Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Gravity blade? Oh hey it's the sword from Blame! :haw:

I can't wait for it to turn out that the sword somehow horribly maims the wielder so only a fast-regenerating immortal can use it. This manga is pretty brutal.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Sindai posted:

Gravity blade? Oh hey it's the sword from Blame! :haw:

I can't wait for it to turn out that the sword somehow horribly maims the wielder so only a fast-regenerating immortal can use it. This manga is pretty brutal.

That was my first thought as well.

A weapon with recoil that'll blast apart the user's arm and possibly burn away a large percentage of their flesh? Pretty much perfect for our immortal protagonist. Though to be fair, the sword from Noise didn't really seem to have that problem.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Silento posted:

Well, at least we got two chapters this week even if there isn't one for next week.

I wonder why they're calling Al an evil mage... I guess someone might have moved in after him? Maybe Eva? Or maybe Eva was just spreading lies about him, it would be totally in character. Al is probably still around even now, because I believe he said he's older than Eva. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. It's been a few months since I read through Negima, so my memory is a little faded on some parts.

If all the information about Al comes from Eva, there's no way he wouldn't be painted as an evil mage with the way the two of them got along. He does seem to indicate that he's older that he appears during the final fight, so I wouldn't doubt that he's still around. My guess is that he's off in Mundus Magicus. I recall him saying that he was stuck under Library Island, so if he got unstuck he might not need to hang around. Or gently caress it, this guy is actually Al using his artifact to gently caress with the kids. :v:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Silento posted:

Well, at least we got two chapters this week even if there isn't one for next week.

I wonder why they're calling Al an evil mage... I guess someone might have moved in after him? Maybe Eva? Or maybe Eva was just spreading lies about him, it would be totally in character. Al is probably still around even now, because I believe he said he's older than Eva. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. It's been a few months since I read through Negima, so my memory is a little faded on some parts.

It's revenge for the Kitty incident. Eva is good at grudges.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
I started reading Negima since this looks good, and I may as well get all of the back story. Slogging through Harry Potter sneezing the clothing off of women is going to be a chore though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

greatBigJerk posted:

I started reading Negima since this looks good, and I may as well get all of the back story. Slogging through Harry Potter sneezing the clothing off of women is going to be a chore though.

Honestly the only back story you need thus far (and maybe even for the rest of the series) is that Eva is great and there is magic. But you should read Negima anyway because it is awesome. Around volume 4 or 5 is where it starts turning into the action series Akamatsu apparently actually wanted to make, and it only gets better from there, so hang in there.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Negima is the greatest shounen battle manga I have ever read. And Akamatsu creates shitloads of awesome characters as the story goes on, it's so much fun to read.

Sorry for gushing, I'm a huge fan of Negima. I really need to go out and pick up every volume so I can read the glossary thing in the back, the bits that are in scans are really cool.

BigJerk, do you mind posting your thoughts as you read through it? It's quite a ride!

Edit: Negima > One Piece, although it can get pretty close. :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Negima had a pretty good peak, but let's not kid ourselves with how bad the first ~70 chapters are (gonna throw the ending in that group too). To say nothing of the various missteps thanks to the Love Hina fanservice coming back to remind people that Akamatsu hadn't gotten all of it out of his system yet (E: or ever will).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 22, 2013

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Read Love Hina and you'll see where the first chapters of Negima come from. Once you get to Kyoto, all poo poo breaks loose and it's a completely different manga. To the point where when the sneezing gag comes back, it seems painfully out of place. Negima is a fantastic shounen manga that disguises itself as a harem manga for a while. As someone who started reading Negima because I really liked Love Hina, it turned out to be a fantastic ride.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah, Negima turned out to be a great series, but it took me 3 or four tries and constant prodding from my friends before I got over that initial hump.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Basically Love Hina was hugely popular, but the author wanted to do something more action oriented. His editors however wanted more of the same. So Negima was forced to start a bit more like Love Hina and less like say UQ Holder. Negima got better, but never entirely shed the Love Hina roots.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What had always always turned me off from Ken Akamatsu's works was his really generic sort of plasticky anime style, where everyone has cylindrical barbie-doll limbs and really flat-looking faces. His layouts all through Love Hina and the beginning of Negima were also really crowded and oversaturated with detail, and just somewhat unpleasant to look at. I'm pleasantly surprised that by UQ Holder, his art has evolved a great deal and looks quite decent, and the layouts got a lot clearer.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

