Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

'Yo Hawk, what it do!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Why isn't one of these for Jozy yet? It's OK, no need to rush.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Why the hell do the Americans give so many caps to people? I mean poo poo doesn't Landon Donovan have something ridiculous like 150+ caps?

They have no depth and their friendlies are against bigger teams than their "competitive" matches so they just play the same team

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Monday Bandele posted:

Why isn't one of these for Jozy yet? It's OK, no need to rush.

tbp has a pretty fancy chart

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
looks like Jozys days as a star of his national team might be numbered - the young lad Giuseppe Rossi, from New Jersey, scored a brilliant hat-trick to turn Fiorentina's 0-2 deficit into a 4-2 win. He's the future of the USMNT whilst Jozy is a sad reminder of its shameful past.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Why the hell do the Americans give so many caps to people? I mean poo poo doesn't Landon Donovan have something ridiculous like 150+ caps?

It happens in smaller and soccer-developing countries. For example Estonia has a shedload of 100+ cappers from the 90s when soccer was new here and only 11 people played.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Babby Thatcher posted:

looks like Jozys days as a star of his national team might be numbered - the young lad Giuseppe Rossi, from New Jersey, scored a brilliant hat-trick to turn Fiorentina's 0-2 deficit into a 4-2 win. He's the future of the USMNT whilst Jozy is a sad reminder of its shameful past.

Oh gosh, oh gosh, I don't know how to tell you this..

Carrier
May 12, 2009

gently caress me Jozy is terrible.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

jyrka posted:

It happens in smaller and soccer-developing countries. For example Estonia has a shedload of 100+ cappers from the 90s when soccer was new here and only 11 people played.

How come 'soccer' was ever 'new' when the Soviet Union won a european championship, played in a final in 1988, all while Kiev had their golden years around then too?

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Koesj posted:

How come 'soccer' was ever 'new' when the Soviet Union won a european championship, played in a final in 1988, all while Kiev had their golden years around then too?

Maybe because none of the people involved in that team were Estonian?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Koesj posted:

Why did you put the word soccer in apostrophes?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Like 40% of Estonians are ethnically Russian.

vaginal culture posted:

Why did you put the word soccer in apostrophes?

I'm a habitual apostropher.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

The USMNT should really call up Veloce E'Buono, imo.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Koesj posted:

I'm a habitual apostropher.

Not all the people in a huge rear end country made of different republics care about the same things op.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Would Jozy get into the Estonia squad?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Koesj posted:

It was considered a Russians' game and no one local played it. Historically basketball is the Estonians' game with all the old Olympic/WC/Euros gold winning teams having several Estonians in them. Kiev is nowhere near Estonia geographically or culturally.

Koesj posted:

I think you mean 40% of Estonian citizens, not Estonians. And it's actually below 25% according to wikipedia.

Meat Wagon posted:

Would Jozy get into the Estonia squad?

Yeah, he'd fit right into the squad. We have 5-6 strikers who are similarly poo poo.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

jyrka posted:

It was considered a Russians' game and no one local played it. Historically basketball is the Estonians' game with all the old Olympic/WC/Euros gold winning teams having several Estonians in them. Kiev is nowhere near Estonia geographically or culturally.
Kinda embarrassing when your best player produced is like Martin Muursepp or something tbh

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Chris de Sperg posted:

The USMNT should really call up Veloce E'Buono, imo.

Yeah, The Bahamas have been dragging their feet so I don't see why not.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Chris de Sperg posted:

Kinda embarrassing when your best player produced is like Martin Muursepp or something tbh

It's Mart Poom mate

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

belgend posted:

It's Mart Poom mate
Let's kick homophobia out of football.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

OK! Ya I meant citizens but that'll teach me listening to one of your Russian-speaking countrymen.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Lets get this thread talking about USMNT superstar Josmer "jozy" Altidore again.

It was nice to see jozy get subbed on at 82 minutes to add to his now surely dwindling time in the premier league. Gone from first pick starting forward to on the bench in a crucial game, was dicanio starting him because he had to justify the money he spent on him? if so would di canio be still there if he hadn't played him?

all interesting things to think about in my opinion.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Almost everyone Sunderland signed this summer was picked by their director of football rather than Di Canio. I bet Jozy loving scores this weekend though

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

quote:

Sunderland plays like a bunch of neanderthals which goes hand in hand with the way English fans think the game should be played. Hopefully their new boss can actually get them to play a game of soccer not using tactics from the 1950's in which case Jozy will show his worth.

quote:

He needs to be like Dennis Rodman..Rodman would always box out and try to get himself in between the hoop and the defender, so when the rebound comes down, he has a better chance of getting it since he's already in front of the defenders......Jozy never tries to get in front of defenders when the ball is whipped or crossed low.

quote:

People having a go at Jozy right now are clowns... their are probably 5-10 MLS teams with better midfields than S'land. That's not a knock against the MLS either it's just ridiculously hard to score in the EPL and the players who do without a stud midfield are guys like Drogba, RVP, Suarez... and those guys are on another level of which Jozy isn't at... yet (hopefully it comes).

All true and cool stuff

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hegav posted:

All true and cool stuff

MLS teams having a better midfield than Sunderland is probably true though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
People having a go at Jozy right now are clowns

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Jozy needs some Özil

Jözil

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Shrapnac posted:

MLS teams having a better midfield than Sunderland is probably true though.

You say that But if you actually watch what S'land has been doing - Jozy is getting the ball from his teammates, or at least they are trying to get it to him (The ManU goal was from a pass to Jozy who was crashing far post that was underhit, cut out by the CD and then rebounded to S'land on the goal box line.)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Jozy does need to be more like Dennis Rodman. I bet he could score tons of goals in the North Korean league.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Real talk though, as poo poo as Jozy is, I bet with Ozïl's service, he could score goals.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Jozy needs to dye his hair green.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I agree that Arsenal Football Club should be forced to use Jozy as their striker.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I agree that Arsenal Football Club should be forced to use Jozy as their striker.

So you want Arsenal to win every match for the rest of the season? I'm glad you think so.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
Jozy needs to be more like Dennis Rodman, and kick Sky Sports cameramen hard in the bollocks

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Jozy needs to be more like a tree and leave the Barclays.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sunderland have made the worst ever start to the premier league. The team who hold the current record for worst points ever managed to get 4 of them against Newcastle. Sunderland play Newcastle next weekend. I think its a certainty that Jozy is going to score

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

It's impressive that Sunderland are three times worse than last season QPR

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Scott Bakula posted:

Sunderland have made the worst ever start to the premier league. The team who hold the current record for worst points ever managed to get 4 of them against Newcastle. Sunderland play Newcastle next weekend. I think its a certainty that Jozy is going to score

Sunderland will probably win that match and go on a 10 game streak of not winning.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Will Sunderland end the season with more points, or more Jozygoals?

Hint: The competition is already over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Is the Dennis Rodman guy essentially suggesting that Jozy should deliberately get himself into offside positions in order to become a better goalscorer

• Locked thread