Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah we used to have a lot of awesome recipe threads. I remember carbonara, in particular. We're trying to get some participation back with Cook or Die, fried chicken had a good turnout. Aren't we overdue for ICSA/NICSA? Whose turn is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ Cook or die looks great, but I don't want to commit to something that I absolutely have to do or face the consequences(!!). But then that's half the fun. And fried chicken looked fantastic.

mediaphage posted:

That would be true if you used the regular Gardein things like the beef tips or patties, but the crumbles hold up perfectly well in chilis and stews - I had some last night for dinner. They're really nice.

Huh. Last time I tried it, it was just goo. I'll give it another try. It's always good to know the TVP stuff that actually tastes okay and what it does well in.

quote:

I used to be like this until I switched to doing all my pie doughs in the food processor. Brilliant, flaky results and it takes a max of ten minutes from start to baking, discounting resting for a couple of hours in the fridge (which is why I always make a double batch and freeze half of it).

Maybe that's my problem. I need an adult food processor instead of the cup and a half $10.99 walmart version I have. Is there a good brand that can deal with getting beat up in moving pretty well? This is the same reason I don't have a stand mixer.

contrapants posted:

American Pie style? :raise:

Commas aren't my friend today either.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I did a ragu thread that I think was pretty successful. Casu had a few awesome threads, too. mandoo, doro wat, etc.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Couple threads coming from me as Christmas nears.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: ^^^^ Cook or die looks great, but I don't want to commit to something that I absolutely have to do or face the consequences(!!). But then that's half the fun. And fried chicken looked fantastic.

Huh. Last time I tried it, it was just goo. I'll give it another try. It's always good to know the TVP stuff that actually tastes okay and what it does well in.

Maybe that's my problem. I need an adult food processor instead of the cup and a half $10.99 walmart version I have. Is there a good brand that can deal with getting beat up in moving pretty well? This is the same reason I don't have a stand mixer.

Commas aren't my friend today either.

Magimix (Cuisinart in the US?) are amazing. My mother has the one she got when she got married.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Clavietika posted:

The recipe posts were kind of in the format of the recent cook-or-die in that people would post a recipe and others would make it and post their results/adjustments, except it wasn't mandatory for everyone that posted in the thread. I specifically remember a problem with them being that people would storm in bitching about the authenticity of recipes; this paella thread that turned into a 1-voted shitshow due to fighting about being able to make authentic paella without a clay(?) oven comes to mind as the death of single-recipe threads.

The last recipe thread I know that was done was feelz good man's http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558354

It was great, but I'm the scourge of GWC according to the PI person, too poor to contribute. I'm not going to go out and buy food to feel part of a thread. I buy what I can, and cook what I can with it. Seasonal variations, budgets, personal tastes et al.

I can't remember the carbonara one, but I have a few of my own recipes for carbonara anyway.
Grav's ragu was good, thanks for putting that in the wiki, but I didn't follow it completely, I did something between that and Blumenthal's.

e:

Sjurygg posted:

Couple threads coming from me as Christmas nears.

Please do, you're one of my favourite posters here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 22, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For serious - why bother with too much effort when the only posting that seems to be encouraged is the low effort gbsfood chickencheese kind?

What does this even meeaaaannnnn?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Doh004 posted:

What does this even meeaaaannnnn?

Hey, I remember you, weren't you that chickencheese person?
I think that's what he means.

I know you weren't the thread OP, but you seemed to revel in it :p

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Chickencheese was the last time I remember GWS being remotely amusing. I would also rather have it be mean and interesting to read over nice and dull.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I wish we had some chickencheese-like threads where people do all sorts of crazy/funny poo poo, except perhaps with some nice food.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Lichtenstein posted:

I wish we had some chickencheese-like threads where people do all sorts of crazy/funny poo poo, except perhaps with some nice food.

I intended on making a haute cuisine Double Down for the Fry or Die but it failed spectacularly and I cried myself to sleep.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Fo3 posted:

Hey, I remember you, weren't you that chickencheese person?
I think that's what he means.

I know you weren't the thread OP, but you seemed to revel in it :p

As a person who enjoyed the Chickencheese thread and also participated in it, I find it difficult to believe that I'm the reason that no one is encouraged to post non "low effort gbsfood chickencheese kind". I guess that sort of posting is vilified now because ???

