Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I'm a level 10-12 Witch and I'm having an alright time so far. I have to admit that the combat really isn't grabbing me, Diablo 3 (in my opinion) felt so fluid but I feel very clumsy in PoE. Kiting with spells feel clunky because I feel like my character doesn't react quickly when I click to move somewhere. I can face tank a few things since I have some items that give me Energy Shield, so that's nice. It's early on so I expect these things will change. I've like I've been pretty lucky with drops, too, finding yellows that I can use and stuff like that. Going to hoard all my stuff and trade later when I'm less dumb.

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Mondlicht posted:

I'm a level 10-12 Witch and I'm having an alright time so far. I have to admit that the combat really isn't grabbing me, Diablo 3 (in my opinion) felt so fluid but I feel very clumsy in PoE. Kiting with spells feel clunky because I feel like my character doesn't react quickly when I click to move somewhere. I can face tank a few things since I have some items that give me Energy Shield, so that's nice. It's early on so I expect these things will change. I feel like I've been pretty lucky with drops, too, finding yellows that I can use and stuff like that. Going to hoard all my stuff and trade later when I'm less dumb.

I think the the weird Latency is the biggest gripe I have about combat in this game, where I'll stab a Blood Ape, watch it walk away a few feet and THEN witness it explode into ice chunks. When I'm dealing with hordes of monsters the rubberbanding becomes way more noticeable too.

EDIT: Also Goons don't be afraid to take stuff out of the Guild Bank to use and put back in after you're done with it. It's pretty packed full right now of really good yellows for lowbies.

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 24, 2013

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Mondlicht posted:

I'm a level 10-12 Witch and I'm having an alright time so far. I have to admit that the combat really isn't grabbing me, Diablo 3 (in my opinion) felt so fluid but I feel very clumsy in PoE. Kiting with spells feel clunky because I feel like my character doesn't react quickly when I click to move somewhere. I can face tank a few things since I have some items that give me Energy Shield, so that's nice. It's early on so I expect these things will change. I've like I've been pretty lucky with drops, too, finding yellows that I can use and stuff like that. Going to hoard all my stuff and trade later when I'm less dumb.

It gets a lot better. When you get more skills and stuff it really picks up. I promise!

Although the people dying at like level 67 last night in Nemesis has me wondering - how DO you level that fast? I've played off and on since early in the closed beta, and I've never really grasped how people are just blazing through the game.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Anyone have a multistrike gem who is willing to trade it away cheaply? I have almost no currency to speak of. (let me know if there another gem you want).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

whypick1 posted:

Should be do-able in a night, especially if your in a party. Domination might take a little bit longer simply because there will be harder mobs.

For reference, in Nemesis last night, by the time I logged off, the person in first place on the ladder almost go to the end of Act 3 on Merciless, i.e. the end of the game. The game had only been relaunched for 13 hours or so at that point.

Yeah but beta characters were kept on the servers, weren't they? Mine were...

VVVVVVVV Ah, I see. New non-legacy servers.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 24, 2013

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
This was Nemesis, one of the new leagues, so these were brand new characters.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I now aspire to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk0Ga4Ztze0

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You aspire to talk like John Wayne? :v:

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

Although the people dying at like level 67 last night in Nemesis has me wondering - how DO you level that fast? I've played off and on since early in the closed beta, and I've never really grasped how people are just blazing through the game.

It really just takes practice. Knowing when you should push forward and when to farm. Planning out your build for a good balance of damage and defense. Other than that, using alts/trans/augs wisely really helps. If you know what weapon bases to look for to help your specific build, you really don't need that good of RNG.

One thing I think is really cool about racing is that many of the same people win EVERY time. Proving that skill goes a lot further than RNG. Watch Helmann or somebody on Twitch during one of the 1-3 hour solo races.

They also never idle in town for more than like 10 seconds, which is pretty amazing considering a lot of them play for 12+ hours straight. During the 1 week races, the winners will usually have 4-5 days of online time.

10bux fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 25, 2013

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
People race/speedrun this game all the time, and they've been doing it for quite some time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Does Endurance Charge on Melee Stun work with Spectral Throw?

That's pretty much going to decide between Axe or Mace for me.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Vasudus posted:

If you look at the top of the gem description for spectral throw it says it's a projectile. They are usually very literal when it comes to skill interaction so I don't think it would count as melee stuns. Some one feel free to prove me wrong though.
I remember being really confused about what counts as what when I started playing, I learned it usually comes down to the gem discription.

