Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I bet this game will be a lot of fun now that every new thing has been revealed and talked to death weeks before it's even out.

There's apparently a lot of stuff the guys with review code aren't talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

superoxen posted:

Finally finished my first game on Normal, and it only got easier past the alien base. You guys aren't kidding when you say Ghost armor is totally overpowered, I wiped out everything in the final boss room in one turn.

You're pretty screwed in the final boss if you don't do this, so beating the game is tantamount to having done so.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mortabis posted:

You're pretty screwed in the final boss if you don't do this, so beating the game is tantamount to having done so.

To be fair I first beat the game wiping out the entire room. It's pretty doggone easy to kill the uber ethereal in one turn without ghost armor, though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Mortabis posted:

I beat the game never even touching ghost or archangel armour.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Deltasquid posted:

I beat the game never even touching ghost or archangel armour.

Not talking about ghost armor, I mean killing the Ethereals on the first turn. If they manage to mind control two of your dudes, then you're pretty screwed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ugh. Playing on Classic for the first time and the game seems to physically resent me doing too well. I've gotten nothing but A ratings so far (into June now) but it seems every time I land a critical hit the game shits itself and crashes in protest.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I finally quit dragging my feet, and finished Classic Ironman. Lots of fun, but when you have ten-twelve colonels and majors, you don't have too much to worry about.

But now I'm finally ready for Enemy Within! :getin:

:ninja: edit: by which I mean ten colonels and twelve majors, of course! :black101:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mortabis posted:

Not talking about ghost armor, I mean killing the Ethereals on the first turn. If they manage to mind control two of your dudes, then you're pretty screwed.

If you keep your guys close together, you can keep the ethereals split up and engage the room one half at a time. Then it's simply a matter of killing mind controlling ethereals and or suppressing your troops that you can't free. It's not too horrible and works as a big climatic fight to finish the game.

But why would you do that when one rounding the boss is so much easier?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

poptart_fairy posted:

There's apparently a lot of stuff the guys with review code aren't talking about.
Though there's been plenty of heavy hints dropped.

As soon as I saw the new custom medals feature I've been desperately wanting to know what the character limit is on them. I really want to name a +aim one to "The Oakley Memorial Can't Shoot Award".

VVVVV edit:
It hasn't been shown, but both the trailer and some previews have telegraphed there's an Xcom base defense mission.

edit 2: Oh I guess I'm a bit behind, that was officially announced 3 days ago.

Edit The Third: "Beagle Memorial Destructible Cover Award"

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 27, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

Though there's been plenty of heavy hints dropped.

What kind of heavy hints? I was under the impression that we pretty much know everything, now. Not that this necessarily would be a bad thing, it's a strategy game and there aren't really any spoilers for it and it's important to know what you're getting in advance.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Gamespot's base defense video hints at new one-off special missions - they refer to one versus a large number of zombies and chrysalids in a fishing village. I wonder if those were added to the pool of council missions.

I'm a little skeptical of the base defense mission, for the same reason I'm skeptical of story-heavy stuff like Slingshot and Progeny. Is it the same in every playthrough? What happens if you lose the base defense mission - do you start it over and try again, even on ironman?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Poisoned by thin man
One point of damage taken
Six panic as one

Just saw this. :neckbeard:

If someone can suggest a decent XCOM avatar to go with it, then I'm getting a new title sorted as this. I lost my poptart farting fairy lady, unfortunately.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Do we know if slingshot is still going to be in? I liked Slingshot, but i didn't like the fact that it completely replaced all other council missions.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
^^^ On PC, Slingshot is still in if you own Slingshot. It's still separate DLC but works with the new EW. On consoles, EW is an all-in-one box that includes Slingshot.

Ugh, the guys talking are terrible. Don't click.

Space Hamlet posted:

I'm a little skeptical of the base defense mission, for the same reason I'm skeptical of story-heavy stuff like Slingshot and Progeny. Is it the same in every playthrough? What happens if you lose the base defense mission - do you start it over and try again, even on ironman?
Base Defense could easily be semi-random in the same way as the Alien Base Assault mission -- randomized alien spawns, and map variants (that map looks pretty detailed though so maybe not). I don't know what else to do, people wanted a base invasion like classic x-com so they've added it. This game doesn't have the tech for custom base levels like old x-com.

