Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

saulwright posted:

Jacob's Latter

Is this the sequel to Jacob's Former?

I kid. Jacob's Ladder is interesting because I think genre fans nowadays are probably more familiar with the things Jacob's Ladder directly influenced (Silent Hill, House on Haunted Hill remake) than with Jacob's Ladder itself. I saw it pretty young and that dance scene with Elizabeth Pena hosed me up.

I also feel like the timing was perfect for it to be a movie just as much about Gulf War syndrome as about Vietnam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Oh, that's one I've never seen. I shall correct that tonight.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

Let's be clear, it's still a pretty friggin goofy movie.

Absolutely, but it's not "let's put a Three Stooges reference here" kind of goofy.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I got my Scream Factory release of Psycho 2 on blu ray the other day and got a chance to watch it last night. Hadn't seen it in years and was expected to be a bit let down, but it's baffling how genuinely good that film is. Like...it doesn't make sense. It should be a pile of trash and it just isn't.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Glamorama26 posted:

I got my Scream Factory release of Psycho 2 on blu ray the other day and got a chance to watch it last night. Hadn't seen it in years and was expected to be a bit let down, but it's baffling how genuinely good that film is. Like...it doesn't make sense. It should be a pile of trash and it just isn't.

The twist at the ending is fantastic, where the protagonist is portrayed as the killer by the media when she isn't (sorry if that's vague; I haven't seen it in almost a decade). Just great. I never saw it coming, either, it just... happened.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

The twist at the ending is fantastic, where the protagonist is portrayed as the killer by the media when she isn't (sorry if that's vague; I haven't seen it in almost a decade). Just great. I never saw it coming, either, it just... happened.

Psycho II is a rarity in that it ends on, like, a triple twist ending and yet it doesn't at all suck.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
The plot being so coherent despite it doing some gymnastics to get to its' endgame is a miracle Also, Bates just loving waffles Spool with that shovel at the end and it's hilariously brutal. The movie totally gets to have its' cake and eat it too. You get your big Norman kill, while also making him incredibly sympathetic throughout the film.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 21, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Might wanna fix those spoiler tags there, that's a big one.

But yeah, Psycho II has such a tight script. It's funny that people always trot out the title in conversations about the worst of the sequel-mad '80s when really it's one of the best examples of the form.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Psycho III and IV are really good as well, when they have no right to be.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Psycho II-IV are all pretty solid movies in their own right, but you kind of feel guilty for watching and liking them since they're basically unauthorized follow-ups to a classic Hitchcock film. It'd be like if a bunch of screenwriters/directors made sequels to the Shining, and they all turned out to actually be decent.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I'm not mad about Psycho 4 but I do like 2 and 3. The Psycho remake had to be the most pointless remake ever made, shot for shot, no changes (or extreamly minor ones), really what was the point? I have Bates Motel season 1 on blu ray and have yet to watch it. I seem to recall another attempt to do the same thing in the 80s with the same title.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Slasherfan posted:

The Psycho remake had to be the most pointless remake ever made, shot for shot, no changes (or extreamly minor ones), really what was the point?

They had to get rid of any semblance of subtlety. Norman watching a girl change? Better have him jerk off so the audience knows he's turned on. Girl murdered in the shower? Let's be sure to show her spread eagle over the ledge of the bath.

Honestly, the best part of that movie is that everyone is dressed in 90s garb, except William H Macy who was still dressed like a 60s private eye.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I liked the cow in the Psycho remake.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

I also caught The Battery and it's already one of my favourites of the year. Brilliant soundtrack and a really tight story with great chemistry between the leads. It basically gives the Resolution treatment to Walking Dead or The Road.

Sold. I loved Resolution's character-building.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rapdawg posted:

That was my biggest problem with the film as well, which made for an entertaining film but not one that was particularly fantastic. Female reporter also made no sense as if there was a cover up it should have ended with her escaping before getting a bullet to the head sent priority mail from The Establishment..

And they had Kristen Connolly, why the hell they didn't give her the lead I'll never know.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I really like the first five Puppet Master movies to the point where I can't even tell if they're any good or if I'm entirely blinded by nostalgia from watching them as a kid.

Although back then my favorite was the third one because nazis and nudity, but now I'm most fond of the first because of the Agatha Christie vibe and disgruntled psychics. My enjoyment of the forth one remains constant, having always appreciated the demon antagonists and puppet whose face hilariously morphs into Toulon.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

The older Puppet Master movies were awesome. Tons of those Full Moon movies from the 80s and early 90s were amazing stuff. Dollman vs Demonic Toys is a work of art.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I've been reading The Disaster Artist (the book about Tommy Wiseau and the creation of The Room), and Greg Sestero (Mark) talks about his experiences in getting cast in the Puppet Master prequel as a starving actor, and now I need to watch it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Darko posted:

I've been reading The Disaster Artist (the book about Tommy Wiseau and the creation of The Room), and Greg Sestero (Mark) talks about his experiences in getting cast in the Puppet Master prequel as a starving actor, and now I need to watch it.
I really need to read this loving book already. The Room is one of my top 10 favorite movies. Hell, I've met Tommy and Greg before. (Tommy's just as weird in person as you might think.) I was waiting for the book to come out so long, and now that it's finally out, I feel bad for not having read it yet :negative:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They made full sized dolls of most of the puppets at one point.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just watched Lord of Illusions and In the Mouth of Madness again last night.

