Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Has anyone tried toggling the power modes in the Nvidia Control Panel to see if their power saving features might be causing instability? Didn't see it mentioned, and I know with my Radeon card the ULPS setting would lower the clocks but caused weird screen flickering in 2D mode, so I disabled it both with MSI Afterburner and a quick reg hack. I wonder if turning the power mode from Adaptive to Max Performance would make a difference, or if a reg hack might kill some of those issues. I did a quick search and found a couple articles, one is for notebooks specifically so not entirely sure how relevant it could be to someone using a desktop:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/19134-gpu-downclocking-for-no-apparent-reason-disable-powermizer/
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413172337?page=24
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/495286/how-to-disable-power-saving-mode-on-2nd-card-in-sli-/

Might even be worth checking some of the Windows hidden user profile folders - I remember some older Radeon 6000 series cards had a couple video profile hacks that talked about editing an XML file in C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE, so maybe Nvidia has a similar area you can locate some sort of file and modify the card's clocks so they stay the same regardless of changes from 2D to 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Strangely, my sli 570s (combination of Fermi + sli should be the perfect storm for driver problems) have been perfectly stable using every beta and release driver for the last three years. Must be a more weirdly specific problem than Fermi + 314.22+ :shrug:

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
That was the first set of drivers I fell back to after 327.23 killed my card, as I knew people started having issues after 320.18 hit. Still had a BSoD. Even made sure Windows Update didn't gently caress it up (which it usually never does on my end because I tell it to ignore driver updates). I even tried versions older than 314.22.

It was either a card fault or a driver fault. I never overclocked the thing, and I'm not too sure on the others. Either way, I was loving pissed.

If it is some sort of push to get people to buy newer cards, it sure did work. I'm planning on buying a newer AMD card in the coming weeks.

Please don't take this post wrong. I don't mean to make it sound like I hate NVIDIA (I honestly love a lot of stuff they're doing), I just hate when bullshit like this happens.

Im_Special posted:

There is a small glimmer of light down this mile long tunnel finally, Nvidia has actually now acknowledged this problem and seems to have buckled down to try and fix it, who knows if or when but it's hope. They'll even pay all shipping costs for the people willing to send there problem cards in (not like Nvidia doesn't have closets full of old GTX460-560Ti's etc.). They will also soon be releasing a special driver that will help them in getting more information in trying to figure this thing out.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/621899/geforce-drivers/desktop-internet-browser-freeze-or-tdr-thread-w-geforce-460-560-gpus/1

Well, that's good at least. I just might send in my 580 for the hell of it. Not like it does anything but collect dust nowadays.

That, or I was thinking of doing what some of my friends have done for their dead GPUs, and make the GPU itself a key chain accessory.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 23, 2013

Sprenk
May 8, 2005

(not fat)

overdriveGTO posted:

My 570 is also unusable. It started with driver crashes then bsods and now I just get complete system lockups with no blue screen. 314.22 drivers haven't helped. This thing was rock solid since I got it at release until a few months ago.

My 460 GTX is doing this as well - unable to boot into Windows outside of safe mode at this point, tried latest drivers, 314.22, 327.23, reinstalled from clean a bunch of times, etc. I guess this card was getting a tad old at this point anyway so I figure it's time for a replacement.

Given this experience though, I'd rather not buy NVIDIA again. I want to play BF4 when it comes out next week, what's my best bet for an AMD card right now? Is it a dumb idea to buy an R9 280X at this point? Also, what's this "Vapor-X" thing on the R9 280Xs I see, is that just that they have a higher clock frequency?

Alternatively, am I dumb for avoiding NVIDIA? I'm thinking with Mantle and the driver issues I'd rather go with AMD for now. Anyone else in the same boat?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yes, kneejerking the other way is dumb.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

brute_force posted:

My 460 GTX is doing this as well - unable to boot into Windows outside of safe mode at this point, tried latest drivers, 314.22, 327.23, reinstalled from clean a bunch of times, etc. I guess this card was getting a tad old at this point anyway so I figure it's time for a replacement.

Given this experience though, I'd rather not buy NVIDIA again. I want to play BF4 when it comes out next week, what's my best bet for an AMD card right now? Is it a dumb idea to buy an R9 280X at this point? Also, what's this "Vapor-X" thing on the R9 280Xs I see, is that just that they have a higher clock frequency?

