Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

shoognite posted:

When did this change? I always thought healing signet was junk.

Mending or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

shoognite posted:

When did this change? I always thought healing signet was junk.

A couple months ago. It's the best warrior heal now to the point that it's borderline OP. Cleansing Ire beats Mending by a mile.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ItBurns posted:

A couple months ago. It's the best warrior heal now to the point that it's borderline OP. Cleansing Ire beats Mending by a mile.

Is that a new trait?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

teagone posted:

Is that a new trait?

It's like 4 months old, but it's new since release.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Ghostpilot posted:

Here's a variant of a build I was running before I switched to SD Rifle.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQJAqelIq6ZHxShF1LJy4DdGYBiUkfW2nHvVaBhA-j0CBohChUgAUFIEBg5QFRjtsuIasKZwqbY6YDR1cLRmcDrWKAYmDA-w

(+ A lot of really great engie info)

Thank you so much for this post.

VoodooChild
Feb 2, 2003

Watering can... Where are you Mr.Watering can?

Ghostpilot posted:

Here's a variant of a build I was running before I switched to SD Rifle

I've just hit 80 on my engineer and, having been inspired by a bunch of your previous posts, was wondering why settled on SD rifle as your build of choice?

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
With the changes to magic find, can I just buy a million of the cheapest blue items and get magic find by salvaging them? Is there a better way to do it?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Laterbase posted:

With the changes to magic find, can I just buy a million of the cheapest blue items and get magic find by salvaging them? Is there a better way to do it?

You can, but blues are no longer vendor prices and the amount of luck you need to get in order to get your MF above 100 will require thousands of them. Its not bad idea as a LONG term investment but you're going to be spending a bunch of money for no immediate gain. Another good way is to salvage ectos, they give a bunch of luck and you can sell the crystalline dust afterwards to make up some of the cost.

Lamp Stack
Jan 14, 2011

VoodooChild posted:

I've just hit 80 on my engineer and, having been inspired by a bunch of your previous posts, was wondering why settled on SD rifle as your build of choice?

I'm not Ghostpilot but most other SD engineers including myself use SD mainly to slow our imminent carpal tunnel from throwing grenades for days on end. It's probably worse overall for PvE performance-wise compared to a grenade build.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

VoodooChild posted:

Oh several reasons, really. I've always liked Rifle and rarely saw it in use, so I thought I'd mess with it and see what I could get out of it. I also wanted something that I knew wouldn't be nerfed into oblivion. They were messing around with Kits a lot at the time and the only one that had any real viability in most situations was Grenade Kit (prior to this I was all about Flamethrower).

Unfortunately for me, I just didn't care for it very much and there were grumblings from the dev streams that they were going to be "taking a look at it." At the time them looking at anything generally meant bad news, so I considered the two remaining weapons that hadn't be messed with: Pistols and Rifle. By this point I figured I'd done all I could do with condition damage builds, so I figured I'd go with direct damage.

Also, I really like controls. The only other build that can compete with Rifle in that regard is Bomb Kit and there're just too many situations where Bomb Kit just won't do you much good. With my particular setup, I have a launcher, a pull, an immobilize, multiple cripples, a stun, and options for more with my utility slot. Between that, Tool Kit's gear shield, perma-vigor / swiftness and Skale Venom you can make yourself a lot harder to kill than the glass cannon nature the build suggests.

You can also hit some creative angles with your attacks, such as shooting a buffing turret, Mark T-B34RC3 and the buffing turret behind it in CoE. You can substantially improve your AoE damage by learning how to line up your shots (something that's often overlooked).

Another aspect of this is fields and finishers. Hip Shot is a 20% projectile finisher while Surprise Shot, Throw Wrench and Launch Personal Battering Ram are 100% projectile finishers. If you were you drop a Smoke Bomb and then shoot through it, you'll be applying a burst of blinds. This is particularly important to Hip Shot and Throw Wrench as both of those pierce. A piercing projectile that goes through a combo field will apply the finisher on everything it hits.