First up, Lord of Illusions. I watched the Director's cut with the added footage, and I really liked this movie but to be honest it needed to be almost an hour longer in my opinion because there was so much more I wanted to know. Like how Nix got his power, how Swann met Nix, the backstory of D'More and the exorcism, etc. The movie had the feel of a rich universe with a ton of stories that we never got to dig into. Also, I liked how everyone in the movie ignored how absolutely loving creepy it was that Swann fell in love with the kid he saved and then married her. I'd like to see Barker do more movies, because his take on the horror behind sexuality in Hellraiser and in glimpses of Lord of Illusions is very unique and not something that is often represented.

In the Mouth of Madness. This is one of those films that had the chance to be brilliant, a goddamn icon of a horror movie, and was clearly neutered for a wide release. Sam Neil does a great job again, the terror of lack of personal choice was well represented, but then come the effects. The movie is at it's most terrifying when nothing truly scary is shown on the screen. To me the creepiest moments were the kid on the bike, the painting, the one dude killing himself, etc. It degenerates into a laughable parody of itself anytime the "creatures" come on screen. If you're going to do Lovecraftian creatures, you better drat side have the budget and talent to do them right, because if not, holy poo poo if you gently caress up even a little it's going to show. And dear god did it show. If I could have a time machine where I could abduct the special effects crew from The Thing and force them to work on this movie, I think it would be a classic. As it was, not so much.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The creature effects in In The Mouth of Madness are exactly what they should be. Remember, ITMoM isn't trying to depict unknowable Lovecraftian terrors; it's depicting a lovely dadfiction hack writer's idea of unknowable Lovecraftian terrors.

The "scary" idea the movie wants you to consider is "what if Stephen King were god?"

EDIT: The only thing I would change in that movie is I would make Sam Neill's character Sutter Cain's editor or literary agent instead of just some random shmuck hired to locate him.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 22, 2013

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior
Lord of Illusions and In the Mouth of Madness are 2 of my favorite movies by a long shot and I've watched them both dozens of times. I get what you're saying in both cases to a point. I really wish there would have been a sequel to Lord of Illusions that would delve more into D'Amore's back story as he's one of the more interesting characters in a major horror movie that I can think of off hand. The world needs more Noir Horror. At the same time I don't think that they really needed to flesh out anything more than they did. It was sort of just established that he is gravitated toward certain types of cases and that somebody died in an exorcism. Swan found Nix like all the other cultists found him I suppose, people looking for power or proof of some kind of real magic. The thing I don't like is that some of the effects were kind of bad, but more acceptable for the time. Someone juggling fire would still look bad in 90% of even large budget films today.

In the Mouth of Madness had totally acceptable movie monster stuff for the 90's. I'm glad Carpenter spent the $8 million he had on other stuff than some creature costumes that are only actually on screen for less than a minute. I would have rather they not focus in on the faces of the creatures though because that is when they looked cheesy. Alternatively, when they're seen as a whole running behind John Trent, they're a blurry mess of limbs due to the number of creatures which gives them a more alien appearance. Sort of like a bunch of bugs crawling all over each other, which is more scary + more fitting to the whole Lovecraftian feel. "The army of unspeakable figures" is how they are described in the Sutter Cain book that the editor lady was reading.

Anyways, I'm probably just defending movies I like.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nimrod's Son posted:

In the Mouth of Madness had totally acceptable movie monster stuff for the 90's. I'm glad Carpenter spent the $8 million he had on other stuff than some creature costumes that are only actually on screen for less than a minute. I would have rather they not focus in on the faces of the creatures though because that is when they looked cheesy.

The irony is that Carpenter had previously said exactly the same thing about The Fog. The one shot in which a leper ghost is clearly seen was added at the insistence of the studio.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Darko posted:

Even though Sestero claims he can do a French accent in the book from being raised by a French mother from what I remember it's still a really, really bad accent.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Saw a movie last night called Solo that had some good ideas but was really held down by being yet another 'camp counselor gets terrorized in the woods' effort. Nothing about it stands out as glaringly bad or terribly good, just left kind of feeling 'yeah, that happened' which is unfortunate. There's a good group of actors here but the story is a little too thin and really, not nearly enough happens to make it worth recommending.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2374196/

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nimrod's Son posted:

Lord of Illusions and In the Mouth of Madness are 2 of my favorite movies by a long shot and I've watched them both dozens of times. I get what you're saying in both cases to a point. I really wish there would have been a sequel to Lord of Illusions that would delve more into D'Amore's back story as he's one of the more interesting characters in a major horror movie that I can think of off hand.

