Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

Its like saying "that camera is so kawaii" or something, and this sure doesn't look like the Pentax thread.

Next time l will call Katana "Japanese long sword" for you. I am sorry A7's superior image quality has gotten to your temper. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whatever7 posted:

Next time l will call Katana "Japanese long sword" for you. I am sorry A7's superior image quality has gotten to your temper. ;)

Good :911:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Dear god this loving thread.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just placed my preorder this morning, first in line for the A7. Everybody seems to be ordering the A7R. They already had 12 preorders for it thirty minutes after the store opened up. There will definitely be shortages for this camera over the holidays I think.

edit: I am sooo loving excited :unsmith:

keyframe fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 17, 2013

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

keyframe posted:

Just placed my preorder this morning, first in line for the A7. Everybody seems to be ordering the A7R.

I'd definitely rather have the A7. PDAF and larger pixels? Count me in. I can't see a reason to own the A7R except as a studio photographer.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Costello Jello posted:

I'd definitely rather have the A7. PDAF and larger pixels? Count me in. I can't see a reason to own the A7R except as a studio photographer.

Those A7R preorders are probably all Leica shooters.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Those A7R preorders are probably all Leica shooters.

Yeah, it's also got the gapless microlenses (A7 has microlenses but they're not gapless), which people are thinking will help with wide angle performance.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Costello Jello posted:

Yup same here. I much prefer the A7. Also the AF is faster on it and continuous shooting speed is faster as well compared to A7R.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is their anything exciting coming down the pipeline for the X series? I've been out of the loop for awhile.

Right now I have the X-E1, the 35mm, and the 18mm.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Elderbean posted:

Is their anything exciting coming down the pipeline for the X series? I've been out of the loop for awhile.

Right now I have the X-E1, the 35mm, and the 18mm.

You will find out tomorrow at the Fuji announcement.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Are we still allowed to talk about Micro 4/3 in here? The new "Leica" 15mm from Panasonic could be something cool. It has a manual aperture ring, which I don't think I've seen on any m43 native lens so far.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/17/panasonic-adds-leica-15mm-f1-7-lens-to-micro-four-thirds-stable

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RustedChrome posted:

Are we still allowed to talk about Micro 4/3 in here? The new "Leica" 15mm from Panasonic could be something cool. It has a manual aperture ring, which I don't think I've seen on any m43 native lens so far.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/17/panasonic-adds-leica-15mm-f1-7-lens-to-micro-four-thirds-stable

I just posted that on the previous page but yeah, looks like Panasonic's answer to the Oly 17/1.8 though this is much closer to their own 14/2.5 lens. Their upcoming 'Nocticron' lens will also feature a manual aperture ring.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

RustedChrome posted:

Are we still allowed to talk about Micro 4/3 in here?

No. Full frame or :frogout:

:smugdog:

Joke aside we need a new OP/thread already because the OP is pretty outdated don't you guys think?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

keyframe posted:

No. Full frame or :frogout:

:smugdog:

Joke aside we need a new OP/thread already because the OP is pretty outdated don't you guys think?

Sounds like someone just volunteered.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
He who smelt it dealt it.

Also, my Ricoh GR will be offended if you fail to mention it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
No problem I will put a new one together this weekend after tomorrows Fuji announcement.

edit: Apparently the Fuji event is in two hours.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 18, 2013

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
X100 peeps, the new firmware is LIVE - Fuji loves you and gives you even faster AF and focus peaking, among other perks and improvements, you lucky bitches.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/index.html

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I am intrigued by the Panasonic GM-1. The idea of a camera that small with the 20mm f/1.7 intrigues me. It would be the 21st century equivalent of the Olympus 35RC. The price is crazy though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Here are a couple of hi res sample pictures from the A7. the detail :stare:

Lens: Sonnar T* FE 55 mm F1.8 ZA (SEL55F18Z)
Mode: M mode
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec.
Aperture: F2.2
ISO: 400

Lens: Sonnar T* FE 35 mm F2.8 ZA (SEL35F28Z)
Mode: P mode
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec.
Aperture: F5
EV Comp.: +0.7 EV

Lens: FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS (SEL2870)
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec.
Aperture: F5.6
ISO: 100

More at the link here:

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/uxc2/index.html#samplephotos

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

My wallet is crying. Although in all seriousness I'll probably stick to my fuji.

With the way mirroless is going, I don't see myself needing an SLR anymore.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
I broke down and bought the A7r and the 55mm. At this rate I probably won't see either until February.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

krackmonkey posted:

X100 peeps, the new firmware is LIVE - Fuji loves you and gives you even faster AF and focus peaking, among other perks and improvements, you lucky bitches.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/index.html

gently caress yeeeesssss - I know what I'm doing this morning! After the false starts and leaked info I was starting to think it wouldn't happen.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Fujifilm XE-2 official page! http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_e2/

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
X100 is 2.5 years old? It's a good send off.

Now Fuji do the right thing and add slowest shutter speed to the next XE1 firmware update.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

keyframe posted:

Here are a couple of hi res sample pictures from the A7. the detail :stare:

Shutter speed: 1/250 sec.
Aperture: F2.2

Lens: Sonnar T* FE 35 mm F2.8 ZA (SEL35F28Z)
Mode: P mode
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec.
Aperture: F5
EV Comp.: +0.7 EV

Lens: FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS (SEL2870)

More at the link here:

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/uxc2/index.html#samplephotos

Still dont see the fuss, its the same IQ as a D600. Yall sucking this sony dick a bit too soon?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
That's a bit harsh. It is pretty great quality from a fairly small-bodied camera.

However, that $1000 nifty fifty they used for the first image is pretty laughable, even if it is made by Zeiss.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 18, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think you'll find anyone to poop on the A7 as a camera. Right now it's just a poo poo system to get into, and Sony has a less than stellar track record.

If/when Sigma pulls their usual move of putting out the lenses that first-parties are always too obtuse to offer, it'll be great.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

bobfather posted:

That's a bit harsh. It is pretty great quality from a fairly small-bodied camera.

However, that $1000 nifty fifty they used for the first image is pretty laughable, even if it is made by Zeiss.

Yeah, I don't think that anyone was expecting a full-frame mirrorless to OUTPERFORM a D600 or D800 -- to be on par is enough.

And it's unfortunate that Sony's primes are so pricey, but they aren't the only ones releasing expensive primes these days.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

thetzar posted:

And it's unfortunate that Sony's primes are so pricey, but they aren't the only ones releasing expensive primes these days.
It's the fact that the first one out the gate is 1k (and not 50. And 1.8) that's grating.

Noctons have always been specialized, superspendy tools. There's a reason the vintage models go for ridiculous amounts, but there are alternatives.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

thetzar posted:

Zeiss themselves literally just put out a 55/1.4 that costs $4,000.

Frankly the lack of good fast 50mms on the modern market always puzzled me. Yeah there are f/1.4 lenses, f/1.2 lenses, even f/1.1 but it's all pretty much trash wide open, which is exactly why you would want to own a fast lens. The only alternative that comes to mind is Leica, which is loving expensive. I mean we have these super complex 35mm f/1.4 lenses that have good corner sharpness even wide open, but in the 50mm category everyone is using a simple Planar design. The Planar is over 100 years old and hasn't been changed for a solid 50 years. Wide open it's loaded with coma and spherical abberation and they don't even try to fix it. Sigma put some aspherical elements in the 30/1.4 crop-body Planar and that's the only evolution that comes to mind.

I'd really love to see an honest fast 50 that delivers 35/1.4 level resolution at a similar price. $900 buys you a complex superfast wide angle lens, you should be able to get a decent 50mm for that money too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 18, 2013

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Frankly the lack of good fast 50mms on the modern market always puzzled me. Yeah there are f/1.4 lenses, f/1.2 lenses, even f/1.1 but it's all pretty much trash wide open, which is exactly why you would want to own a fast lens. The only alternative that comes to mind is Leica, which is loving expensive. I mean we have these super complex 35mm f/1.4 lenses that have good corner sharpness even wide open, but in the 50mm category everyone is using a simple Planar design. The Planar is over 100 years old and hasn't been changed for a solid 50 years. Wide open it's loaded with coma and spherical abberation and they don't even try to fix it. Sigma put some aspherical elements in the 30/1.4 crop-body Planar and that's the only evolution that comes to mind.

I'd really love to see an honest fast 50 that delivers 35/1.4 level resolution at a similar price. $900 buys you a complex superfast wide angle lens, you should be able to get a decent 50mm for that money too.

If you want a fast 50 and don't mind going manual, then there are always the Leica R lenses. R is one dead-rear end system, so the lenses tend to be cheaper on used markets.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Beginner question, but I thought the point of having a 1.4 over a 1.8 was the 1.4 would be faster at 4 (or whatever) than the 1.8 at 4. Is that not actually true?

Assuming both are rough looking wide open.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

krooj posted:

If you want a fast 50 and don't mind going manual, then there are always the Leica R lenses. R is one dead-rear end system, so the lenses tend to be cheaper on used markets.

I was specifically thinking of autofocus. There are a few manual focus options, like Noct-Nikkor or Leica. On the other hand paying a minimum of a couple hundred and possibly many thousands of dollars for an old manual focus lens doesn't really compare to the convenience of logging on to Adorama and putting a Sigma 35/1.4 ART in my shopping cart.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Huxley posted:

Beginner question, but I thought the point of having a 1.4 over a 1.8 was the 1.4 would be faster at 4 (or whatever) than the 1.8 at 4. Is that not actually true?

Assuming both are rough looking wide open.

No. Apertures are equivalent across lenses. F/8 is f/8 on an f/1.4 lens, a f/2 lens, a short lens, a long lens. That's the whole point of f-stop numbering, to come up with some kind of metric that can be used to measure light output regardless of what the lens is.

What f/1.4 buys you is a half stop more maximum aperture. You can potentially shoot that extra half stop, but the corners are soft on superfast 50mm lenses (simple Planars, at least). Also it tends to have coma, points of light turn into squishy blobs and there can be spherical abberation, which is a "glow" (the famous Leica glow in fact). I find f/1.4 lenses wide open tend to be mushy and avoid it except for snapshots and maybe portraits.

So what it buys you is a little more focus accuracy (there's more phase shift for the PDAF or shallower DoF for CDAF) and a brighter viewfinder (which cannot actually be seen in reality since modern DSLR viewfinder screens sacrifice high-aperture brightness for compatibility with the slow zooms everyone uses).

f/1.8 lenses are actually usually pretty decent wide open. Not perfect, but better than f/1.4s.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 18, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

krooj posted:

You can use R lens on Canon Nikon bodies anyway. IMO the 6D (or used 5D2) is still the best option for first time FF buyers.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Nah, the best FF camera for beginners is a Pentax ME Super.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Musket posted:

Still dont see the fuss, its the same IQ as a D600. Yall sucking this sony dick a bit too soon?

So it has the same IQ as a d600 while being $300 cheaper, smaller and way easier to carry. I guess you are right, it's no big deal.

--

In other news here are the A7R sample pics

Lens: Distagon T* 24 mm F2 ZA SSM (SAL24F20Z)
Mount Adaptor: LA-EA4
Mode: A mode
Shutter speed: 0.8 sec.
Aperture: F11
EV Comp.: -1.0 EV

Lens: Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 mm F4 ZA OSS (SEL2470Z)

Shutter speed: 1/500 sec.
Aperture: F2

keyframe fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 18, 2013

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

keyframe posted:

So it has the same IQ as a d600 while being $300 cheaper, smaller and way easier to carry. I guess you are right, it's no big deal.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the dork room!

In other news, the X-E2 actually also looks quite interesting, though a tilt screen (or even a tilt-EVF) would have been nice.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

whatever7 posted:

You can use R lens on Canon Nikon bodies anyway. IMO the 6D (or used 5D2) is still the best option for first time FF buyers.

Agreed - the 6D is perfect for babby. It has all the right "features" to sell and a well supported mount. Nice mirror/shutter sound, too.

keyframe posted:

All this is proving is how nicely Zeiss glass renders. I am certain that if you put similar glass in front of a comparable sensor from Canon, Kodak, CMOSIS or whoever, you'd see similar results. These also aren't very challenging, lighting-wise.

Mr. Despair posted:

Nah, the best FF camera for beginners is a Pentax ME Super.

AE-1 FF Supremacy. Hail Satan.

krooj fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Samyang announced five lenses for the new a7 :

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC
Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC
Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC
Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC

http://samyang-europe.com/index.php/configuration/press-releases/78-samyang-ready-for-e-mount-full-frame

....so there's that. I've never used a Samyang so I don't know how they would compare to Sony's lenses.