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Doh004 posted:

As a person who enjoyed the Chickencheese thread and also participated in it, I find it difficult to believe that I'm the reason that no one is encouraged to post non "low effort gbsfood chickencheese kind". I guess that sort of posting is vilified now because ???

I think you're being intentionally obtuse, possibly because of excessive cholesterol intake.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I think you're being intentionally obtuse, possibly because of excessive cholesterol intake.

For the first time in a while I'm actually not. I seriously don't understand your line of thinking and would like to.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Doh004 posted:

I'm only having fun. It's not like I would have brought you up to prove any point, you just happened to post after me.
I think I was banned from my regular forum, or they introduced some rule about not swearing and having to be nice, so I stopped posting there and have been spending some time here to pass the night.
I think all the elitists hang around in chat, and only pounce on this forum to pick on some poster that said a silly thing anyway these days. Most threads are dead quiet if it's boring or beginner level stuff and no 'pro' ever chimes in. But if someone says anything out of line, they all swoop in from nowhere with ridicule.

I don't even like food anyways...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 22, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Doh004 posted:

For the first time in a while I'm actually not. I seriously don't understand your line of thinking and would like to.

Okay, in the interest of good faith and charity I will make a better attempt to explain.

Let's say someone posts a well made and medium to high effort thread about pissaladière (one of my favourites). There's a writeup of how to do the bread right, just how to get the onions caramelized, why there's no cheese or tomatoes involved, all about the olives, etc. It's not a major big time thread that's going to get a whole lot of responses necessarilly, but maybe a page or two (especially on the bread making part of it, since that can lead to a whole world of Southern French flat breads). Now, let's suppose someone comes into this thread and makes a post like "well I really don't see what's so different between this and pizza". Okay, many people can patiently explain this difference, the history of the dishes, etc etc. Then the person insists that the explainers are wrong and posts "well it's better this way so I did it with a Boboli crust canned olives and a block of mozzerella cheese and also some ketchup for sauce because I can't afford tomatoes" and then posts a photo of it. Some acidic response could be expected to this, but we are now often in a situation when this response is offered (often very funny!) that those people criticizing the low effort poster for their lack of effort but for their purposeful failure to understand the dish at hand will find themselves called out by a mod as being "too mean" or "exclusive" or "snobbish" or something and may even end up with a probation for trolling or somesuch other nonsense.

Perhaps you can see why this would be discouraging.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 22, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Okay, in the interest of good faith and charity I will make a better attempt to explain.

Let's say someone posts a well made and medium to high effort thread about pissaladière (one of my favourites). There's a writeup of how to do the bread right, just how to get the onions caramelized, why there's no cheese or tomatoes involved, all about the olives, etc. It's not a major big time thread that's going to get a whole lot of responses necessarilly, but maybe a page or two (especially on the bread making part of it, since that can lead to a whole world of Southern French flat breads). Now, let's suppose someone comes into this thread and makes a post like "well I really don't see what's so different between this and pizza". Okay, many people can patiently explain this difference, the history of the dishes, etc etc. Then the person insists that the explainers are wrong and posts "well it's better this way so I did it with a Boboli crust canned olives and a block of mozzerella cheese and also some ketchup for sauce because I can't afford tomatoes" and then posts a photo of it. Some acidic response could be expected to this, but we are now often in a situation when this response is offered (often very funny!) that those people criticizing the low effort poster for their lack of effort but for their purposeful failure to understand the dish at hand will find themselves called out by a mod as being "too mean" or "exclusive" or "snobbish" or something and may even end up with a probation for trolling or somesuch other nonsense.

Perhaps you can see why this would be discouraging.

That reply makes you sound like a tosser.

Serious part:
You really think that no one is interested in authentic recipes?
That people who love to cook out of a can would come in from nowhere and ruin recipe threads? Got any evidence of this lately? The forums are quiet because both good OPs and poo poo repliers have both gone.
Take your forum back yo!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

In the interest of offering solutions instead of continuing the bitchfest. I'mma put up a Cook or Die today unless someone else wanted to. It should go up today though, tired of this goonproject pushitofffor3weeks poo poo. Also N/ICSA, who's up next?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I don't post much here, since I usually haven't made any food Worth posting about, however I just saw the ragu thread and saw that it was sadly archived. Should I post my pretty damned decent ragu recipe elsewhere?

