Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My grandmother's best friend was named Jo King. She was a realtor and had calendars and billboards and whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Today at work, I encountered someone with the name An-G as her official first name of record.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ottawa has a realtor named Anita Hoare. And that would appear to be her married name :psyduck:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

flakeloaf posted:

Ottawa has a realtor named Anita Hoare. And that would appear to be her married name :psyduck:

There's a politician in my neck of the woods named Dudley Dudley. She was apparently named Dudley after her grandmother or something, and then she married a guy with the last name "Dudley". :psyduck:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Beardless posted:

There's a politician in my neck of the woods named Dudley Dudley. She was apparently named Dudley after her grandmother or something, and then she married a guy with the last name "Dudley". :psyduck:

My cousin's girlfriend's first name is the same as our last name. But it's a much more normal name for a girl.

The hilarious kicker is that her mother's maiden name is the same as his mother's married name. She gave her daughter her maiden name as a first name.

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013
I saw bills for a doctor years ago whose real name was Cutting B. Favour. For the longest time I was sure it was fake, but apparently not. He chose a profession fitting of his name.

http://www.ancientfaces.com/person/cutting-b-favour/4939104

Unlike one of my junior high gym teachers, Ray Mailman. (!)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I am co-mod on a Minecraft server with someone named Baylor, which isn't that strange-sounding but is uncommon enough I've never seen it anywhere else.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Bertrand Hustle posted:

She gave her daughter her maiden name as a first name.

This is not particularly uncommon historically. This is why there are various names that are both first and last names.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

razorrozar posted:

I am co-mod on a Minecraft server with someone named Baylor, which isn't that strange-sounding but is uncommon enough I've never seen it anywhere else.
There's a Baylor University here in Missouri, but I hadn't come across any others either until now.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
One of the managers of the local electronics store is named Qyrstyn [last name].

Seriously. Qyrstyn. I don't even know how to pronounce it (although I can guess), let alone WHY you would inflict it on a child.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
She most likely inflicted it on herself because Kristen/Kirsten didn't accurately express what a special snowflake she is. In middle school, I had friends named Meghan, Erin and Julie who began spelling their names Megn, Arin, and Giuli to make themselves seem extra-special.

Haven't spoken to any of them in ages, but according to Facebook the first two still spell their names that way, years later.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

poo poo, if it were in Toronto, then one of the names in this health board meeting prank could have been a real person.

I just found an obituary in an Ottawa newspaper for someone called William Loney. He went by Bill for some reason.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.
This was a LiveJournal "wank" from way back: the chick who named her kid P.A.R.A.D.O.X.A.L. and wanted to divorce the baby's father for not letting her do his vasectomy herself.

Yeah, "L.", because they apparently couldn't come up with a good L name and ALSO because anime. They have a younger girl now with another completely bullshit ridiculous name.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
I ran across this guy's marker at Fort Snelling National Cemetery a few years ago, it stuck in my head because it's just too perfect.

Died four years before Alvin and The Chipmunks was a thing.

There was a woman in my work the other day who had a gaggle of kids with her, and she called out "Rohan, get your coat we're leaving." She also had a Rider in her group, but I'm unsure if the two were related (they probably were.)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lolitas Alright! posted:

This was a LiveJournal "wank" from way back: the chick who named her kid P.A.R.A.D.O.X.A.L. and wanted to divorce the baby's father for not letting her do his vasectomy herself.

Yeah, "L.", because they apparently couldn't come up with a good L name and ALSO because anime. They have a younger girl now with another completely bullshit ridiculous name.
Is the baby a boy or a girl? I'm seeing both masculine and feminine names on that list. :stare:

tokillthesunflower posted:

I ran across this guy's marker at Fort Snelling National Cemetery a few years ago, it stuck in my head because it's just too perfect.

Oh, this is beautiful.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.
Girl. They ended up defaulting to just calling her Pandora for short, which I feel is a total cop-out to giving the kid a loving acronym for a name.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm incredibly mad about Paradoxal. I'm so mad about Paradoxal you don't even know.

What the gently caress kind of a loving name is Paradoxal jesus loving christ.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I was in a restaurant/bar tonight and the Boston-Detroit baseball game was on the TV. I said something about it to a waiter I sort of know, and he said he didn't really care about the game, but he pointed out the unfortunately named Doug Fister.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I'm reading muster rolls from the 1680s for my dissertation, and yesterday I found a dude named Centuriy (Century) Von Breittenbach. He's a corporal. Good for you, man. Just...good for you. Hope you had a fantastic life.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

SPADAQUE VOLCIMUS :black101:

Named after a gardening tool, I guess.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Holy crap that is a beautiful name and flag combination. :golfclap:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I'm still hung up on trying to pronounce the Pole's name. Kish-chot? Kich-kot? Dude needs to go on Wheel of Fortune so he can buy a vowel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was thinking Ksz-scott, maybe?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I'm hazarding something like ksh-chot based on Wikipedia's IPA pronunciation for the name.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I'm still hung up on trying to pronounce the Pole's name. Kish-chot? Kich-kot? Dude needs to go on Wheel of Fortune so he can buy a vowel.

In Polish digraphs the "z" kind of works like "h" in English digraphs, in the sense Polish "sz" is like English "sh" and Polish "cz" is like English "ch". So imagine it being "Kshchot" for English and you'll get pretty close.

Czech was historically similar but they started using the caron mark instead, so, for example, Czech "č" is basically Polish "cz" is basically English "ch". The word "Czech" made it into English before this was standardized, which is why in English we write "Czech Republic" while in Czech they write "Česká republika", etc.

(For Polish, the one weird one is Polish "rz" which is along the lines of "zh" in English, because of the Polish pronunciation of "r" being vaguely similar to the Spanish pronunciation of "r".)

tacodaemon has a new favorite as of 06:32 on Oct 19, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, at least now I can say I've learned something today!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Oh, so szcz is basically щ. Alright, gotcha. :tipshat:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

If you also know that:

(1) "o" in Polish writing is pronounced similarly to what Americans call "short o" (as in "hot" or "cot"), and

(2) "ie" in Polish writing has a sound that I guess could be written in English as "yeh" or "yuh", then

you can figure out that the popular Mad magazine nonsense word "Potrzebie" (which is an actual Polish word) is pronounced something like pot-ZHEB-yuh

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
You can hear someone from Poland pronounce it here:
http://www.forvo.com/word/adam_kszczot/#pl

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I give you Gaylord Silly and a discussion of Polish pronunciation ensues?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Say Nothing posted:

I give you Gaylord Silly and a discussion of Polish pronunciation ensues?

So, how much emphasis should I give the H in "Khumalo"? Or is "kh" pronounced more like the German "ch"? I need to know!

You knew you were asking for it. :rolleye:

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Oct 20, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gah!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I can't remember if I've posted it before, but I was reminded of it after just seeing a Facebook post - a girl I grew up with had a daughter not too long ago, and named her "Paylen."

For exactly the reason you're thinking of and dreading.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Acid Reflux posted:

I can't remember if I've posted it before, but I was reminded of it after just seeing a Facebook post - a girl I grew up with had a daughter not too long ago, and named her "Paylen."

It's wishful naming. She wants her daughter to be almost president someday.

The spelling makes me think of Payless shoe store though.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Seeing this thread reminded me that I saw this on my Facebook feed a while back. The father was the friend of an acquaintance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Acid Reflux posted:

She's an obnoxious Monty Python fangirl?