Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Ok I'm just now venturing outside the small circle of Wii games I've ever played (Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, DK Country, Kirby) and crazy excited to get into Wii light gun games. I'm giving Target: Terror a shot as well as Ghost Squad because I've heard nothing but good stuff and the youtube videos I've watched make them seem amazing.

I'm going to read up as much as I can on Wii light gun accessories tonight, but does anyone have any they'd recommend? Even better does anyone have any they'd like to sell me? I'm thinking about hitting up ebay or making a generic SA Mart thread asking for anything Wii controller or light gun related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Ghost Squad is a rad game, without any caveat. Target: Terror is... something else! Eugene Jarvis has had an interesting career.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Not to poo poo on your achievement or anything but I don't think Twin Galaxies is much of an authority on Japanese games/scores, so if you haven't already been bombarded by abuse from weird middle-aged Arcadia-loving weirdos who think you're trying to deny the achievements of glorious Nihon you might wanna brace yourself for some of that.

I was hesitant to mention her on my Twitter because I dislike it when people try to downplay someone's achievement, but I publicly congratulated her anyway. Sure enough, I immediately get a reply saying "she didn't, the Japanese score is X".

You still did an amazing thing, Caitlin.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

univbee posted:

krikzz is about to release a major update for the ED64 (he's running a last set of tests before release), however it will only be compatible with the v2 boards; it looks like the v1's are permanently stuck on version 1.29. Here's the change list:

I can't seem to find any info online... How do you check if an N64 is V1 or V2?

Edit: Wait, I'm dumb. You're talking about V1 and V2 boards for the carts.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 24, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
drat I really should have thought about Wii light gun games before I gave mine away. I have the EMS TopGun so everything's okay.

Two things I want:

- Someone's spare PC Engine controller.
- Someone with a PCengineFX forums account to grab the new simplified S-Video mod for a PC Engine. Supposedly there is one that only needs like 3 components to work or taps the 6260 directly.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

ACID POLICE posted:

drat I really should have thought about Wii light gun games before I gave mine away. I have the EMS TopGun so everything's okay.

Two things I want:

- Someone with a PCengineFX forums account to grab the new simplified S-Video mod for a PC Engine. Supposedly there is one that only needs like 3 components to work or taps the 6260 directly.

Today is your lucky day! All you have to do is buy me a PC engine, and I will give you a controller and S-Video mod it with a full trip report!

Act now!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tyson Tomko posted:

I'm going to read up as much as I can on Wii light gun accessories tonight, but does anyone have any they'd recommend? Even better does anyone have any they'd like to sell me? I'm thinking about hitting up ebay or making a generic SA Mart thread asking for anything Wii controller or light gun related.

The Nyko Perfect Shot has got a good feel to it and works really well.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yes! I'll give this a try this weekend and provide a trip report.

To add to it, RetroJunkie did a little further testing on the assembler thread; http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?48413
Seems that decoupling both the regulator and the encoder is necessary, which I find odd since decoupling the encoder alone achieved nothing when you tried it?

He tested with 220uf caps and it works and they both might be testing some lower values. The lower the better, due to potential issues with cold boots.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Dropping back to FreeMcboot talk, why are people going out of their way to find IDE drives which likely have very little life left in them, when you could just got a 2.5" SATA drive and put it in the PS2 with one of these? Seems simpler, though you'd need to shove something in for the drive to sit on.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ACID POLICE posted:

How's the EMS TopGun for PC/MAME stuff? I know someone was ordering one awhile back to test out but I don't remember seeing any trip report or review on it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zari-gani posted:

I was hesitant to mention her on my Twitter because I dislike it when people try to downplay someone's achievement, but I publicly congratulated her anyway. Sure enough, I immediately get a reply saying "she didn't, the Japanese score is X".

You still did an amazing thing, Caitlin.

Thank you for that anyway! It really is a different ballpark, though. It's a different difficulty setting flat out and per the rules I have to go by for my high scores to be recorded I cannot double kill the final boss which is almost certainly part of how that score got farmed so high. The Japanese scores have no screenshots, no video of their run through, have different board settings and have different rules, flat out. It just is. Apples and oranges. Or maybe like two different types of apples? Something.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Caitlin posted:

Apples and oranges. Or maybe like two different types of apples? Something.

I think what you're searching for is Pears and Asian Pears.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Random Stranger posted:

This looks incredible and incredibly affordable thanks!

Acid Police posted:

EMS topgun

Oh yeah I forgot this was brought up several pages back. That thing looks badass and the fact it recoils is too cool for school. Going on the Christmas list for sure.

G-Prime posted:

Dropping back to FreeMcboot talk, why are people going out of their way to find IDE drives which likely have very little life left in them, when you could just got a 2.5" SATA drive and put it in the PS2 with one of these? Seems simpler, though you'd need to shove something in for the drive to sit on.

In my specific situation I just happen to have a few 80-320gb IDE drives for various reasons sitting around that will likely never be used again.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

All this Pc Engine talk has me wanting one now too. I mean I have 2 turbo grafx already so I don't need it to play games on.

I kind of want to repurpose one. I don't need another emulation station (still working on my twin famicom for that) so I dunno what else I could do. I could make a hu-card case that holds an sd card or whatever on my 3d printer that'd keep the hu-card slot functional, but that'd likely mean another raspberry pi based project.

What what what to do?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Tyson Tomko posted:

This looks incredible and incredibly affordable thanks!

The Perfect Shot is great.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

All this Pc Engine talk has me wanting one now too. I mean I have 2 turbo grafx already so I don't need it to play games on.

I kind of want to repurpose one. I don't need another emulation station (still working on my twin famicom for that) so I dunno what else I could do. I could make a hu-card case that holds an sd card or whatever on my 3d printer that'd keep the hu-card slot functional, but that'd likely mean another raspberry pi based project.

What what what to do?

You thinking about selling one of those turbo grafx?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Ok I just impulse bought a Perfect Shot on ebay for $8 and change shipped. It sounds awesome, has a pass through for nunchuk or whatever, lets you get to all buttons on controller if necessary, AND looks badass. I can't wait for this puppy to arrive so I can spray some fools.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tyson Tomko posted:

Ok I just impulse bought a Perfect Shot on ebay for $8 and change shipped. It sounds awesome, has a pass through for nunchuk or whatever, lets you get to all buttons on controller if necessary, AND looks badass. I can't wait for this puppy to arrive so I can spray some fools.

You need two of them for John Woo style action.

House of the Dead: Overkill has a mode specifically for this, too.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

elf help book posted:

The Perfect Shot is great.

Nyko also made the Wand controller which was their 3rd party Wii-remote.

There was a gun-shell that was meant specifically for the Wand that used electrical contacts to make connections to the controller. This was nice because the trigger and and the hammer on the gun were "buttons" mapped to A and B on the controller and didn't use a mechanical linkage like the Perfect Shot.

While the Perfect Shot is a really good gun controller for the WII, the Wand with the gun shell is even better if you can find it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Peenmaster posted:

You thinking about selling one of those turbo grafx?

I listed it up on the 4th or 5th page of the retro gaming trading thread. I think when I listed it then they were going for about $100 complete, but the prices are cyclical and it looks they are going for only $50 or so right now. Pm me and I'm sure we can work something a little better out.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

On the off-chance you're selling the other TG as well (assuming you're planning on grabbing a PCE), I'd be interested in that.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Random Stranger posted:

You need two of them for John Woo style action.

House of the Dead: Overkill has a mode specifically for this, too.

This sounds incredible.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Nyko also made the Wand controller which was their 3rd party Wii-remote.

There was a gun-shell that was meant specifically for the Wand that used electrical contacts to make connections to the controller. This was nice because the trigger and and the hammer on the gun were "buttons" mapped to A and B on the controller and didn't use a mechanical linkage like the Perfect Shot.

While the Perfect Shot is a really good gun controller for the WII, the Wand with the gun shell is even better if you can find it.

I was wondering if there's any way to have a setup that doesn't essentially press the B trigger for you, the actual metal on metal contacts is genius. Maybe I'll get one of these later and have some dual pistol John Woo action. The question would then be which would be in which hand haha.