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 25, 2013

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I'm like 10 minutes into playing this for the first time, are there any "town portal" like scrolls/abilities?

Or, is this not a "gather/sell loot to buy more loot" type game, is it all drops modified by the 'currencies' in the OP?

How else do you get those currencies, if not for selling loot? (inventory seems too small)

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I'm fairly certain it won't work, since keywords on a support gem have to match for the effect to work. ECoMS is "attack, melee, support", while spectral throw is "attack, projectile". If it was "attack, melee, projectile" (if that's even possible), then it would work.
I'm not sure though, the keyword system isn't always 100% consistent with what does and doesn't match up.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mr. nobody posted:

I'm like 10 minutes into playing this for the first time, are there any "town portal" like scrolls/abilities?

Or, is this not a "gather/sell loot to buy more loot" type game, is it all drops modified by the 'currencies' in the OP?

How else do you get those currencies, if not for selling loot? (inventory seems too small)

Yes there are portal scrolls, and of course there are drops as normal. The currencies are just to try to make loot better, or make it faster, at a cost.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Hey, this game is launched now! Neat. I have a 43 templar and a teen ranger. Where is a good place to see good builds? I am a huge nerd and I want to plan out my FF7 sphere grid before I start up again.

I know it is a real pain to undo a grid and I don't have the free time to just re-roll once I realise I am bad and I have a character who dies constantly and does no damage.

That helicopter looks like it is badass to play.

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012
What's a normal amount of notable passives to expect to be able to use?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

What skill is that spin attack and how the hell is he teleporting like a DBZ character on a killing spree?

I remember leaping around in Act 2 during beta to draw dozens of enemies together and then AOE them on my old Marauder. Not nearly as amazing as that but still good times. :unsmith:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

What skill is that spin attack and how the hell is he teleporting like a DBZ character on a killing spree?

I remember leaping around in Act 2 during beta to draw dozens of enemies together and then AOE them on my old Marauder. Not nearly as amazing as that but still good times. :unsmith:

Cyclone, Leap Slam and Flicker Strike, probably all augmented with Faster Attacks.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
^^^ multistrike linked with faster attacks and any melee attack, especially leap slam or flicker strike, is what makes you teleport around like a madman.

Ronald Nixon posted:

What's a normal amount of notable passives to expect to be able to use?

90ish is about where you are at level 70, which is pretty easy to get too. Anymore after that are going to be a little more tedious. Although, with the xp changes you no longer have to run maps at certain point, so progressing past won't be nearly as bad. Most people, "finish" their build using about 100-105 points. This will put you around 80, when the maps start getting hard. Anything after that should just be little things, like more damage or life.

10bux fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 25, 2013

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
God drat this game is pretty overwhelming with all of these skills. Started as a ranger and am currently at level 5. I figured the rangers were the bow users but it looks like I can go with some melee too. Is there any reason to use bow and have, say daggers also equipped that I can swap to?

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Soarer posted:

God drat this game is pretty overwhelming with all of these skills. Started as a ranger and am currently at level 5. I figured the rangers were the bow users but it looks like I can go with some melee too. Is there any reason to use bow and have, say daggers also equipped that I can swap to?

Not really. It's better to just pick one thing and stick with it. Mainly because the passive points are allocated towards either projectile damage or melee damage (or spell damage, etc) and you don't want to be grabbing both. Try playing in groups, see what other people are using and maybe something will catch your eye. "Hey that looks cool!" Then go on the forums and try to find a build based around whatever they were using.

Laksa
Sep 25, 2012
Really liking the game again; 60% mana reserve for some auras have made obsolete most of my previous builds :(. Is there a SA poe guild i could join? http://steamcommunity.com/id/superbuns/

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Soarer posted:

No reason NOT to (in fact you'll want things in your alternate weapon slots to put spare gems in so they can get levels while you play) but where you'll get spread thin is on quest rewards and on passive tree enhancements - its hard to build a character that is "good" at both.

That said a lot of people say that for your first character you should just do what looks cool and treat it as a learning experience, so if you follow that line of thought* then try both for as long as the game lets you.

