Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

OrganizedInsanity posted:

It's passable but seriously annoying. If I remember correctly without the CCP you have to enter first person mode in order to adjust camera, which means you are aiming and can't move. It's not a deal breaker but gets really annoying in boss fights where you have to stop and turn around in order to face the enemy.

Well, there's the quick turn for that so I don't think that's worth complaining about. I thought the controls were fine it plays exactly like RE4/RE5 in terms of movement. The CCP lets you move and and aim at the same time, but the game is deliberate enough about it's choices that the ability to do so makes you a little over powered in my mind. Either way it's a great game and worth picking up on at least one platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

romanowski posted:

How is Resident Evil: Revelations without the Circle Pad Pro?

Like Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube.

EDIT: drat, what ^^^^^ said.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Technically: SDHC goes up to 32GB, and Microsoft Windows Format will only put FAT32 on devices up to 32GB.

Functionally: SDXC is electrically compatible, and while they come ExFAT formatted (which the 3DS can't read), they can have FAT32 forced on them with a third-party tool. SDXC maxes out at 128GB right now, but theoretically you'll eventually be able to use 2TB cards on the 3DS. If they can ever even physically fit 2TB into a package that small.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Technically: SDHC goes up to 32GB, and Microsoft Windows Format will only put FAT32 on devices up to 32GB.

Functionally: SDXC is electrically compatible, and while they come ExFAT formatted (which the 3DS can't read), they can have FAT32 forced on them with a third-party tool. SDXC maxes out at 128GB right now, but theoretically you'll eventually be able to use 2TB cards on the 3DS. If they can ever even physically fit 2TB into a package that small.

Seeing as 500+ GB flash drives are still hovering around the $1 per GB range I'm gonna say it'll be awhile before we have something in the form factor of an SD card with that kind of storage.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
So it sounds like Revelations controls more or less like MGS2 did, is that right? I've never really played an RE game before.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just bought it. It has a few schemes but the default is

Analog stick: movement. Hold R to aim. Hold L to strafe. You can do both at once.

Up d-pad to change weapons, down D-pad to reload, Y to fire. X to melee. A to use healing item, Down +B to quick turn.

I haven't figured out how to use grenades yet. I literally can't figure it out, but I'm probably dumb.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

VanillaKid posted:

So it sounds like Revelations controls more or less like MGS2 did, is that right? I've never really played an RE game before.

I've only played the demo, but I've been meaning to get the game. There's a control mode (3, I think?) that makes it play just like Resident Evil 4. If you have a CPP you can move and shoot.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

I haven't figured out how to use grenades yet. I literally can't figure it out, but I'm probably dumb.

Use D-pad left to switch from your knife to your grenade and press X to toss. You can also hold R and use X to toss them in first person.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I played Revelaitons using the gyroscope to aim. It's immersive as hell and you can move and aim at the same time!

The Genesis + gyroscope aim also rules.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Note to everyone who bought or is planning on buying Ace Attorney: you get a free costume pack between now and November 7th if you go into the DLC section on the game's main menu. It's just a little thing, and the only one I really tend to use is Apollo's, but it's still a cute little extra to thank users for buying it, so everyone who can should grab it. :3:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of October 31):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (November 1-January 31) - free for 31 days! (Balance Board required.)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Castlevania 4 (SNES, US ver.) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until November 10
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - €29.99 / £23.99 from October 31-November 14
    Assassin's Creed 3 (Wii U) - €14.99 / £11.99 from October 31-November 7
    Marvel Avengers: Battle For Earth (Wii U) - €14.99 / £11.99 from October 31-November 7
    Rabbids Land (Wii U) - €14.99 / £11.99 from October 31-November 7
    Sports Connection (Wii U) - €14.99 / £11.99 from October 31-November 7
    Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 (Wii U) - €14.99 / £11.99 from October 31-November 7
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €6.79 / £5.49 from October 31-November 14

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Hotel Transylvania - €19.99 / £17.99
    Myst - €13.99 / £12.59 (permanent price reduction)
3DS eSHOP
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D - €7.99 / £7.19 (permanent price reduction)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (3DS) - €5.99 / £5.39 from October 31-November 14
    Resident Evil Revelations (3DS) - €17.99 / £14.99 from October 31-November 14
    MYST (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.99 until October 31
    2 Fast 4 Gnomz (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 from October 31-November 21
    Football Up! 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.19 / £3.59 from October 31-November 28
    Urban Trial Freestyle (3DS eShop) - €4.89 / £4.29 until October 31
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until November 14
    Bonanza Bowling (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.50 until November 14
    Gummi Bears - Mini Golf (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.50 until November 14
    Gummi Bears Magic Medallion (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.50 until November 14
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until October 31
    Tangram Style (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until October 31
    Dress To Play: Magic Bubbles (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until November 10

For those who don't know, here's the scoop on Wii Fit U Trial Version, straight from the horse's mouth:

"Starting on 1st November, Wii U owners can download a complete trial version of the game and get a head start on their New Year's fitness goals by trying out all the activities found in the game for 31 days - at no cost. All you need is a balance board and a Wii U system with a broadband Internet connection.

The Wii Fit U Trial Version will be available to download free of charge from Nintendo eShop between 1st November and 31st January 2014 and will work for 31 days from the day it is first played. Using the software, users can stay active with 77 different activities, including 19 new training activities, many of which take advantage of the Wii U GamePad controller. Users who want to continue using Wii Fit U beyond the 31-day trial period can unlock the time restriction by synching a Fit Meter accessory (available at retail) with their trial version of the Wii Fit U software. This will allow them to continue playing Wii Fit U for an unlimited time. The Fit Meter will be released on 1st November in a choice of colours including Black, Red and Green."

RRP on the Fit Meter is €19.99 / £17.99. No idea if you'll actually need a Balance Board in order to download the software or if it just won't be playable without one, I guess we'll find out on Friday!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Shoopuf posted:

Note to everyone who bought or is planning on buying Ace Attorney: you get a free costume pack between now and November 7th if you go into the DLC section on the game's main menu. It's just a little thing, and the only one I really tend to use is Apollo's, but it's still a cute little extra to thank users for buying it, so everyone who can should grab it. :3:

It also includes Phoenix's original suit so get it by all means!

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Kurtofan posted:

It also includes Phoenix's original suit so get it by all means!
And a token school girl outfit for the token Not-Maya stand in!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

€6 for RE: Mercenaries seems like a steal.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just announced for the 3DS eShop early next year: Yumi's Odd Odyssey, aka an English version of Sayonara Umihara Kawase. It's a game about using a fishing rod as a grappling hook and beating up fish men.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Kins posted:

Just announced for the 3DS eShop early next year: Yumi's Odd Odyssey, aka an English version of Sayonara Umihara Kawase. It's a game about using a fishing rod as a grappling hook and beating up fish men.

Holy poo poo, there's a game I never expect to get released outside of Japan/Asia.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

The Kins posted:

Wow holy poo poo, there's been a whole series of those games and we're just now getting one? I wonder if it'll be like the others which apparently have brutal loving difficulty.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh yeah, I saw that earlier and forgot to post it here, oops.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Wow holy poo poo, there's been a whole series of those games and we're just now getting one? I wonder if it'll be like the others which apparently have brutal loving difficulty.

They take practice, definitely, but I wouldn't call them "brutal".

I haven't actually played the new one but from all accounts they've changed a lot of little things to make it more beginner-friendly/less opaque, plus they've added new playable characters with abilities like slow motion that give you more leeway in executing some of the more advanced techniques.

There were two previous entries in the series, the Super Famicom original and a PSX sequel, both of which were re-released on a compilation for DS in Japan; that's probably the easiest way to play 'em.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
Uh, I was so excited about Ace Attorney for digital download I actually bought it on the eShop.

I just realized there's no account system. Googling it looks like you need the exact same physical 3DS and SD card the game was downloaded to in order to do a transfer. So if the SD card fails, if the 3DS is damaged beyond repair or stolen, gently caress you buy every single game again.

Can anyone confirm/deny? I've skimmed like the first 20 and last 20 pages of this topic looking for people mentioning it and haven't seen a peep. If that's the case, this is pretty much the only title I am ever going to buy from their eShop because that's completely batshit insane and I need to invest in a CycloDS right now.

For that matter, what if you run out of space on a card and you delete a title? Can you redownload it? I'm sorta assuming you can because that's like... uh... well. Pretty vital. Unless they're seriously charging me to rent the loving game. God forbid I upgrade to a larger SD card in the future because maybe I wanted to spend more money in their store. Or maybe my library becomes too huge for any single card and I don't want to have to keep a rack of cards forever.

It seems like there'd be some way to call them up and give them your billing information and have the account that they must keep in the backend for tracking purchases associated with a new device and deactivate the old device in the event of a completely unrecoverable device, and allow you to redownload purchased titles... right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xaiter posted:

Uh, I was so excited about Ace Attorney for digital download I actually bought it on the eShop.

I just realized there's no account system. Googling it looks like you need the exact same physical 3DS and SD card the game was downloaded to in order to do a transfer. So if the SD card fails, if the 3DS is damaged beyond repair or stolen, gently caress you buy every single game again.

Can anyone confirm/deny? I've skimmed like the first 20 and last 20 pages of this topic looking for people mentioning it and haven't seen a peep. If that's the case, this is pretty much the only title I am ever going to buy from their eShop because that's completely batshit insane and I need to invest in a CycloDS right now.

For that matter, what if you run out of space on a card and you delete a title? Can you redownload it? I'm sorta assuming you can because that's like... uh... well. Pretty vital. Unless they're seriously charging me to rent the loving game. God forbid I upgrade to a larger SD card in the future because maybe I wanted to spend more money in their store. Or maybe my library becomes too huge for any single card and I don't want to have to keep a rack of cards forever.

It seems like there'd be some way to call them up and give them your billing information and have the account that they must keep in the backend for tracking purchases associated with a new device and deactivate the old device in the event of a completely unrecoverable device, and allow you to redownload purchased titles... right?

It stores everything you've bought in their server, and you can redownload onto the same 3ds. There's no account system, so if you get a new 3ds you need to do a transfer process that requires access to both 3ds' at the same time. As for the SD card. you just need a computer that can read your old card, and transfer all the files to a new one.

If your 3ds is stolen, you most likely lose all your digital games.

Nintendo isn't that great at internet yet.

Edit: If something happens to your SD card, you should still be able to download the same game onto your 3ds with a new SD card.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 29, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If the SD card fails you have to redownload things, but since the eShop and the 3DS share a secret key you wouldn't have to repurchase them. This also means you can delete and redownload games at will (or at least as at will as your internet connection allows). If you just want to change SD cards it's pretty much a straight copy - in fact using your PC as an intermediary works just fine. (The SD card has to have the same volume label/'name' though.)

If the 3DS fails you're expected to send it in for repair/replacement, at which point Nintendo would do the system transfer for you.

If the 3DS is lost or stolen you're expected to send in a police report, and I'm not sure what happens then, and I don't know if anyone has successfully gotten anything out of such a thing here.

It's nowhere near ideal, and difficult to defend on any level, but it's not some sort of money-grubbing scheme.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yes, you can delete/redownload titles at will, and if you run out of space you can simply drag/drop everything from the old card to the new one and it'll work. You won't lose any purchases if your SD is lost/corrupted - you might lose save data, but you can back that up on PC if it's something that worries you.

If you want to transfer your purchases from one 3DS to another you need to physically have both units in the same room, but you don't need the exact same SD card your games were originally saved to, no.

If your 3DS is lost or irreparably damaged you'll have to call/write Nintendo, preferably with a police report, and hope they're feeling charitable. Most people seem to get their games back without much trouble but yeah, it really should be simpler.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Skwirl posted:

If your 3ds is stolen, you most likely lose all your digital games.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

If the 3DS fails you're expected to send it in for repair/replacement, at which point Nintendo would do the system transfer for you.

If the 3DS is lost or stolen you're expected to send in a police report, and I'm not sure what happens then, and I don't know if anyone has successfully gotten anything out of such a thing here.

It's nowhere near ideal, and difficult to defend on any level, but it's not some sort of money-grubbing scheme.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If your 3DS is lost or irreparably damaged you'll have to call/write Nintendo, preferably with a police report, and hope they're feeling charitable. Most people seem to get their games back without much trouble but yeah, it really should be simpler.

Thanks! So it's not nearly as terrible as it appears at first.

This information should be in the OP with a giant :siren:BUYER BEWARE:siren: warning, though. This definitely is my first, last, and only eShop purchase ever, then. It seems absolutely insane to invest any significant amount of money into it.

This is coming from a dude who's spent like $8k on Steam in 9 years. I'd be absolutely loving livid if Steam told me "oh so sorry your PC failed and you couldn't recover the hard drive just buy all your stuff again okay?"

Xaiter fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've been slack about the OP, yeah. I've been writing an update over the last few days, it'll be up soon.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Xaiter posted:

Thanks! So it's not nearly as terrible as it appears at first.

This information should be in the OP with a giant :siren:BUYER BEWARE:siren: warning, though. This definitely is my first, last, and only eShop purchase ever, then. It seems absolutely insane to invest any significant amount of money into it.

This is coming from a dude who's spent like $8k on Steam in 9 years. I'd be absolutely loving livid if Steam told me "oh so sorry your PC failed and you couldn't recover the hard drive just buy all your stuff again okay?"
Calm down, it's not that bad. The eShop isn't perfect, but Nintendo isn't going to tell you to re-purchase everything again. If your 3DS breaks, send it in to get it repaired and they will transfer your licences over if you need a replacement unit. If it's lost or stolen, and you buy a new one, they will probably do the same.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

irlZaphod posted:

Calm down, it's not that bad. The eShop isn't perfect, but Nintendo isn't going to tell you to re-purchase everything again. If your 3DS breaks, send it in to get it repaired and they will transfer your licences over if you need a replacement unit. If it's lost or stolen, and you buy a new one, they will probably do the same.

Not if it's lost. you're SOL if it's lost. I could say I lost my 3DS and ask them to put them on a friend's system so that he would have the games too. They're not going to allow that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Not if it's lost. you're SOL if it's lost. I could say I lost my 3DS and ask them to put them on a friend's system so that he would have the games too. They're not going to allow that.
I'm sure they'd have ways to check that (although maybe not, Nintendo + Internet = :psyduck:). You could write to them nicely and ask anyway.

It doesn't excuse the lack of account system, but it's not as bad as some of the knee-jerk reactions in this thread would indicate.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Losing your 3DS is the only circumstance in which you would have to rebuy your digital games, which is the same thing that would happen if you lost your physical carts. Your ownership is definitely not affected by the SD card in any way, a broken system can be sent in to Nintendo, and a new system can have its registrations transferred over.

I agree that an account system should be there to provide more security/convenience than that, but buying your games digitally is no more of an insane risk than carrying your carts around with you in a case.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I thought if you lost it you had to get some sort of Lost Item report or something from a police station, like you would a stolen item report, and send it in to them and they'd deal with it. I'm not saying i'm right, it's just what i've heard.

Though i'd prefer with an actual account system for the small potential chance of cross system sharing of VC stuff. I'd love to have all my Wii U VC NES stuff on my 3DS without having to palm out over $70 for it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Crawfish posted:

I thought if you lost it you had to get some sort of Lost Item report or something from a police station, like you would a stolen item report, and send it in to them and they'd deal with it. I'm not saying i'm right, it's just what i've heard.

Though i'd prefer with an actual account system for the small potential chance of cross system sharing of VC stuff. I'd love to have all my Wii U VC NES stuff on my 3DS without having to palm out over $70 for it.
I don't think there's really even any anecdotal evidence over what to do if it's lost or stolen, because for anything to happen you'd have to go buy a new system anyway, then send that system in (or whatever) to get the licences transferred.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

irlZaphod posted:

I don't think there's really even any anecdotal evidence over what to do if it's lost or stolen, because for anything to happen you'd have to go buy a new system anyway, then send that system in (or whatever) to get the licences transferred.

In this very thread (albeit eons ago) someone had their 3DS stolen, and had to file a police report, then sent said report to Nintendo, and then after all that Nintendo ended up just giving them a bunch of gift codes equal to the price of the games. Another poster way back when had some difficulties getting the paperwork or something and eventually just gave up. It's a huge hassle, they don't have a sensible or even consistent system in place, and there's definitely precedent for it, you just have to dig pretty deep to find it. Without the system itself there's not even any licenses to transfer. You have to re-buy the games on either Nintendo's dime or your own.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Wait someone mentioned CycloDS - is there 3DS homebrew yet? I thought R4s and poo poo didn't work with it?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Do people lose their 3DS and other handhelds often? I keep hearing this excuse as to why people are afraid to buy games on the eshop. Just take better care of your stuff. Now if it got stolen that's an entire different story and I'd be pissed off as well.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

PonchAxis posted:

Do people lose their 3DS and other handhelds often? I keep hearing this excuse as to why people are afraid to buy games on the eshop. Just take better care of your stuff. Now if it got stolen that's an entire different story and I'd be pissed off as well.

When I was on holiday once some kids stole my Game Boy Color with Pokιmon Gold and Silver, Wario Blast, and a bunch of other games. Our insurance covered it, but those save files are gone forever :smith: In short, never leave anything more than arms length away from you at all times, forever. If possible, don't take your portable games consoles outside the house without physically attaching themselves to you or keeping them in your trousers.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Very, VERY few people do from what i've seen.

It's sort of stupid how over the top people get over how Nintendo digital software is handled as it's not that hard to take care of your handhelds, and if you're taking good care of your poo poo, this should never affect you. At the same time, I see where people are coming from. I can't off the top of my head think of another digital software capable device where if you lose the device itself it takes as much effort to get that software back as it does with Nintendo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, this is the one thing that annoys me immensely about the 3DS system. Here's what I did to cover my bases:

My eShop account is registered to my Nintendo account (this is apparently required if Nintendo will do anything at all)

- I took a picture of the underside of the 3DS so I have a serial number for it on file
- I don't travel with my 3DS
- I have property insurance that should, in theory, cover the game's expenses if Nintendo is douchey about it (e.g. my insurance covers lost jewelry outside the home, for example)
- I avoid buying digital downloads on 3DS when possible

But yeah, Nintendo really needs to learn what this whole internet thing is.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

univbee posted:

Yeah, this is the one thing that annoys me immensely about the 3DS system. Here's what I did to cover my bases:

My eShop account is registered to my Nintendo account (this is apparently required if Nintendo will do anything at all)

- I took a picture of the underside of the 3DS so I have a serial number for it on file
- I don't travel with my 3DS
- I have property insurance that should, in theory, cover the game's expenses if Nintendo is douchey about it (e.g. my insurance covers lost jewelry outside the home, for example)
- I avoid buying digital downloads on 3DS when possible

But yeah, Nintendo really needs to learn what this whole internet thing is.
This all seems very excessive, and is it really all necessary when you "avoid buying digital downloads"?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

This all seems very excessive, and is it really all necessary when you "avoid buying digital downloads"?

I avoid it but have no choice in some cases (e.g. Ace Attorney 5). I also avoid buying them now but bought a bunch before I realized what the problems were.

I have a Vita anyway so it's my go-to "out of the house system", especially with PS4 remote play being a thing.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 29, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nintendo has been working on an update that would unite your Nintendo Network account with your 3DS account so you can have a real account system and share data between the 3DS and WiiU. Any day now, Nintendo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

How do you create a Nintendo Network account? Is it WiiU Only? Is it in any way tied to Club Nintendo?