Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
You guys crack me up every time, so offended by boobies on your figures.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Ravendas posted:

Trying to figure out if that's a not-yet-finished model, as it looks unfinished.

Edit: What I mean, is that the shell, head, underbelly, everything looks great, then X's all over the untextured legs.

quote:

Michael Lawler 36 minutes ago
@Reaper ...
Also, are the land shark's legs finalized? Several of us noticed that the level of detail on the legs didn't match that of the rest of the model..

Reaper Miniatures 35 minutes ago
@Michael - no, the Burrowing Horrors legs are being re-done now, actually. We shot it before it was technically ready

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

/\/\ Awesome. /\/\

More bases!

So that makes 50x 1", 20x 2" and 10x 3".

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Weirdo posted:

Some vocal fans have been clamoring for nude models to make sure the 'feminists' don't 'win'.

I've developed a taste for gross nerd misogyny lately, so I would love a link to some examples of this.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Before I start, please understand that I'm not attempting to justify anything, just sharing what I'm aware of:

To my knowledge; several things contribute to Reaper including half-dressed and/or nude models in their line-up. From what I can tell it is an effort to accommodate all of their customers / fans on some level while continuing to maximize sales.

Here and there I've gotten a glimpse into the process and it boils down to a little bit of science (sales figures), a little bit of public opinion (they listen to feedback) and a little bit of an internal gut check (internal to Reaper). What outweighs what I couldn't say.

For example, the succubus pictured below started without the loincloth but was revised before going on sale:

Regarding the 72mm Fantasy Sophie: The original Urban Legend figure wasn't for sale. It was an advanced dolly that got sent to the sculptor for further additions. However, a picture or two got out and Reaper got tons of requests for it.... the rest is history. It was a fairly big seller. For a while, the Urban Legend figures really got going. There was even a gag-gift male Urban Legend blister pack, but... it didn't really have a nude male figure and I don't remember anyone actually saying they wanted to purchase it. It stayed a gag gift (It was/is Magnus the vampire hunter wrapped in opaque blue plastic in a blister that is labelled "Urban Legend Magnus" or something like that.

From what I've heard, within Reaper's lines, the female form is simply more popular than the male form.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Short of the Kingdom Death stuff, is there even anyone making well sculpted half-naked females? So many have busted faces or wrong leg/body proportions with huge lips. The female barbarian in particular seems to have some dwarf-like features. Is that because the real pros have some backbone and wont do it? Obviously people are asking for it, otherwise this crap wouldnt sell well.

It seems like a difficult choice for a business. Is the moral high ground really worth the missed sales when the objective is to make money?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 25, 2013

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I remember the first time I looked at Reaper minis. I was at DLI, trying to get a game together, and I decided to look at the pewter minis (I'd only collected DDM prepaints before that). First one I saw on the wall was Brigitte, Naughty French Maid. It was so absurdly sexist, I decided that I was better off staying with prepaints, if that's the sort of thing they made.

I later found out that most of Reaper's minis aren't that bad. They still have a fair amount of bikini armor, boobplate, and bared midriffs, but they're better than other companies. Doesn't mean they're blameless, though, and I definitely support efforts to get them to do less of that.

But as G said, they ultimately do it because that's what sells.

A few years ago, Talin and Sandra Garrity (concept artist and sculptor respectively) collaborated on a fairly decent mini, a female templar. Reasonably sensible armor, no boobplate, no boob window. Sword upraised, ready for adventure. You can see it here.

During its tenure, it was one of Reaper's worst-selling models. It received all sorts of complaints. "Her breasts are too small." "She looks like a boy." "How can you even tell it's a girl?" It was stupid, but at the same time, Reaper can't sell what people won't buy.

However, things have gotten somewhat better. Especially in the Bones line, Reaper's models aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. And models like Ava are now selling a lot better. For about two years, now, she's been ranking significantly higher. People who aren't creepos are getting into the hobby more, and people who are are at least giving more thought to who else is at the gaming table.

Anyway, my point here is that they'll ultimately go with what people buy. If you want more of the cool, non-sexist models, then buy those, and encourage other people to do so.

Reaper listens to its customers. But the primary way it listens to them is through sales figures.

EDIT: Also, someone pointed out something, and I think it's the biggest issue I have with the pair. Not the nudity so much (it's fairly low-key, and at least barbarians are expected to be underclad), but the poses. You see it in a lot of male-female pairs, like the giants from last Kickstarter. The male is getting ready to take care of business, ax out, spoiling for a fight. The female is leaning back, relaxed with her weapon, standing barefoot. He's ready to kick rear end, while she's decorative. I think I could live with the bare breast if she at least looked like she was ready to beat the crap out of someone.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 25, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

neongrey posted:

Going by how a character name changed afterwards, I wonder how much of that issue came from the snakegirl formerly known as Yuan-Tiffany, because yuan-ti are 'product identity'.

Difficult to tell all the details, but I'm pretty sure it originated around his plush rusty the rust monster kickstarter, actually.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
So just to check, can I raise my pledge after it finishes and everything has been revealed? Or do I need to make sure I get my pledge to the correct amount and chuck everything in the pledge calculator before the deadline?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
You can up your pledge after, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg - if you up your ledge before more things are unlocked :)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Well there goes any hope of me buying expansion #2 even if I want the smoke demons and angels (especially the weeping angels). The rest? Meh.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

Well there goes any hope of me buying expansion #2 even if I want the smoke demons and angels (especially the weeping angels). The rest? Meh.

I'm the opposite. I must have that minotaur demon thing!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

LumberingTroll posted:

I am far from offended by the human(ish) form, I'm a goddamn nurse. What makes me throw it away is the fact that the sculpt is exploitive in nature. She is just sitting there with her foot on a rock like Captain Morgan with a random breast exposed. If you had breasts you would realize any self-respecting barbarian princess would wear a sportsbra at the very least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

So, for fifty bucks we get:

5 angels
4 infantry
3 cavalry/shadow demons
2 tentacles/statues
And a Demon Minotaur Lord and Dracolisk in a pear treeeeeee~

LumberingTroll posted:

If the dude is rocking it shirtless, why does the female barbarian have half her boobs covered instead of all or nothing? And it's less "oh no boobies" you boob, and more "can we at least have a woman barbarian built like a barbarian in a barbarian pose and not a loving sears catalog posture", I'd like the literal barbarian woman to be in a battle stance for once!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just wish that Angel of Protection wasn't carrying a toddler. Makes it kinda weird.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Ok, I wasn't hot on expansion #2 but that demon minotaur is sexay. I hope they let us buy individual minis from the expansions.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bucnasti posted:

Ok, I wasn't hot on expansion #2 but that demon minotaur is sexay. I hope they let us buy individual minis from the expansions.

They won't, they said in the comments every time it came up that they won't. They say you have to wait for retail. Otherwise, a ton of myconids would be mine.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I'm interested in the angels and the columns but that's not $50 worth to me. :(

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

thespaceinvader posted:

Difficult to tell all the details, but I'm pretty sure it originated around his plush rusty the rust monster kickstarter, actually.

That's what attracted the attention, sure, but given the plushies got fulfilled (and are adorable) and are still available, I think, if there's any stock left, I suspect that's where the actual problem was.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ravendas posted:

They say you have to wait for retail.

Seriously, gently caress these expansions.

E: I obviously don't know what they'd kickstarter cost a la carte, but I estimate about $60 in stuff I'd want spread across $150 in expansions.

moths fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 25, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Well, yeah, the problem was that they sicced a lawyer on a thing that they had no business siccing a lawyer on, then found cause later. It could all have been settled much more amicably, and I think it put the frighteners on anyone else playing explicitly with Wizards IP.

Also, that Baphomet. It is nice. It's kind of a shame, really, that I don't wildly want much from that expansion. I'll discuss the possibility with Krush though.

I'm at the stage where other than the bits I'm getting from core with krush, I'm probbaly just going to buy bits from the expansions retail or resale rather than try to get them in the KS.

Overall, I think the expansions were a decent idea, but they could have done with being a bit more focussed in order to make people want to buy them. The scifi one is cool, but there's not enough to it. But if there's been one with all the big and small demons, for instance, I'd probably have been right on board with that.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

thespaceinvader posted:

Well, yeah, the problem was that they sicced a lawyer on a thing that they had no business siccing a lawyer on, then found cause later. It could all have been settled much more amicably, and I think it put the frighteners on anyone else playing explicitly with Wizards IP.

Also, that Baphomet. It is nice. It's kind of a shame, really, that I don't wildly want much from that expansion. I'll discuss the possibility with Krush though.

I'm at the stage where other than the bits I'm getting from core with krush, I'm probbaly just going to buy bits from the expansions retail or resale rather than try to get them in the KS.

