Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Ooh, this just makes me want to hit Betray even harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

It seems like Sigma and the others could easily get the Axelavir off him if they ganged up on him or grabbed him while he wasn't paying attention. He needs to have his hands free to actually smash it after all. It would be risky, but not as risky as actually picking ally in the upcoming vote.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Eh, I say let's vote Ally, just to see what happens. :science:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CandyCrazy posted:

I didn't say anything, but this scene is why I was hoping we'd side with Dio this round instead of Tenmyouji, especially when people started thinking he might not be all that bad.

Crushing people's hopes is always fun. :allears:

Additionally, now I can post that image I have!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 20, 2013

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Oh, man, this moment. People have been saying so many ironic things leading up to this moment.

Spatula City posted:

I think people find it hard to betray likable characters like Luna and Tenmyougi. Now, if it were Dio or Quark, the decision would be MUCH easier.

I think this may be the most ironic statement so far. Sigma's life or Quark's... yep, that's an easy choice all right. Then again, in the context of the statement itself, maybe it is.

Ghostwoods posted:

I reckon we should give Mr.-Way-Too-Obviously-Punkish Dio a chance to knife us instead. Let's see the cut of his gib free from Quark The Hell Child!

Chance given. I hope you're happy with the result.

legendsuper posted:

I don't really see Dio as a prick. It just seems that the odds are never in his favor.

I believe he's currently holding all the vials, and he's still a prick.

Zoe posted:

And whew!, I sure am glad we found the cure! I admit I was getting a little worried there, but everything will be fine now and no one will die. :)

I take it back - THIS is the most ironic statement. Well, okay, I suppose Dio could be intending to choose Ally and nobody dies, but who thinks that's going to happen? I mean, he's obviously employing some level of deception, given that trick with the vial...

Changamer posted:

At this point in the game, it's impossible to tell who's lying. I'm gonna guess Quark, because Dio lying seems a bit too obvious.

legoman727 posted:

I love Dio in these scenes, and I don't know why. ...It's going to turn out that Dio was telling the truth about Quark in the first vote, isn't it?

Does anyone want to revise their opinions of Dio? Because when something's that obvious, there's the usual reason that someone's purposefully trying to misdirect you, but then there's the reason that it's just obvious because it's absolutely true.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Nidoking posted:

Chance given. I hope you're happy with the result.

Deliciously happy, thank you. :munch:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So, we have a chance to gently caress over both Dio AND Quark in the next vote? Deal!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Additionally, now I can post that image I have!

The only thing that would make this image even better is having the instrumental bits of "Take On Me" looping in the background.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I'm interested to see where the votes go next update, now that the choice isn't so one sided as "Ally with that nice girl Luna who never did you wrong, or betray her like an evil disgusting piece of poo poo."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The smart thing to do would be to run ahead and tell everyone he's got the axelevir. Sure, he says he'll smash it once you do but once the cat's out of the bag, the balance of power will shift and he'll only have two choices: fork it over or get his brains smashed in (and if he chooses to smash the vial out of spite, option 2 gets locked in).

Of course it's probably not going to come to that, is it? Dammit.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I wonder if it's even possible to get some sort of positive resolution out of this path now. There's no way in hell Dio is going to hit Ally, so either we choose Ally and get to see what happens when we die as a result, or choose Betray and see the fallout there.

Maybe Clover will avenge us after we bonded over terrible puns together. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

Maybe Clover will avenge us after we bonded over terrible puns together. :v:

And Sigma calling her stupid about a dozen times. :v:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I lied. THIS was the real reason this is my favorite room. You have been assuming that Dio couldn't possibly be as bad as he acts, then he decides to set you up in a situation where you could possibly die. So now you actually have a reason to betray someone instead of jut screwing them over. Of course, as people have picked up on, he never said that he was going to betray, so who knows what he is going to do.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And Sigma calling her stupid about a dozen times. :v:

She took it all in stride, as if she was used to hearing it for some reason. :v: Besides, Dio was worse than we were, in addition to the small issue of threatening to kill a child/possibly everyone if he leaves. I guess if not Clover, potentially everyone but Luna could avenge us instead. Especially looking forward to seeing how Ten reacts to what Dio is doing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

I lied. THIS was the real reason this is my favorite room. You have been assuming that Dio couldn't possibly be as bad as he acts, then he decides to set you up in a situation where you could possibly die. So now you actually have a reason to betray someone instead of jut screwing them over. Of course, as people have picked up on, he never said that he was going to betray, so who knows what he is going to do.

