Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

soapgish posted:

The abject lack of reading comprehension in this place! Dude, the issue was never if the RAM is available or not, as it's RAM and therefore it is- the issue is it's being used when I'm not doing anything. I turn the computer on, and it loads information for apps that aren't open and I don't want things open if I don't open them. Like a door, I prefer my house shut instead of it opening randomly on the guess that I may be about to walk through.

You know this has been in place since Vista, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_I/O_technologies#SuperFetch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
http://www.linuxatemyram.com/ I know I know, wrong OS for this thread, but the concepts are the same.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

soapgish posted:

The abject lack of reading comprehension in this place! Dude, the issue was never if the RAM is available or not, as it's RAM and therefore it is- the issue is it's being used when I'm not doing anything. I turn the computer on, and it loads information for apps that aren't open and I don't want things open if I don't open them. Like a door, I prefer my house shut instead of it opening randomly on the guess that I may be about to walk through.

I suggest installing Linux and writing your own memory allocation algorithm. That way you know exactly where and how your RAM is allocated. I believe soapgish is sufficiently advanced enough to not need anyone's help allocating his RAM.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
So after a year of using windows 8, I was quite excited by the news that windows 8.1 would be bringing back the start button, foolishly thinking that meant the start menu. My heart broke when I clicked on the start button and it went to the metro screen. So it looks like the start menu isn't back, and my ambivalent feelings for the metro interface has grown over the year into hatred.

So what are the best start menu replacements?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

=/= http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-8-1-apps-dont-want-to-close-tombstoning-new-cool, and still that doesn't account for why 8.1 requires substantially more memory to do the job than any predecessor has. My personal computing is going to occur the same as otherwise, but that doesn't exclude me from having an issue with the operating system doing what I don't want it to because they sense so many others will go into shock if there's a second lapse between Angry Ninjas and Bird Fruits. 8 was a retort to Apple, whose products require less know-how and have a certain style, and 8.1 is Microsoft's attempt to turn all machines running it into a specific kind of device, problem being that this isn't a tablet, and I don't do but a tiny fraction of my computing that way. How in the world this became, "Windows 8.1 has no problems and it's supposed to use more to do less," I'll never know.

Oh, something about the highly intelligent being equally moronic.

FSMC posted:

So what are the best start menu replacements?

A number of people swear by http://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

alyandon posted:

Same problem here except my BIOS supports SecureBoot and I have it intentionally disabled. :(
Google is no help for me at the moment, as the answer for this issue tends to be either:
1.) Enable SecureBoot!
2.) Why is UEFI even enabled?

I guess I'm stuck waiting for an update from either Lenovo or Microsoft now.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

soapgish posted:

You're stuck in 2003/XP mentality.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wow is it 2006 again?
I'm having trouble installing flash for this hilarious website you're the man now dog dot com.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
Anyone else having any issues with the Windows Store? Every time I try to install an app, I get error code 0x8e53021f. I haven't been able to track down any information on what could be causing it.

e: Clean reinstall seems to have did the trick.

insert_funny fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 19, 2013

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I really wanted to make the jump from 7 to 8 with this update, as it looks pretty stellar overall (I usually always wait a year before jumping on a new OS). Unfortunately, there's reports of massive mouse lag in some games on reddit as well as on several gaming journalism sites. Hopefully this gets patched up so I can give Microsoft money!

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Huh. I just launched Deus Ex: HR as a test after looking that up, and sure enough, the mouse is lagging pretty bad. Not even that, but it jumps erratically. :psyduck:

e: You can fix it by ticking this:

Disable DPI scaling and it does the trick.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 19, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Luckily my gaming mboard has all new drivers out in the last week for Windows 8.1 - I recommend checking if your vendor does too. I updated my laptop with an ISO I downloaded from the VLK site and it kept all my applications, even the steam games I had installed. poo poo, it remembered my Firefox tabs.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I just got this because my win7 install died and I lost the disk, so I got a copy of 8.1 from Dreamspark.

