Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Havegum
Aug 29, 2013

DancingPenguin posted:

The Poliwag-thing looks really cool and I love Öresundsbro painting.
Are you based in the Nordics?
In Norway, to be precise. I made that because I like the "Bron | Broen" Series

More stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Havegum posted:

I think it looks like it's alternating between taking one step forward, then sidestepping one to its left.

Here's something heavily inspired from hyper light drifter

And also a cat

Yeah! It's that far leg looking off isn't it? I'm finding it hard to make his foot point up like he's putting his weight on the ball of his foot.

Also My phone hosed up and played every gif backwards and with frames all over the place and it looked like they were all doing funky dances.

Edit: Oh and have this!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 16, 2013

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Numb's no good, but it sure beats the hurt
At the risk of self-promoting, a couple of friends and myself have started a pixel challenge blog over at http://compixellated.tumblr.com/ if any of you are interested. This week's challenge is animation and we've actually already received a goon submission (I knew I recognized Havegum's art but I couldn't recall where)

We make a post every week on Sundays, so if any of you are having difficulty getting inspired or just want extra practice it'd be cool to check out :shobon:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

stegoceras posted:

At the risk of self-promoting, a couple of friends and myself have started a pixel challenge blog over at http://compixellated.tumblr.com/ if any of you are interested. This week's challenge is animation and we've actually already received a goon submission (I knew I recognized Havegum's art but I couldn't recall where)

We make a post every week on Sundays, so if any of you are having difficulty getting inspired or just want extra practice it'd be cool to check out :shobon:

I was wondering when you'd post over here.

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Numb's no good, but it sure beats the hurt

Shoehead posted:

I was wondering when you'd post over here.

I always forget this thread exists.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Shoehead posted:

Trying to do a right to left walk again.. If any of you remember me posting during the summer. I'm super shite at this part. I don't know why I just cant get it!

Edit:

Better?

You can see it right? There is like an optical illusion happening making it look like he is kicking his back leg further into the background. I think there are two reason:

1) The leg in the background looks like it is shrinking due to the angle of the foot. This might be completely fixed if you fix number 2) though.

2) You have the body moving up and down on two frames but the legs have three unique frames. This tricks the brain into thinking that there are only two frames of animation, and it mentally "resets" after the second frame, causing me to interpret the walk motion very differently than is intended.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Havegum posted:

In Norway, to be precise. I made that because I like the "Bron | Broen" Series

More stuff

I really like the other ones you posted, but I feel like that one is too "linear". There's little acceleration/deceleration in the movement and it makes it feel wrong somehow.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Took a break to do this fella.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
That's rad as hell, Shoehead! Very nice for three frames.

Skiant posted:

I really like the other ones you posted, but I feel like that one is too "linear". There's little acceleration/deceleration in the movement and it makes it feel wrong somehow.

How about some "anticipation" before he gets going: a movement in the opposite direction to prepare for moving forward. Maybe a "bounce" in the end - going over the extreme position and returning back a little.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
Here's an intro I made for my YouTube channel:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

RabidGolfCart that rules, good job!

I used to do some pixel editing when I would mess with rm2k3 years ago, and recently I've had this itch to make a game for fun so I've been doing some pixel drawing again. I am not actually very good at this at all but it's fun and I've made a few things that I'm not completely ashamed of:

I don't really know who this person is or why she has ghostly white skin but I guess it's just a thing I did? I'm also not really sure how I feel about the animations overall but they were my first try and honestly they came out a little better than I thought they would.

Here's my entry for tree talk:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
RabidGolfCart: I dig the style and palette, but the thumbs-up doesn't read very well for me. Maybe consider exaggerating the size of the hands a little more?

romanowski: Those are some really nice walk cycles. Cool stuff.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

My little submission for that thread that was linked. Oh man if I only knew sooner. I kind of been in a rut with art these few months.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Awesome walk cycles, I'm jealous.

Reminds me of the DS Castlevanias.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Trying to get a colour palette together. Am I on the right track here?

edit: linked an earlier version, whoops.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 21, 2013

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Supernorn posted:

Really rad. I really like color palettes like that, stuff ties into each other well most of the time. There might be too many similar colors around the blue area, and that yellowgreen and the yellow on the right hand side seem maybe too close to each other, but overall if it works it works. Make some stuff and see what you find is lacking!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Supernorn posted:

edit: linked an earlier version, whoops.

