Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Naffer posted:

I ordered a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro from Lenovo (i7, 8GB, 256GB, grey) two days ago and my estimated shipping date is the 25th. I can't wait, but I'm pretty worried about complaints about how the monitor reproduces yellow colors: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-2-Pro-13-Yellow-Color-Issues/td-p/1270101/page/1

Balls.

Also, replacing all those panels is gonna be massively expensive for Lenovo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Stew Man Chew posted:

Why the gently caress can't anyone just nail a laptop, it seems like literally all of the Haswell options come with a special unacceptable problem. Here I was all excited to grab a Yoga2 but if I'm gonna be working with lightroom then :suicide:

Apple comes closest, imo. Not that they do everything best but they do most things very well with no glaring issues. Every ultrabook has to prove that either it's worth the premium over an MBA or similar to but cheaper than an MBA. On the super high end its the same except with the retina MBP. Most can't really hack it but they compensate with things Apple just won't do like digitiser, touchscreen, convertible, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AriTheDog posted:

What are the other convertible options with Haswell anyway? It seems like it's the XPS 12 or the Yoga 2 Pro... Right?

Sony Vaio Duo 13.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Magic Underwear posted:

Apple comes closest, imo. Not that they do everything best but they do most things very well with no glaring issues. Every ultrabook has to prove that either it's worth the premium over an MBA or similar to but cheaper than an MBA. On the super high end its the same except with the retina MBP. Most can't really hack it but they compensate with things Apple just won't do like digitiser, touchscreen, convertible, etc.

The only stumbling block for the MBA now is that (relatively) awful TN screen.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Aphrodite posted:

Sony Vaio Duo 13.

Oh, right, thanks. Saw it in a Microsoft Store and was unimpressed. It just feels kind of cheap, altogether.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AriTheDog posted:

Oh, right, thanks. Saw it in a Microsoft Store and was unimpressed. It just feels kind of cheap, altogether.

It is, but for the sake of completeness.

There's nothing wrong with the XPS 12, unless you really hate Dell.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does anyone know what the screen type is on the Thinkpad Yoga? I've looked around but can't find it.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

sincx posted:

I'm really, really want the top of the line version. I hope a Dell Outlet coupon will bring the price of the $2300 model close to $1000 within 6 months.

I want it too but $1000 or even $1300 is not going to happen. Even by the time that Dell releases whatever refresh with the next Intel chips, 3200x1800 screens aren't going to be very prolific. I'd say $1500-1700 is a more reasonable hope. $1500 won't even get you the basest 15 inch MBP, much less Retina...

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Does anyone know what the screen type is on the Thinkpad Yoga? I've looked around but can't find it.

I can't find a source, but I'm fairly certain it's IPS (IIRC).

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
So I bought a T430 back in November based on the recommendations of this thread and I'm finally getting a refund after 11 months of bullshit regarding a malfunctioning wireless card (they replacement device arrived today and within 2 hours, had repeated the same issue I had before 3 times).

That said, what are some recommendations on laptops under $750 or so? It's primarily a work device.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, it looks like the ThinkPad Yoga's been pushed back from October to late November.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Bah, the lovely trackpad on the Yoga Pro 2 (along with YELLOW FUD I guess - saw this after I got rid of it) caused me to return it at Best Buy today.

Exchanged it for a 2013 Haswell 11" MBA w/256gigs ($999, open box, never used). Was nice getting $219 credited back during the exchange, also.

Guess I'm an Apple hardware guy at heart. Really, I just wanted to be able to keep the machine in my bag at security (I fly weekly) since I already take my work X230t out for screening (at non-PreCheck airports). The MBA does all I need it to do and is extremely light.

1366, non IPS, I get it but the Air is perfect as a second travel machine. Dat trackpad too.

Just finished putting Windows 8.1 on it via Bootcamp. Perfect compromise and companion to my 15" rMBP w/Win 8.1 via Bootcamp as well.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 19, 2013

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

What's the determination for being able to keep a computer in your bag or not? I thought only tablets and e-readers were exempt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DNova posted:

What's the determination for being able to keep a computer in your bag or not? I thought only tablets and e-readers were exempt.

