Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Keeping the iPad2 around at 399 is kind of offensive honestly
And if people don't buy them then I'm sure they'll remove it from the lineup. Please don't get insulted by products on shelves. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

So if I want to snap up a cheap iPad 4, how fast do I need to move? Should I be looking online or rolling out to brick and mortar stores?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

smr posted:

The lack of Touch ID in either high-end iPad is a bit puzzling.
It has already been established that the touchID components are a major limiting factor in iPhone production, therefore they are being held specifically for the iPhone. You'll probably see them in the next revision but honestly I appreciate it on the iPhone but I don't know if I would value it on an iPad personally.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/20/apples-media-event-predicted-to-see-retina-ipad-mini-and-thinner-ipad-but-no-touch-id-or-gold-option/

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Zombie Samurai posted:

So if I want to snap up a cheap iPad 4, how fast do I need to move? Should I be looking online or rolling out to brick and mortar stores?

Get out of your house now.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Can't blame them if people keep buying them. And honestly, no matter how good Apple makes their new iPads, if the iPad 2 stays around at $100 cheaper, it will continue to sell.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Don Tacorleone posted:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

And if people don't buy them then I'm sure they'll remove it from the lineup. Please don't get insulted by products on shelves. :confused:

They still have the iPod Classic on the Apple Store so who knows really how long they'll keep the iPad 2 around for.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I hope people don't buy them. I hope they're smart enough to know that the iPad 2 is hilariously poo poo compared to the new iPad Mini retina. Smaller, crisper screen with current-gen SoC vs Bigger, blurrier screen with old-busted rear end SoC should be a no brainer.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Thwomp posted:

They still have the iPod Classic on the Apple Store so who knows really how long they'll keep the iPad 2 around for.

That reminds me, no iPod/Touch update at all, I wonder if they're officially retired regarding development

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Don Tacorleone posted:

That reminds me, no iPod/Touch update at all, I wonder if they're officially retired regarding development

The iPod Touches only get refreshed every 2 years (eg they're on the Apple 'tick' cycle, not the 'tock' too).

They got it last year so they'll get updated to whatever new design the iPhone 6 takes.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Thwomp posted:

I'm glad they have the iPod Classic. They still need that until they pass 160gb flash memory at the same pricepoint.

I prefer having a few specialized devices rather than one device that does everything (for battery life and HDD space concerns).

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Don Tacorleone posted:

I think in regards to iPods, they are pretty much unofficially dead. Not to mention a user buying an iPod touch is now a user that will likely buy apps.

And iPod Touch being retired? It was updated just last year. I doubt they want to spend money throwing newer tech in it until at least a year from now.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Thwomp posted:

At least I can understand why the iPod classic still exists. Large amount of storage for the same price as a base model iPod touch and can probably take a bit more of a beating.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

teagone posted:

I hope people don't buy them. I hope they're smart enough to know that the iPad 2 is hilariously poo poo compared to the new iPad Mini retina. Smaller, crisper screen with current-gen SoC vs Bigger, blurrier screen with old-busted rear end SoC should be a no brainer.

It should, but at the end of the day, $100. People are stupid, this will never change, and it will be purchased by many as long as it's available. Hell, even the name iPad Air (versus just iPad) indicates to me that Apple had to change the name of their flagship iPad just to remind people that it has benefits over the iPad 2. At this point, though, the iPad 2 is essentially a margin buffer for Apple's bottom line.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Something I noticed on the keynote - when Steve revealed products, they sometimes had the clock on them set to the correct time of the event, this time the iPad Air was set to 9:41, but the event was way past that. One of those details. .

edit: Also in terms of event "flow", they really killed it this time with Dad & Dad iWork time

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Shadowhand00 posted:

Kind of wish they went with 32GB minimums but eh.

I think it's gonna be quite a while before they bump the minimum storage from 16GB. 16GB is enough for a lot of people, but also low enough that many want to pay for extra storage. If 32GB was the baseline there probably wouldn't be a whole lot of people paying for extra storage; and considering the price of nandflash and the 100$ price Apple demands for it it's obviously a big cashcow.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

JoeMB posted:

At least I can understand why the iPod classic still exists. Large amount of storage for the same price as a base model iPod touch and can probably take a bit more of a beating.

iPod classic makes sense from the user point of view as there are hundreds of appliances using the 30-pin dock, like home stereos or kitchen docks. Plus the 160 GB means you can basically plug your entire library everywhere . It's neat when you are a non-technical woman or child :shobon:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

T-Mobile is offering 200megs/month for free for iPads. I guess it could be handy for the occasional emails and such.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/22/4867228/tmobile-offering-new-pad-users-200mb-free-monthly-data

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JoeMB posted:

It's actually the opposite for storage; the hard drive in a Classic will probably die if you drop the thing while flash storage will be fine.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Mu Zeta posted:

T-Mobile is offering 200megs/month for free for iPads. I guess it could be handy for the occasional emails and such.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/22/4867228/tmobile-offering-new-pad-users-200mb-free-monthly-data

It might entice a few more people to buy a cell-equipped version who later decide to upgrade to a larger plan. I might consider it.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 22, 2013

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

teagone posted:

They could at least throw in an A6/X to make it not run like absolute poo poo on the newest software. Oh well, not like I'll be buying one, but I feel bad for all the suckers that happen to get duped into buying one.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I get the feeling the iPad 2 sells really well to schools.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

DarkJC posted:

It also probably sells well to Dish Network, considering they offer one for free when you start service with THE HOPPAH

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DarkJC posted:

I think LA put out a 20 year bond to buy all the kids ipads

they will be paying for ipad 2's for the next 20 years.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Is the new mini going to have the same amount of RAM as the air?

What's different between the two other than the screen size (and the more space for a bigger battery)?

I was sold on getting a new full sized iPad but if it doesn't have touch ID and the internals are the same I might just go mini.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Don Lapre posted:

I think LA put out a 20 year bond to buy all the kids ipads

they will be paying for ipad 2's for the next 20 years.

IIRC they bought them, didn't bother figuring out how to properly lock them down and had kids playing Temple Run in class in no time at all. Then they took them all back 'til they get their poo poo sorted.

:buddy:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am not too enthused with the mini price bump. I was going to dump mine and upgrade, now I am not sure.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I actually can't figure out why I would want the iPad Air over the iPad Mini... I guess its the same reason I like the 13 inch Macbook Air over the 11 inch Macbook air. Yeah, the poo poo's all still there but its just in a tight package?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'd downsize to an iPad Mini if I wasn't using my iPad 4 for textbooks so much.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 22, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

FlashBangBob posted:

I actually can't figure out why I would want the iPad Air over the iPad Mini... I guess its the same reason I like the 13 inch Macbook Air over the 11 inch Macbook air. Yeah, the poo poo's all still there but its just in a tight package?

The macbook air 13 has better battery life and an sd reader.

There is no reason to buy the ipad air unless you need to look at big pdfs and poo poo.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I like the bigger screen real estate for video watching.

Then again, my primary use case of my iPad is for traveling but now I just don't know.

Edit: and that brings me around again to the thought of why name it the iPad Air if they weren't doing an iPad Pro? But I don't even know what an iPad Pro would bring to the table so who knows.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

FlashBangBob posted:

I'm wrestling with this myself: I've been waiting for the new generation to finally upgrade my iPad 2 (very psyched 128GB is finally an option), but am going back and forth between iPad Air and iPad Mini. I mainly use it for laying on the couch and browsing the web/playing games and watching TV/movies on airplanes. For the latter, the mini is obviously great, but I worry the screen will be just a bit too small for optimum web browsing.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Giraffe posted:

I'm wrestling with this myself: I've been waiting for the new generation to finally upgrade my iPad 2 (very psyched 128GB is finally an option), but am going back and forth between iPad Air and iPad Mini. I mainly use it for laying on the couch and browsing the web/playing games and watching TV/movies on airplanes. For the latter, the mini is obviously great, but I worry the screen will be just a bit too small for optimum web browsing.

I'm well chuffed with the screen size on Nexus 7 and that has a smaller screen. I would say the 4:3 screen on the iPad Mini is perfect aspect ratio for browsing. I would personally go to the Apple store and just try browsing on it for like 15-20 minutes,

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know it means nothing (and I'm buying the gently caress out of one) but I hate the Air name. It smacks of "variant." Like "this is the lighter, leaner, stripped of certain features to keep it mobile and easy iPad Air."

I know that's not the case. I just hate the name.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

JoeMB posted:

I'm well chuffed with the screen size on Nexus 7 and that has a smaller screen. I would say the 4:3 screen on the iPad Mini is perfect aspect ratio for browsing. I would personally go to the Apple store and just try browsing on it for like 15-20 minutes,

You are spot-on. The Mini's screen size is just... perfect. It's like they research this poo poo or something.

I actually bought a 2013 Nexus 7 because I want something in that size-ish with a Retina screen. Wife has an iPad 4, I have a Mini. I love the Mini but I mostly read with it and text IS fuzzy. The aspect ratio on that Nexus is ALL KINDS OF WRONG. Books felt like Chick tracts, apps scaled for poo poo (critical when no one makes tablet-specific apps in your ecosystem)... just, UGH.

So I sent that thing back ASAP and now will move heaven and earth to get one of the Retina Minis because that is exactly what I want in a tablet. The 4 is awesome, but just too goddamned big and heavy, it's a pain in the rear end to read in bed whereas the Mini is just fine.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Looks like I'm picking up an iPad Air next week then, most likely the 16GB size with a Smart Case. I replaced my OG iPad (bought when the iPad 2 came out) with the Mini last year, it was a solid upgrade but it's time to go back to the larger screen of the regular iPad.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The iPad Air is going to have more screen real estate, which means that taps have a less chance to miss, text is going to "look" 25% bigger, which is easier on my eyes. Its the only justification I can have right now for the Air over the Mini. I'll probably pick up the Air and if I just don't like the weight or bed-time feel, I'll just take it back and wait out for the mini.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Feenix posted:

I know it means nothing (and I'm buying the gently caress out of one) but I hate the Air name. It smacks of "variant." Like "this is the lighter, leaner, stripped of certain features to keep it mobile and easy iPad Air."

I know that's not the case. I just hate the name.

I guess the logic on their end was that they had to do something to really hammer the point home that they made the iPad smaller and lighter. It might end up overlooked it were just "iPad with retina display" all over again.

Seeing Apple struggle with marketing names is interesting. They tried to get off of the iterative numbers path with the 3rd gen iPad, but the iPad 2 still exists and now we have the iPad Air, and the layperson is expected to know that the Air is the newer, better model. The iPhone 5 is actually the sixth generation iPhone, but they'll stick with their N/Ns scheme next year, when the iPhone 6 (8th generation) is released. Perhaps next year we'll see the iPad Air mini?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm really amazed that you guys are so confused over the Air and Mini having the same specs. The bigger screen is the selling point. Bigger screens are a selling point for phones, for TVs, and for monitors, so why is it so surprising that some people also prefer larger screens on tablets? Bringing the hardware specs in line is the best possible situation because it means people can buy the device that's actually going to be useful for them instead of feeling that they're losing out because they want a smaller screen.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a link or thread that summarizes the new iPad features?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I can't to try out the mini with academic PDFs. I'm still trying to decide between the full size and mini for PDF reading and annotating.