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Hell, post a new thread for it! :justpost:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

GrAviTy84 posted:

In the interest of offering solutions instead of continuing the bitchfest. I'mma put up a Cook or Die today unless someone else wanted to. It should go up today though, tired of this goonproject pushitofffor3weeks poo poo. Also N/ICSA, who's up next?

I think Happy Hat got skipped on the last NICSA. I'm not sure what's going to happen about that. I've been waiting for a new NICSA.

If you're looking for a suggestion, I was thinking of making a sausage-based Cook or Die when the fry or die was posted. Not sure if you already had something in mind, though.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Clavietika posted:

Hell, post a new thread for it! :justpost:

Well, I'm nut sure it is actually a ragu worthy of an entire thread, but I'll think about it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Do it. Make it a good one.

I'll participate either way though.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 22, 2013

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Me in Reverse posted:

I intended on making a haute cuisine Double Down for the Fry or Die but it failed spectacularly and I cried myself to sleep.
Joe Beef in Montreal makes a foie gras Double Down where both of the meaty bits are slabs of foie, filled with gruyere and I forget what else. My part-time wife took a photo when she had it that I can't find right now, but it looks about like you'd expect.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Many of us don't want to bother because we don't want to be probated for jumping someone's poo poo
I realize that some regulars have not been particular fans of my moderation style from time to time. That's fine; I haven't been a particular fan of some regulars' posting styles. At times, they have come across as humorless, pedantic prigs intent on tearing down anyone who doesn't meet their exacting standards of cookery - not in a humorous fashion (as is sometimes exemplified by mindphlux, to whom I have at times reacted as a humorless, pedantic prig), but with a mean-spirited, burn-the-place-down mentality.

Obviously SA was founded on humor, including the humor of being dicks to one another. Being dicks to one another is a thing we do from time to time. Keep in mind, though, that swinging too far in the be-a-dick direction has the same end result as swinging too far in the be-nice direction: a dead forum where nobody wants to post. It's a balancing act, and as members of the community all of us have a role in finding that balance. Happy Abobo and I have been given a more active role in nudging the forum in the right direction when we feel it's needed, and on rare occasions we exercise that option. For the most part we try to let things self-correct.

This forum would not survive as a masturbatory culinary Helldump where only the stupid post to be ridiculed. It wouldn't survive as a hugbox where microwaved Kraft singles on pita bread pizzas get a free pass, either. Somewhere in the middle is a forum we can all enjoy and be proud of for varying reasons. To do that, some of y'all are going to have to learn not to walk back into that burning barn, or back up on that cross, or whatever martyrdom/stupidity metaphor you want to favor. Come outside. The sun is shining, Honeycrisp apples are in season, and it's time to start curing olives and cooking up big batches of Mr Wiggle's Weeknight Brazilian Stew, which is still one of my favorite autumn recipes (sometimes I use winter squash instead of sweet potatoes, especially when pumpkin is so cheap).

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 22, 2013

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Yeah honestly I rarely post here because I got tired of 'Wait, you used grocery store chicken? How DARE you sully my eyeballs with anything but chickens raised by Atlantean virgins and fed only the fingernails of poor children' blah blah. Look, I get it, I'd love to cook with fantastic ingredients and the latest technology too (the sandwich abomination thread aside, which was 100% intended as comedy), but most weeks, what I can afford is beans, Costco chicken thighs, rice, and canned green beans.

vv sometimes canned's all there is if there's problems with the ferry

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 23, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Alls good see Mr W.
I had a mean response to your concoction, and no probation handed out. :v:

edited to address the post that snuck in there: Just drop the costco poo poo Mr W and everyone, because it's tiring to read when there's not even a costco in my Australian state (of pissed). Put that poo poo in a shopping thread, not a recipe thread.

^canned green beans are inferior to frozen green beans, just saying.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 22, 2013

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
still not posting

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

pr0k posted:

still not posting

That counted as posting.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
What did?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

PopeCrunch posted:

Yeah honestly I rarely post here because I got tired of 'Wait, you used grocery store chicken? How DARE you sully my eyeballs with anything but chickens raised by Atlantean virgins and fed only the fingernails of poor children' blah blah. Look, I get it, I'd love to cook with fantastic ingredients and the latest technology too (the sandwich abomination thread aside, which was 100% intended as comedy), but most weeks, what I can afford is beans, Costco chicken thighs, rice, and canned green beans.