So if there are 3 enemies behind a poison field when you use Throw Wrench, it will apply 2 seconds of poison on all 3 of those enemies both coming and going (for a total of 4 seconds of poison on each). The reverse is true as well: if you Hip Shot through a light field and that projectile passed through an ally, it'll remove a condition.

You can also mimic Rocket Boots by using Jump Shot and then switching to a kit before you land to cancel the stomp animation.

The are a lot of creative little things like that with SD Rifle, which is what makes the build so interesting to me. Not to mention that the burst is extremely potent even compared to other classes.

You'll sometimes encounter people who'll say that it's not potent in PvE (or elsewhere), but I can assure you that it is. Seriously, where did people even get this idea?

BathroomTile posted:

Thank you so much for this post.

Sure thing! :)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Laterbase posted:

Greens are better for MF, because they always salvage into at least 10 luck. If you're patient, look up greens with low buy orders and order in bulk. The best are things that salvage into iron, platinum, soft logs, or seasoned logs because you can break even or even profit. I recommend an infinite use kit and AutoHotkey if you're willing to salvage thousand and thousands of greens.

Kazoo
Apr 22, 2009

I got a mount

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've been trying to get up there for a year.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Roflex posted:

I've been trying to get up there for a year.
Somebody repost the LA conquered by SFD banners.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
It's too bad they removed the giant lion penis, it really made LA feel authentic.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

So I got a bit further in the old personal story and I have to ask: what's that gun the pale reavers are using, why isn't EVERYONE using it and where can I get one? I ran a mission with three of them and I didn't get a single loving kill in and the undead were flying all over the damned map it was loving hysterical. I want one of those guns!

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Dukka posted:

Somebody repost the LA conquered by SFD banners.

Some more here http://minus.com/mbpxI8BtxZ93Gf

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:siren::siren::siren:

Reminder for anyone reading this thread who does not yet have GW2, it's on sale again today!

https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/ 40% off, $29.99 for today only.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
WOW this condi engie build is something else. :stare:

It starts out slow then half their lifebar just vanishes.

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007
I decided to give this game a shot since it was 20 bux off this weekend and holy poo poo why did I not get this earlier.

I've been doing my main story quest and filling in with the area heart quests and random events until I get to the level of my next story quest. Is this the most efficient way of leveling?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Insensative_Asshole posted:

I decided to give this game a shot since it was 20 bux off this weekend and holy poo poo why did I not get this earlier.

I've been doing my main story quest and filling in with the area heart quests and random events until I get to the level of my next story quest. Is this the most efficient way of leveling?

Yes, but forget about being efficient just wander around and have fun, there is no rush to end game, since there is none to speak of at 80 that in any way is different from the leveling.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

You won't suddenly have more fun when you reach max level. You are experiencing the end game right now. Just take your time and enjoy the ride. Have fun!

But I will say this, if you are doing things and trying to fill a heart when an event starts nearby, drop whatever you are doing and go do that event. It will likely count towards the heart's completion and will definitely be better experience than if you skip it.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

MadHat posted:

Yes, but forget about being efficient just wander around and have fun, there is no rush to end game, since there is none to speak of at 80 that in any way is different from the leveling.

This. I bought the game on release, forgot about it for a bit, then came back recently. I haven't even level capped and I'm having a ball just exploring zones and finding cool things to do. I love the stuff like Vistas and jump puzzles that give me a strong incentive to actually wander off the path and interact with the environment. WvW letting me get in on the "end game" at level 30 is amazing and outside of the fun it rewards you by giving you exp for helping your server do well. It's just my experience but I haven't hit an area yet where the mobs are just skins on hp and I have to slog through 8 quests of them in order to have fun. I may have only gotten my Mesmer to 67 so far but that time has been a lot more fulfilling than my last several months of stand and cast MMO raiding.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Can someone give me a definitive answer on some boon and condition damage stuff? Googling this is producing pages and pages of questions and very few answers.