*my first character was a cold witch that was a disaster, I just took every damage node I saw and flamed out roughly in A1 cruel. I read a guide for my 2nd character, did much better with that one.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I managed to play for the first time tonight and fought a thing called Cryptrot the Destroyer. :black101:

I am pretty happy with this game.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Am I getting this right: "move to cursor without attacking" takes up a skill slot? It's not a simple, separate feature as in pretty much any other modern game of this sort? :psyduck:

On the other hand, I just received what looks to be a "totally not Charged Bolt" gem, and that is pretty neat because occasionally I still yearn for my D2C CB sorc. If I can get this to work... :unsmith:

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I can't get excited about any of the keystone passives. What should a fire witch look for? Even Avatar of Fire seems dumb. It seems like you can have a good build without any of them.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
If you're not targeting a monster with a skill key, you're going to move to that location, though. With MOST skills. If you're using totems, traps et al, then yeah, that's not going to work. Generally though, people will put something on left-click as an attack that allows them to move.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Am i able to do some kind of blood-witch? In which i steal a lot of life from my enemies, and also raise zombies? I do like the "blood mage" passive, im thinking about doing something with that.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm sort of doing a glass cannon Duellist build, I guess.

Mainly focusing on duel wielding swords. I'm not entirely sure if Reave is the most effective skill I can use with swords, but it seems to get the job done. I've been focusing a bit on life leech and with Reave, as long as there's a bunch of enemies infront of me, and I have mana, I can't really die due to the rather crazy attack speed and life regeneration.

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012

10bux posted:

^^^ multistrike linked with faster attacks and any melee attack, especially leap slam or flicker strike, is what makes you teleport around like a madman.

90ish is about where you are at level 70, which is pretty easy to get too. Anymore after that are going to be a little more tedious. Although, with the xp changes you no longer have to run maps at certain point, so progressing past won't be nearly as bad. Most people, "finish" their build using about 100-105 points. This will put you around 80, when the maps start getting hard. Anything after that should just be little things, like more damage or life.

The notable ones, keystone or whatever they are called, I mean. Of the 80, how many will actually be interesting?

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED
If I make a character in the domination league, will they be moved to standard once the league ends, or will they be erased?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Pankratos posted:

If I make a character in the domination league, will they be moved to standard once the league ends, or will they be erased?

Character + shared stash will be moved to Standard once Domination ends.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Having a lot of fun with this marauder guy, spamming aoe's with my huge yellow hammer.

Much more satisfying than spamming poison arrow + split arrow on my ranger.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ddraig posted:

I'm sort of doing a glass cannon Duellist build, I guess.

Mainly focusing on duel wielding swords. I'm not entirely sure if Reave is the most effective skill I can use with swords, but it seems to get the job done. I've been focusing a bit on life leech and with Reave, as long as there's a bunch of enemies infront of me, and I have mana, I can't really die due to the rather crazy attack speed and life regeneration.

You can use reave with two weapons, but it doesn't do any extra damage or anything. It only interacts with your main hand weapon. Its a decent skill (that really needs multistrike) to use one handed with a shield.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Ronald Nixon posted:

The notable ones, keystone or whatever they are called, I mean. Of the 80, how many will actually be interesting?

It's really impossible to say, it just depends on the build. I'd say the average is maybe 2-3ish? I'm playing Rain of Arrows and I'll be using 5: Iron Reflexes, Resolute Technique, Point Blank, Unwavering Stance, and Iron Grip.

They kinda come in combos, some builds may only use 1, but like my build, or a CI build will use a lot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there some kind of syncing issue in this game right now? I miss an awful lot of attacks, and it's hard to tell if that's statistic or because I'm not where I think I am. Do ranged/casters have this problem?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 25, 2013

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

Is there some kind of syncing issue in this game right now? I miss an awful lot of attacks, and it's hard to tell if that's statistic or because I'm not where I think I am. Do ranged/casters have this problem?

I'm hearing people are lagging a bit due to the server stress, but PoE does have issues with desync in general. Next time it happens type in /oos. If your character moves then its desync, if not than its just lag. Ranged dudes usually have a better time with it since they aren't so close to the action.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well, that's annoying. Maybe I want to make a ranged character instead, I don't exactly have time to <enter>/oos<enter> when the poo poo is going really wrong. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The game will automatically re-sync periodically and will specifically re-sync when certain things happen, like your character getting stunned, but yeah its a lovely quirk that you sort of have to learn to play around.

• Locked thread