Here's how I predict they're going to handle the consequences of the base invasion: losing the mission will be an instant game over, but the mission itself will be difficult to lose (you get reinforcements and extra security rookies). Maybe the main outcome will be that base facilities can be destroyed during the invasion, and your performance determines how many tiles get removed.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Klyith posted:

Here's how I predict they're going to handle the consequences of the base invasion: losing the mission will be an instant game over, but the mission itself will be difficult to lose (you get reinforcements and extra security rookies). Maybe the main outcome will be that base facilities can be destroyed during the invasion, and your performance determines how many tiles get removed.

Losing tiles would be a good punishment for doing poorly. "I lost a nexus?! Crap! there goes 4-6 satellites."

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Given how tight money is in this game, I'm not in the habit of building facilities I can do without. Losing almost any one of them would be catastrophic. I'm guessing it's going to be something like the Alien Base mission, the difference being that you don't have the luxury of choosing when it will happen.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Mr Dog posted:

Given how tight money is in this game, I'm not in the habit of building facilities I can do without. Losing almost any one of them would be catastrophic. I'm guessing it's going to be something like the Alien Base mission, the difference being that you don't have the luxury of choosing when it will happen.
I almost hope you do get to choose when it happens. The thought of the aliens giving Bradford a call to book an appointment only to here "We're sorry but all operators are currently busy, please hold. Your current position in the queue is 3724. Your call is important to us." is hilarious to me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If a base defense is something that can only happen after you've made a (perhaps inevitable) mistake, such as losing a satellite (which feeds info back to your base, after all) or a council nation leaving the project (turning over your whereabouts to the aliens), then you could "schedule" it to an extent.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 28, 2013

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
re: base invasions

The implication from that video was that it was a retaliation for the alien base invasion. The fluff will probably say something about how they used the captured hyperwave beacon to attack you and MC half of your dudes in one shot. The Hyperwave Relay already makes life annoying by spontaneously detecting the overseer ship and forcing you to have Firestorms ready basically right the gently caress now, sounds like that thing's going to continue to be a Pandora's Box in EW.

Mr Toes
Jan 2, 2008
Digitally Challenged

Mr Dog posted:

The implication from that video was that it was a retaliation for the alien base invasion. The fluff will probably say something about how they used the captured hyperwave beacon to attack you and MC half of your dudes in one shot. The Hyperwave Relay already makes life annoying by spontaneously detecting the overseer ship and forcing you to have Firestorms ready basically right the gently caress now, sounds like that thing's going to continue to be a Pandora's Box in EW.

To be honest, I was kind of surprised that this didn't happen in the original game. Mind you, I was also waiting for Dr. Vahlen to betray me at some point. Something about her single-minded fascination with the aliens and alien technology sent up a red flag in my mind.

I am an awful judge of character. :(

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

Pretty sure you can ignore the Overseer ship and it won't impact your panic levels and it'll randomly spawn after that.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

What's the rookie starting stat range again? 21-59 will [step 2] and 40-80 aim [step 5]? Been messing about savescumming the start of the game for optimal stat fun with second wave options on.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
25% off code for GMG. Stacks with the 10% they already have off the original price meaning it's £13.50 until the 1st November.

GMG25-3P6V5-3Q850

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Veotax posted:

Pretty sure you can ignore the Overseer ship and it won't impact your panic levels and it'll randomly spawn after that.

You would be wrong. It counts as an escaped UFO and explodes panic ratings if you can't shoot it down.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That's what killed my first game ever--I didn't have anything that could take the overseer down because I had completely neglected my air-space defense. Now I rush Firestorms every game just to make sure I don't end up in a situation like that ever again.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

zylche posted:

What's the rookie starting stat range again? 21-59 will [step 2] and 40-80 aim [step 5]? Been messing about savescumming the start of the game for optimal stat fun with second wave options on.

Low_will is 25, and low_aim is 55, but other than that you've got it right. Don't forget though that your chances of getting a Rookie with 80 Aim aren't just 1:6 since those last 5 points are a bonus that only Rookies who roll 75 for their Aim can even get a chance to roll for (it's more like a 1:10 chance that you'll get a rookie with 80 Aim).

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Lotish posted:

That's what killed my first game ever--I didn't have anything that could take the overseer down because I had completely neglected my air-space defense. Now I rush Firestorms every game just to make sure I don't end up in a situation like that ever again.