Overall, I think the expansions were a decent idea, but they could have done with being a bit more focussed in order to make people want to buy them. The scifi one is cool, but there's not enough to it. But if there's been one with all the big and small demons, for instance, I'd probably have been right on board with that.

If there was a "scary undead bad guys" expansions, I'd be so in on it. But I'm thankful that they opened up for buying separate parts of the core, which means that I can get some nice undead stuff from it without buying the entire core.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

LumberingTroll posted:

Special reminder and a thanks to everyone who didn't bite at this.

- You are allowed to talk about the minis. You are allowed to like or dislike things on the minis. I don't care if it is a gun, a boob, feet, whatever. I honestly don't care about anyone's actual opinion on minis.

- Don't post about posting. No one cares what you think is an appropriate opinion to have. If something is bad, report it.

- If someone is doing something wrong, report it.

Like:

djfooboo posted:

I am far from offended by the human(ish) form, I'm a goddamn nurse. What makes me throw it away is the fact that the sculpt is exploitive in nature. She is just sitting there with her foot on a rock like Captain Morgan with a random breast exposed. If you had breasts you would realize any self-respecting barbarian princess would wear a sportsbra at the very least.

This guy right here? Talking about the mini. Has actual opinions on the sculpt. This is fine.

LumberingTroll posted:

This guy? Could not even be arsed to voice an opinion on the figure. None of the post before this were remotely reportable, and there were only a few of them.

SinetheGuy posted:

I've developed a taste for gross nerd misogyny lately, so I would love a link to some examples of this.

Yeah you can keep these links out of the thread and take them elsewhere. This is the reaper minis discussion thread, for discussing the minis. If you want to roister around with stuff people find objectionable hie thee to grogs.txt, if you want to discuss what is appropriate to the industry or what should be allowed or whatever, take that to the industry discussion thread. There is a place for all of these things, it is just not here.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Interesting that Baphomet appears to be a render. Are they experimenting with making a prototype via 3D printing and making the mould off that, maybe?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Stephenls posted:

Interesting that Baphomet appears to be a render. Are they experimenting with making a prototype via 3D printing and making the mould off that, maybe?

It's something like 1. Sculptor sculpts figure out of green stuff or whatever. 2. Super scanner for computer image. 3. Send that file to China to make molds.

It's how we got Kaladrax to be so ridiculously huge. There was a mixup somewhere, and what was supposed to be the width became the height or some such, so the molds got scaled up.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I'm glad we get to see all of expansion 2, sadly I don't like much of expansion 2. Now I would like to see all of expansion 3 so I can hate it too. (I hope I won't hate it, but beyond the first terrain parts I haven't liked its additions).

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ravendas posted:

It's something like 1. Sculptor sculpts figure out of green stuff or whatever. 2. Super scanner for computer image. 3. Send that file to China to make molds.

It's how we got Kaladrax to be so ridiculously huge. There was a mixup somewhere, and what was supposed to be the width became the height or some such, so the molds got scaled up.

Oh man is that why it costs seventy freaking dollars? That sucks. (And is also kinda great.)

Baphomet looks like it was created as a render first, though. The lines are so clean and sharp.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Stephenls posted:

Oh man is that why it costs seventy freaking dollars? That sucks. (And is also kinda great.)

You have to wonder if they have sold any post KickStarter.

"You know what I need a dragon mini that is so large it can't even fit on my shelf. Maybe I can convince the wife to use it as a centerpiece for Thanksgiving?"
_____/
:chord:

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

So, for fifty bucks we get:

5 angels
4 infantry
3 cavalry/shadow demons
2 tentacles/statues
And a Demon Minotaur Lord and Dracolisk in a pear treeeeeee~

This. That's 21 minis for $50, most of which I don't want. I'll wait for retail.

And definitely agreed on the barbarian woman. It's actually not the T&A I mind so much as the pose (as for the giants last time). I want the characters to be posed appropriately, damnit. And when I want to play a badass female character I want them to be a badass. Posing them as if their weapons are fashion accessories is IMO more offensive than the female bard, the strumpet, or even the sacrifice on the altar from Bones 1. Objectified female minatures that are in roles meant to be objectified are understandable if not great. But objectified minatures that are meant to look powerful are a bait and switch and say that there's no room to not be objectified.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Actually, Baphomet is probably a render. The not-balor in the demon lords is also a render. Reaper is experimenting with digital sculpting.

