Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The red fish is a red herring, it'll remove some runes from the puzzle.

The unsolvable puzzles are extremely frustrating I agree, it's especially painful before you get the research aids unlocked. It's usually better to abandon a project and start over than waste precious points fiddling with a potentially impossible puzzle.

Procedurally generated puzzles are pretty hard to do right. I'm getting the impression that this new research system, while being a step in the right direction, isn't 100% ideal as it stands. You're still going to end up chucking material into the rde-constructor to power through, so functionally it's not that much different to the old system.

Edit: de-constructor, me-constructor...

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ah, I figured something out that really helps. When there is a valid path but the connections aren't cooperating, you can force it into the right path by putting inactive runes in the way of the invalid paths.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

So, I step away from MC for a while. I come back today to check out how things are going. RP2 is dead, and the grate was something I used often, but I discover something call the flood gate. I head over to the BC github to see if it has been released. There near the top of the list is this: https://github.com/BuildCraft/BuildCraft/commit/f84baecaed049fbf35dc7cad0f0025b312d12ef3 and a bit later this: https://github.com/BuildCraft/BuildCraft/pull/1286

The drama never really stops does it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Blacktooth posted:

So, I step away from MC for a while. I come back today to check out how things are going. RP2 is dead, and the grate was something I used often, but I discover something call the flood gate. I head over to the BC github to see if it has been released. There near the top of the list is this: https://github.com/BuildCraft/BuildCraft/commit/f84baecaed049fbf35dc7cad0f0025b312d12ef3 and a bit later this: https://github.com/BuildCraft/BuildCraft/pull/1286

Looks fairly reasonable to me.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

McFrugal posted:

Nevermind me. I'm an idiot. It was a stupid readme file. The commit title threw me off.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
If you're using the Thaumcraft 4 Research Cheat Sheet to decide some research is impossible then they might not be because those research requirements are severely incomplete. A lot of them are missing one or more other aspect.

Edit: I also seem to be having a problem with the Technic Launcher where it says that it's loading but nothing ever loads and it won't let me launch any mod packs like this. No images or names load no matter how long I let it run. If I move up or down then mod pack images and backgrounds will suddenly appear but all the names will still say "Loading..." and packs still won't launch. I thought it was my network connection being a problem but it's been hours without any issues for anything else and it still won't work.

Edit2: After deleting the .technic folder to see if that would fix it it does the same except when I move the mod list up or down it all changes to "Add Pack" without any of the default packs being in the list and attempting to add a pack results in an error saying "Error parsing platform response".

Cerevisiae fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 20, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's not that, some research really is impossible.

You can get two identical research notes side by side, and have one fail and the other succeed using exactly same aspects.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Yeah some are impossible, but some are also easy enough that you don't need all aspects to finish it. Sometimes there's one extra resource you haven't found yet so it just looks impossible. Also as a warning that if you're lagging and try to move a rune twice it will get deleted.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Blacktooth posted:

How the gently caress? Do these people hold grudges?
When people talk about "the grudge" are people going to mention CJ and Sengir instead of a movie? or will the movie be based off of their grudge?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
If SirSengir and CovertJaguar keep acting up like this, I'm confident that a goon replacement for BC will eventually make this whole grudge pretty irrelevant.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

McFrugal posted:

It's not really, CJ is a gigantic manbaby and overreacts dramatically to the tiniest things.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Blacktooth posted:

In this particular case, I can't find myself disagreeing with their stance, merely the delivery. It would have been far better to just say "Hey, <insert code> is how to do what you want. Please don't hack it all just to achieve what you need."

That's not to say I'm a fan of the power overhaul which is the root of all of this, but ehh...I feel like there are too many people in the modding community that immediately jump to DEFCON status at the slightest affront.

In other news,

Getting there.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
He is, but "don't post about issues if you're using MFR on the bug report form, it changes the code I support." is a reasonable thing to say. Not the way he's saying it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

KingLemming posted:

In other news,

Getting there.

Woo, keep posting cool updates please. :allears:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Is that just a joke, or can it store containers that have items in them, somehow?

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

McFrugal posted:

Is that just a joke, or can it store containers that have items in them, somehow?

If you dismantle a Strongbox (sneak+wrench), it keeps its inventory. You can fit those Strongboxes inside other Strongboxes if you choose. It's easy enough to prevent, but since you have backpacks, bags, and whatever else, why bother.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

KingLemming posted:

If you dismantle a Strongbox (sneak+wrench), it keeps its inventory. You can fit those Strongboxes inside other Strongboxes if you choose. It's easy enough to prevent, but since you have backpacks, bags, and whatever else, why bother.
So they work like the alchemy bags from EE2 in that regard? I really miss that from the technic pack (circa 1.2.5) - you really didn't need an elaborate sorting system, just a bunch of alchemy bags. Is there anything similar now?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Well it's nice that the tekkit launcher got updated for 1.6, but there doesn't seem to be much 1.6 modpacks for it right now. How long until we see tekkit being updated for 1.6?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KingLemming posted:

In other news,

Getting there.
Oh, that's nice! I don't suppose "liquid fuels" includes liquid redstone, does it? (I had a weird idea the other day of a set of engines that used redstone itself as fuel.)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Well it's nice that the tekkit launcher got updated for 1.6, but there doesn't seem to be much 1.6 modpacks for it right now. How long until we see tekkit being updated for 1.6?

Probably shortly after TE updates, it's what most packs are waiting on.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Who cares if PC modifies code with a core mod? Modifying someone else's code is what modding is all about!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Who cares if PC modifies code with a core mod? Modifying someone else's code is what modding is all about!

Welcome to modding, where modding the developers work without permission is ok but they will bring out the torch and pitchfork if you even glance at their precious code funny.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

If I make a mod to add hats, and then bob makes a mod that adds thirty MORE hats but crashes every five goddamn minutes, I don't want to have to troubleshoot bob's goddamn lovely hat double mod.

Which is reasonable, but soon both I and Bob have a hat mod and a forum community of hat enthusist minecraft followers who get into arguments about the one true hat and jump on each other for trying to run both.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
That's an accurate summary of this situation, but to be fair, you should stop taking potshots at Bob and his mod at every step and your community probably wouldn't follow your example and be so terrible, and you'd stop looking like such a poo poo as well.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

That's an accurate summary of this situation, but to be fair, you should stop taking potshots at Bob and his mod at every step and your community probably wouldn't follow your example and be so terrible, and you'd stop looking like such a poo poo as well.

But then how would anyone know how bad at coding Bob is? (And by the transitive property how great I am?)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

chippocrates posted:

So they work like the alchemy bags from EE2 in that regard? I really miss that from the technic pack (circa 1.2.5) - you really didn't need an elaborate sorting system, just a bunch of alchemy bags. Is there anything similar now?

Yeah, you can do basically the same thing with a combination of Ender Storage and Backpacks mods. Ender Storage has Ender Pouches that are persistent like Alchemy Bags but they are small. You can get over this limitation by filling them with Large Backpacks. You can have all of your stuff with you at all times with enough nested backpacks :v: If you die all you need to do is craft one Ender Pouch (I usually go with WWW) to recover it:

Backpacks
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1492661-15x-16x-backpacks-v-11817/

Ender Storage
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/909223-164-smp-chickenbones-mods/

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, you can do basically the same thing with a combination of Ender Storage and Backpacks mods. Ender Storage has Ender Pouches that are persistent like Alchemy Bags but they are small. You can get over this limitation by filling them with Large Backpacks. You can have all of your stuff with you at all times with enough nested backpacks :v: If you die all you need to do is craft one Ender Pouch (I usually go with WWW) to recover it:

Backpacks
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1492661-15x-16x-backpacks-v-11817/

Ender Storage
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/909223-164-smp-chickenbones-mods/

Ender Storage is an amazing mod with so many potential uses considering it adds only three item. It only adds a tank, a pouch and a chest. You can program the "frequency" of the tank or chest with some dye as they have three pieces of white cloth on top that you can dye independently. So it's easy to change the frequency or read the frequency of a tank or chest at a glance. All tanks or chests/pouches of the same frequency basically have the same inventory, it's basically you have an interface to a "global" chest/pouch or tank. The best thing is that the inventories are stored independently of the items using them. So if all White/Red/Blue chests are destroyed or reprogrammed, if in fact ALL ender chests on the server are destroyed, the inventory in the white/red/blue "frequency" is still safe, waiting for you to make a fresh chest or pouch to access it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Ender Storage is an amazing mod with so many potential uses considering it adds only three item. It only adds a tank, a pouch and a chest. You can program the "frequency" of the tank or chest with some dye as they have three pieces of white cloth on top that you can dye independently. So it's easy to change the frequency or read the frequency of a tank or chest at a glance. All tanks or chests/pouches of the same frequency basically have the same inventory, it's basically you have an interface to a "global" chest/pouch or tank. The best thing is that the inventories are stored independently of the items using them. So if all White/Red/Blue chests are destroyed or reprogrammed, if in fact ALL ender chests on the server are destroyed, the inventory in the white/red/blue "frequency" is still safe, waiting for you to make a fresh chest or pouch to access it.