It's basically 'gently caress we have no idea now that the categories are starting to blur together'.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

DNova posted:

Under 13" according the TSA. I've never had an issue with my Surface Pro (which I've sold). Just leave it in there and they never said a thing. If I tried to leave my 12.5" Thinkpad in my bag, all hell breaks loose.

So I guess it's really under 12.5"? Not sure but an 11" laptop causes zero issues (owned an 11" MBA years ago, never had to remove it).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Under 13" according the TSA. I've never had an issue with my Surface Pro (which I've sold). Just leave it in there and they never said a thing. If I tried to leave my 12.5" Thinkpad in my bag, all hell breaks loose.

So I guess it's really under 12.5"? Not sure but an 11" laptop causes zero issues (owned an 11" MBA years ago, never had to remove it).

Well, they're probably visually rounding it to either 13 or 11, those being the sizes they're familiar with.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Remember when the TSA gave its consent to the Tumi T-Pass briefcase?

never forget.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Best 13"-14" laptop in the $800-1000 range? For various uses but not gaming; would like a decent processor and acceptable built-in camera and good build and battery life, etc. Dell offers the XPS 12 at $1200 before any sales (featuring a hinge!), the Thinkpad T430 starts at $764, or I could just wait for the new Retina MBP and pay the premium. Upgrading isn't urgent but what would be a good choice in general?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Remember when the TSA gave its consent to the Tumi T-Pass briefcase?

never forget.

You can still use cases like that, even with a 13"+ laptop. The TSA does occasionally ask you to totally remove it, but if the case opens up and the flap containing the laptop is by itself (like in the photos on the link) it's fine. Basically, it has to be separated from the other contents of your bag. Otherwise, the drone at the scanner screen has a shitfit and demands you remove you terrorist computer for screening. It's so aggravating. The only real solution is to get in on the PreCheck program and leave all that poo poo in your bag (liquids, leave your shoes belt and jacket on - it's amazing).

http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4063096 *

*The TSA reserves the right to ask anyone to remove a Laptop from its case, or re-screen any laptop or case

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 19, 2013

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

MikeJF posted:

Here's a side by side comparison video and while the Thinkpad's screen type is not mentioned explicitly, it does look like it's panel is inferior to the Yoga 2 Pro's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2fTHy_Izs

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

MikeJF posted:

Engadget preview says it's IPS.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-hands-on/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder why it's so noticeably different in that preview video, then.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

MikeJF posted:

I wonder why it's so noticeably different in that preview video, then.

Probably the anti-glare coating. v:shobon:v

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I don't see it being mentioned in this thread as a contender but I got a new Dell Inspiron 14 last week and I really think it is a good option.

The Inspiron 14 currently comes in two configurations, with an i5-4200U/6GB RAM or i7-4500U/8GB of RAM. The rest of the specs are the same:

Intel EXTREEEME 4400 integrated GPU only
500GB 5200RPM 5mm spinning hard drive
1920x1080 touchscreen display
58Whr battery
Dual Band WiFi 7260 2x2 AGN + Bluetooth 4.0
No wired ethernet
2x USB 3.0 ports
HDMI out
4.3lbs (my measurement) 15.3mm thick

Right out of the gate, the display on this thing is fantastic. I'm not sure if it is IPS but the colors are accurate right out of the box, viewing angles are good, and the display folds all the way back 180 degrees if you are into that. The RAM is soldered to the motherboard so there won't be any upgrades in your future in that respect. The keyboard is full sized, backlit, and sturdy, but the key travel is short. The laptop feels heavy for its size, but 4.3lbs isn't too heavy. The exterior is a strongish alloy so there's no creaking or bending.