Same here; first battleship ate all my bog-standard interceptors and, welp.

Speaking of which, has there been any mention whether the air game is getting anything new with EW?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Given that they've been pretty free with the info and they haven't said anything about it, I'm guessing no. Maybe there'll be a new gun or consumable boost but odds are? Probably not even that.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Fanzay posted:

You would be wrong. It counts as an escaped UFO and explodes panic ratings if you can't shoot it down.

My first run in the game I let like 5 of the Overseer ships escape because I had neither the tech nor the resources to build a Firestorm and the council was pissed

In my Classic run I've gotten past the Alien Base mission and it feels like I've gone over the hump and it'll basically be coasting now? Its hard to tell. I have laser tech and carapace, and 2 Sniper colonels with squadsight and double tap so every encounter is pretty quick and easy now, even Cyberdiscs dont really get to do more than poke their heads before they get two laser rounds through the dome and they're down.

Should I expect more difficulty when the elite versions of enemies and sectopods came around, or is it smooth sailing from here? I'm starting to understand the folks that pretty much re-start the game when they reach a certain point...

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mike N Eich posted:

Should I expect more difficulty when the elite versions of enemies and sectopods came around, or is it smooth sailing from here? I'm starting to understand the folks that pretty much re-start the game when they reach a certain point...

It all depends on how much you like fighting the late-game enemies. I personally like how easy ethereals and muton elites can wreck your poo poo if you fail to take them out quick, but your skills and equipment should see you through without to much trouble.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

Yes Muton Elites and Sectopods provide one more noticeable difficulty spike, so don't get careless or you could lose some troops.

Sectopods in particular can be surprising and don't always follow the rules other units do. I just tried rushing one with an Alloy cannon Assault Colonel and the fucker took Five overwatch reaction shots in a row on her in a single turn! (luckily only one hit but still what the hell)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

p.crestmont posted:

Yes Muton Elites and Sectopods provide one more noticeable difficulty spike, so don't get careless or you could lose some troops.

Sectopods in particular can be surprising and don't always follow the rules other units do. I just tried rushing one with an Alloy cannon Assault Colonel and the fucker took Five overwatch reaction shots in a row on her in a single turn! (luckily only one hit but still what the hell)

Don't use Disabling Shot on Sectopods, it's hilariously bugged.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

p.crestmont posted:

I just tried rushing one with an Alloy cannon Assault Colonel and the fucker took Five overwatch reaction shots in a row on her in a single turn! (luckily only one hit but still what the hell)

I'm guessing you tried to use disabling shot on it beforehand?
There's a line in the OP about that one. My assault wasn't so lucky :suicide:

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

Don't use Disabling Shot on Sectopods, it's hilariously bugged.

animatorZed posted:

I'm guessing you tried to use disabling shot on it beforehand?
There's a line in the OP about that one. My assault wasn't so lucky :suicide:

Yuuup, I vaguely recalled something causing an unlimited overwatch glitch with them but didn't remember what it was. I think this was one or two turns after using the disabling shot too, after realizing it did jack poo poo to the 'pod when it started shooting immediately.

My Assault had 25 hp so I figured no matter what happened she'd be safe for at least one turn but holy crap.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It's a particularly aggravating bug because disabling shot is pretty much good for only two things: disabling sectopods, and disabling mind controlled teammates.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Just saw this. :neckbeard:

If someone can suggest a decent XCOM avatar to go with it, then I'm getting a new title sorted as this. I lost my poptart farting fairy lady, unfortunately.

The screaming rookie from the original X-COM. Or, this image, zoomed way the gently caress out.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 29, 2013

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Helloooo

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Maybe next time aliens.

Just realized I forgot to use long war's second item slot on this mission.

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 29, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Let me guess how this mission went:

"Huh, sure is quiet in this mission. I wonder where all the aliens-Ah! There they are!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I picked up Enemy Unknown last week and I'm starting to get a feel for the game I think.

I played a bit on Normal to get my bearings, and I've started a new game on Classic.

Any good basic advice to pass along? I started my base in Africa, and I'm going to try and get some more satellites up ASAP.

Also, I can't seem to get the hang of how to flank aliens. Every time I try to circle around to the side or rear, I never seem to get that yellow shield icon to show on them.

• Locked thread