He's in several Clive Barker novels, and, if it's ever released, will be facing off against Pinhead in his final approach on the Hellraiser saga (novels).

Nimrod's Son
Aug 12, 2003
Wasted Warrior
Yeah, I know he has a small part in The Great and Secret Show and is a main character in Everville. I have both of them and am well over halfway through the first one and he's not been mentioned yet. But holy gently caress would it make a great HBO series. I'm trying to get through them before the Scarlet Gospels comes out (It's apparently finished and looking for publishers).

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but it looks like the 'Cabal Cut' of Nightbreed is finally getting released which is an extended/ director's cut that focuses more on the monsters, but as of October they haven't even really begun the process of cleaning it up according to Scream Factory. In addition they somehow aren't likely to get the rights to the theatrical cut to include in the DVD release. http://www.clivebarker.info/morenightbreed.html

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

hypersleep posted:

Tons of those Full Moon movies from the 80s and early 90s were amazing stuff.

I have a weird soft spot for the Subspecies series and own a few of them on VHS.

Also you guys have talked me into watching Psycho II.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

I have a weird soft spot for the Subspecies series and own a few of them on VHS.

I watched Subspecies on T.V. when I was like 8 years old and it really effected me for some reason. That Radu guy was really scary to me back then, not sure why. When I was in my early 20's I had to do some research to figure out the name of the movie, I had forgotten everything about it except for Radu, he lives on in my nightmares the creepy gently caress.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
Hello my dear, favorite thread. I have a smattering of things to discuss.

My wife and I watched The Conjuring and I enjoyed it a good bit. I was raised Catholic so while I know on the surface that nothing probably happened it tingles the same sensation in me that a good UFO story or Bigfoot story does; I want to believe. I was quite impressed with Vera Farmiga, has anyone watched her Bates Motel? Is it worth checking out?

Got to thinking about some movies I watched when I was a little kid when they would air Universal or Hammer films on a Saturday afternoon and I had a fear/obsession with Dracula. I finally figured out the one film I never knew the title of, having only remembered little fragments and images where Dracula's cape flies away like a kite over the sea: Dracula (1979) starring Frank Langella. Anyone seen this in the last 25 years or so? It's probably awful.

Similarly, I have vague memories of a film from the same era where a woman is a vampire and it starts off, I think, on a plane? And she bites someone ... and then some brief imagery of some cobblestone streets. It was pretty atmospheric, but modern. I think the woman was supposed to be a descendent of Dracula or something. If someone has any clue what this is, I would love you for it.

Unrelated: I caught most of Halloween II on AMC last night and holy poo poo is that movie bad.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

This thread or the General Chat talked me into Psycho 2 a while ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Psycho 2 is nothing at all like you might expect. Just go into it blind and enjoy.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

InfiniteZero posted:

Obsurious Lupa did some great reviews of the Supspecies movies.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/ol/olp/34079-subspecies

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

epoch. posted:

Unrelated: I caught most of Halloween II on AMC last night and holy poo poo is that movie bad.

Have you seen all of the sequels? If so I'd be curious the order that you'd rate them since I really like Halloween II but not really anything that came after it.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Have you seen all of the sequels? If so I'd be curious the order that you'd rate them since I really like Halloween II but not really anything that came after it.

Was the the original Halloween 2 or Rob Zombies Halloween 2?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slasherfan posted:

Was the the original Halloween 2 or Rob Zombies Halloween 2?

I'm pretty sure AMC would have been showing the original but I guess that could be a bad assumption.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
It was the original Halloween II. I guess I shouldn't say "that movie was bad" but "things in that movie were really dumb." The hot-tub murder scene, in particular. He can boil her face off but it doesn't affect his hands? Loomis's interaction with the cop who was essentially asleep during the scene. It just felt so lazy.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

epoch. posted:

It was the original Halloween II. I guess I shouldn't say "that movie was bad" but "things in that movie were really dumb." The hot-tub murder scene, in particular. He can boil her face off but it doesn't affect his hands? Loomis's interaction with the cop who was essentially asleep during the scene. It just felt so lazy.

"He's basically indestructible, just go with it" isn't good enough for the hot tub scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The thing I like about Halloween 2 is that it establishes pretty early that he's there to kill Laurie, seems to know where she is, yet is just wandering around killing people for no real reason. It also looks unusually good for a cash-in sequel.The other thing, of course, is the Death of Ben Tramer.