The trackpad is a synaptic touchpad with a decent texture to it. It feels better than my old HP Envy 15's, but it is still a trackpad so the usual caveats apply. The click is crisp and precise and there's no jiggle to it. It's a bit short though, depth-wise, so I often end up activating the "swipe-down" gesture because I end up in the upper portion frequently. This can be disabled though, so problem solved. I know a lot of you are anti-touchscreen, but it makes using the trackpad slightly less disagreeable. I use the touchscreen for clicking larger things-- ok buttons, start menu tiles, web page buttons, scrolling. For precision you still need the trackpad to click.

Battery life is really good. I haven't drained the battery completely yet, but I can flip the laptop on when I get home at 6pm and use it until bed time at 11-12 and still have 30-40% left. Usage is web stuff, some visual studio C++ work, maybe OpenSCAD. The power adapter is a small, smaller than the size of two decks of cards, and the cord is around 10 feet long.

The hard drive in this thing is really its limiting factor. Sequential read speeds around 90MB/s, 4kb read speeds around 0MB/s. I've seen the "latency" in the windows 8 task manager reach close to 10 seconds. If something is hitting the hard drive, be prepared for the whole machine to be sluggish. Dell doesn't offer it as an option, but the motherboard has a 6BG/s mSATA slot so I've upgraded to a 240GB SSD as my main drive. Installing the mSATA is a bit of a oval office because you have to pretty much take the entire laptop apart to get to it (bottom side of the motherboard). After that upgrade you'll feel like you've got a new laptop.

The dual core 1.8GHz CPU is pretty quick, with a 3GHz turbo bin you'll see getting used frequently. Launching a game you'll see your 15W CPU throttle pretty hard once it hits 70C so don't think you'll be playing Star Citizen on it or anything. Indie games like FTL are fine and don't even hit the throttle. The laptop stays really cool in normal use, and the fan never kicks up to audible range unless something hammers the CPU for 30 seconds continually.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my biggest gripe, that PgUp/PgDn/Home/End are Fn keys on the arrows. 1" of space on each side of the keyboard and we can't have dedicated keys for these? For a developer this is a real productivity killer because I'm constantly moving around in source code with the keyboard and my brain keeps thinking that if I need to press Fn I need to also press shift, which selects text and then everything is a mess. The Visual Studio addin that makes the scrollbar into a live preview is a boon here because instead of PgUp/Dn I just look at where I want to be in the source and touch the screen there.

Cost is reasonable too. $940+$65 tax, and 5% back in "Dell Credit" as well as 2% cash back if you click through to Dell from Fat Wallet.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 19, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Didn't Apple use the huge cash stores that it was sitting on to buy all of these just to gently caress with everyone else for awhile?

Generally, yes, but sometimes a cheaper good laptop may happen to have a dedicated graphics card. For instance, the Y410p is pretty great and still affordable despite having a dGPU. It does suffer from having poor battery life (about 4-5 hours of moderate activity)

And the problem with waiting for Haswell with really good integrated graphics is that there's no known timeline for when we'll have more Intel HD 5000+ models. The HD 4600 is probably going to be enough for Arkham Origins, but it might not run great. If you're willing to wait several months for more to come out then you'll probably be able to get good performance out of an HD 5200. If you just want something right now and don't mind your laptop being a little heavier with a little less battery life, the Y410p is nice and cheap but still has pretty good build quality.

Y410s not available in the UK. My friend suggested the g700 instead http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/lenovo-g700-17-3-laptop-21426634-pdt.html Good idea?

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 19, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So Lenovo is formally looking into the yellow issue on the Y2P.

However, it seems like it's definitely software related. The Lenovo Energy Manager, when set to High Performance mode, makes the yellows look normal. So I just keep it in "high performance mode" but adjusted the power settings when on battery power to be basically the same as "balanced" mode.