Alternatively, am I dumb for avoiding NVIDIA? I'm thinking with Mantle and the driver issues I'd rather go with AMD for now. Anyone else in the same boat?

280X is a couple of year old card with a new name, but that doesn't mean it's bad value at all.

However, I would honestly just wait a little while until 290 and 290X hit, to see how they stack up and affect the market.

They're supposed to be out any moment.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Tomorrow for the 290X.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Because AMD has been so on the ball with drivers, right guys?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

^ ^ ^ :waycool:

You do know that gaming and other enthusiast GPU drivers are uniformly terrible, right?

They're pretty much a bundle of tweaks, hacks and patches wrapped around a core of DirectX and OpenGL abstraction layers and hardware acceleration APIs and held together with farm twine and prayer. When you have every gamer and developer from here to anywhere complaining about their performance or their visuals or their stability or whatever you won't get anything better quality.

Quadro and FireGL hold up better because there are eleven-figure businesses that would wreck nVidia and AMD's poo poo if anything went irretrievably wrong.

Intel will only start counting for this thread's purpose whenever it is they finally release R-series APUs, but at least there everyone seems to get professional grade.

In any case, people in one camp or the other tend to overlook all the dumb things their camp's drivers do because they're used to working around the dumb things.

But if you cared about system stability above all else you probably wouldn't be playing video games on PCs. Or, seeing how consoles do these days, at all.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
For everyone else that had a problem after running nVidia updated drivers, I was able to get out of being forced into safe mode to do anything by uninstalling all drivers and nVidia and ATI software completely (including ATI - I had both ATI and nVidia drivers present briefly) and cold booting each time for each configuration until I had finally installed drivers. Granted, this may not be the proper solution, but I tried reinstalling drivers like everyone else and that didn't work whatsoever. I'm suspecting something is wrong with a number of users' configurations that nVidia didn't quite test for. It kind of pisses me off because I'm not exactly a crazy power user when it comes to my GPUs and I've stuck with mainline driver releases, so I shouldn't have had any problem at all. Maybe it has something to do with using a GTX 680 that I'm not aware of but seeing that people on even 460s getting similar problems, I'm just going to leave the judgment at "nVidia QA hosed up"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ironically the most stable video card I own is a 675m in my Sager :cripes:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

As much as I've been bitching about being out of town for work for the last two weeks, at least it's kept me from updating things and then having a blow-up. :ohdear:

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You do know that gaming and other enthusiast GPU drivers are uniformly terrible, right?
Yep. I've known this for quite some time on both camps. It's always been a sort of "pick your poison and hope for the best" scenario when it comes to drivers on consumer level GPUs.

As of recently, it's boiled down to if you want relatively stable drivers that take big shits every now and then (NVIDIA), or if you want less stable drivers which very rarely take big shits (AMD). The reason it being this way explained quite well by your description.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

But if you cared about system stability above all else you probably wouldn't be playing video games on PCs. Or, seeing how consoles do these days, at all.
Very true, even though I've had my fair share of issues with PS1s, PS2s, and Xbox 360s as well.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

For everyone else that had a problem after running nVidia updated drivers, I was able to get out of being forced into safe mode to do anything by uninstalling all drivers and nVidia and ATI software completely (including ATI - I had both ATI and nVidia drivers present briefly) and cold booting each time for each configuration until I had finally installed drivers. Granted, this may not be the proper solution, but I tried reinstalling drivers like everyone else and that didn't work whatsoever. I'm suspecting something is wrong with a number of users' configurations that nVidia didn't quite test for. It kind of pisses me off because I'm not exactly a crazy power user when it comes to my GPUs and I've stuck with mainline driver releases, so I shouldn't have had any problem at all. Maybe it has something to do with using a GTX 680 that I'm not aware of but seeing that people on even 460s getting similar problems, I'm just going to leave the judgment at "nVidia QA hosed up"

Yeah this is pretty much how I fixed my problem...it just took like three loving hours. Everything seems normal now.

