Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Randler posted:

Alternatively, he just plots down somewhere very far back in a map like Metro and blindly fires a stream of bullet down a very small opening. This might only result in accidental kills but keeps him save from harm while hitting his accuracy and kills per minute pretty hard.

This is the correct answer. I got BF3 with the humble bundle, and support was the first class I maxed out thanks to a No-Explosives Metro server. Just point a belt-fed LMG at a choke point and hold down the trigger while people keep walking into your bullets. If you're a super sperg who wants to max out KDR, there's spots where you can pretty much never die unless the enemy team manages to push past a choke point, in which case...

quote:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/MasterfailRambo/stats/245769669/pc/
Quits: 73%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The people I play Battlefield with care way too much about their KD. I just don't get why it matters to the point where you actively talk about "Okay I got to stay playing like this so I get my KD up" or "We need to find a new server because my KD is starting to go down"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It's the least inflatable primary stat behind Skill, and thus arguably most reflective of ~ELITENESS~. That said, tons of metro-only heroes wouldn't play if they didn't have their revivebots (as zaps actually do save deaths, making KD possible to game somewhat) so it's extremely superficial in those cases. Objectively speaking, dying as little as possible as Assault with defibs is an asset to any team due to the ticket system, even if that's not the primary motivation behind the vast majority of players who care. I got above 3.0 playing all classes but Recon (mostly Assault of course, gotta get them MVP ribbons) by knowing the maps I like playing really, really well. It's about knowing where all the best cover is in relation to you from any angles of attack at any given time. And a LOT of proning!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How can you tell if you are having fun unless the numbers tell you?

--human brain
:routine have_fun 1
:if kdr < 1 set state have_fun 0

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

How can you tell if you are having fun unless the numbers tell you?

--human brain
:routine have_fun 1
:if kdr < 12 set state have_fun 0

Fixed that for you :smug:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Well I don't sperg out over KDR but I also don't see how people are actually having fun going 7-22 every round unless they're really going for an assignment/unlock. Getting killed repeatedly is more frustrating than having your cap blocked or losing an mcom IMO. In fact, if you're playing with a horrid team and bleeding tickets, then KDR may well be the only thing left to play for.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Ularg posted:

It's okay. He goes on about hating air and forgets how much he loved his Liberator in Planetside 2. :allears: Now if there was skylord material, that would be it.

Damnit BF4 come out already. Or release some cool videos or something. Jackfrags is slowly releasing a backlog of recorded footage.

It's almost like you don't have the slightest idea how air is balanced in either game :allears:

One of them has a nice scissors-paper-rock thing going on and the other one is Battlefield 3 where a jet that dies to anything except another jet is being flown by a very, very bad pilot.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Smegmatron posted:

It's almost like you don't have the slightest idea how air is balanced in either game :allears:

One of them has a nice scissors-paper-rock thing going on and the other one is Battlefield 3 where a jet that dies to anything except another jet is being flown by a very, very bad pilot.

I never commented on how air was balanced in planetside 2, but okay. I just didn't like how RPGs didn't have a incoming tone. DICE agreed with me.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Ularg posted:

I never commented on how air was balanced in planetside 2, but okay. I just didn't like how RPGs didn't have a incoming tone. DICE agreed with me.

That was reported multiple times as a bug and not intended

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

That was reported multiple times as a bug and not intended

And hilariously many people were still arguing for it.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Someguy posted:

And hilariously many people were still arguing for it.

None. The only things being posted were "This is how you deal with it".

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Some more information on battlepacks. Not sure if this was mentioned yet or not. Seems to be some battlepacks or items specific to premium members to entice people to get premium as early as possible.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Well, we know that. Besides boosts, battlepacks provide the cosmetic side of things. But said cosmetics include items like different looking red dot sights and so on, so it's possible to get earlier access to certain unlocks, as was the case in the beta where some things could only be found through battlepacks.

Nothing other than boosts in the battlepacks acts as anything more than a cosmetic/early unlock.

Warkak
Dec 21, 2010

Cheesefoot-
Don't kink shame
If you were to have read the BF4 reddit during the beta, since devs liked to respond on there, you would know that this game has turned pay2win cause the Chinese RDS is objectively the best and therefore all non-Chinese weapons are inferior and furthermore :reddit:.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Liberatore posted:

Well, we know that. Besides boosts, battlepacks provide the cosmetic side of things. But said cosmetics include items like different looking red dot sights and so on, so it's possible to get earlier access to certain unlocks, as was the case in the beta where some things could only be found through battlepacks.

Nothing other than boosts in the battlepacks acts as anything more than a cosmetic/early unlock.

Yeah, even something like the muzzle hider wasn't really that significant when I unlocked it on both the AK and LMG. The muzzle flash wasn't big enough to obstruct my view of the target at any range and didn't highlight myself to the enemy. And the muzzle hider didn't help keep me hidden.

