Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Thanks ill go grab the bits and give it a try. Would it be possible to knock up a big batch of this and keep it in the fridge?

I can't tell if it's stable but I doubt it, however I don't see any reason you couldn't freeze that combo of stuff. Do it in an ice cube tray.

I mean you could keep that for a week no problem, but I don't think it'd last long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thanks. I'll freeze some then. I'm literally the stupidest fucker on the earth when it comes to sauces. While I'm here is there any decent and easy sauces to bang in with a batch of rice? I've just been eating chicken on plain rice because I can't think of anything to put with the rice.

E: that sounds retarded, what I mean is, are there any sauces simply for rice? I don't want to do a curry or anything as I buy like 3kg of frozen chicken breasts at a time and cook a couple of them with plain rice. Something BBQ or spicy would be rad but I've never really come across rice sauce that I can think of.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 18, 2013

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Arbitrary Coin posted:

There's a particular leafy green vegetable that my mom used to get from Chinese Marts that I'd like to find the name of. The pinyin is something among the lines of "you chai" aka ______ vegetable. Kinda looks like spinach but leave are kinda wispier.

I really want to find out the English name of this if its ringing any bells because this stuff is absolutely loving heavenly. I cook it by quickly boiling it* in salted water a bask in bliss as I eat the crunchy wonderfullness. It has a taste that's really different from any other leafy green vegetable I've had before; I can only describe it as not having as strong of a chlorophyll-ly after taste.

* Yeah, I know boiling veggies tends to be a horrible idea, but I do it for a really short amount of time so its still crunchy and retains the color, though the water is sometimes a bit green. Am I probably ruining the nutritional value by doing this?

"Rapeseed leaves and stems are also edible, similar to those of the related bok choy or kale. Some varieties of rapeseed (called 油菜, yóu cài, lit. "oil vegetable" in Chinese; yau choy in Cantonese; cải dầu in Vietnamese; phak kat kan khao [ผักกาดก้านขาว] in Thai; and nanohana [菜の花]/nabana [菜花] in Japanese) are sold as greens, primarily in Asian groceries, including those in California, where it is known as yao choy or tender greens. They are eaten as sag (spinach) in Indian and Nepalese cuisine, usually stir-fried with salt, garlic and spices."

From wiki.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Thanks. I'll freeze some then. I'm literally the stupidest fucker on the earth when it comes to sauces. While I'm here is there any decent and easy sauces to bang in with a batch of rice? I've just been eating chicken on plain rice because I can't think of anything to put with the rice.

Yeah, woudn't last too long even in the fridge.

E:

Rice goes well with turmeric and other curry spices. Or lemon, look up dino.'s lemon rice.
Also could do a honey, lemon, garlic and or chilli sauce for your chicken and rice.

You could also cook the chicken in a Chinese style, with oyster, dark soy, rice wine sauce, so you'd have some sauce for the rice.
Indonesian style (sambel olek, kecap manis, dark soy) Sambal olek is a great chilli/garlic sauce you could put into anything, I even had some with tacos yesterday.
Speaking of tacos, you could do Arroz Rojo (Sofrito Rice). Onion, garlic, tomato, green capsicum are fried, then rice added with stock and cooked like a pilaf.

But the easiest way is just to precook the rice and freeze it. then fry it with some sort of curry paste (Indian or Thai).
I made a post about that in AI a couple of weeks ago.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521992&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=301#post420166422

late edit: fixed link.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 18, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Made my pumpkin soup but I think the old lady at the farmers market sold me a small field pumpkin instead of a pie pumpkin because the final result was blandish and stringy. I blame goons though, for arguing fishncheese rather than the merits of different varieties of pumpkins :argh:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

E: that sounds retarded, what I mean is, are there any sauces simply for rice? I don't want to do a curry or anything as I buy like 3kg of frozen chicken breasts at a time and cook a couple of them with plain rice. Something BBQ or spicy would be rad but I've never really come across rice sauce that I can think of.