I transfered a bunch of my games over, how do I get windows to recognise them as being installed? I really don't want to have to manually go to program files every time i want to play a nonsteam game.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I just got this because my win7 install died and I lost the disk, so I got a copy of 8.1 from Dreamspark.

I transfered a bunch of my games over, how do I get windows to recognise them as being installed? I really don't want to have to manually go to program files every time i want to play a nonsteam game.

You copied them over? You should have installed them?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

kiwid posted:

You copied them over? You should have installed them?

Well so far it's only league of legends, but I downloaded the patcher, ran it and let it go for a bit, closed it, then copied all the stuff over, ran it again and it jumped straight to the end. I can play the game, windows just doesn't know that it's installed.

I've decided that I'm going to install things as I need them. I've only done one other game but it was through steam.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 19, 2013

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

thebigcow posted:

http://www.linuxatemyram.com/ I know I know, wrong OS for this thread, but the concepts are the same.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also: (ISO downloader)

benitocereno posted:

google calendar tip

OP updated with all this good stuff

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I haven't had to deal with this in a long time or ever, I can't remember, but I'm having trouble installing programs and doing things with my files in general. I should be set as administrator, but everything I do it asks for administrator permission. I turned UAC off and it doesn't grey out my screen for that anymore at least. But I couldn't install a program within a folder I had setup in Program File(x86) because it was being denied access.

It was set up as Program Files (x86) -> Games and in that I had installations of Origin and Steam which were fine. I had a third folder there for any other programs like mod managers and such, which is what I am trying to install, that is denying me permission.

Am I just an idiot and it is telling me I'm not supposed to be installing anything in Program Files x86, despite that being the default installation path?

Also, oddly. Control Panel reads I have 8GB of RAM. CPU-Z reads I have 12GB (which is what I installed).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ularg posted:

Am I just an idiot and it is telling me I'm not supposed to be installing anything in Program Files x86, despite that being the default installation path?

"Program Files" folder contents aren't supposed to be manipulated and Windows does the UAC thing specifically to address this. If you are going to be messing with a lot of that sort of stuff, you should absolutely have your stuff installed elsewhere (e.g. C:\Steam).

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

univbee posted:

"Program Files" folder contents aren't supposed to be manipulated and Windows does the UAC thing specifically to address this. If you are going to be messing with a lot of that sort of stuff, you should absolutely have your stuff installed elsewhere (e.g. C:\Steam).

Okay, I have no idea why I didn't do it ahead of time when I installed Origin and Steam and they picked Program files. Those won't mind being yanked to a new folder, would they? Don't care about saves.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ularg posted:

Okay, I have no idea why I didn't do it ahead of time when I installed Origin and Steam and they picked Program files. Those won't mind being yanked to a new folder, would they? Don't care about saves.

I think Steam is generally pretty good about being moved around, no idea about Origin. If you want to do it "cleanly", copy the folder contents elsewhere, do a proper uninstall/reinstall of Steam/Origin, and then copy the files back.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
You have the mentality on RAM usage from back when every 4KB of RAM usage you could lower meant 4KB that wouldn't be paged from a 5400 RPM, low aerial density platter drive. At one point, it made sense for RAM to be handled with a scarcity strategy. Now we get to handle RAM with an abundance strategy.
RAM that is not doing anything is useless. It's not that maximum RAM usage is inefficient, it's that minimum RAM usage is inefficient (on the premise that RAM can be allocated on demand as required by the user). Windows tries to make itself ready for user actions at the drop of a hat and part of that strategy is actually making use of the hardware instead of just powering it to do nothing.

To think about it with a comparison reminiscent of the one that helped me get over my intuitive misunderstanding of the Monty Hall problem, imagine you have 1GB used out of 1TB of available RAM. -Does that seem like an efficient use of resources?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

univbee posted:

I think Steam is generally pretty good about being moved around, no idea about Origin. If you want to do it "cleanly", copy the folder contents elsewhere, do a proper uninstall/reinstall of Steam/Origin, and then copy the files back.