I love how Dio goes from "Stop joking around! There's a sick kid that needs our help!" to "I'm going to steal said sick kid's medicine and hold his life for ransom. :smug:"

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I'm pretty sure that he's gonna go ally and this was just getting us to confirm an ally-ally. On the other hand, I bet it's gonna be hilariously awkward if we betray and he allies. Or if we both betray. Or if we ally and he betrays. Whatever happens, the fallout is gonna be glorious. :getin:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Hey, Sigma promised he was going to ally. He didn't get Clover to promise.

All Sigma really needs to do is not go in the booth. Or just have someone strong keep Dio from entering the the voting booth, Sigma go in and ally.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Kgummy posted:

Hey, Sigma promised he was going to ally. He didn't get Clover to promise.

All Sigma really needs to do is not go in the booth. Or just have someone strong keep Dio from entering the the voting booth, Sigma go in and ally.
Do you really think Dio is going to care who hits Betray or Ally? He just wants 9BP plain and simple. If he doesn't get to 9BP by the end of the round then it's safe to assume he'll smash that bottle. And if Dio is kept from entering the booth, he'll probably just smash the bottle right there and then because he can easily assume Sigma told someone the truth about the medicine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Never mind, the guy after this had a point. I'll say it later.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 20, 2013

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Justin_Brett posted:

I didn't like this part when I got to it, since it's basically only giving you two possible choices for how to respond to this situation.

Hope you're not trying to say that the only options past this point are ally or betray, since saying that would in itself be a spoiler - don't forget that the game does have a dialog and choice system beyond just the AB room, we've made choices on at least which doors to go through (with more than 2 options, mind you) and potentially other choices that may or may not have been seen on the paths already explored (not going to reread the past thousands of posts to see if there's a more specific way to word the last part).

Actually, I just remembered the security room - a choice in a conversation that had nothing to do with the chromatic doors or AB room. Who's to say there won't be another choice coming up soon about how we should respond? Keep quiet, tell others, physically confront Dio, etc

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
pssssh, this is an easy choice. Dio is not good at the blackmail thing. As people have said, given the assumption that Dio cannot be trusted to keep his word at any point, choosing Ally would not guarantee Quark's safety, and would probably get Sigma killed and allow Dio to escape. If we betray Dio, he might still keep the medicine for protection. Because should he break it, Sigma will tell Tenmyougi what Dio did, and WELP.
This is a play that most people in the game would fall for, but Sigma should be smart enough to see the flaw. So when the time comes, I will vote Betray and so should everyone else. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nidoking posted:

Oh, man, this moment. People have been saying so many ironic things leading up to this moment.
Hey, is quoting every single person who said anything that turned out to be wrong and going 'neener neener neener' really fun or interesting for anyone? Legitimate question.

Anyway, I don't think Dio's going to pick 'betray', just because it'd be blatantly obvious to everyone involved that he killed Sigma. More than that, Clover would probably tell everyone about the Axelavir. Considering he killed one dude (who everyone was pretty cool with) and used a kid's life as leverage, he'd be well on his way to triple-killed city. Or at the very least, everyone would be keeping him on a ridiculous short leash. Like, tying him up and dragging him through the puzzle rooms. That short of a leash.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Oh, if only Axelavir was in a plastic bottle instead of a glass one, things would've been so much easier: the fastest way to destroy it would've required opening the cap, and that takes long enough to take it out of this Dio's hands.