adobo is quick and easy and goes with rice (and with chicken).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I know you said no, but a basic red lentil curry isn't a huge project and makes a great rice sauce. And nutritionally it'd make rice and chicken a more complete meal. Same with beans, and you can cook up a big batch of red beans like you would for red beans and rice and freeze it, it's just fine thawed. There are also dry things used for flavoring, like furikake or nori/gim. I find even just some shredded nori makes basic rice a lot more interesting. I don't know about Japanese versions, but if you have a Korean market there are a lot of combinations of gim with dried anchovies or other spices for use on rice.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Humphrey Vasel posted:

"Rapeseed leaves and stems are also edible, similar to those of the related bok choy or kale. Some varieties of rapeseed (called 油菜, yóu cài, lit. "oil vegetable" in Chinese; yau choy in Cantonese; cải dầu in Vietnamese; phak kat kan khao [ผักกาดก้านขาว] in Thai; and nanohana [菜の花]/nabana [菜花] in Japanese) are sold as greens, primarily in Asian groceries, including those in California, where it is known as yao choy or tender greens. They are eaten as sag (spinach) in Indian and Nepalese cuisine, usually stir-fried with salt, garlic and spices."

From wiki.

Huh, so that's how they spelled it. Well no wonder it tastes so good then.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I don't know about strictly speaking `sauce for rice', but I mean random stir-fry `what the gently caress do I have lying around' recipes are dead simple and quick and a lot more interesting than plain chicken on plain white rice. Like just mince some garlic and chop and onion and I dunno, some green beans or broccoli or whatever, get some oil going in a wok or pan, fry off your chicken, reserve, some more oil, do the veg, add the meat back to the pan, throw in some sambal or sriracha or something if you want some extra heat (and don't have any fresh peppers), a dash of some soy, fish sauce, whatever, throw it on your rice, call it food. All the prep will take you less time than it'll take your rice to cook, and it's seriously a don't-even-think-about it poo poo, like if you're drinking while you're cooking, as one does, you won't even get a buzz on before it's ready. And it's way the gently caress more flavour than that depression donburi you've been eating.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kecap manis + sambal/cock sauce. Put this on your chicken and rice. Or add minced garlic and ginger and stir fry your chicken using this sauce.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I do that like I mentioned before. Simple cheats nasi goreng just using sambal olek and kecap manis, with maybe a bit of dark soy, extra chili and scallions/spring onions.
e: and garlic of course.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 18, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I don't see why it isn't available in jars really.

It is, you aren't shopping in the right places. And you don't even need to find obscure brands, Kikkoman makes one that I've seen in regular supermarkets:

http://www.kikkomanusa.com/homecooks/products/products_hc_details.php?pf=10517&fam=105

That said, it's a pretty easy thing to make if you have real peanut butter.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Back home it's common to see some type of brown gravy over rice as a side dish with meat and a vegetable. I've used drippings from a pork roast and browned flour in that, added back stock of some kind with salt and pepper etc and just used that.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

So I tried out a meat CSA this week, and I know what to do with most of it (especially the pork belly, aww yeah), but one of the things I got was a goat sirloin roast. I'm kind of stumped, never cooked (or eaten, for that matter) goat before and roasts aren't usually my strong point as it is.

Any tips? I'm currently thinking of a red wine / rosemary marinade, but really I'm pretty clueless.

(I tried searching through this forum for "goat", but it's nearly all goat cheese references!)

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 19, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I had no idea meat csa's even existed :aaaaa:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Any tips? I'm currently thinking of a red wine / rosemary marinade, but really I'm pretty clueless.
Yeah, wine, oil, thyme and/or rosemary, and garlic is a pretty classic Galician approach to roasting goat. You can also approach it as a fairly standard roast, bed of onion, celery, carrot, roast, reserve the meat, drain off and reserve the fat, deglaze the pan with your wine and reduce, add some tomato paste, a couple tbsp of your reserved fat, some stock, make a sauce with that and the veg, that kind of thing.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
I've got a question - I once made chicken in this green tomatillo sauce. It came out amazing. It was just chicken in a crockpot with those cans of tomatillo sauce you get at a grocery store. I want to make it again, but I can't get it to come out the same. I'm going to put the chicken on tortillas or some such with a bunch of side items (tomatoes, onions, etc). The first time it came out almost like shredded chicken, almost strandlike, but very tasty and awesome. I can't get it to do it again. Any suggestions?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ZoneManagement posted:

I've got a question - I once made chicken in this green tomatillo sauce. It came out amazing. It was just chicken in a crockpot with those cans of tomatillo sauce you get at a grocery store. I want to make it again, but I can't get it to come out the same. I'm going to put the chicken on tortillas or some such with a bunch of side items (tomatoes, onions, etc). The first time it came out almost like shredded chicken, almost strandlike, but very tasty and awesome. I can't get it to do it again. Any suggestions?

You're either overcooking it or undercooking it - how is it turning out now?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SubG posted:

Yeah, wine, oil, thyme and/or rosemary, and garlic is a pretty classic Galician approach to roasting goat. You can also approach it as a fairly standard roast, bed of onion, celery, carrot, roast, reserve the meat, drain off and reserve the fat, deglaze the pan with your wine and reduce, add some tomato paste, a couple tbsp of your reserved fat, some stock, make a sauce with that and the veg, that kind of thing.

I make goat all of the time. Just treat it like you do lamb. The roasts are good. Chops and steaks are great rare. It's fantastic barbequed, etc. Very versatile stuff - probably my favourite meat.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You're either overcooking it or undercooking it - how is it turning out now?

Once, it was rather dry. I think I simmered it down too much. But mostly it doesn't just..fall apart, I guess. It's not nice and shredded. It still mostly tastes ok, but not quite perfect.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I make goat all of the time. Just treat it like you do lamb. The roasts are good. Chops and steaks are great rare. It's fantastic barbequed, etc. Very versatile stuff - probably my favourite meat.
Yeah, with most domesticated (land) animal meat the part of the animal it came from is more important than what kind of animal it is, at least in terms of basic approach. You can get all sassy with flavour pairings and that kind of thing, but in terms of overall technique there's more similarities than differences.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

So I had a bunch of raw farm honey laying around in a bottle, and it seems to have fermented. I assume this because there are now little bubbles in it and it smell and taste a little like alcohol.

It tastes fantastic, but are there any things I should be worried about? I'm not worried about botulism because I ate a bunch of it when it was not fermented and its not like botulism just shows up out of nowhere. I am more worried about bacteria. It really tastes very good and the texture is kind of like birds milk.

:stare: how did everyone just skip over this?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

What, you've never sucked off a bird's titties before?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Drink and Fight posted:

Is it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_milk or http://www.squidoo.com/deliciousdessert ?

I think I can guess which one was meant.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'll have to do some googling since I've never actually heard of a lot of the stuff y'all said :)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Why do people self identify as "foodies"? It seems like the word ought to be like "hipster" where no one actually calls themselves that.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Moon Monster posted:

Why do people self identify as "foodies"? It seems like the word ought to be like "hipster" where no one actually calls themselves that.
For the same reason people self-identify as "gamers" and so on.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Does anyone have some good oatmeal recipes?

I basically never ate oatmeal as a kid except for those instant oatmeal sugar packets. I just bought a bunch of whole Quaker oats. I've tried following the instructions on the back but it never seems to come out well. I'm usually a reasonably good cook but I just can't seem to figure out a way to make oatmeal taste good and it's bemusing and infuriating.

I've got a poo poo ton of rolled oats and a bunch of berries and I'm determined to eat some delicious oats and berries for a meal today. How should I make that happen?

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Petey posted:

Does anyone have some good oatmeal recipes?

