Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

Ralith posted:

Check out the houseliaoactual mumble (see OP) around 7 EST most days, IIRC.

Wait what? Not the Camping The Stairs mumble? Which btw is mentioned in the steam group, and here.

[edit] Yeah, it's going to be complicated. Including daylight saving time, EST is -4 GMT, and Finland is +3 GMT. That's a nice 7 hour difference, which means that I should be up around 2am.
[edit2] Derp, that's for 7PM. If you actually mean 7AM, then that's better.. but like that's gonna happen :v:

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

JointHorse posted:

Wait what? Not the Camping The Stairs mumble? Which btw is mentioned in the steam group, and here.

[edit] Yeah, it's going to be complicated. Including daylight saving time, EST is -4 GMT, and Finland is +3 GMT. That's a nice 7 hour difference, which means that I should be up around 2am.
[edit2] Derp, that's for 7PM. If you actually mean 7AM, then that's better.. but like that's gonna happen :v:

Nope, 7PM, sorry. Better luck on weekends maybe?

The OP is the most up to date resource and goons are terrible at maintaining redundant information.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
For any Euro goons starving for games, I've played with this group for a while now. The admin is a bit weird, but in general the group has been pretty fun so far. They have a really relaxed attitude so you won't get anybody getting really angry about obeying exact radio protocol or maintaining perfect lines and so on, but of course conversely the quality of teamwork varies quite a bit with dudes sometimes just going off to do whatever or not communicating at all.

They play on the stable branch using the ACRE radio mod. I've recorded some gameplay videos if you want to check out our stuff before trying it yourself, but of course we sometimes have bad times as well and those I don't upload, leaving out the missions where we end up waiting for 40min while the attacking team circles around really far so we win by time limit, or the times we end up having to run ACRE tech support for a newbie or two for half an hour after the games were supposed to start.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Sniper Party posted:

For any Euro goons starving for games, I've played with this group for a while now. The admin is a bit weird, but in general the group has been pretty fun so far. They have a really relaxed attitude so you won't get anybody getting really angry about obeying exact radio protocol or maintaining perfect lines and so on, but of course conversely the quality of teamwork varies quite a bit with dudes sometimes just going off to do whatever or not communicating at all.

They play on the stable branch using the ACRE radio mod. I've recorded some gameplay videos if you want to check out our stuff before trying it yourself, but of course we sometimes have bad times as well and those I don't upload, leaving out the missions where we end up waiting for 40min while the attacking team circles around really far so we win by time limit, or the times we end up having to run ACRE tech support for a newbie or two for half an hour after the games were supposed to start.

Ah thanks for this. I'm based in the UK and you guys could be just what I'm looking for.

Only managed 2 player co-op thus far and my friend and I are having a blast on the current port of the Escape Chernarus mission to Altis.
It's still a little buggy in places and we haven't yet completed it but boy have we had some great firefights even against the AI.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

DnA posted:

24-10-2013
EXE rev. 111518
Size: ~326 MB

• Added: Campaign episode “Survive”
    • Please consider carefully whether you’d like to test this version here now - or would rather wait for the release on Oct 31.
    • There are known issues related to weapon persistence while progressing through the episode. We are mostly interested in issues related to progression at this stage (e.g. getting stuck entirely).
    • Known issue: inconsistencies between (English) subtitles and voice-overs
  • Added: 3 new music “Survive” tracks
  • Fixed: Missing tasks for clients Joined In Progress with disabled AI in Headhunters and both Escape missions
  • Fixed: Duplicated class names in music selection list
  • Added: New UI icon for DMS optics
  • Fixed: Repair icon position
  • AI turret control improved
  • Save / Load while reloading doesn't break the game anymore. Older saves might not work correctly
Non-spoiler synopsis on the campaign:

quote:

THE EAST WIND
You are Corporal Ben Kerry - an infantryman deployed to Stratis as part of a Mediterranean peace-keeping effort.
  • NATO is reducing its presence in the Republic of Altis and Stratis.
  • Several years of uneasy cease-fire have led to a staged draw down of troops in the area.
  • The resulting power vacuum is quickly filled by CSAT forces.
  • Tensions rise and you find yourself in the middle of an escalating situation.
Oddly enough, there's no "Play" button just yet for it... double-click on "SURVIVE" in the campaign menu instead.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 24, 2013

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chortles posted:

Non-spoiler synopsis on the campaign:
Oddly enough, there's no "Play" button just yet for it... double-click on "SURVIVE" in the campaign menu instead.

I needed more time than it should be to guess how the gently caress start the campaign...

BTW, the 1st campaign is eight missions, with separate intermissions for loadout change and briefing if you want to know how long will be the game. Supposing the other two parts will have similar length, of course.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
How do I do the new stances or whatever that's like sitting on one's side or whatever?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hold your stance adjust button (ctrl by default I think), push a direction key.

W/S cycles through height, A/D leans left or right respectively.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turin Turambar posted:

I needed more time than it should be to guess how the gently caress start the campaign...

BTW, the 1st campaign is eight missions, with separate intermissions for loadout change and briefing if you want to know how long will be the game. Supposing the other two parts will have similar length, of course.

That sounds like it's going to be pretty long. I genuinely hope 'Survive' has a wasteland-like section where it's you v. Tons of dudes and you have to make your way to escape.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Acquire Currency! posted:

That sounds like it's going to be pretty long. I genuinely hope 'Survive' has a wasteland-like section where it's you v. Tons of dudes and you have to make your way to escape.

I hope it doesn't because wasteland is boring as poo poo with every second server running it 24/7

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tokit posted:

I hope it doesn't because wasteland is boring as poo poo with every second server running it 24/7

Mmmmm yeah. Good point. Maybe have it more focused?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

The Eagle Wing ArmA 2 mini-expansion or whatever it was called had that as its second mission and it wasn't as good as it sounds on paper.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha, well. I guess I won't try to argue against something that's already been proven :v:!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The Eagle Wing ArmA 2 mini-expansion or whatever it was called had that as its second mission and it wasn't as good as it sounds on paper.
Pretty sure the original OFP had a mission like that too.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

NATO-GOAT R.O.E.
  • DO NOT FEED THE GOATS
  • DO NOT TOUCH THE GOATS
  • DO NOT GO NEAR THE GOATS
  • DO NOT DO WHAT PVT. NELSON DID TO THE GOATS
  • DO NOT ENRAGE THE GOATS
GOAT-OCALYPSE 2035!!!
:staredog:

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

tooterfish posted:

Pretty sure the original OFP had a mission like that too.

There was 'After Montignac', which was the seminal OFP experience that everyone wishes they could play again for the first time. Except that now that you know the nature of the game so well, it just comes down to a load of AI converging on your position. It was highly tense and atmospheric, highly focused on the context of the campaign story (remember those days, Bohemia?), and around the time of OFP a lot of players perhaps were still excited by the sheer scale and immersion of the world. Now, you've seen it all and you know large swathes of the island are deserted and you're safe as long as you get to them.

There was one later where you're a shot down pilot and have to escape in the dead of night using the stars for navigation.

Oh, OFP... :allears:

Sulman fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 25, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, played through the "Survive" campaign using Dev Branch. Not bad I guess. The only really frustrating part was when you had to use a mortar support with only 8 rounds to try to bullseye 3 smallish targets. However the mission keeps going even if you fail that, so its no biggie.

The end of the final mission where you're running about 600m through hills while annoyingly accurate heavy mortars rain down on you and CSAT paradrop into your path was kind of crazy and awesome, if a bit lethal, had to restart several times. Then again the CSAT got hit by the mortars a few times themselves, so I guess I can't complain. Overall the final mission was a good intro for the CSAT, though they really shouldn't have just had those gunships flying around low around you for scare factor or whatever, I kept expecting one to annihilate me at any moment.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, played through the "Survive" campaign using Dev Branch. Not bad I guess. The only really frustrating part was when you had to use a mortar support with only 8 rounds to try to bullseye 3 smallish targets. However the mission keeps going even if you fail that, so its no biggie.

The end of the final mission where you're running about 600m through hills while annoyingly accurate heavy mortars rain down on you and CSAT paradrop into your path was kind of crazy and awesome, if a bit lethal, had to restart several times. Then again the CSAT got hit by the mortars a few times themselves, so I guess I can't complain. Overall the final mission was a good intro for the CSAT, though they really shouldn't have just had those gunships flying around low around you for scare factor or whatever, I kept expecting one to annihilate me at any moment.

That doesn't sound too bad and seems more like the old flashpoint campaigns, no matter what people say about going to CoD for some single player. I'm looking forward to getting a computer that can run this game well and playing the hell out of it.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Sulman posted:

There was 'After Montignac', which was the seminal OFP experience that everyone wishes they could play again for the first time. Except that now that you know the nature of the game so well, it just comes down to a load of AI converging on your position. It was highly tense and atmospheric, highly focused on the context of the campaign story (remember those days, Bohemia?), and around the time of OFP a lot of players perhaps were still excited by the sheer scale and immersion of the world. Now, you've seen it all and you know large swathes of the island are deserted and you're safe as long as you get to them.

There was one later where you're a shot down pilot and have to escape in the dead of night using the stars for navigation.

Oh, OFP... :allears:

I loved the hell out of that mission, even though it mostly involved me getting shot the gently caress up by mechanised infantry.

For those of you that stuck with it, how did Resistance measure up campaign-wise? I bought it around release but didn't stick with it after a few missions, i just can't remember if it was too hard or too janksome. The OFP music's been stuck in my head lately (enjoy) and the lack of a coherent, consistent quality campaign has left me wondering. At least i can run it at full video settings now :haw:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Wallrod posted:

For those of you that stuck with it, how did Resistance measure up campaign-wise? I bought it around release but didn't stick with it after a few missions, i just can't remember if it was too hard or too janksome. The OFP music's been stuck in my head lately (enjoy) and the lack of a coherent, consistent quality campaign has left me wondering. At least i can run it at full video settings now :haw:

Resistance was awesome. Though I found looting the battlefield and making sure you got all the useful weapons and ammo back to your camp cumbersome, the campaign had an awesome feeling of actually being at the head of a resistance movement with limited supplies I particularly liked the missions where you get some time to set up elaborate ambushes for enemy convoys.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Is anyone having problems with the campaign missions crashing while loading? Specifically right when the "Profound quote about war and death" -Some Dead Guy text starts to fade away?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Wallrod posted:

I loved the hell out of that mission, even though it mostly involved me getting shot the gently caress up by mechanised infantry.

It's really good. Worth a playthrough. BI had perfected their campaign design and produced something pretty special. Nogova is a great island, too.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
A little disappointed that one of the missions in the campaign is the Infantry showcase, another is basically the SCUBA showcase with a team and one mission is basically This. BIS might actually catch some hell over that one because it sure as poo poo looks like someone copy/pasted a user-made mission into a retail campaign.

Overall it's fun as hell though. I hope they stick with this format of individual missions with specific objectives instead of the "Fly all over this island in an epic wild goose chase looking for one dude in hundreds of square km" stuff from Arma 2. Also glad they brought back the system where your stash of poo poo you pick up over the mission gets added to the available gear.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Overall it's fun as hell though. I hope they stick with this format of individual missions with specific objectives instead of the "Fly all over this island in an epic wild goose chase looking for one dude in hundreds of square km" stuff from Arma 2.

Hehe, the thing that never worked? It was a great idea though.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I think the "Survive" campaign is extremely uninspired, even by Bohemia's standards. From the way it contextualizes the missions, to how redundant it seems next to the showcases (on mission 5, I laughed when a tool tip popped up showing me how to change stances), I am amazed at how bad BI is at showing off what that engine can do. Now that I've played these missions, I'm curious to know why they weren't complete at launch, and what that says about BI's development process.

I thought at least "Survive" was an opportunity for Bohemia to give us some guerrilla action, which I thought worked well in Resistance. Unfortunately BI seem completely uninterested in asymmetric warfare. That's kind of weird, since COIN has been one of the most relevant and widely discussed military issues of the past decade.

Of course, more ARMA is good ARMA; I just hope Bohemia is saving their big ideas for the next two campaign installments.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Why is it that BIS has had such a hard time releasing campaigns of the length of Cold War Crisis and Resistance? It's not like a whole lot has changed as far as creating and scripting missions. I really, really loved Operation Arrowhead because it felt like they were trying for what made OFP good but I was kind of shocked when I hit the end of it after only like two hours.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

Why is it that BIS has had such a hard time releasing campaigns of the length of Cold War Crisis and Resistance? It's not like a whole lot has changed as far as creating and scripting missions. I really, really loved Operation Arrowhead because it felt like they were trying for what made OFP good but I was kind of shocked when I hit the end of it after only like two hours.

Because they think the community will do it. It's the only explanation I can think of.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
The Mi-48 pilot in the last campaign mission thought it would be a good idea to hover over us - until I put a PCML round right into his rear end end.

It came down intact but after I killed the pilots who abandoned it, it was inoperable. That mission would have taken quite a turn in our favor if I was able to get it airborne.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I do like when the cast is going on about how low their supplies are starting to get or how limited their firepower is, no one thinks to start grabbing the AT weapons and other toys off the AAF they just killed. Then again I never thought to grab one either. :downs: Well, I did once, but I was already carrying a bunch of poo poo at the time.

Also, (second? mission spoilers) did anyone else grab Sgt Adam's rifle after he hit a mine? His gun has an RCO on it which I ended up continuously slapping onto my guns for the rest of the missions since it'd deposit it in the support box at the armory after every mission. It really came in handy. Otherwise I think I would've been stuck with ironsights or red-dots the whole time, and while those aren't bad, the RCO is definitely better.

That said, a much more guerrilla warfare campaign would be pretty awesome. Hopefully that is what we'll get in the second episode/campaign when you hook up with the FIA.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 26, 2013

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, (second? mission spoilers)
I sure did: that thing made the following missions easier, "Death Valley" in particular.
While optics have always been something good to have on a gun in this series, in ArmA 3 they feel almost required when facing the AI.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

radintorov posted:

I sure did: that thing made the following missions easier, "Death Valley" in particular.
While optics have always been something good to have on a gun in this series, in ArmA 3 they feel almost required when facing the AI.

I think it's been that way since Armed Assault. The engagement ranges zipped right up after OFP.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, (second? mission spoilers) did anyone else grab Sgt Adam's rifle after he hit a mine? His gun has an RCO on it which I ended up continuously slapping onto my guns for the rest of the missions since it'd deposit it in the support box at the armory after every mission. It really came in handy. Otherwise I think I would've been stuck with ironsights or red-dots the whole time, and while those aren't bad, the RCO is definitely better.

I grabbed an ABR as soon as I could in the first mission and used the RCO on basically everything until the last mission when I found a HAMR. It sucks that the ABR mags were so scarce because I would've just used that gun the entire campaign. I ended up grabbing a FN with a GL because I felt like I might burn through ammo and the MX seemed like a bad choice.

It was sort of frustrating having to follow the AI through the woods because they just blindly charged ahead until they made contact, while I stopped every 50m or so to scan with the optics. When you can spot enemies before your AI squadmates trip over them, they tend to last longer.

Also, I do like the fact that when AI squadmates die, they seem to come back just fine in the next mission. One of the most frustrating things about the Arma2 campaign was having to babysit those idiots, because it was MISSION FAILED the second one of them was even remotely in trouble. I would have to just tell them to wait in the woods while I did objectives myself because they couldn't be trusted to not get shot in the face and end the mission within 10 seconds of contact.

Sulman posted:

I think it's been that way since Armed Assault. The engagement ranges zipped right up after OFP.
This is pretty much a result of the engine getting better. I think the default viewdistance in OFP was like 500m, so engagements would happen MUCH closer than they do now where you can see loving miles away.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Dilkington posted:

I think the "Survive" campaign is extremely uninspired, even by Bohemia's standards. From the way it contextualizes the missions, to how redundant it seems next to the showcases (on mission 5, I laughed when a tool tip popped up showing me how to change stances), I am amazed at how bad BI is at showing off what that engine can do. Now that I've played these missions, I'm curious to know why they weren't complete at launch, and what that says about BI's development process.

I thought at least "Survive" was an opportunity for Bohemia to give us some guerrilla action, which I thought worked well in Resistance. Unfortunately BI seem completely uninterested in asymmetric warfare. That's kind of weird, since COIN has been one of the most relevant and widely discussed military issues of the past decade.

Of course, more ARMA is good ARMA; I just hope Bohemia is saving their big ideas for the next two campaign installments.

I have just been playing the campaign for the first time and I am really disappointed, to the point I have give up and I'll go back to it some other time when I can be arsed. Uninspired is an understatement I reckon, it's just like they did a couple of missions and threw in some altered showcase missions for good measure. I had gotten my hopes up and was really looking forward to it but it feels like I am just plodding through the showcase again and I think I had more fun with Arma OA's campaign which shouldn't be the case really.

MD
Jul 12, 2005
Who needs med school anyway.....
I was enjoying the missions, I finished the 3rd one, saved and quit out. Now I have zero idea how to load the save and nothing seems to work.

Sucks to be me.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

MD posted:

I was enjoying the missions, I finished the 3rd one, saved and quit out. Now I have zero idea how to load the save and nothing seems to work.
Go to the campaign selection, click the little arrow to expand the tree, "resume" button should appear or you can select any completed mission.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

BIG HORNY COW posted:

A little disappointed that one of the missions in the campaign is the Infantry showcase, another is basically the SCUBA showcase with a team and one mission is basically This. BIS might actually catch some hell over that one because it sure as poo poo looks like someone copy/pasted a user-made mission into a retail campaign.
I was no joke actually expecting the Infantry showcase to show up as a mission because one thing I noticed while playing through the showcases is that they had a small narrative between them in that some of them reference events in other showcases, so I figured that (at least some of) the showcases were actually parts of the SP campaign.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Also, I do like the fact that when AI squadmates die, they seem to come back just fine in the next mission. One of the most frustrating things about the Arma2 campaign was having to babysit those idiots, because it was MISSION FAILED the second one of them was even remotely in trouble. I would have to just tell them to wait in the woods while I did objectives myself because they couldn't be trusted to not get shot in the face and end the mission within 10 seconds of contact.
They actually come back with a different name, even people with speaking parts. My Alpha squad ended up being lead by Sgt. Lopez for most of the campaign because Sgt. Conway ate a bullet pretty early on.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Serious question: why is this game such poo poo? I've given it more than enough of a chance, I've tried joining dozens of games over several days, and almost every time I just found myself running aroud without a clue of what I'm supposed to do or where i should go. I recently found one server where I at least found something to shoot at, but even there I was mostly running blind until I ran into somebody. There was no apparent teamwork and no indication of what the hell the objective even is. I seriously cannot believe they're charging $60 for this garbage.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

This game shines when you have a dedicated group who go through a well designed mission from start to finish. So of course everyone just plays drop-in-anytime sandbox battle maps. :sigh:

Its litterally a case of don't hate the game, hate the player(base).

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty certain the game take about 99.99% of the blame here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Ervin K posted:

I'm pretty certain the game take about 99.99% of the blame here

Pretty sure you aren't finding the right player base because yes, those maps are poo poo. You need a good mission with a good group or it ends up with dudes doing whatever the gently caress they want and sniping dudes at the other end of the island with their tactilol 50cal.

It's the nature of this type of game. Find some good coop missions on workshop and play with a buddy because that's infinitely better than a domi mission or whatever. TvT I hear is a lot better this time around too.