Though now that I think about it, isn't liquid medicine always kept in glass containers? Does that have anything to do with sterile environments or something like that?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alopex posted:

I'm pretty sure that he's gonna go ally and this was just getting us to confirm an ally-ally.

Justify yourself.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

SingerOfW posted:

Though now that I think about it, isn't liquid medicine always kept in glass containers? Does that have anything to do with sterile environments or something like that?

Some medicines are kept in plastic bottles (many kid pain/antibiotic medicines and lots of medicines delivered by IV for example) but there are also plenty that can only be kept in glass (even some IV drugs). You can go into details like sterility, micro-pores or degradation of plastic, air penetration, and all kids of other reasons, but I think the most important one here is that it would make for a good plot device.

It's also worth pointing out that the safe gave a misleading size of scale - it's either been covered earlier or at latest will be covered very soon, but I'll go ahead and say it since the size isn't really supposed to really be a secret. The bottle itself is only a few cm tall at most - it's holding a couple dozen ml of medicine at most, not a couple hundred.

E:

Livingtrope posted:

Justify yourself.

Probably bad form to quote yourself, but my post was the last post before a new page on the default settings and plenty of people are probably just hitting last page.

Sentient Data posted:

(Ally-ally reasoning that I won't paste here since it's a couple paragraphs)

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 20, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If Dio really wanted to guarantee an ally-ally, he probably should have explained that? Surely it would be possible to squeeze in some of that reasoning even while doing his best villain laugh. As it is, all he's doing is justifying us betraying him. Any plan that revolves around Sigma (stupidly) sacrificing himself for a stranger is probably a bad one.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Endorph posted:

Hey, is quoting every single person who said anything that turned out to be wrong and going 'neener neener neener' really fun or interesting for anyone? Legitimate question.

I thought it was pretty funny and I've never played. It can be a long time between updates and I like seeing how speculation turns out.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Endorph posted:

I don't mind seeing the irony (assuming the people are genuine and not pretending not to know).

Nidoking should keep doing it, if you dislike it, just ignore him.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Endorph posted:

Not every single person - I'm actually only picking the most ironic (or prophetic) statements that greatly amused me at the time they were posted, and I can't very well draw attention to them until the thread reaches the point where the reason they're ironic has been made clear. I've even deleted a few without quoting them because they didn't seem as interesting at the time.

My intention really isn't to say that people shouldn't have said any of these things or that they're wrong for speculating. It's just amusing, and I wanted the people who haven't played the game before to enjoy the speculation as much as I did. It's not so much "neener neener" as "Hey, remember when you thought this? Those sure were some different times."

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Nidoking should keep doing it, if you dislike it, just ignore him.

And to chime in on the topic, I don't think it's a case of "neener-neener you were stupid". Quoting all the misleads and ironic things that people have thought isn't teasing those people, it's holding up the game itself in high regard for the insane number of twists and turns in its writing. I'm sure that every single person who has played the game before has had at least a dozen :wtf: moments, and the irony quoting is like a highlight reel of all the different emotions that the audience in general must be going through at that time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

You've really misinterpreted the tone of Nidoking's posts if you think what he's doing amounts to "neener neener".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fair enough then, I guess? To me it just comes across on the same level as the dudes who 'hint' at the twists or the people who 'speculate' when they're actually just spoiling the game, but whatever. It was just kind of annoying to see it after every single twist in the plot, but if other people like it then keep on keeping on, I suppose.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Except that's not the case because it's all after the fact, a key difference from your examples. It just saves people the hassle of combing through the thread themselves (and I'm pretty sure there are people who do that, judging from posts in other mystery-based LPs)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Endorph posted:

Anyway, I don't think Dio's going to pick 'betray', just because it'd be blatantly obvious to everyone involved that he killed Sigma. More than that, Clover would probably tell everyone about the Axelavir. Considering he killed one dude (who everyone was pretty cool with) and used a kid's life as leverage, he'd be well on his way to triple-killed city. Or at the very least, everyone would be keeping him on a ridiculous short leash. Like, tying him up and dragging him through the puzzle rooms. That short of a leash.