Edit: I'm going to do another web-browsing test over night to see what effect this has on battery life at the same brightness.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 19, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just keep in mind that it's got a previous generation processor (i3-3xxx, i5-3xxx, i7-3xxx), and if you're willing to go that way instead of Haswell then you can get pretty much any configuration that you want

e: Oh wait, it's also 17" with only a 1600x900 resolution. If it's going to be 15" or larger than you should probably insist on a screen resolution of at least 1920x1080, and 17" laptops are annoying as hell to use because they're so bulky. Otherwise it looks fine, you could replace the HDD with an SSD and have a decently powerful laptop and what I assume is a reasonable price (I don't know what a reasonable price in GBP would be) with only a couple of potential downsides

... all of that said, get whatever you want, those are just my opinions

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I am the proud new owner of a Yoga 11s and I have no early idea what all the hubbub about yellows are. :shrug:

It's a fantastic build and great hardware for the right price. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but I think it ought to be the default non-Mac non-work machine suggestion.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

I am the proud new owner of a Yoga 11s and I have no early idea what all the hubbub about yellows are. :shrug:

It's a fantastic build and great hardware for the right price. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but I think it ought to be the default non-Mac non-work machine suggestion.

They yellow is an issue with the new Yoga 2 Pro, not the 11s.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

They yellow is an issue with the new Yoga 2 Pro, not the 11s.

Oh neat! Makes me feel even better about my purchase. :v:

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
Is it okay to buy the Yoga 2 yet, or are there still unresolved issues? I also can't seem to find one of the new Yoga 2 with these specs.

All the stores around me seem to be out of stock and it looks like buying one directly from lenovo with similar specs is about $300 more?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

singe posted:

Is it okay to buy the Yoga 2 yet, or are there still unresolved issues? I also can't seem to find one of the new Yoga 2 with these specs.

All the stores around me seem to be out of stock and it looks like buying one directly from lenovo with similar specs is about $300 more?

The yellow issue appears to be software but there's only a stop gap fix at the moment. That's really the only issue that's popped up. I heard one person who said their keyboard backlight was uneven but I don't think it's widespread.

And yeah for some reason Lenovo's sale doesn't apply to that one. But a lot of people (myself included) bought that model from Best Buy even though the website said out of stock. I'm not sure if that's changed now since I think it's officially released. But you might want to try going to the actual store and having them look up the SKU.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Does anyone know what the actual max resolution (or HDMI spec) for the micro HDMI out is for the Yoga 2 Pro?

I need a new work machine and have 2 27" monitors. Allegedly I can drive one with a USB 3.0 to DisplayPort connector, but I'd like to know if I can drive the other monitor with some combination of micro HDMI to DisplayPort/HDMI/DL-DVI and custom resolutions.

Alternatively, outside of the Yoga 2 Pro and the new Dell XPS 15, are there any other Haswell laptops with a QHD+ screen that might also work?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So a lot of people are suggesting installing a SSD Drive to the Lenovo y410p and doing a clean install on it.

And uh, installing the SSD is easy. But how do you do a clean install with the y410p? It didn't come with a reinstall disc. Do you need a separate Windows 8 key?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The key is embedded in the bios, just use any random single launguage windows 8 disc.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Klaus Kinski posted:

The key is embedded in the bios, just use any random single launguage windows 8 disc.
"This product key cannot be used in a retail version of Windows 8".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess someone over on Reddit says the T440 is now available for preorder through CDW and will ship mid-November.

Ugggh, I probably need a new laptop before then and I'm not sure I can wait, but I don't want to shell out for a non-Haswell at this stage in the game :smithicide:

Anyone have any experience with how lenient Lenovo's return policy is?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
I have a 2011 13'' MBA that's been getting increasingly lovely battery life, and I've also been more than a bit frustrated with performance when occasionally trying to work with large photos in Lightroom and Photoshop when I'm away from my desktop. I realize I'm definitely asking more from this machine than it's intended to do, so I've been lusting for the XPS 15 and it's sweet sweet display, but it's really more of a want than a need. In most cases, I'd be content to wait until I could use my more powerful desktop, but that drat 3200x1800 display is hard for me to ignore. To those of you that have the Yoga Pro 2, is the display THAT awesome in general use? Is anyone here using it for semi-serious photo editing?