Nothing too crazy about my config either...one GTX 670, one GT 210, three monitors. Though recently I've been driven nuts by incredibly lovely 2D performance (especially if Flash/GIFs are on web pages) on the displays run by the GT 210; is it really that lovely of a card it can't handle some 2D workload? I wonder if the x16 slot I shoved it in is secretly a x1 electrical...

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Tomorrow for the 290X.

Let's hope, I'm holding off on a new PC build until they get released (3 year old PC with a 5850). I'm hoping the 290 gets released along with the 290X. Want to get my build done for the release of BF4.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ShadowStalker posted:

Let's hope, I'm holding off on a new PC build until they get released (3 year old PC with a 5850). I'm hoping the 290 gets released along with the 290X. Want to get my build done for the release of BF4.

The 290 isn't likely coming until October 31st if leaks are to be believed. Only the 290X debuts tomorrow it appears.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The g-sync thing really turned my 290 attention to :flaccid:.

Come on AMD, take me back to :dong:.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

boovax posted:

Though recently I've been driven nuts by incredibly lovely 2D performance (especially if Flash/GIFs are on web pages) on the displays run by the GT 210; is it really that lovely of a card it can't handle some 2D workload? I wonder if the x16 slot I shoved it in is secretly a x1 electrical...
It's hard to appreciate how truly lovely a Geforce 210 is: We're talking 20% the performance of Intel HD Graphics at best. You're definitely not going to get acceptable performance even for basic 2D. In particular, it has as little as one eighth the memory bandwidth of your system RAM.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 24, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

It's hard to appreciate how truly lovely a Geforce 210 is: We're talking 20% the performance of Intel HD Graphics at best. You're definitely not going to get acceptable performance even for basic 2D. In particular, it has as little as one eighth the memory bandwidth of your system RAM.

Ugh...it's a passively cooled GT 210, MSI I think.

Then again, I bought it when I had a GTX 460. I should see if I have the cables to make a 3 monitor setup happen on my 670, only plan on gaming on one of them. Any horrible downsides?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

boovax posted:

Ugh...it's a passively cooled GT 210, MSI I think.

Then again, I bought it when I had a GTX 460. I should see if I have the cables to make a 3 monitor setup happen on my 670, only plan on gaming on one of them. Any horrible downsides?

Higher idle clocks if the screen resolutions are mismatched. Power equivalent to, eh, running two or three CFL bulbs.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

El Scotch posted:

The g-sync thing really turned my 290 attention to :flaccid:.

Come on AMD, take me back to :dong:.

You'll need to wait for G-Sync 2.0 for it to be any good, which will only be compatible with the next generation of Nvidia cards. Prove me wrong Nvidia. :colbert:

I got my new computer today with the 280x. In Guild Wars 2 at 1920x1080 with everything maxed Lion's Arch was smooth. The in-game FPS counter claimed I was getting 21 FPS but it did not look like it.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 24, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Higher idle clocks if the screen resolutions are mismatched. Power equivalent to, eh, running two or three CFL bulbs.

:sigh:

If only I had Z68 mobo, this wouldn't even be an issue. Hooked up one more display to the 670, gonna see how it works out now and if it murders my FPS by any appreciable amount.

e: loving Nvidia, how do you sell a loving GPU spikes to 33% usage displaying a browser window where the only moving element is my avatar

jesus

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Also, yes the OP is out of date, Factory Factory and/or Agreed (and all the other regulars) do you guys want to kick off a new one?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Good lord, I'm still plodding away at the overclocking thread rewrite. I'd be happy to work on tasks you want to put in front of me, but I can't take on a full rewrite.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

boovax posted:

e: loving Nvidia, how do you sell a loving GPU spikes to 33% usage displaying a browser window where the only moving element is my avatar

jesus

Because the drivers recognize that a browser is open, and therefore ramps up the clock speeds to account for the fact that browsers all use GPU-accelerated components now, no matter if the webpage being displayed is a text file or a video heavy multimedia site. I haven't used AMD's stuff for a while, but I'd imagine their cards/drivers do the exact same thing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Because the drivers recognize that a browser is open, and therefore ramps up the clock speeds to account for the fact that browsers all use GPU-accelerated components now, no matter if the webpage being displayed is a text file or a video heavy multimedia site. I haven't used AMD's stuff for a while, but I'd imagine their cards/drivers do the exact same thing.