Chickenbones is an amazingly good developer, all his mods are deceivingly simple for how powerful they are.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mystic Mongol posted:

If I make a mod to add hats, and then bob makes a mod that adds thirty MORE hats but crashes every five goddamn minutes, I don't want to have to troubleshoot bob's goddamn lovely hat double mod.

Which is reasonable, but soon both I and Bob have a hat mod and a forum community of hat enthusist minecraft followers who get into arguments about the one true hat and jump on each other for trying to run both.

That's fine. Saying "I won't trouble shoot what his mod does, you're on your own." Is a reasonable thing to say. Saying reports will be banned and acting like a child is just dumb. It's not like it takes much effort to say "Sorry man, you got another mod that's the problem, not mine, go talk to them."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alkydere posted:

if in fact ALL ender chests on the server are destroyed, the inventory in the white/red/blue "frequency" is still safe, waiting for you to make a fresh chest or pouch to access it.

By the rules of extra dimensional storage putting an Ender Pouch into a backpack or the other way around should create an explosion that sends the player to a randomly generated Mystcraft age. I guess it's too much to expect that kind of cross mod compatibility.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Is there a config anywhere that will let you add biomes o plenty to regular tekkit? Been playing around with some of these knock off moonquest packs but they're all really unoptimised and don't have consolidated recipies or ores. I just want cherry blossoms in tekkit :ohdear:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

You could just drop the biomes o' plenty jar file into the mods folder of your Tekkit install, but just know that you'll have to add it back every time Tekkit updates.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Forge is an API designed to increase interoperability and compatibility between mods, arbitrarily overriding other people's code defeats the entire purpose and makes debugging a huge loving nightmare for everyone else.

Whatever other drama is going on (frankly don't give a poo poo), from an engineering standpoint it's just really bad practice.

You'd think this would be the one thing that modders could sit down and agree not to do. But no. Because Minecraft makes them all special snowflakes apparently.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

SamDabbers posted:

You could just drop the biomes o' plenty jar file into the mods folder of your Tekkit install, but just know that you'll have to add it back every time Tekkit updates.

Are you sure? I tried this last week maybe and it just started spitting up errors.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Are you sure? I tried this last week maybe and it just started spitting up errors.

Some errors are easily fixable in config files. Can you pastebin them?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I realise I was painting with an incredibly broad brush in my last comment, and that was dumb.

Mod communities in general do make me scratch my head in wonder sometimes though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

tooterfish posted:

Forge is an API designed to increase interoperability and compatibility between mods, arbitrarily overriding other people's code defeats the entire purpose and makes debugging a huge loving nightmare for everyone else.

Whatever other drama is going on (frankly don't give a poo poo), from an engineering standpoint it's just really bad practice.

You'd think this would be the one thing that modders could sit down and agree not to do. But no. Because Minecraft makes them all special snowflakes apparently.

Bad practice doesn't mean you get to yell like a manchild about certain people being banned like you're a 2 year old.

Besides, we're talking about power crystals' mod. If he had a reason to modify someones code with a core mod, it was to clean up their poo poo.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bad practice doesn't mean you get to yell like a manchild about certain people being banned like you're a 2 year old.

Besides, we're talking about power crystals' mod. If he had a reason to modify someones code with a core mod, it was to clean up their poo poo.

It wasn't PC, he's MIA, someone named skyboy - who apparently contributed to MFR in the past - is maintaining it currently.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Granted, manchilds abound. That doesn't turn bad practices into good ones.

It's their poo poo to clean up, not anyone elses. Taken in isolation I'd agree it's not that big a deal (ego aside, I mean it is a pretty calculated insult!). But you have to assume Forge mods are going to be used together (otherwise what's the point?), modifying code like that has the potential to cause all kinds of dependency issues for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Quick bug heads up on the Toast modpack: making a + of iron ingots in a crafting table causes a crash. I suspect it's due to multiple items having the same recipe. It can be worked around if you have something with an iron ingot + in the middle if you put other materials and it doesn't degrade/corrupt the world/game at all but it is rather annoying.

• Locked thread