Also, who knows the muzzle hider may have been in the battlepacks because they ran out of stuff to throw in there out of the very few things you could unlock in the beta.

I enjoy the hell out of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and I keep playing just because those Arsenal packs just keep making me play for one more.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Warkak posted:

If you were to have read the BF4 reddit during the beta, since devs liked to respond on there, you would know that this game has turned pay2win cause the Chinese RDS is objectively the best and therefore all non-Chinese weapons are inferior and furthermore :reddit:.
The sense of entitlement on Reddit is worse than SA which is saying a lot.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ularg posted:

Yeah, even something like the muzzle hider wasn't really that significant when I unlocked it on both the AK and LMG. The muzzle flash wasn't big enough to obstruct my view of the target at any range and didn't highlight myself to the enemy. And the muzzle hider didn't help keep me hidden.

Also, who knows the muzzle hider may have been in the battlepacks because they ran out of stuff to throw in there out of the very few things you could unlock in the beta.

I enjoy the hell out of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and I keep playing just because those Arsenal packs just keep making me play for one more.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that beta's battlepacks had way different stuffing than they will in release. There was a few unlocks in BPs that didn't have unlockable equivalents, so I'm chalking that up to beta and as you said, running out of crap to put in them.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Naturally Selected posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that beta's battlepacks had way different stuffing than they will in release. There was a few unlocks in BPs that didn't have unlockable equivalents, so I'm chalking that up to beta and as you said, running out of crap to put in them.

Yeah, I think we had a few goons that got 3 +25% exp boosts when they hit level 10 so something was off. Also I am almost certain that the first 10-20 levels will go super fast - as they did in BF3 - so at this point I'm pretty confident in the battlepacks being a non-issue.

At least, if you don't consider "gently caress I'm 10% of a level away from another PB level and I should have gone to sleep an hour ago." a problem.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tagichatn posted:

What's the point of firing into the sky?

To balance out the shots he would hit 100% of the time and make the stats look more "normal".

In tf2 there is a programme that lets you see the key presses when watching a demo. It was initially designed for people to understand the top players movement when doing trick jumps etc. A secondary use though is that it makes it really easy to spot people using aim or trigger bots.

Maybe some one could make some thing for frostbite?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Jippa posted:

To balance out the shots he would hit 100% of the time and make the stats look more "normal".

In tf2 there is a programme that lets you see the key presses when watching a demo. It was initially designed for people to understand the top players movement when doing trick jumps etc. A secondary use though is that it makes it really easy to spot people using aim or trigger bots.

Maybe some one could make some thing for frostbite?

I don't think the frostbite engine even lets you record demos.

And when it comes to Valve games, demos/replays provide the viewer far more information compared to most games out there. If you could record demos with the frostbite engine, I'd be surprised if you could track key presses that are not assigned to any in-game action.

The demos themselves would still prove to be very useful for this purpose, though.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 18, 2013

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Liberatore posted:

I don't think the frostbite engine even lets you record demos.

And when it comes to Valve games, demos/replays provide the viewer far more information compared to most games out there. If you could record demos with the frostbite engine, I'd be surprised if you could track key presses that are not assigned to any in-game action.

The demos themselves would still prove to be very useful for this purpose, though.

I expect with spectator mode it will be easier to catch people using exploits and "hacks" as you can record movement behavior through the "eyes" of the user instead of only bystanders.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Seamonster posted:

Well I don't sperg out over KDR but I also don't see how people are actually having fun going 7-22 every round unless they're really going for an assignment/unlock. Getting killed repeatedly is more frustrating than having your cap blocked or losing an mcom IMO. In fact, if you're playing with a horrid team and bleeding tickets, then KDR may well be the only thing left to play for.

I played a lot of the beta and my K/D might be below 1. There's more to team-based gameplay than kills. For example, I played almost exclusively Domination, and despite my lovely K/D, I think my W/L for that gametype is above 2. Part of that is because I made it my job to capture points whenever and whereever I could, even if that meant going out alone or spending most of the game prone and playing defense. If both teams are contesting the same two points (and in the beta it seemed to be A and C), all it takes to win is to reliably lock down the third point. I spent a lot of games getting sniped from the roof while still keeping B friendly, and my team eventually ended up winning, which I find lots more satisfying than running into the meatgrinder or camping rooftops.

I'm a little the same in CS:S (although I have a much better K/D there). You can become the K/D king by camping T spawn or Long A, but unless you're playing against a team of idiots, they're going to figure you out and move around you, and that leaves your team down one man when it comes to actually planting/diffusing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That's why it's so crucial to find close games with balanced teams.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
If that's the case then mad propellers to the quick/matchmaking algorithm.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I haven't actually tried cs go since they introduced that. It works well then? That sounds awesome. I came to pc gaming relatively late so I was never one of those people that spent ages playing any of the cs games.