-- Found a wand/gun combo on the electronic bay for $15 shipped which really isn't too bad. I'll wait and see how the Perfect Shot feels before spending some more of my hard earned cash.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Yoshi's Story GBA prototype always brings a smile to my face.

quote:

Donation run initial plan :
Well, this is for me a hard one to plan as I never did this sort of thing.
But my plan is this :

1. I create a simple site with a PayPal and Bitcoin donation button and status. You may choose what amount you want to donate, there is no minimum.
2. When a certain amount of money has been raised (lets say 400-500 dollars) I distribute an encrypted file with all the game data in it. Sort of a preload.
3. When we reach 800-900 dollars, I release the encryption key to everyone that has donated and the game is released.

This is the epitome of assemblergames. I guess we're lucky that the guy didn't buy up a GD writer and blank GD-Rs so he could start selling copies for a grand each. This is a terrible runaround and convoluted version of "pay me to dump it" hoarder poo poo that ASSEMBLER inspires in people. That dude with the early TJ&E3 has no respect for the Dreamcast scene or he just really needs money.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

zenintrude posted:

Given that it's Splatterhouse, shouldn't it be something like The Duke of Spook?

The Shogun of Splatter: A Mouthful of Misogyny :v:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Silhouette posted:

The Shogun of Splatter: A Mouthful of Misogyny :v:

Wow. Ok I know this doesn't cover a female record holder, but I vote this sans the misogyny part.

The battle for the Shogunate of Splatter resumes Monday.

Ruuuudy!

E: My fc30s were just delivered, can't wait to get home from work now.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 24, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Peenmaster posted:

Today is your lucky day! All you have to do is buy me a PC engine, and I will give you a controller and S-Video mod it with a full trip report!

Act now!

Me? Pay someone to mod a system for me? HAH! I did find out what you need to do on system11, if anyone's curious about doing it themselves. I was conflicted about making the RF jack hole bigger so I could mount a full size DIN 8 and use my doujindance-made RGB cable, or just put a S-Vid jack where the RF was and mount some countersunk RCA jacks next to it for the audio.

I might be turning a couple of SPLATTERHOUSE MASTER'S TG16 pads into PC Engine pads anyway.

quote:

It's pretty simple, you need a 2N3904 transistor, 220 ohm resistor and 0.001 uF capacitor. Solder the base pin of the transistor to pin 40 of the HuC6260, the collector to 5V and the emitter goes to your 220 ohm resistor, which goes to the luma pin of your S-video jack. For chroma, take the composite video signal, put it through the 0.001 uF cap, which then goes to your S-video jack.

iastudent posted:

How's the EMS TopGun for PC/MAME stuff? I know someone was ordering one awhile back to test out but I don't remember seeing any trip report or review on it.

Really good. It even works on the PS2, I played Time Crisis/Crisis Zone and Death Crimson OX with it on a flat-screen. Never used it with a PC or an emulator myself but I know it works.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Thank you for at least confirming this! At this point it seems like the most likely way that scores so high have been achieved in JP. Maybe sometime after the current craziness I'll ask Doc to change the board setting to hard and see how it goes.

So I wanted to confirm for myself what changed in hard mode by loading up a couple of roms. I didn't beat the games but I did get through the first level.

In the TG16 and PCE versions of Splatterhouse, hard mode doubles enemy health. You start with 5 health and 2 lives regardless of difficulty. Hard mode does not increase enemy points, only health.

In the arcade version (world new and Japanese roms tested) the default setting is always 2 lives per credit. Rank A (default) gives you 4 hearts, Rank B (easy) gives you 6, and Rank C (hard) gives you 2. You can change the extend from 30k/70k/50+ to 50k/100k/100+ or nothing. This information corroborates with the Splatterhouse manual. The difficulties do not alter enemy health like the console version.

The console and arcade versions are, as far as I can tell, identical as far as enemy placement and scoring goes (again, only tested first level).

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

ACID POLICE posted:

Me? Pay someone to mod a system for me? HAH!

You misunderstand, I was asking if you wanted to pay me to buy a system for me, and pay for me to mod it for me.

It was a long shot, I know.

Anyway A package from juliuspringle arrived just now!

