Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

madsushi posted:

Any of you guys able to log into Moodle for the Stanley class?

I logged into the Stanly website a couple weeks ago and at first couldn't figure out why I was having problems logging in, but then I remembered that I'd reset my password. All good at this time - finished up the first section and planning on knocking out the second tomorrow after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I logged into the Stanly website a couple weeks ago and at first couldn't figure out why I was having problems logging in, but then I remembered that I'd reset my password. All good at this time - finished up the first section and planning on knocking out the second tomorrow after work.

This is all I get after logging in:

http://i.imgur.com/PKCOlYg.png

e: this is the course I'm in:
CAS-300039-2013CE3-Poplin-OL VMware vSphere:Inst, Conf, Mg (Oct to Dec)

madsushi fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 22, 2013

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
You need to review the class overview and take the quiz I believe.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

You need to review the class overview and take the quiz I believe.

It wasn't that way when I took that course last session. I would email dustin using the moodle email service. He responds pretty quickly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Once I took the intro "quiz" I could see more stuff.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I'd like to set up a virtual environment for my newphew so that he can use my computer and have free reign over the OS without being able to gently caress anything up. Is there any way to have a VM startup and lock him into it when he logs on to a profile on my computer? I guess having the VM startup on logon would be easy, so really I'm looking for VM software that supports locking a user into it and not being able to interact with the host.

Any ideas?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
This week has been a nightmare. However, I have produced some interesting facts about a single VM that runs in our environment.

8 vCPU, 112GB RAM - This server puts more stress on our storage than another one of our hosts running 51 VMs with 166 vCPUs total. Right now, it is issuing out double the commands per second, reads/writes per second than the host with 51 VMs.

:stare:

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Tots posted:

I'd like to set up a virtual environment for my newphew so that he can use my computer and have free reign over the OS without being able to gently caress anything up. Is there any way to have a VM startup and lock him into it when he logs on to a profile on my computer? I guess having the VM startup on logon would be easy, so really I'm looking for VM software that supports locking a user into it and not being able to interact with the host.

Any ideas?

I believe Windows 7 will actually allow you to do this. You can create a VHD with a second instance of Windows 7 and have that sitting on your hard drive, then setup the bootloader to present it as an option on startup (you could also do it in say virtualbox and just run full screen, though it would be slower).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/knom/archive/2009/04/07/windows-7-vhd-boot-setup-guideline.aspx

Unrelated to this question but related to the thread, does anyone know of a good 'cloud' provider in the UK? It looks like amazon runs their stuff out of Ireland which won't do the trick. I've seen a few most likely fly by night operations around the $30/month $.10 an hour range with like 20gig space/512 meg ram which is kinda meh (especially with a lack of reputation). The nunhosting guy from SAMART is Buffalo, NY only.

My usage isn't huge, it's literally just for a squid/ip bounce that I can spin up on demand to test some applications I'm working on and watch BBC online. Probably max out around 5 users at most (I work with a bunch of Brits).

Ganson fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 23, 2013

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I have no idea where he is getting that information, limiting JVM's that are asking for an amount of ram to run effectively is going to cause you a bunch of poo poo. Honestly, Limiting the JVM settings would be my last resort. On your environment I would be saying 12GB and 2 vCPU's(maybe 3) for vCenter. loving around with the JVM size is really the last thing you should do unless you are constrained on resources. Also is by chance SQL running on the same VM? If so SQL might be trying to use as much ram as possible, I have found limiting the amount of ram it uses does help(by default it caches a very large amount of system ram), this can be done in Studio Manager.

Hell I have one client running 60VM's 4 hosts, stretched cluster + Veeam. He needs at least, 6Gb for vCenter, and 8GB for backups n poo poo to run. Because people seem to find it neccisary to install BE 2012 or Veeam on the same server of vCenter in all cases.

If you have the excess ram I would bump it up to 12GB, if you still hit the 90% I would then look into going into the JVM.