You have 2 kind of light points; blue and yellow. I think you need higher contrast (particularly in the green-blue-purple ramp), because if you squint the colours just blend into each other. At the moment it's like a whole bunch of colours have the same perceptual value, just with variation in hue and saturation.

Here's a colour analysis using DawnBringer's Grafx2 toolset

as you can see there is a mass of blue, a mass of red, orange, green etc; but not spread out vertically.

Here's a well-balanced 32 col palette by comparison:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I think it's improving?

Havegum
Aug 29, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

Here's a colour analysis using DawnBringer's Grafx2 toolset

as you can see there is a mass of blue, a mass of red, orange, green etc; but not spread out vertically.

I'm trying to get this thing to work, I've installed grafx2 and downloaded the toolbox kit, as well as put it in the right folder. Yet it doesn't show up in the brush factory?
It does say "Load brush" at the top though, and what I'm looking for is more a script? Or maybe that doesn't matter? Here's a picture:

e: Exploring more folders, I find that it discovers .gif files, but not .lua. Perhaps I'm browsing through the wrong window after all?

e2: I have been left-clicking all this time, but it turns out I was supposed to right-click the [FX] button! Silly me ..

Havegum fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 23, 2013

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Exclamation Marx posted:

Cool feedback with crazy graphs etc.

So you're saying I need to make the ramps a little more distinct, got it. I actually made a lot of progress with the palette after making that post, and i'm currently experimenting with drawing up some tile sets. But I'll work on it some more:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Supernorn posted:

So you're saying I need to make the ramps a little more distinct, got it. I actually made a lot of progress with the palette after making that post, and i'm currently experimenting with drawing up some tile sets. But I'll work on it some more:

That looks great. Nice work.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Havegum posted:

I'm trying to get this thing to work, I've installed grafx2 and downloaded the toolbox kit, as well as put it in the right folder. Yet it doesn't show up in the brush factory?
It does say "Load brush" at the top though, and what I'm looking for is more a script? Or maybe that doesn't matter? Here's a picture:

e: Exploring more folders, I find that it discovers .gif files, but not .lua. Perhaps I'm browsing through the wrong window after all?

Ugh I'm probably the last person you'd want to ask, I couldn't even get grafx2 to work on my desktop.
I *think* you need to download the Toolbox v1.3 link at the top of this page here. Here's an overview of everything it does.

This one is better, but there's still a couple of things:
pretty much every ramp ends in a highly-saturated colour, and every of those colours is distinct from the others. I think a universal, desaturated lightest colour is beneficial (kinda like the pale blue, but lighter and able to go next to the lightest colour of each ramp smoothly. I often end up with something like this

but obviously with less pure colours and plenty of crossover between strands, variations in saturation, etc.

Contrast is much better in this iteration, but I think there's still some problems:

If you squint at the longest vertical line of colours, they appear to be pretty much the same value. It's fine to have a few like that, obviously, but it seems like colour waste - you could ditch one or two of those and add a nice peach skin tone, a range of bluer purples, and so on. I reckon if you pushed one of the colours in these pairs either up or down in value it could do wonders:

Oh, and I recoloured a couple of things. Can be a neat trick when working on a palette's versatility :)

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

A game dev asked me to propose a graphic update for a main character and I sent him this. I'll probably keep the original under wraps for the time being, as I don't know what's happening with my involvement at this point.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Scut posted:

A game dev asked me to propose a graphic update for a main character and I sent him this. I'll probably keep the original under wraps for the time being, as I don't know what's happening with my involvement at this point.

It really reminds me of Syndicate, I think it's the palette.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Good news for Gaspy Conana, Dropsy got some love on Rock Paper Shotgun!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/25/dropsy-is-an-adorable-grotesque-open-world-adventure/

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
I contracted an animator to come up with a pixel music video for one my artist's, EASTGHOST. Hope you all enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLRa40Fp7gU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Dropsy is over $10,000!! It's so close! :holy:

I did this during the week until I got sick of looking at it.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
We're now just over 12! Yay! And I dig that, but something about the single line highlight on the top of his head is distracting. Maybe thicken it up a bit or something? I don't know. Looks great, though.

