the exact conditions needed for a knockout blow?

Seventh Arrow posted:

(although the original Deus Ex was weird because it didn't give you a light meter or any way of knowing just how hidden you were).

That's not entirely true. You can see how deep you are in shadows by pulling out a weapon and checking how well lit it is.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Does anyone know the exact conditions needed for a knockout blow?
The tutorial video I watched explained that for the blackjack to work you need to hit the target straight on the head with it, so it was recommended to always stand up before delivering the blow and to be careful of any obstacles that might block it during the swing (including a very low ceiling).
As for the other conditions, if the enemy is unaware and is not wearing a metal helmet, he can be knocked-out with a blow to the head from any facing; if he's aware and/or wearing a metal helmet only blows from the back will work; enemies with a metal helmet that includes a protective face grill cannot be blackjacked.
Once I get back home I'll include a link to the video.

Edit:
here's the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V31S7w4qBcE

radintorov fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 20, 2013

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

Seventh Arrow posted:

True...although maybe some people find it a little too easy. In shadow-based stealth, you can hang around in a dark patch for as long as you like without being noticed. Then again, I can only think of a few games that use this approach: the Thief games, the Splinter Cell games, No One Lives Forever 2, and the original Deus Ex (although the original Deus Ex was weird because it didn't give you a light meter or any way of knowing just how hidden you were). I must be missing a few, I'm sure.

Wait, did Deus Ex have shadow-based stealth? I always thought it was just proximity/line of sight based. I know System Shock 2 used the same mechanics as Thief (being a dark engine game), only you didn't have a light-gem to help you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Triggsz posted:

Wait, did Deus Ex have shadow-based stealth? I always thought it was just proximity/line of sight based. I know System Shock 2 used the same mechanics as Thief (being a dark engine game), only you didn't have a light-gem to help you.

Darkness mattered in Deus Ex, but not overly much.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

And in System Shock 2 also.^^^^

I know you can always just avoid the guards, but I've always been a part of the school that considers a ghost run incomplete until I'm the last person awake at the end

Ghosting means that no one is alerted to you, or bopped by you, or ever knows you are there, until the hypothetical next morning when they realise all their poo poo is missing. Knocking out every guard in the level is just how regular schlubs play, and is not a real challenge. :colbert: (Your LPs still owned though, and are just about the only VLPs I can stand to watch.)

I tried ghosting a few times, but never had the patience to keep sneaking back and forward past the same guards over and over. I still like having the option though.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Corridor posted:

And in System Shock 2 also.^^^^

Ghosting means that no one is alerted to you, or bopped by you, or ever knows you are there, until the hypothetical next morning when they realise all their poo poo is missing. Knocking out every guard in the level is just how regular schlubs play, and is not a real challenge. :colbert: (Your LPs still owned though, and are just about the only VLPs I can stand to watch.)

I tried ghosting a few times, but never had the patience to keep sneaking back and forward past the same guards over and over. I still like having the option though.

My usual method for a first playthrough is "gotta catch 'em all" because then you can have a proper nose around and scope out all the valuables, also trying to stack guards in weird places is funny.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I also always knock out all the guards because I like to imagine them waking up in the chimney or toilet the next morning, all stacked on top of one another like a big gay orgy. And it just feels so nice to drop them with the blackjack.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Corridor posted:

Ghosting? Like, walking through walls?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dishonored isn't Thief 4 if only because Corvus thinks choking people out is better than carrying around a sap, plus he needs more long-ranged non-lethal methods. put in gas mines, twice as many tranq darts, and place the one fetish that lets you choke guards in a second earlier in the game, and I'll consider Dishonored a more direct sequel. I know you can always just avoid the guards, but I've always been a part of the school that considers a ghost run incomplete until I'm the last person awake at the end, and I appreciated how the Thief series gave me tools to make that sort of run possible.

Most of the things you want are already available in the two story DLCs for Dishonored. You can carry more tranq darts, there are electrical stun mines that knock people out, chokedust grenades that stun people temporarily and can be upgraded to also cause amnesia, and a telekinetic power that lets you pilfer loot from range as well as grab people to kill or choke out if you upgrade it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I played Dishonored pretty much exactly the way I play Thief. The only major difference being Corvo has more mobility options instead of Garrett's gadgets, and so you go above enemies instead of hiding in the shadows. Though to be honest I never used mines in Thief either.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Corridor posted:

Ghosting means that no one is alerted to you, or bopped by you, or ever knows you are there, until the hypothetical next morning when they realise all their poo poo is missing.

I think the only level I bother to ghosted (do spiders count?) was the one where Garrett had to break in the police station since it was already kinda of an objective.

My favourite level for stacking bodies will always be Life of the Party. So, so many people tossed down the elevator shaft.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Thief is like my all-time favourite game, but I've never once ghosted a level. gently caress that poo poo. Stacking unconscious dudes in corners all day erryday.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

It was a joke, one of the developers said the same thing when asked about ghosting at gamescon.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Thief is like my all-time favourite game, but I've never once ghosted a level. gently caress that poo poo. Stacking unconscious dudes in corners all day erryday.

That was one of the only downsides of Dishonored: you could only have a certain number of unconscious/dead bodies at once due to console optimisation or something.

Nothing like bringing another guard back to your pile only to discover they've all vanished in the meantime. :(

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Well you could if you edited some Ini's

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Darkrenown posted:

The Thief Who Walks Through Walls

Hannibal Rex posted:

chokedust grenades that stun people temporarily and can be upgraded to also cause amnesia, and a telekinetic power that lets you pilfer loot from range as well as grab people to kill or choke out if you upgrade it.

As nice as amnesia and teleporting other stuff (instead of yourself) is for those enraging moments when you make a dumb mistake... does it break the game at all?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Hakkesshu posted:

One of my favorite ones was Ironman Ghosting the bank in Thief 2. I would absolutely recommend it, but make sure you have your route planned out. Knocking guards out gives you more freedom to move back and forth between areas, but part of the point of ghosting is the efficiency of getting in, getting what you need, and getting out all in one go.

Dishonored isn't Thief 4 if only because Corvus thinks choking people out is better than carrying around a sap, plus he needs more long-ranged non-lethal methods... I've always been a part of the school that considers a ghost run incomplete until I'm the last person awake at the end, and I appreciated how the Thief series gave me tools to make that sort of run possible.

I've always treated ghosting as is only complete when nobody knows you were there, period. No knock outs, never being spotted, etc... I wouldn't go as far as the Lydia(?) style which is closing doors behind you and leaving no trace at all, but ghosting is definitely 'no knockouts' in my mind.

The reason I consider Dishonored Thief 4 is because you can ghost it under my definition. Just like Thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

User0015 posted:

I've always treated ghosting as is only complete when nobody knows you were there, period. No knock outs, never being spotted, etc... I wouldn't go as far as the Lydia(?) style which is closing doors behind you and leaving no trace at all, but ghosting is definitely 'no knockouts' in my mind.

Lytha style?

The best mission to ghost is Assassins. Ramirez thinks his thugs have killed you but in a few hours he's going to notice his purse is missing, his home stripped of valuables and his Burricks are dead (if you are that way inclined). Delicious. That whole mission is Garrett in a nutshell. Not this moody "steal to survive, now I survive to steal" nonsense from the new game.

• Locked thread