Steam didn't care, probably loved it. Origin on the other hand hated it so much that my current installations stopped working, even if you don't move the Origin Games folder they reside in. Only slightly mad since all I had installed was Mass Effect 3 and I have the case in front of me ready to reinstall. But I was just told a few days ago by EA support "Oh yeah Origin Games folder doesn't care just move it wherever you have an installation of Origin"

I also now hate that every installation points to program files by default. I still get asked for administrator permissions as administrator though matter where I install or create folders, though.

Edit: Woo I think I broke something. It keeps recreating the Origin Games folder in Program Files. God drat I am a loving moron.

And now I can't reinstall Mass Effect 3 with the disc. I hit install and then it does nothing.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 19, 2013

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
^ Oh, you tried that already? :smith:

univbee posted:

Origin behaves similarly to Steam from my experience. Just put the games in the game installs folder (it's in Origin's settings menu). Then they'll appear as though they're still not installed, so just go through the motions as though to download and install them, and then it'll just verify the files and you'll be done.

At least, that's how it worked when I moved my Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 3 installs to a new PC.

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

Google is no help for me at the moment, as the answer for this issue tends to be either:
1.) Enable SecureBoot!
2.) Why is UEFI even enabled?

I guess I'm stuck waiting for an update from either Lenovo or Microsoft now.

Exactly. General Googling and reading the Dell forums has been useless. I don't know if this is really a Windows 8.1 problem or if it some quirk in Dell's BIOS causing the watermark to appear.

It does go away when I enable SecureBoot but I want to boot other operating systems without having to hassle with disabling it in the BIOS.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Have they fixed it yet to where I can disable the automatic pop up touch keyboard when I click on a text box? (Touch laptop user here)

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler
Installed 8.1 after running 8 for almost a year,the upgrade went smooth until I rebooted to uninstall start8. The USB ports in Windows I.1 stopped working and I had to flatten and go back to Win7.

gently caress this poo poo.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I like how people have a random problem like that (that probably isn't even Windows' fault) and act like it is happening to everyone or it's intended behavior or something. Yeah, Windows 8.1 renders everyone's USB ports unusable. Also why did you "have to" go back to Windows 7 instead of 8?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hogburto posted:

You have the mentality on RAM usage from back when every 4KB of RAM usage you could lower meant 4KB that wouldn't be paged from a 5400 RPM, low aerial density platter drive. At one point, it made sense for RAM to be handled with a scarcity strategy. Now we get to handle RAM with an abundance strategy.
RAM that is not doing anything is useless. It's not that maximum RAM usage is inefficient, it's that minimum RAM usage is inefficient (on the premise that RAM can be allocated on demand as required by the user). Windows tries to make itself ready for user actions at the drop of a hat and part of that strategy is actually making use of the hardware instead of just powering it to do nothing.

To think about it with a comparison reminiscent of the one that helped me get over my intuitive misunderstanding of the Monty Hall problem, imagine you have 1GB used out of 1TB of available RAM. -Does that seem like an efficient use of resources?

See the thing is I don't think he fails to understand. He seems to get that the ram is still available, he just wants to see the number lower because ???

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I have a Windows Phone and the Google calendar works through that OK.

Also:
"Tip of the week: Create Windows 8.1 (or 8.0) install media

Microsoft says you have to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 from the web. But if you previously purchased Windows 8, or purchased Windows 8.1 electronically, you can use your product key to make install media and do a clean install. Here's the secret page."

I just tried this, but the downloader is telling me 8.1 isn't available for download in my region (Canada). I need to make an install media since the update from the windows store seems to have broken pretty much everything, and I no longer have my 8.0 install media.