If he successfully betrays he escapes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

If he successfully betrays he escapes.
If he can get to the doors in time. It'd be one hell of an ironic fate to get your points only for K to clothesline you halfway there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

If he can get to the doors in time. It'd be one hell of an ironic fate to get your points only for K to clothesline you halfway there.

I hope everyone also remembers that K has 6 points, so whatever we decide might be moot anyway. Considering he's partnered with 1 BP Alice, the Betray is strong with this pair.

Think about it, if we Ally and K successfully betrays that means that Dio might have a big, armoured friend looming over him as he tries to escape.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 20, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I dunno, things might be different if the Axelavir cure gets revealed and smashed. K might just be the kind of guy to knock Dio into next week if he did that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I hope everyone also remembers that K has 6 points, so whatever we decide might be moot anyway.

Think about it, if we Ally and K successfully betrays that means that Dio might have a big, armoured friend looming over him as he tries to escape.

"You betrayed in the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker."

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Livingtrope posted:

Justify yourself.

Aside from what everyone else has said and the meta theory that a plain "you did it wrong and died the end" would be more anticlimactic than the alternatives? I could be entirely wrong, but like Phi, Dio's an rear end in a top hat but not necessarily a killer - which is what a betrayal at this point would turn him into. He pretty much has to be bluffing about smashing the bottle - Radical-6 has to be defended against via quarantine, which implies it's infectious, which further implies that without that Axelvir, everyone's going to get it including Dio himself. He's an rear end in a top hat and all, but he's pretty smart and obsessed with self-preservation. I don't think he's a big enough rear end in a top hat to kill everyone including himself out of plain spite.

This whole thing is vaguely reminiscent of that bargain between Phi, K, and Dio himself in the first playthrough, where Phi wanted to do an ally-ally bargain but didn't trust Dio enough to think he'd go through with it. Similarly, Dio's probably just figured out the optimum tit-for-tat strategy and thinks that since he betrayed last time, he'll never get anyone to ally with him. It won't get him enough points to exit this time, especially if Sigma betrays, but he'll at least get a reputation for choosing ally sometimes instead of choosing betray always.

Going to such backstabby lengths is probably counterintuitive when it comes to building trust, but on the other hand, Dio really really doesn't want to get kicked back down to 4. After all, if he does, it'll take him at least two more rounds through the AB room and that's two more rounds that make it more likely for someone else to get 9 and make a break for it. There's like, a snowball's chance in hell Sigma would go for it if he said he wanted to go for ally-ally, so he's got no choice but to be Dio about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ffguy
Apr 14, 2007
I'm a gopher.

Endorph posted:

He doesn't have to move quickly. Anyone makes a sudden movement towards him and he gets all smashy-smash with the medicine. Given the circumstances I doubt K would manhandle Dio. Even knowing that Dio opening the door and walking out is a death sentence I think the others would be too shocked to act quickly.

If he really wanted to ally-ally there are better ways than flimsy blackmail. He's a dick and just proved he isn't altruistic, why would we trust him to be satisfied with 8BP when 9 is within his reach?

Say we ally and so does Dio. Everyone lives but we know Dio is a blackmailing dick with 8BP. Whether he surrenders the medicine is up in the air.

Say we ally and Dio betrays. We die, Dio has 9BP and uses the medicine as leverage to make everyone else get away from the door as he walks out.

Say we betray and Dio allys. Nobody dies and nobody would really blame us except Dio and we get to tell everyone what a blackmailing dick he is. If he smashes the medicine he's a dead man, if he hands it over he just may survive.

Say we both betray. Nobody dies and we get to expose Dio for being a blackmailing dick. K wrecks his face and hopefully recovers the medicine intact. Again if he smashes it he's toast.

I'd be upset if Quark died but Dio isn't giving us a great set of choices here. We shouldn't be risking Sigma dying so Quark may live.

• Locked thread