Scut posted:

Good news for Gaspy Conana, Dropsy got some love on Rock Paper Shotgun!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/25/dropsy-is-an-adorable-grotesque-open-world-adventure/

That coverage helped us SO much. I didn't realize how much of a pull RPS had. If you guys wanna follow the progress, there's a Dropsy thread in the Games forum. :)

Havegum
Aug 29, 2013

Gaspy Conana posted:

That coverage helped us SO much. I didn't realize how much of a pull RPS had. If you guys wanna follow the progress, there's a Dropsy thread in the Games forum. :)
Dropped by :10bux:. I'm quite new to SA in general, and so I weren't around for the original Dropsy thread sadly. I'm really excited about the game though, it looks great from what I've seen so far!

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Exclamation Marx posted:

Invaluable advice

Thanks for this by the way, I've never tried to do a palette before so this is really helpful.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gaspy Conana posted:

We're now just over 12! Yay! And I dig that, but something about the single line highlight on the top of his head is distracting. Maybe thicken it up a bit or something? I don't know. Looks great, though.

Maybe I should. I am totally just trying shapes and stuff until I break my brain and understand lighting right. Fake it til you make it :v:

I think this dude died of a headache.

Edit: Oh man I missed a pixel! That's gonna drive me NUTS!

Havegum
Aug 29, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Maybe I should. I am totally just trying shapes and stuff until I break my brain and understand lighting right. Fake it til you make it :v:

It might not be very useful at all, but I recently saw this demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSeE7JnXhbE&t=2642s and I thought it was insightful. The whole interview is really interesting, though it's not strictly pixel oriented.

Here's a eerie Gameboy game mockup I'm doing for this weeks compixelated challenge.
I totally forgot it was supposed to be based off of a scary movie though, whoops.

Havegum fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 30, 2013

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Havegum posted:

It might not be very useful at all, but I recently saw this demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSeE7JnXhbE&t=2642s and I thought it was insightful. The whole interview is really interesting, though it's not strictly pixel oriented.

That is a good tutorial as he does a good job of explaining his thought process with each step. I find I can often paint more easily with pixel art because the colour and scale constraints free up enough of my brain to wrap my head around painting concepts more easily.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I decided to try my hand at this stuff. Read the OP and some of the tutorials and whatnot. Really helpful stuff! Anyway, I downloaded GraphicsGale and dawnbringer's palette. I figured I should limit my palette and try to work within that. After about an hour of futzing around, I came up with... a half-assed tree. But I'm proud of this half-assed tree. There's the middle section of the trunk that I just don't know what to do with. With the rest of the trunk I tried to make it seem... bark-like? The upper left branch has to be shaded still, to cover for the fact that there are leaves over it. You can see my "attempt" at background leaves. This is surprisingly nerve-wracking, trying this. I'll have to take a break and come back to this. But it is a bunch of fun.

Real-Sized

Embiggened

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
It actually looks pretty good, except for that thing jutting out on the left. I'd remove that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Same with the shadow on the lower right of the trunk. At both sizes it looks kinda boxy and weird. Otherwise it looks real nice.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Thanks for the advice and kind words! I still don't know how to go about the colors for the background leaves within this palette. It's not perfect, obviously, but I still like it. At this point I'll call it "done" and try my hand at something else. Maybe a simple running animation?

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Giving some existing assets a few tweaks, and recoloured them using the new palette. New vs Old:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Edit: ^^^ Definitely sharper. I like it.

Just saw this on twitter. Not too sure about it because making stuff by hand is always better, plus it doesn't seem to be revolutionary tech (just a normal mapping algorithm in low-res), but the shadows are surprisingly nice on some of the examples.

http://www.spritelamp.com/

Dynamic lighting engine for sprites.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Supernorn posted:

Giving some existing assets a few tweaks, and recoloured them using the new palette. New vs Old:

That new palette is miles more vibrant. I look forward to getting bludgeoned to death by any one of these items :unsmigghh: