Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No
Sep 13, 2006

I'm upset because I just discovered I can't find Frillish in this game. I want a Jellicent named Pringles. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wish there was a Mega Magikarp. That'd be the best pokemon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Its mega ability would turn splash into a 200-BP priority move. Magikarp would still be bad.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Mega Magikarp stat increases:

HP: 20
Attack: 10
Defense: 55
Sp. Atk: 15
Sp. Def: 20
Speed: 80 > 180

Its ability changes to Slow Start. Or maybe Defeatist.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

Well that's kind of the problem, is that if you want to do any kind of pokemon battling at all your options are the official Nintendo format (which is doubles) or Smogon.

e: If you want any relevant amount of players, that is. Sure you can go other places, but having an opponent pool of ~10 people isn't exactly a great thing.

I really don't see the problem with that. If you just do the whole no rules environment you get the rear end in a top hat who drags up Mewtwo and Darkrai and whatever and will curbstomp your team of Empoleon and Heracross. Having some structure is good and having no structure leads to the disparity of some people mini maxing everything and they get opponents who are using their in-game teams

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there any drawback to Mega Kangaskhan? Everything I've read about it makes it sound incredibly broken and I can't remember anyone saying anything about counters.

It's basically broken in the same way as Aegislash. There are a whole bunch of solutions to it, but it does require your opponent to have and use them correctly.

That's not to say it isn't good, it is, it's just not something that's getting banned. You don't hear talk about counters, for the same reason people avoid saying the word Taunt around Aegislash. It kills the fun.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I really don't see the problem with that. If you just do the whole no rules environment you get the rear end in a top hat who drags up Mewtwo and Darkrai and whatever and will curbstomp your team of Empoleon and Heracross.

The post wasn't about tiers, it was about smogon people themselves being dicks. Structure is cool, let's see some Meganium fight some Shuckle or whatever NU people do.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 24, 2013

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So this sort of off topic, but this maybe be the stupidest article written about pokemon I've ever read.

http://kotaku.com/holy-crap-has-the-famous-glitch-missingo-returned-in-1450131677

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

LeafyOrb posted:

So this only marginally pokemon X and Y related, but this maybe be the stupidest article written about pokemon I've ever read.

http://kotaku.com/holy-crap-has-the-famous-glitch-missingo-returned-in-1450131677

Kotaku posts crappy article pretty much describes that entire site

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

LeafyOrb posted:

So this sort of off topic, but this maybe be the stupidest article written about pokemon I've ever read.

Ahahahaha, Kotaku needs to never stop with the gaming journalism. :shepface:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Kotaku's entire business plan is bullshit story with even bullshittier headline to garner clicks and therefore ad revenue. Linking Kotaku is a sign of credulity like finding out gullible isn't in the dictionary.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Beasteh posted:

Flame Charge and Shadow Sneak don't mesh at all, since one increases speed (and has weak power) and the other has priority.

Your overall set is good however, I would replace flame charge with will-o-wisp.

It would look like;

Gourgeist @ Leftovers
Size: Super Size
Ability: Frisk
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spe
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Seed Bomb

Can I ask why you think the 4 should go into speed and not attack? It only has 54 base speed.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

quote:

We've contacted Nintendo to ask about the Missingno-like image and whether it is at all connected to the glitch some players are experiencing in Lumiose City (probably not)—

We contacted Nintendo to waste their time and ask them retarded questions we already knew the answer to.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

The Shortest Path posted:

Exactly. It's too prominent and overcentralizes the game around it. If distribution were heavily limited, like what's happening with Sticky Web, it would be great, because then you'd have to actually make decisions about whether you're including it on your team based on whether it fits or not. But everything and its mother can learn it, so it's a complete no-brainer and forces all strategy to revolve around it.

Fire, flying, ice, and bug types are all made severely worse. Focus Sash and Sturdy are almost completely worthless except on leads. All damage calculations are made based on stealth rock existing because it is just that ubiquitous.
Actually, the metagame would just be filled with thousands of Dragonites, Volcaronas, and Mega Zards if stealth rock wasn't a thing. :v:

Edit: That god drat Kotaku article. :lol:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

tentawesome posted:

Can I ask why you think the 4 should go into speed and not attack? It only has 54 base speed.

No reason at all really, investing 1 into speed at least lets you outspeed other Gourgeist if it comes down to that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

tentawesome posted:

Well, 1 attack point will very, very, very rarely make a difference, but having that 1 speed means you can rest assured knowing you'll outspeed any other Gourgeists.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Actually, the metagame would just be filled with thousands of Dragonites, Volcaronas, and Mega Zards if stealth rock wasn't a thing. :v:

Edit: That god drat Kotaku article. :lol:

They already have a lot of counters though, particularly Tyranitar, that are just as prominent with or without stealth rock.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

LeafyOrb posted:

drat. Kotaku's really stepped up to the plate with some fairly good rear end articles like Dear Pokémon Players: Your Animal Crossing Town Misses You and Grab a Pair of Gunnar Optiks Gaming Glasses for 20% Off but this takes it to whole new level.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So I'm very slowly working through the game. I saw all the posts about Hawlucha and thought "he sounds cool." Then I saw my first one. :swoon: If you aren't at least using him on your in-game team you are objectively wrong. :colbert:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gensuki posted:

That's not to say it isn't good, it is, it's just not something that's getting banned. You don't hear talk about counters, for the same reason people avoid saying the word Taunt around Aegislash. It kills the fun.

:aaa: How have I never thought of this, it's so obvious now.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Zoran posted:

Okay, I actually did find something better than Mega-Kangaskhan's Return. As long as we're counting abilities as base power increases, Diggersby's Return hits 306. Too bad its actual stats are way worse so Diggersby does less damage.

Diggersby's hidden ability is huge power.
:getin:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

Video games journalism

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sprite141 posted:

The 306 counted that.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

vulturesrow posted:

So I'm very slowly working through the game. I saw all the posts about Hawlucha and thought "he sounds cool." Then I saw my first one. :swoon: If you aren't at least using him on your in-game team you are objectively wrong. :colbert:

This. I don't think I have ever been as excited about a pokemon I knew nothing about. When he showed up in the grass I totally lost my poo poo. He got to stay on my team after single-handedly ruining the whole fighting gym.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
Hhahaha I just got a female japanese larvitar. beautiful.

Also has a picture come out of A shiny Mega Blaziken? Is it just as underwhelming as Blaziken's normal shiny form?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Anyone find any fun or decent moves that could be bred onto a litleo?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Sprite141 posted:

Diggersby's dream world ability or whatever the equivalent is should be Wonder Guard.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So is there any hard numbers on Stored Power yet since that's a move that interests. I'm thinking like a Substitute Leftovers Ninjask (worked for me back in Gen IV) stalling for several turns then baton passing over to a Gardevoir. Calm Mind would be the more oblivious set up but if the move powers up for every stat increase letting a Ninjask speed up for a while then swapping over could have it wreck house and maybe work out better?

Then again I might just run a Ninjask cause it's goddamn Ninjask :black101:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Shogunate posted:

So is there any hard numbers on Stored Power yet since that's a move that interests.

That's been around since gen V, so yeah. +20 base power for every positive stat boost the user has.

e: And if you want to use it you're better off with Espeon of Sigilyph.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I love my Diggersby, he's a great utility Pokemon.
Not only does he randomly pick up items after battle, he can use Surf, Cut, Rock Smash and Strength.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I'm thinking of making a team for Battle Maison triples because i like triples the best. So far, my trained dudes are a Pumkaboo (soon to be Gourgeist), Noivern and Tyrantrum. I also trained a Dedenne before learning that it doesn't get any decent Fairy moves. Someone Wonder Traded me an Adamant Huge Power Azuril, so I'm thinking of training an Azumaril as well. I'd also like to make a Dry Skin Heliolisk, a Talonflame, Dragoo, Pangoro and Clawitzer.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
Oh god some passerby challenged me to a 6v6 with his all Steel team. My Carbink, slayer of many Mewtwos, died so quickly. :(
It was like a loving gym leader. Except I lost

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Shogunate posted:

So is there any hard numbers on Stored Power yet

20(X+1) where X is the number of stat boosts you have. Stat reductions don't count.

It caps at 860 power.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Rain in the field fucks with Sweet Scent apparently. I have to find an Axew horde now.

Golden Lumber
May 30, 2013
Just bred a perfect bold klefki :getin: Sadly it's female so I can't use it as another breeding parent but you use what you get!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Does anyone have a ditto friend safari that I could get in on? I'm trying to breed up a Shuckle and Staryu but hunting ditto in pokemon village is terrible and bad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright, I bred a Barboach with Max IVs in everything but attack! Time to get-

...wait, why the gently caress doesn't it know hydro pump??? :negative:

rear end in a top hat daycare

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I remember seeing someone in this thread say that a special attacker technically wants 0 attack IVs. Why is that?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

yaoi prophet posted:

I remember seeing someone in this thread say that a special attacker technically wants 0 attack IVs. Why is that?

Minimize confusion self-damage and Foul Play. That's pretty much it.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright, I bred a Barboach with Max IVs in everything but attack! Time to get-

...wait, why the gently caress doesn't it know hydro pump??? :negative:

rear end in a top hat daycare

Move relearner? Why is this a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

LAY-ZX posted:

Move relearner? Why is this a problem?

Speaking of, I blew my only heart scale on something stupid because I just didn't even understand :eng99: How do I get more of those?

• Locked thread