What had always always turned me off from Ken Akamatsu's works was his really generic sort of plasticky anime style, where everyone has cylindrical barbie-doll limbs and really flat-looking faces. His layouts all through Love Hina and the beginning of Negima were also really crowded and oversaturated with detail, and just somewhat unpleasant to look at. I'm pleasantly surprised that by UQ Holder, his art has evolved a great deal and looks quite decent, and the layouts got a lot clearer.

More than many other manga-ka, he's definitely shown growth in his work as an artist. Whether it's because of a good editor or actually trying to work his craft, the growth is visible. I almost feel like his layout was clunkier because he was afraid there wasn't much going on during dialogue but he's very much improved in that respect.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DrSunshine posted:

Sometimes the crowding worked, though. Negi's first look at the morning rush to Mahora was awesome.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

Sometimes the crowding worked, though. Negi's first look at the morning rush to Mahora was awesome.

It definitely had it's moments like that, but it was also hard to look at at times. UQ is definitely a step up in the art and design departments.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Silento posted:

Negima is the greatest shounen battle manga I have ever read. And Akamatsu creates shitloads of awesome characters as the story goes on, it's so much fun to read.

Sorry for gushing, I'm a huge fan of Negima. I really need to go out and pick up every volume so I can read the glossary thing in the back, the bits that are in scans are really cool.

BigJerk, do you mind posting your thoughts as you read through it? It's quite a ride!

Edit: Negima > One Piece, although it can get pretty close. :)
I think I've gotten over the worst of it. I'm starting on volume 4 now, and there's actually a plot and pretty good action! It's pretty amazing that it took such a change from the second chapter in volume 3 onward. The fanservice is still super blatant and obnoxious though. It does mostly drop it soon, right?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

greatBigJerk posted:

I think I've gotten over the worst of it. I'm starting on volume 4 now, and there's actually a plot and pretty good action! It's pretty amazing that it took such a change from the second chapter in volume 3 onward. The fanservice is still super blatant and obnoxious though. It does mostly drop it soon, right?

While a bit still remains, you're over the worst of it. Kyoto should be starting up soon and that changes everything.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

I actually just recently started reading up UQ Holder, it feels a little different from his previous works. I wonder if there are any other characters that will actually crossover from Negima, but then again, consider the timeline is so far into the future, who knows.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Negima is roughly half shounen fighting manga and half creepy harem manga. The latter aspect is much more prevalent in the beginning, but it never goes away entirely. Just when you think that it is going to be all explosions and Jack Rakan, they go back to the harem poo poo and then underage girls lose their clothes.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
And then someone walks in on Jack Rakan naked and is scarred for life. Yeah even at its best Negima still has fanservice.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I hope Jack Rakan WILLPOWER himself to become immortal and make an appearance here. I missed him so much. :(

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Nyaa posted:

I hope Jack Rakan WILLPOWER himself to become immortal and make an appearance here. I missed him so much. :(

Even if he didn't, he should still be alive as long as he wasn't killed. His race is more long-lived than humans.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ChronoReverse posted:

Even if he didn't, he should still be alive as long as he wasn't killed. His race is more long-lived than humans.

I don't think Jack would die even if you killed him :colbert:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

PerrineClostermann posted:

We all know the results if you tried.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spoilering for the sake of the the guy in this thread who is currently reading Negima for the first time:

Fate did manage to kill Rakan, if you recall.

But then Rakan simply willed himself back to life again. :black101:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Spoilering for the sake of the the guy in this thread who is currently reading Negima for the first time:

Fate did manage to kill Rakan, if you recall.