I basically never ate oatmeal as a kid except for those instant oatmeal sugar packets. I just bought a bunch of whole Quaker oats. I've tried following the instructions on the back but it never seems to come out well. I'm usually a reasonably good cook but I just can't seem to figure out a way to make oatmeal taste good and it's bemusing and infuriating.

I've got a poo poo ton of rolled oats and a bunch of berries and I'm determined to eat some delicious oats and berries for a meal today. How should I make that happen?

I'd cook the berries in some sugar and water and make something like a chunky syrup to top the oats with. Going forward you can dice up some apples and cook them in some butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Prepare the oats and top with the apples and a scoop of peanut butter. The apples will store in the fridge for over a week so you can make a bunch at once.

I'm planning on making a chili recipe tonight that calls for ancho and California chilies. The recipe doesn't specify re-hydrating either one and I think the anchos don't need it but I'm not sure about the Californias (they are dried). Any thoughts?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Proposition Castle posted:

I'd cook the berries in some sugar and water and make something like a chunky syrup to top the oats with. Going forward you can dice up some apples and cook them in some butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Prepare the oats and top with the apples and a scoop of peanut butter. The apples will store in the fridge for over a week so you can make a bunch at once.

I'm planning on making a chili recipe tonight that calls for ancho and California chilies. The recipe doesn't specify re-hydrating either one and I think the anchos don't need it but I'm not sure about the Californias (they are dried). Any thoughts?

I've always re-hydrated mine for chili ahead of time in apple cider vinegar. Drained off the excess vinegar and reserved and run the soft chilis through a food processor. Add vinegar back to the pot to taste later on.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
You can either rehydrate and blend dried peppers, or toast and blend/grind them into a chili powder. Either way works, I usually toast/grind.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Proposition Castle posted:

That sounds delicious, and I will do it, but I'm actually asking something even more basic, which is: how do I prepare the oats? Because even when I follow the directions on the box all I ever get is weird, watery, gross goop.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Petey posted:

That sounds delicious, and I will do it, but I'm actually asking something even more basic, which is: how do I prepare the oats? Because even when I follow the directions on the box all I ever get is weird, watery, gross goop.

Well it depends on the type of oats. What oats are you using? Steel cut oats tend to cook quicker and need less water if I remember correctly, and rolled oats (old fashion) require a lot of cooking. Scottish Oatmeal is said to make a creamier oatmeal, and instant rolled oats is just that - instant. If you want to make rolled oat oatmeal, I suggest using a crockpot and letting it cook over night.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Steel cut oats tend to cook quicker and need less water if I remember correctly, and rolled oats (old fashion) require a lot of cooking.
Other way round.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's the other way around, actually.

Efb

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Semprini posted:

Other way round.

Steve Yun posted:

It's the other way around, actually.

Efb

Right I get it mixed up, but I knew one of them takes a long time to cook; the only reason why I thought steel cut take shorter is because it allows water to penetrate it easier due to being cut.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Whats the upper limit on how long I can leave sliced beef in a Marinade? The main ingredients of the one I'm using are milk, soy sauce and lime juice.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Well it depends on the type of oats. What oats are you using? Steel cut oats tend to cook quicker and need less water if I remember correctly, and rolled oats (old fashion) require a lot of cooking. Scottish Oatmeal is said to make a creamier oatmeal, and instant rolled oats is just that - instant. If you want to make rolled oat oatmeal, I suggest using a crockpot and letting it cook over night.

Old fashioned rolled oats: http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/old-fashioned-oats.aspx

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Moon Monster posted:

Whats the upper limit on how long I can leave sliced beef in a Marinade? The main ingredients of the one I'm using are milk, soy sauce and lime juice.

You mixed milk and lime juice and then added raw meat?

Did it make cheese yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Rolled oats (at least the ones I have down here in Australia) take 2 min in the microwave to cook for the purposes of porridge.

Ideas: Goes well with bananas. Plain oats as in porridge with some sliced bananas on top, served with yogurt.
Non porridge but still completely bananas: smoothies and muffins.

Non banana ideas: homemade granola.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 19, 2013