2 badass Colecovisions, the second biggest AC adapter I've ever seen, an addon so that they can play Atari 2600 Games (Could you imagine if a company did something like that today?) and a Promo VHS for Starfox 64! All thanks to my good buddy juliuspringle!

It's a good thing that the Atari adapter is a thing, because I have a mountain of Atari games, but not a single Colecovision game. Guess it's time to start changing that.

The Atari converter works like a charm, which I honestly wasn't expecting, do to how janky the connection seems to be between these two plastic behemoths. I guess that's by design :iiam:

Can't wait to give these kids a bath and tuck them in with their brothers and sisters.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

G-Prime posted:

I didn't realize these would work, but that's a much better solution, thanks!

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
drat.
I had the headphone jack removed from a broken DMG gameboy because it has that headphone-plugged-in switch in it which I need for installing a regular headphone jack in my GBA SP.
The problem is that the switch works in bloody reverse!

The switch is closed until you plug something in which is the complete opposite of how the GBA SP disables the internal speaker.
:(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

iastudent posted:

Oh yeah, whoops. It works fantastically, although the thumbstick is pretty cheap and hard to operate while the gun is kicking. It has great kick and a laser sight and both can be disabled at any time (has nothing to do with the game) and it can also go full auto.

Way more accurate than my Wii Lightguns. I'm very happy with it. Been playing mostly PS2 Guncon games though, only tested it with MAME to play Area 51 but it worked fine.

Probably the best light gun I've owned. Very satisfied.

Random Stranger posted:

I have this and its one of the better light gun accessories for the Wii. I recommend it highly over just using the Wiimote.

Feels good, good grip, trigger feels good, nice pull. Allows access to buttons on top even while in use. (Necessary for some games, like Ghost Squad) The grip however is very large, since its fit around a wiimote, the dimensions are not right for a pistol grip. It can be slightly uncomfortable over time unless you have large hands. It works fine with all games, is the good news, but the trigger will always push the B button.

I also have:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SQ11NU/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nyko Wand Action Pack

Its a combo 3rd party wiimote + gun controller. Thing is, its DIRT CHEAP. I'm guessing they didn't sell? Seriously, the whole unit is cheaper than a wiimote and you get a solid wiimote out of it. So... wow. Also, because the wiimote is 3rd party, the wiimote actually plugs into the gun instead of just sitting on it like the others do. This means that the trigger doesn't just tap the B button, but electronically signals it. In some ways this has a much better trigger pull. However, the trigger is smaller and has less range of pull than the Perfect Shot, its very "clicky". I'm not as fond. The grip feels great though, its a perfect pistol shape. Also has a button where the hammer of the pistol should be, in the shape of a hammer. And there's a switch on the bottom that lets you swap between trigger A or trigger B, with the hammer getting the other button. Very useful. Also has a passthrough connection for Nunchuck! So this works with most games.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OO8PES/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buck Shot Lock n Load

This is the best thing ever for playing House of the Dead. Sadly, it only really works properly with House of the Dead. I'm trying to remember if it was Overkill or II&III, but it works perfectly with one, and not so well with the other. And completely forget about using ghost squad with this one, there's no access to the buttons other than shoot.

That said, it feels AMAZING. Its like you're playing Carnevil at home. You rack the shotgun to reload, which feels proper. You pull the trigger to shoot, and it has a great trigger feel. Trigger presses B, reloading presses A. There's no changing this. You do not have access to the D-pad or the wiimote while in use however, so Ghost Squad isn't going to work. But it does actually include a nunchuck into the handle of the shotgun, which is a nice touch.

Overall light gun games on the Wii are pretty fun, you can play 2-player (some even 4-player) and there's some classics like LA Machineguns and HOTD, as well as new ones like Umbrella Chronicles. I'd recommend using these accessories, but not other ones. (lots of cheap crap that just holds the wiimote and presses B out there)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 25, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

al-azad posted:

So I wanted to confirm for myself what changed in hard mode by loading up a couple of roms. I didn't beat the games but I did get through the first level.

In the TG16 and PCE versions of Splatterhouse, hard mode doubles enemy health. You start with 5 health and 2 lives regardless of difficulty. Hard mode does not increase enemy points, only health.

In the arcade version (world new and Japanese roms tested) the default setting is always 2 lives per credit. Rank A (default) gives you 4 hearts, Rank B (easy) gives you 6, and Rank C (hard) gives you 2. You can change the extend from 30k/70k/50+ to 50k/100k/100+ or nothing. This information corroborates with the Splatterhouse manual. The difficulties do not alter enemy health like the console version.

The console and arcade versions are, as far as I can tell, identical as far as enemy placement and scoring goes (again, only tested first level).

I appreciate you taking the time to load it up and figure that out, this is valuable information to me! But I'll tell you flat out enemy placement (even level layout) while similar is absolutely not the same, but it could look that way if you only did Lv. 1.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

G-Prime posted:

Depending on what mod you're doing the PS2 has very limited compatibility with a lot of hard drives. I know to do older mods you basically had to buy only the HD's that were the same brand as the official PS2 HD. I think it's probably a carry over from that.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

PS. Love the cabin posted:

drat.
I had the headphone jack removed from a broken DMG gameboy because it has that headphone-plugged-in switch in it which I need for installing a regular headphone jack in my GBA SP.
The problem is that the switch works in bloody reverse!

The switch is closed until you plug something in which is the complete opposite of how the GBA SP disables the internal speaker.
:(

You could always find one of these and wire it up: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/74AHC1G04GW,125/568-2500-1-ND/1023328
5 leads, 1 of which is not connected. VCC, GND, In, Out.

It could be done with one transistor and two resistors but that would probably be larger and messier.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Peenmaster posted:

You misunderstand, I was asking if you wanted to pay me to buy a system for me, and pay for me to mod it for me.

It was a long shot, I know.

OHHHHHHhhhhhhhh sorry dude

Yeah I absolutely will, you can give me money so I can buy everything for you or you can buy the PC Engine and send it here!

I'm gonna try replacing the RF jack on the original white PCE with a Genesis 2/3 style jack though, as it'd fit perfectly (requires no drilling if memory serves right) and hopefully I can even wire it up for both composite and RGB so any Genesis 2/3 cable will work (namely the RGB cables I already own)

If you're gonna make me mod a TG16 though that poo poo has about a million gallons of empty space so I can just throw all the breakouts you want on there.

edit: Also you can get a SATA hard drive adapter from DX for like $40 or you can get the part from some dude in China to let you install it yourself (it replaces that part on the inside with the IDE connector). I bought it, it's still on its way here but it was like $22 shipped and I'll be able to use a 500GB on my PS2 without spending an assload of dollars on some old poo poo drive.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 25, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Depending on what mod you're doing the PS2 has very limited compatibility with a lot of hard drives. I know to do older mods you basically had to buy only the HD's that were the same brand as the official PS2 HD. I think it's probably a carry over from that.

Mostly that was an issue with making the drive fit. If you took apart the network adapter they worked.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
For the record our dude in China just dropped price on the PS2 network adapter SATA thingies by about $5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-adapto...=item2a3240a3a1

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

parasyte posted:

You could always find one of these and wire it up: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/74AHC1G04GW,125/568-2500-1-ND/1023328
5 leads, 1 of which is not connected. VCC, GND, In, Out.

It could be done with one transistor and two resistors but that would probably be larger and messier.

Thanks!
That will work perfectly if I can't find a pair of broken desktop speakers/walkman/anything else.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of China, it's been 2 months and I haven't gotten my EZ whatever I don't even know what it's called anymore. I've been having problems with mail disappearing lately so someone either stole it or it just never came in. Gonna write this $40 off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ACID POLICE posted:

Two things I want:

Converting a tg16 controller into a pce controller is pretty easy. I did it for my TURBOSTICK. The minidin cable is, I think, the same as the old Apple Desktop Bus connector. Whatever it is, they had a shelf space full of them at my local electronics shop. The pinout is here, though I could swear I was looking at a different one when I did it.
http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/turbocont.htm

tl/dr

buy some tg16 controllers and a couple of vintage 8 pin minidin cables and you'll be fine.

• Locked thread