I should give it a whirl if they match me against other rookies. My aim is ok but I don't have the in depth map knowledge that seems to be key.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Ularg posted:

Some more information on battlepacks. Not sure if this was mentioned yet or not. Seems to be some battlepacks or items specific to premium members to entice people to get premium as early as possible.

Hmm, not that I'm a fan of what's going on with all this "battlepack" crap, I think the way it's meant to be read is that anything you get from buying premium will be considered an orange item, like the knife skin in BF3. Not that you get more stuff or better stuff from battlepacks.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Jippa posted:

I haven't actually tried cs go since they introduced that. It works well then? That sounds awesome. I came to pc gaming relatively late so I was never one of those people that spent ages playing any of the cs games.

I should give it a whirl if they match me against other rookies. My aim is ok but I don't have the in depth map knowledge that seems to be key.

I was talking about the BF4 matchmaker, but yeah the CS:GO matchmaking is pretty good, too. If you only play the "good" maps (dust, dust2, cbbl, office, fra/itl, etc.) you can learn them pretty quickly.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I was talking about the BF4 matchmaker, but yeah the CS:GO matchmaking is pretty good, too. If you only play the "good" maps (dust, dust2, cbbl, office, fra/itl, etc.) you can learn them pretty quickly.

Oh woops sorry.

e- just shows how little I played of the beta I didn't even realise there was a match maker.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Icept posted:

Hmm, not that I'm a fan of what's going on with all this "battlepack" crap, I think the way it's meant to be read is that anything you get from buying premium will be considered an orange item, like the knife skin in BF3. Not that you get more stuff or better stuff from battlepacks.

The language isn't super clear, but it also looks like there are no weapon attachments that are locked behind premium battlepacks exclusively. I interpret it as saying that, once you've unlocked all the attachments for a weapon normally, you'll start getting the battlepack-only ones for that gun when you service star it or whatever. That's cool

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I was under the impression that battle pack attachments were just cosmetically different versions of stuff you unlocked through normal play anyway, so the only "advantage" is that maybe you'd unlock a green laser before you've unlocked the red one on a gun or whatever.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Is it like ME3 where you have the option to buy them?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Javes posted:

I dunno that they've come out and said this, but yes, almost certainly.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nitevision posted:

The language isn't super clear, but it also looks like there are no weapon attachments that are locked behind premium battlepacks exclusively. I interpret it as saying that, once you've unlocked all the attachments for a weapon normally, you'll start getting the battlepack-only ones for that gun when you service star it or whatever. That's cool

Pretty sure you just start getting battlepacks for service stars or w/e. Not the specific attachments. I'm gonna guess it'll be the same as levels, every two service stars and a gold one every 10?

Pharmaskittle posted:

I dunno that they've come out and said this, but yes, almost certainly.

So far it's promo stuff for Premium, pre-ordering the digital deluxe, and the Slim Jims thing, wherenever that comes out. I'm guessing it'll be more like golden keys in BL2 to get free/extra ones.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Javes posted:

Yes, either directly or by stuffing slim jims down your gullet

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Yes, either directly or by stuffing slim jims down your gullet

I'm sure they'll do event weekends like they did for the packs in ME3, too.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

canyoneer posted:

There's a guy with nearly 6,000 hours logged on BF3 PC. If he started playing on release day, that's an average of 8.2 hours a day over the last 730 days.

What's his number one weapon? The MK3A1 :psyduck:
There's no way that guy isn't playing 24x7 Metro servers with frag rounds or Nosehair DM the entire time.

But fair play, he has all the assignments, ribbons, medals, all vehicle unlocks, dozens of service stars in all classes, and mastery dogtags for nearly all the weapons.

I wonder how he will fare in BF4... (900 rewards in BF4).

I did nearly the same in under a 1000 hours (screw M-COM defense ribbons, Air Superiority, and Tank Superiority).

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Ularg posted:

"..come in 4 different colors to indicate rarity: Standard (grey), Advanced (white), Superior (blue), & Distinguished (orange)"

So now we can get epics in BF! Im going to buy as many as I can for instant wins! :mmmsmug:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Zeike posted:

"..come in 4 different colors to indicate rarity: Standard (grey), Advanced (white), Superior (blue), & Distinguished (orange)"

So now we can get epics in BF! Im going to buy as many as I can for instant wins! :mmmsmug:

I'm sorry no Ret Paladins.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

M-COM defense ribbons

The Tasmanian Tiger of BF3 ribbons. Supposedly they exist, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Ularg posted:

I'm sorry no Ret Paladins.

I think you mean hammerdins.

• Locked thread