My 7950 alternates between 0 and 83% at idle clocks with my browser open playing internet radio, so there's that.

Also, NDA is up on the 290X. AMD killed it, faster than a 780 everywhere and in quite a few places the Titan, for $550.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Flash video players (and some others) will keep your dynamic clocks at a a medium-high state as long as they're open even if you have browser acceleration off. It's annoying.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
My god, 290X runs at 95 C and pulls more power than a Titan. On the other hand, it trounces the 780 and goes blow for blow with Titan, for $450 less than titan. Pretty good!

Now show us a 290 non-X that does 780 numbers for $450!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Interestingly, was having some trouble with Chrome playing back Flash, so I switched over to IE...barely pegs either GPU. I guess I'll leave the GT 210 hooked up running my one email/IRC-only display.

Factory Factory posted:

Good lord, I'm still plodding away at the overclocking thread rewrite. I'd be happy to work on tasks you want to put in front of me, but I can't take on a full rewrite.

I think a lot of the content is still good, we just need to keep the first post w/ recommendations up to date. If you can let me know what to throw there (I've been under a rock when it comes to what AMD's doing) I can defintely do that.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Magic Underwear posted:

My god, 290X runs at 95 C and pulls more power than a Titan. On the other hand, it trounces the 780 and goes blow for blow with Titan, for $450 less than titan. Pretty good!

Now show us a 290 non-X that does 780 numbers for $450!
Wow, that's really shocking. Provided actual samples don't explode from strain, this is extremely good for AMD.

Non-reference cooling is gonna do the 290X a world of favor, as well. Sticking a simple reference blower with that much duty is a terrible idea.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Who's going to take apart their 290X and put on Arctic Silver? :smug:

Any retailers selling this with the Battlefield 4 Combo?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Tab8715 posted:

Who's going to take apart their 290X and put on Arctic Silver? :smug:

Any retailers selling this with the Battlefield 4 Combo?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150675

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202058

They are $580 though...I guess that's better than no bundle at all?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I had finally convinced myself that I wasn't going to jump on the new cards, then I got an email from my fav retailer telling me they had the 290X in stock.

Order status: Processing...

They sold out of all 3 models (Gigabyte, PowerColor, Sapphire) about 1 minute later.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
loving hell Australia gets ripped off. Sapphire 290x for $699. Looks like I'll just keep my 7870Ghz for a while yet.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I'm also really tempted, although not by the reference cards. A powerful cooler will serve this card really well, and by the time they come out we'll know what NV's response is (if any. they don't exactly compete on price much these days).

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai
Welp, guess I'm going to be waiting a week or two for non-reference 290Xs.

I really, REALLY want to get the card right now, but I don't know if I can live with 95C under load. True, I can ramp the fan speeds up to 100%, but then it gets loving loud apparently.

Still, $550. With that kind of performance for that kind of price, AMD knocked it out of the park.

EDIT: Welp, may actually be longer than a week or two if Guru3D is to be believed.

quote:

Bare in mind though that initially only reference boards will be available in the channel, later on in the December time-frame you might see a couple of custom build boards from AIB partners.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 24, 2013

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hardware Canucks measured the R9 290x at 63.6dB under load. Jesus christ.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Guni posted:

loving hell Australia gets ripped off. Sapphire 290x for $699. Looks like I'll just keep my 7870Ghz for a while yet.

699 is the absolute lower limit on what you'd pay for a lovely palit gtx780, so considering the performance difference it seems like pretty good value to me.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

PC Case Gear had the Powercolor 290x for $659 but it sold out rather quickly (it flipped over to Sold Out right as I finished checkout).

Speaking of which, PCCG Order #688962 has now been shipped :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Digital Jesus posted:

PC Case Gear had the Powercolor 290x for $659 but it sold out rather quickly (it flipped over to Sold Out right as I finished checkout).

Speaking of which, PCCG Order #688962 has now been shipped :woop:

The Lord Bude posted:

699 is the absolute lower limit on what you'd pay for a lovely palit gtx780, so considering the performance difference it seems like pretty good value to me.

Yeah, but relative to the US, we get raped every time. I agree that the 290x is way better value than the 780, however it still blows when we're charged $150 more than the US for the exact same product.