I don't really understand this sentiment at all. I've been lurking this forum since I joined, and lightly posting for the past few years and have almost never seen comments like this. While most of the senior members encourage cooking with the best ingredients, its generally said in the context of cooking with the best ingredients that you can afford. This is a sentiment that is carried all the way through cooking, from here to the best restaurants. Cook with the best you can to maximize flavor, but no one here is going to say "gently caress you poor person" if you don't/can't source all your ingredients from Whole Foods or a local farm/market.

I guess this boils down to the above discussion about being a dick/being too nice, but as long as posters make higher effort posts, no one here judges how much you spent on ingredients. There have been plenty of awesome threads with pictures that contain value brand whatevers and I've never seen "should have used most expensive salt dickhead" its generally "try this instead of that next time, its what I do and its awesome." Maybe you got this impression because you recently posted about a chef boyardee ravioli sandwich with carrots on it or whatever it was?

fake edit: more posts about pr0k's mom from SubG please

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

As someone who almost entirely lurks here, the fried chicken thread was useful enough to upgrade my own efforts from highly mediocre to fairly respectable. So, thanks to everyone who contributed to that.

contrapants posted:

If you're looking for a suggestion, I was thinking of making a sausage-based Cook or Die when the fry or die was posted. Not sure if you already had something in mind, though.

This is a thread I would be interested in reading.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

As someone who almost entirely lurks here, the fried chicken thread was useful enough to upgrade my own efforts from highly mediocre to fairly respectable. So, thanks to everyone who contributed to that.

This is a thread I would be interested in reading.

Sausage would own. I was thinking pie, too. There's no reason why we can't have more than one pact thread though....

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I think a thread with requests that are answered a little (or a lot) more in depth than the General/Quick questions thread would be really useful also. For example, I've been cooking chicken constantly for the past year since I started eating meat again but its still a bizarre mystery to me how its different every time. I'd love a guide with pictures, techniques, how other people do it often or in bulk etc instead of "cook until 165F and pull." I'd be happy to start a general chicken thread, but it seems like stuff like that might be best suited to a requests thread that could easily be transferred straight to the GWS wiki. I think this could apply to a lot of the more basic things around the kitchen, and might help attract a wider SA audience for people who are looking to get more serious about home cooking. There are constantly questions in the general thread about "how do I cook rice, its always mushy" or like mine above, "how do I stop loving up chicken the acclaimed easiest of all meats to cook???" so it might help mitigate those excess posts as well.

Also, more cook or die threads more often would be great and I think could really help boost GWC participation. I know I'd love to participate in some them to help me push my skills and try new things.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Learning how to make my own sausage would be as damaging to my life as learning to make smack. I would never be able to stop.

I made some loose green chorizo this spring and was caught my by girlfriend at 2am, standing in the kitchen, naked, frying up small bits and eating them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of the things I think keeps people from making attempts in either the N/ICSA or Cook or Die threads is their fear that their level of (in)experience will keep them from being successful or invite the scorn of GWS regulars. I, for instance, was hesitant to jump into the Fry That Bird CoD because I've pretty much never fried anything. In fact, my results were clearly subpar, but I'm glad I did it and it was a real learning experience. I mean it's pretty obvious that the ICSA and NICSA are aimed toward two pretty distinct groups of people regarding home cooking experience, but I think it'd be good to add a disclaimer for any future Cook or Die threads that all skill levels are welcome, and all that's needed to prevent getting an ugly custom title is the effort itself, not your final results.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am pretty sure no one cares if you try and fail, it is the lack of effort that invites scorn.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

bunnielab posted:

I made some loose green chorizo this spring and was caught my by girlfriend at 2am, standing in the kitchen, naked, frying up small bits and eating them.

This sounds terrifying (for your junk) but I'd love a recipe for the chorizo (not involving your junk).

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sausage would own. I was thinking pie, too. There's no reason why we can't have more than one pact thread though....

I would definitely enter a pie CoD.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I just miss good, detail given, step by step pic recipe threads. I tried carbonara for the first time because of that thread, and it was AMAZING.

I'm much more likely to read a new thread than dig through a lot of the megathreads... and when something really is phenomenal, it's great to be able to FIND it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
So I found this: