Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
More importantly it's Arkham City without a big-huge gently caress off "U" shape so you can cut right across the fuckin' thing

finally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So I'm in Mad Hatter's Wonderland, which is awesome, except oh hey I can't actually progress. I'm supposed to ride a raft-like thing (a tea saucer) across a river by using the batclaw... but the loving thing never moves and Batman just pulls on the rope endlessly. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently some genius decided it'd be a great idea to have that thing subject to physics when it spawns, meaning it can get stuck on the loving shoreline and you basically have to keep jumping into the water to reset it until it finally decides to land in the right loving spot.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Seriously, gently caress this Deathstroke fight. This fight is all by itself making me regret my purchase.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrunkPanda posted:

Based on what I've heard from reviewers, it seems like they literally took Arkham City, changed the name to Arkham Origins and made absolutely no other changes, but called it a different game. Is this what happened?

Not even close. The combat had some minor adjustments that make it play rather differently (You absoulutely cannot let yourself get surrounded now that you can't cancel from a strike->combo, so you have to think a lot more about positioning), the upgrades have been moved into a tree format, it's got a lot more side material, and there's a lot more detective stuff. The map is also twice the size, and the reused area is significantly different. The story is also way, way better and more focused.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, it doesn't matter much to me anyway, the city model itself was almost completely forgettable to me anyway. Which is another problem.

The reused area has a lot more character now that it's not all hosed up like it was in AC. There's a lot of stores, a shopping-mall kind of area, so on and so forth. The fact there's actual colors in it helps a lot. In Arkham City it was all so broken down and dark it all felt like the inside of a steel mill.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The reused area has a lot more character now that it's not all hosed up like it was in AC. There's a lot of stores, a shopping-mall kind of area, so on and so forth. The fact there's actual colors in it helps a lot. In Arkham City it was all so broken down and dark it all felt like the inside of a steel mill.
Colors? I didn't see any of them in any trailers or anything. But it does seem to be the way of games these days to not show their colors in advertising. Those shameful, shameful colors.

edit: are there people out there who say "You like COLORS in your games? What are you, some kind of gay human being?"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Colors? I didn't see any of them in any trailers or anything. But it does seem to be the way of games these days to not show their colors in advertising. Those shameful, shameful colors.

There's a lot of storefronts and christmas decorations, things like that. It's not bursting with color, I mean, it is a batman game, but they stop it from being quite as bleak-looking as it was in AC.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
God almighty please, fix the camera in combat so I can actually see behind me. Keep the tower bug and random CTDs but I really hope this gets fixed first, it's basically killing the game for me.

Also I still can't counter martial artists so I'm just chalking this up to a bug. One more to add to the pile.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Red Mundus posted:

Also I still can't counter martial artists so I'm just chalking this up to a bug. One more to add to the pile.

Hit counter twice. They have dual attacks (more lines in the counter indicator), and you have to treat it as two incoming attacks or it'll go through.

VVVVV: It's explained, you just have to go to challenge mode and do the training for it. No idea why they took the explanations for the enemy types out of the encounters themselves.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 26, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Red Mundus posted:

God almighty please, fix the camera in combat so I can actually see behind me. Keep the tower bug and random CTDs but I really hope this gets fixed first, it's basically killing the game for me.

With the martial artists, there's an attack where there are two distinct spidey sense lines rather than the usual one. You have to hit counter twice to counter them. Yeah, it's hard to see. No, it's not actually explained anywhere in the game. I had to figure it out my drat self.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Seriously, gently caress this Deathstroke fight. This fight is all by itself making me regret my purchase.

What exactly is giving you trouble? The Deathstroke fight is totally awesome.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

There's a lot of storefronts and christmas decorations, things like that. It's not bursting with color, I mean, it is a batman game, but they stop it from being quite as bleak-looking as it was in AC.
Honestly after playing The Wolf Among Us (and to a slightly lesser extent the Walking Dead), I don't understand why comic book games are graphically done any other way. That way is so perfect. Is it really hard to do compared to more realistic shading methods, or something?

Riptide
Jun 26, 2012
Man, this game (Xbox 360 Version) has frozen on me twice in the first hour. Hope this doesn't continue!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly after playing The Wolf Among Us (and to a slightly lesser extent the Walking Dead), I don't understand why comic book games are graphically done any other way. That way is so perfect. Is it really hard to do compared to more realistic shading methods, or something?

Arkham really likes to lay the details on thick. I can't see stuff like the gradual wear on Batman's suit over the course of the night working as well with the more comic-booky aesthetic. Origins especially takes more after a mix of the animated series and the movies (especially the 1989 one) to really pin it down as a comic book game in the same sense The Wolf Among Us is.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Hit counter twice. They have dual attacks (more lines in the counter indicator), and you have to treat it as two incoming attacks or it'll go through.

VVVVV: It's explained, you just have to go to challenge mode and do the training for it. No idea why they took the explanations for the enemy types out of the encounters themselves.

I get that, the problem is when I hit counter twice I just go into batarang aiming mode.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
This game seems a lot more counter-reliant than Arkham City was. Batman's moves on hard are much slower and flashier than the thugs, who will beat you to the punch, so to speak, if you try and attack head on instead of countering an incoming attack. It's throwing me off a bit because I need to wait an extra half a second before throwing a punch to see if a thug is going to attack (and counter if so). If we start our attacks at the same time, I'll lose my combo.

I'm not very far in, but it seems solid overall so far. As a side note, got my new Dual Shock 4 controller working with x360ce, and it pretty much owns. I loved the 360 controller but that time is over. Not really sure which bluetooth dongle to buy for wireless play, but it's comfy enough that I'm willing to endure the wire for now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arkham really likes to lay the details on thick. I can't see stuff like the gradual wear on Batman's suit over the course of the night working as well with the more comic-booky aesthetic. Origins especially takes more after a mix of the animated series and the movies (especially the 1989 one) to really pin it down as a comic book game in the same sense The Wolf Among Us is.
While you're right that Batman has a whole movie world to work with too, I disagree about that style of graphics getting in the way of the details they want. If anything, they stand out more with the greater color range.

But more fundamentally, I believe games are at their best when they look the least like movies. And I say that as someone who watches a lot of movies. BECAUSE I enjoy both, I want them to be maximally different from each other.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 26, 2013

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Darke GBF posted:

This game seems a lot more counter-reliant than Arkham City was. Batman's moves on hard are much slower and flashier than the thugs, who will beat you to the punch, so to speak, if you try and attack head on instead of countering an incoming attack. It's throwing me off a bit because I need to wait an extra half a second before throwing a punch to see if a thug is going to attack (and counter if so). If we start our attacks at the same time, I'll lose my combo.

You really need to treat counter as your main attack and only resort to outright attacking people if there are no counters available. Even then, there's often pre-counters available - you can counter an enemy attack a bit before the notification flashes, so if you're fighting a group larger than 4-5, you'll pretty much always have a counter available. The downside of this method is that you won't get crit counters, but it's a lot safer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

While you're right that Batman has a whole movie world to work with too, I disagree about that style of graphics getting in the way of the details they want. If anything, they stand out more with the greater color range.

But more fundamentally, I believe games are at their best when they look the least like movies. And I say that as someone who watches a lot of movies. BECAUSE I enjoy both, I want them to be maximally different from each other.

Oh, I absolutely agree they shouldn't be trying to look like movies, but I like it when a game finds an art style that works and sticks with it. The Arkham series has its thing, and their takes on the characters are always cool to see when the new game rolls around, because they stay true to the characters while doing something new. Sometimes simple is best (and oh man does it age better) like the Walking Dead or Enemy Starfighter.

The expansion of the color palette this time around gives me a much stronger Batman vibe than City's did. It also really helped me get a feel for the locations as places separate from each other compared to City, because everything still looks like it has function, instead of being "busted up building number three".

Murodese posted:

You really need to treat counter as your main attack and only resort to outright attacking people if there are no counters available. Even then, there's often pre-counters available - you can counter an enemy attack a bit before the notification flashes, so if you're fighting a group larger than 4-5, you'll pretty much always have a counter available. The downside of this method is that you won't get crit counters, but it's a lot safer.

The other option is to stick more towards the edges of the fight, and use your cape stun and batarangs to buy room. That should give you space enough to combo some strikes to get enough combo to use the batarang multi-knockout. I've actually been countering less in this than earlier games because it's harder to rely on it and still hit people, so I spend a lot of time trying to stop them from attacking me in the first place.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Starks posted:

Batman's suit is also slightly different. They also took out some of the gadgets like the batarang which sounds bad but honestly it's great and adds a new layer of challenge to the game.

Wait, what? I can't string a bad guy up from a gargoyle and then batarang him back down to the ground? How do I get my money back from Amazon?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, they also took out all the flying around. The world is split into zones that you just fast travel to and then do your mission, then travel back to the bat cave for a cutscene before the next one. It's definitely a change of pace, but I have to say it's nice not having to worry about all that exploring and stuff.

Just wait till you get to the side-scrolling QTE fight with poison ivy. I probably should have spoilered that, but it's just so cool.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 26, 2013

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Pharmaskittle posted:

Just wait till you get to the sidescrolling time limit QTE fight with poison ivy. I probably should have spoilered that, but it's just so cool.

Been there, sorta done that.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

gently caress that Batman TAS SNES game. Its lavishly animated and some of the scenarios are awesome (there's a 3dish maze fight against the riddler) but dear lord - that is some Nintendo Hard levels of difficulty.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Up until Arkham Asylum it was my favorite Batman game and even after it came out it was still a close race.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Does anyone have a WBID with all of the iOS game unlocks?

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

omg chael crash posted:

Does anyone have a WBID with all of the iOS game unlocks?

I linked one but we don't know how to log out of WBID accounts so I don't recommend logging in. Not as smooth as unlocks as Injustice went, unfortunately.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I like that it still has the feel of the other batman games but overall I have been rather annoyed at all the bugs I have encountered. The vent bug has been one of my more annoying bugs encountered so far but I have seen quite a few others as well.

Something about combat also seems to make it seem more of a pain in the rear end then AA or AC. It seems like the camera is a little closer and that more often you are stuck in an attack with no ability to block. When it comes to bosses I still havn't worked out if eltrocutioner going down in one hit was a bug or what was supposed to happen and the Deathstroke fight was extremely annoying.

I can see the appeal of the unlock tree as opposed to the old unlock style, but I personally preferred the old unlock style of being able to pick and choose much more.

Overall it seems like once the bugs get worked out it will be a decent game although (at least from what I have seen so far) not quite as good as AA or AC.

As a side note anyone know if there are any stealth bosses like Mr. Freeze was in AC?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's not a bug, it's an awesome gag.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
So I like this game so far (I thought the Deathstroke fight was amazing- it was hard, but it made it clear what you had to do to win, so I didn't think it was unfair). However, I am really annoyed that (on PS3) they switched the trigger buttons for some functions. Like, it used to be L2 was activate Detective Mode and L1 was throw Batarang, but now it's reversed. I know it seems trivial, but I've built up a lot of muscle memory and I don't see any reason for the change, especially if you're not able to remap the buttons. There have been a number of times when I'm perched in a stealth mission and try to scan the area but accidentally throw a Batarang, giving away my position. So, that's a bit of a rage, mainly because it's such a meaningless change that is totally unnecessary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jurgan posted:

However, I am really annoyed that (on PS3) they switched the trigger buttons for some functions.

Yeah, this drives me nuts. I keep turning on detective vision while trying to do things.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Does fast travel get disabled for any particular reason for large parts of the game? All my unlocked fast travel points have been greyed out for quite some time now and I'm wondering if I missed some dialogue explaining why I can't use them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Now that I've played a bit more, I'm still a mixed on this game. Anyone have anything comprehensive on what they changed about combat? Because they've definitely made some tweaks on some timings and some other stuff, and I can't say those changes are good ones. Not sure why they'd mess with that part of the game of all things. It was the one thing they didn't have to touch at all. I can't really put my finger on what is wrong exactly, it just feels like there's a degree of animation priority that wasn't in the original two games. What I mean is that you can't easily interrupt an existing animation to do a counter. If someone is attacking you and you're in the middle of anything else, you can't do anything about it, and I don't remember the previous games being like that but maybe my memory is just hazy. If that is a change they made, it's a really bad change. Like, REALLY bad. I'm finding myself really frustrated with the combat and I really enjoyed myself with the previous games' combat. I really want to know if I suddenly got way worse and I'm losing my mind, or if there's something to this.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

TheGreySpectre posted:

Does fast travel get disabled for any particular reason for large parts of the game? All my unlocked fast travel points have been greyed out for quite some time now and I'm wondering if I missed some dialogue explaining why I can't use them.

You can't do it in combat and sometimes the fast travel thinks you never left combat. Just reload the checkpoint.

ImpAtom posted:

What exactly is giving you trouble? The Deathstroke fight is totally awesome.

His problem is he isn't using the quickfire grapple claw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've honestly had no trouble interrupting attacks to counter so I wonder if that's also a PC issue. Aside from the obvious ones like ground pound which were the same in AC. You can't interrupt ground pound or particularly lengthy animations like the quickfire claw->punch (and even that it's relatively short.) Regular attacks are easily countered. Like I've been approaching it the same way I did AC combat and aside from the button switch I've had no problems.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

randombattle posted:

You can't do it in combat and sometimes the fast travel thinks you never left combat. Just reload the checkpoint.
There's probably a mudcrab or something around.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I've honestly had no trouble interrupting attacks to counter so I wonder if that's also a PC issue. Aside from the obvious ones like ground pound which were the same in AC. Like I've been approaching it the same way I did AC combat and aside from the button switch I've had no problems.

Yeah, unless my memory is really awful (very possible), I'm pretty sure that in the previous games, unless you were doing a special attack like a ground takedown, when the counter notification came up pressing Y always interrupted whatever you were doing to counter. Or am I mixing the game up with Assassin's Creed? Because that series also made a change at some point to basically allow you to interrupt any attack with a counter.

Another thing, I haven't gotten a single critical hit yet. People here said they're still in the game. Until I read it I thought they removed them. I don't button mash whatsoever, I'm very careful with my button presses, but no matter what timing I try I haven't been able to land a single one. I was really great at them in AA and AC. I feel like redownloading one of the old games just to see if I'm off my rocker or not.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Another thing, I haven't gotten a single critical hit yet. People here said they're still in the game. Until I read it I thought they removed them. I don't button mash whatsoever, I'm very careful with my button presses, but no matter what timing I try I haven't been able to land a single one. I was really great at them in AA and AC. I feel like redownloading one of the old games just to see if I'm off my rocker or not.

You need to take out a certain assassin Lady Shiva to get the critical hit power. This stumped me too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, unless my memory is really awful (very possible), I'm pretty sure that in the previous games, unless you were doing a special attack like a ground takedown, when the counter notification came up pressing Y always interrupted whatever you were doing to counter. Or am I mixing the game up with Assassin's Creed? Because that series also made a change at some point to basically allow you to interrupt any attack with a counter.

Yeah, you're probably misremembering. The window is very large but it's possible to get hit if you mash buttons and end up in a punch animation when an enemy is swinging. The counter window is very large but it isn't 100% all times.

As in AC, they're an unlockable upgrade.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, you're probably misremembering. The window is very large but it's possible to get hit if you mash buttons and end up in a punch animation when an enemy is swinging. The counter window is very large but it isn't 100% all times.

Did they change something else, then? I heard they shortened the counter timing. I really wonder why I'm getting frustrated so much more often in this game than in previous games. I'm really not enjoying the combat for some reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So is there any word on a patch for this? With the tower bug and the first boss bug, I don't even want to continue playing this for fear of other things ruining the experience until they've done some work on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Did they change something else, then? I heard they shortened the counter timing. I really wonder why I'm getting frustrated so much more often in this game than in previous games. I'm really not enjoying the combat for some reason.

I have felt the same way about combat. I don't button mash and I still feel like I can't am getting hit significantly more then I used to.

• Locked thread