Just a follow-up to my JVM heap size decrease/memory increase battle: now that I'm off-shift the infra architect has pushed the change forward and they are going ahead with decreasing the JVM heap sizes to those dangerously low values. The guy is a loving moron; the change implementer asked him if there was any special shutdown procedure as it is running vCenter Heartbeat and the infra architect just said "nah just reboot it nothing special". poo poo's going to completely collapse. Glad I'm not on shift.

Edit: last night I ran a data collector in Perfmon on the active node and over a period of one hour the average number of page faults per second was 1,700+.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Ganson posted:

I believe Windows 7 will actually allow you to do this. You can create a VHD with a second instance of Windows 7 and have that sitting on your hard drive, then setup the bootloader to present it as an option on startup (you could also do it in say virtualbox and just run full screen, though it would be slower).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/knom/archive/2009/04/07/windows-7-vhd-boot-setup-guideline.aspx

Was attempting to avoid restarting the computer for the solution, but maybe that is the best way. Anyone else have input input?

E: it also just struck me that if I was going to do this then there's really no need to virtualize. I'd just install the second OS traditionally and let him gently caress it up however he wants, then just re-image it when it gets too hosed.

Tots fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 23, 2013

complex
Sep 16, 2003

1,700 page faults/second is not that high.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Does VMware have a GA mailing list or something to let us know when new downloads land? vCOPS 5.8 looks awesome and I really want to deploy it ASAP.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Java 7 Update 45 breaks the Cisco UCS control panel. http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCuj84421

Workaround according to Cisco? Use Java version 7 update 40 or below. There's no patch yet and I assume it's a few weeks out at least.

Earlier releases are available from:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase7-521261.html

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

El_Matarife posted:

Java 7 Update 45 breaks

Java 7 Update 45 breaks everything at work, holy hell has my week sucked.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

El_Matarife posted:

Java 7 Update 45 breaks the Cisco UCS control panel. http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCuj84421

Workaround according to Cisco? Use Java version 7 update 40 or below. There's no patch yet and I assume it's a few weeks out at least.

Earlier releases are available from:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase7-521261.html

That Java update is breaking a lot of things. I've had to roll it back for a couple of different users due to it breaking their software.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did I read somewhere that VCSA will be going to HTML5 vs Flash? I deployed an appliance today and it was still flash and I was kind of bummed because I thought the new ones were going to be HTML5 :[

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Martytoof posted:

Did I read somewhere that VCSA will be going to HTML5 vs Flash? I deployed an appliance today and it was still flash and I was kind of bummed because I thought the new ones were going to be HTML5 :[

The console can be HTML5 for use on non Windows systems on vCenter 5.5. Maybe that was it?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

First week of the Stanly Community College VMware class down - the first three modules are pretty rudimentary, but there are signs that the class should be picking up in the complexity and interest level in the following weeks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mayodreams posted:

The console can be HTML5 for use on non Windows systems on vCenter 5.5. Maybe that was it?

Ah yeah maybe that's what I'm thinking of. Can't win them all :)

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
The HTML5 client is only on Mac right now, but apparently you can use the HTML5 console on every OS in a rather unsupported manner. http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/09/how-to-generate-pre-authenticated-html5.html

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone here using Vmware's DR or whatever they call IaaS hot sites? I'd love to know how they perform.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone here using Vmware's DR or whatever they call IaaS hot sites? I'd love to know how they perform.

Are you talking about their DRaaS thing through vCHS? That was said to be in beta this quarter, so I doubt you'll find anyone actually using it, or that could talk about it if they were.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Isn't it just vCD ran by VMware because they thought their partners were sucking rear end?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Pantology posted:

Are you talking about their DRaaS thing through vCHS? That was said to be in beta this quarter, so I doubt you'll find anyone actually using it, or that could talk about it if they were.

Yeah But I wasn't sure if any one had touched it, but if there is an NDA in place that makes sense why I haven't heard much about it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Some more virtualisation retardation from work today: "Oh, CPU utilisation on the Exchange mailbox database servers is 100%. We better increase the number of vCPUs from 4 to 8, that'll fix it!"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hooray, I ran into my first "everyone has their virus scan scheduled at the exact same time" issue today :haw:

I feel it's like a rite of passage I guess.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Martytoof posted:

Hooray, I ran into my first "everyone has their virus scan scheduled at the exact same time" issue today :haw:

While I've never run into this, I have had "All my VMs are pulling updated packages from our internal mrepo in the same one-hour window" before.

On an NFS datastore

:cry:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cidrick posted:

On an NFS datastore
Why does this matter?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Just be glad you didn't encounter a "someone configured all Windows VMs to run a defrag on all disks at the exact same time and the SAN/NAS has copy-on-write enabled" :unsmigghh:

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

evil_bunnY posted:

Why does this matter?

Of all our farms, the VMs running on a Netapp filer (we have 800 or so) have, by far, the worst datastore latency. It really snowballs when you have a lot of VMs performing i/o at once.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cidrick posted:

Of all our farms, the VMs running on a Netapp filer (we have 800 or so) have, by far, the worst datastore latency. It really snowballs when you have a lot of VMs performing i/o at once.
But that's not an NFS issue, it's an old-rear end netapp issue.

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been contributing to this thread which I have been powering through over the last 2 months, it has been super helpful to get some idea of what other people's environments look like and the troubles that have been encountered. Our VMware guy jumped ship 2 weeks ago so I was "promoted" to being in charge of 50+ hosts, including a half-setup AutoDeploy environment. It's cool, I took the ICM class so I guess I am an expert right :suicide:

In all honesty though I'm super thrilled by the technology and the learning opportunities and look forward to contributing here/posting stupid questions that I will doubtlessly be ridiculed for asking.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CtrlMagicDel posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been contributing to this thread which I have been powering through over the last 2 months, it has been super helpful to get some idea of what other people's environments look like and the troubles that have been encountered. Our VMware guy jumped ship 2 weeks ago so I was "promoted" to being in charge of 50+ hosts, including a half-setup AutoDeploy environment. It's cool, I took the ICM class so I guess I am an expert right :suicide:

In all honesty though I'm super thrilled by the technology and the learning opportunities and look forward to contributing here/posting stupid questions that I will doubtlessly be ridiculed for asking.
Having no clue, but being inquisitive and wanting to do things the right way, already puts you ahead of 90% of the people who run this poo poo in production.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Misogynist posted:

Having no clue, but being inquisitive and wanting to do things the right way, already puts you ahead of 90% of the people who run this poo poo in production.

This a million times. The number of people I work with/have worked with who will hack their way through something then drop it as soon as it partially works is insane. Taking the time to read about best practices and test your stuff before hand will really expand your skillset/knowledge.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Misogynist posted:

This is filling me with confidence. I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy at work with a home lab environment. I think I'm going to be making a lot more money in the next five years or so.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Misogynist posted:

The secret of IT.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone else here teach VMware? Sounds like the CC I work with wants to do online classes, would love some insight as how others do it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a good "Hyper-V for VMware dudes" primer? Most of the stuff is pretty straightforward but I'd love to read something that approaches teaching the material from that angle.

I got my first Hyper-V client today and I spent most of the day shadowing our Hyper-V mans around going "ah ok" and "oh I gotcha" after everything they said. Not too bad, but I definitely don't want to touch without more reading.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Is there a good "Hyper-V for VMware dudes" primer? Most of the stuff is pretty straightforward but I'd love to read something that approaches teaching the material from that angle.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Serve...ds=hyper-v+2012
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Serve...ds=hyper-v+2012

Passed around at my office a bit, but beware. You'll be saying "Oh what hyper-v can't do that" a lot, if you took ICM.

these are the only 2 I have seen in my office FYI could be better stuff out there.

Also anyone else testing out VSAN's? any major issues to report?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Martytoof posted:

Yes:

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/microsoft-virtualization-for-vmware-professionals-jump-start#?fbid=cKKAesgMWOG