But then Rakan simply willed himself back to life again. :black101:

I don't think "killed" is the right word. Rakan was winning the fight handily until Fate pulled out the deus ex machina (not that it was bad, but that's literally what it was). Even if Fate had went all-out I doubt he could have killed Rakan. Fate quite literally wrote Rakan out of existence. And Rakan (with Asuna's help) wrote himself back in. Who's better than Rakan? No one, that's who! :c00l:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

He's the human atomic bomb. The only way he'd die in a fight is if he killed himself exploding from sheer force of awesome.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Chapter 10 is up. That old guy completely destroyed the lookout area, holy poo poo. Also Karin is kind of acting like Chachamaru's replacement.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Odd, I don't see it at the usual places.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's on Crunchyroll now.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
drat. Where am I going to read this now if crunchyroll doesn't have license to distribute it in Finland and the scanlators have to drop it since it's licensed?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Spats? Well, it's classier than a panty shot, I suppose. Though not by much, the way that was drawn.

Also, nice job with the sword. No one can pull it out! Except I just did. I'm kind of liking the generic "DBZ" vibe from this sword. It's like training at x times gravity! That shows you're strong!

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 6, 2013

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Man, Crunchyroll's reader blows. Why do I have to scroll around in a tiny reading pane and re-zoom every page? :sigh:

I'm actually kind of surprised that they spent a month doing a training montage. It seemed like Touta was dead-set on getting out as soon as possible to pursue his poorly-defined dream, so I was fully expecting him to find a way to cheat his way into enough power to get his arm back and get out faster.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

blastron posted:

Man, Crunchyroll's reader blows. Why do I have to scroll around in a tiny reading pane and re-zoom every page? :sigh:

I'm actually kind of surprised that they spent a month doing a training montage. It seemed like Touta was dead-set on getting out as soon as possible to pursue his poorly-defined dream, so I was fully expecting him to find a way to cheat his way into enough power to get his arm back and get out faster.

Go full-screen (click the bottom right icon). It looks great on my widescreen monitor.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

blastron posted:

Man, Crunchyroll's reader blows. Why do I have to scroll around in a tiny reading pane and re-zoom every page?

I hope that this is setting a pattern that will largely be followed as we continue. They're immortal, there's no need to cling to normal shounen time scales.

:kakashi: : "It took four centuries for my master to drill this technique into my brain."
:ssj:: "THREE DECADES. I SHALL MASTER THIS TECHNIQUE IN JUST THREE DECADES."

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Immortals just give no fucks, do they?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Part of me wants to believe this is going to end up to some degree as Akamatsu mocking the major shounen series that move at a snail's pace. 5 minutes taking 100 chapters? How about 100 years taking 5 chapters (if we ever get to that point)? Yeah I know it will slow down once we get more action, but it's still amusing to me that a one month training arc would take at least a month in basically any other series, but here it takes about 3 pages.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

chumbler posted:

Part of me wants to believe this is going to end up to some degree as Akamatsu mocking the major shounen series that move at a snail's pace. 5 minutes taking 100 chapters? How about 100 years taking 5 chapters (if we ever get to that point)? Yeah I know it will slow down once we get more action, but it's still amusing to me that a one month training arc would take at least a month in basically any other series, but here it takes about 3 pages.

Haha, I'm really hoping that this turns out to be the case.

I also wonder if we'll end up meeting Chao in this timeline. Could be pretty fun.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Wow, Crunchyroll's web reader is terrible.

It's hilarious that Eva simply forgot about Jinbei.

The gravity sword is cool, I wonder what kind of cool tricks Touta will do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Silento posted:

Wow, Crunchyroll's web reader is terrible.

It's hilarious that Eva simply forgot about Jinbei.

The gravity sword is cool, I wonder what kind of cool tricks Touta will do with it?

Manipulate gravity :colbert:

More seriously, does the gravity thing change its mass? Or just the downward pull of gravity?

• Locked thread