Interestingly, so was Kaladrax, originally. He was one of their first experiments with digital sculpting. However, he did have a bit of an odd route. First he as sculpted digitally. Then he was 3d-printed, and an artist did some final detail work on him with greenstuff. Then he was scanned in again and sent to the mold-making people, along with scans of all of their other minis, which is where the scaling issue happened. Seven inches long turned into seven inches tall. However, given that all the sculpts existed as digital files at that point, it could have happened to any miniature.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Speaking of Kaladrax, I've been thinking of using his base for terrain - it just occured to me that I can probably get a whole table of terrain out of his remains.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

moths posted:

Speaking of Kaladrax, I've been thinking of using his base for terrain - it just occured to me that I can probably get a whole table of terrain out of his remains.

Wow, now that is an amazing idea! I am curious to paint all of him (in one piece) but tbh I have tons of other dragons so I probably won't miss him as a huge display piece really. I didn't actually see the scaling problem explained before, so that's a bit 'wow' and must be part of that stupid tax mentioned by Reaper before.

I've lowered my pledge but after adding in everything I want and adding shipping I'm almost back up to it again :v:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Fauxtool posted:

Short of the Kingdom Death stuff, is there even anyone making well sculpted half-naked females? So many have busted faces or wrong leg/body proportions with huge lips. The female barbarian in particular seems to have some dwarf-like features. Is that because the real pros have some backbone and wont do it? Obviously people are asking for it, otherwise this crap wouldnt sell well.

It seems like a difficult choice for a business. Is the moral high ground really worth the missed sales when the objective is to make money?

Unfortunately, I think the answer is 'No'. The best that I can recall seeing were the Kelt Sessairs produced by Rackham for Confrontation. Those were generally high quality sculpts with good proportions, but they still suffered from issues of posing that we're seeing here. I think the core problem is that most people that produce this type of model are producing it for a cheesecake market, and people who don't want to do that are generally so put off by the overall market that they simply make other things (like the female knight posted earlier).

One of the better examples is probably GW's Repentia squad. They are barely dressed, but the sculpting isn't notably bad (it suffers from the trademark 'heroic' issues that haunt the whole line, and they get off better than Catachans). Importantly, they are posed like they are actually planning to wreck people with giant swords, rather than trying to sell one to you.

The thing is, reaper is entirely capable of producing female miniatures that look like they're prepared to kick rear end (like this one). It just seems to not overlap with the underclad group for, what I assume, are sales reasons.

Edit: I just remembered that Privateer also produces some pretty good barbarian-women miniatures in their Circle line that have good sculpting and look like they are going to put down some hurt. Privateer is actually pretty good on this scale, with the offenses usually limited to 'combat heels' stuff.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 25, 2013

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Hmm. From the email:

quote:

You DID it! You've unlocked The Third part of Expansion Pack 2 - The Smoky Purple Translucent miniatures!

Now we're going to try to unlock the Fourth part!

*snip image*

The Huge Demon Lord of Minotaurs, A Large Dracolisk, a Large Frog Demon, and a violently beautiful pair of Caryatid Columns - one subtle, one deadly!

They seem to be implying there's still more to Expansion 2 after the caryatids and slaad. Two more parts, going by the image on the KS page.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Another thing for the core:

It fits on a 1" base they said.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Aww, a widdle baby basilisk.

I've gotta admit: expansion #2 looks a lot better to me now. It's largely that huge fuckoff minotaur god, but frog demon, dracolisk, weeping angels, smokey purple stuff, and caryatids are all things I also want. The horsemen I was on the fence about, but they're one of those things where with enough other stuff in the set that I want, I'd be happy paying for those as well. Town guard are also always nice. Which basically leaves the non-weeping angels as the only downside, and I kinda like those too, the deva in particular. Shoot, I might have to get that set after all.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Are those "24 bonus figures" (4 gnolls, mummies, etc) available in any of the a la carte options or only in the $100 core set?

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I wonder what the scale of the Minotaur Lord is. He looks pretty awesome.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

head58 posted:

Are those "24 bonus figures" (4 gnolls, mummies, etc) available in any of the a la carte options or only in the $100 core set?

They're only part of the core set. That's why they're a bonus, for ordering the core.

Also for Exp2, those caryatid columns at the bottom are really a before/after. Before/After activation of the golem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The +24 are only in the core set, because you can also buy all those models at retail already. They're from Bones 1 or before, just bonus bones models they're throwing in.

• Locked thread