And by broken I mean the only apps that will run are Skype, Desktop Explorer, Metro Explorer. The rest fail silently, and all the apps / live tiles on the start page just show the package names. I'd refresh but the settings page wont launch either.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Holy poo poo the music app is actually good now and being able to resize it on the desktop owns. :stare:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

So, updated to Windows 8.1. Here are the problems that I noted that affected me:

1. Drivers appear to have been reinstalled using default options. This is OK in most cases. For NVidia drivers and my audio drivers (UNi Xonar Audio drivers) this was bad.
  2. Needed to update StartIsBack. Was expected.
  3. (This applies to StartIsBack) My pinned start menu apps got wiped. This is probably because the update process wipes out a good majority of %appdata%\Microsoft. To prevent this, you'll want to back up %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu before you update.
  4. "This PC". :rolleyes:
  5. Pagefile options were wiped.
  6. Explorer's Folder Options got wiped.
  7. Removed folders from "Computer" (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos).
  8. I haven't done any thorough testing, but CEG protected games (Steam DRM) will need to be validated to get it to regenerate their game executables.

Everything else appears to be just fine.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

keyframe posted:

Holy poo poo the music app is actually good now and being able to resize it on the desktop owns. :stare:

You're bullshitting me, right? How do I do that?

Ed: I can get it to desktop like before, but it still takes up a fair amount of screen real estate. Still, it is much better than before.

Alright, much much better. Good one, Microsoft.

Ed2: Hmmm, maybe it is smaller in snap mode than it was before. I can't tell, but if it is then that's perfect.

Ed3rd: Oh holy poo poo, you can make it smaller. This is so much loving better than before.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 19, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh poo poo, this is basically the only thing annoying me about this OS so far, thanks!

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Update wasn't so painless for me. Mostly my fault I suppose...I moved my users folder to a second drive during my initial installation of Win8 since my SSD is only 80GB. That caused all sorts of issues with the update so my only option was to reinstall Win8 and then update to 8.1.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah I've done the same thing before when I had a smaller SSD and it's really not worth the trouble. Just move the library folders (Downloads, Music, Documents, etc.) and leave the rest alone, those usually contain most of the space eating files anyway.

If you move the whole Users folder over you lose a lot of the benefits of an SSD since a whole ton of little reads and writes happen to your AppData folder, and pretty much any app will spin up your hard drive if the whole thing is on your HDD.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Well I moved the Users folder to another 80GB SSD but I definitely understand your point. I'll do what I can with the space I have and some time when a good deal pops up on a 256GB drive or so I'll just upgrade to that.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Lance Streetman posted:

You're bullshitting me, right? How do I do that?

Ed: I can get it to desktop like before, but it still takes up a fair amount of screen real estate. Still, it is much better than before.

Alright, much much better. Good one, Microsoft.

Ed2: Hmmm, maybe it is smaller in snap mode than it was before. I can't tell, but if it is then that's perfect.

Ed3rd: Oh holy poo poo, you can make it smaller. This is so much loving better than before.

Yea now you can resize it to any size instead of big and bigger like before. The UI is way better as well.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

keyframe posted:

Yea now you can resize it to any size instead of big and bigger like before. The UI is way better as well.

I'll say. This is much more usable than before. Time will tell if I use this or Winamp as my main player, but it's definitely better than it was before.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

Hmmm, what's the trick to doing this? If I snap it, it still takes about about 1/4 the size of my monitor. Unless that's what you mean. I've never used the music app much, so I don't know if that's what you are referring to or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

sether01 posted:

Hmmm, what's the trick to doing this? If I snap it, it still takes about about 1/4 the size of my monitor. Unless that's what you mean. I've never used the music app much, so I don't know if that's what you are referring to or not.

When you snap things now, you'll notice the bar that seperates the snapped app from the rest of the screen has those dots on it that shows it's resizeable.

There seems to be some sort of resolution cutoff below which this doesn't work, but it's less than 1280x1024.

• Locked thread