1) How are intensity stacks handled when they cap at 25 and two players are applying the same condition (bleed/confusion/torment).

Does the newest effect kick off the oldest effect? Does the strongest effect kick off the weakest effect? Does the newest effect not get applied at all?

2) How are damage ticks handled on duration based conditions when two players are applying the same condition. If four other players in a dungeon are throwing random 1-3s Burns/Poisons on a target with low condition damage and I'm throwing out 5-10-15s with high condition damage, whose condition damage is being used on each damage tick?

3) How are fractional ticks handled? The closest I've come to what looks to be a correct answer is that all conditions stay on for the full fractional duration, be it 5.1s or 5.9s, but, they only actually deal damage on the whole seconds. iow you could have a 5.9s bleed on someone, it would tick 5 pulses of damage, remain for .9s, do no more damage, and then fall off. The duration on the tooltip is rounded to the nearest 1/4 second, but the actual duration is retained regardless internally. This sounds weird and strange, is it true?

4) How is fractional duration handled? Related to #3, the answer I read was that because fractional durations are kept, if you stacked two 5.5s burns, you would get an extra tick of burning damage at the 11s mark.

5) How are extra stacks of Vuln handled at 25 stacks - if you're applying longer duration stacks than someone else, whose stacks go on? (probably academic obviously, just trying to suss out how they handle this stuff)

6) How are fluctuating Might stacks/condition damage/power handled for already applied and newly applied conditions? If I have 5 stacks of Bleed at Might stack X, condition damage Y, then I gain some might stacks and some condition damage, what happens to the existing stacks? If I have 5s of Burning, what happens if my current Might/condition damage changes? What if I apply more Burning duration?

7) For boons, a bit simpler, but again, how are fractional durations handled? iow, is more boon duration % always useful because they keep fractional bonuses, whereas more condition duration % is sometimes useful because bleed/confusion/torment won't gain anything from partial ticks, but burn/poison might and cripple/vuln/chill/weakness do?

This poo poo is confusing as hell :(

Even ignoring all of the above weirdness, I can't for the life of me figure how to evaluate condition damage relative to power/crit/crit damage, because it ignores armor, and is subject to strange stacking rules (heck I'd be happy if I could at least evaluate it in a vacuum, even ignoring potentially stepping on each others feet in a dungeon).

victrix fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 28, 2013

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

victrix posted:

3) How are fractional ticks handled? The closest I've come to what looks to be a correct answer is that all conditions stay on for the full fractional duration, be it 5.1s or 5.9s, but, they only actually deal damage on the whole seconds. iow you could have a 5.9s bleed on someone, it would tick 5 pulses of damage, remain for .9s, do no more damage, and then fall off. The duration on the tooltip is rounded to the nearest 1/4 second, but the actual duration is retained regardless internally. This sounds weird and strange, is it true?

4) How is fractional duration handled? Related to #3, the answer I read was that because fractional durations are kept, if you stacked two 5.5s burns, you would get an extra tick of burning damage at the 11s mark.

6) How are fluctuating Might stacks/condition damage/power handled for already applied and newly applied conditions? If I have 5 stacks of Bleed at Might stack X, condition damage Y, then I gain some might stacks and some condition damage, what happens to the existing stacks? If I have 5s of Burning, what happens if my current Might/condition damage changes? What if I apply more Burning duration?

6) For boons, a bit simpler, but again, how are fractional durations handled? iow, is more boon duration % always useful because they keep fractional bonuses, whereas more condition duration % is sometimes useful because bleed/confusion/torment won't gain anything from partial ticks, but burn/poison might and cripple/vuln/chill/weakness do?

3) This is correct. It works this way because everything about your damage/conditions is changing live - i.e. if you, for example, eat a condi duration food after you throw a condition on someone, that condition will immediately extend. So in your example, if your condi duration suddenly extended such that you would cross the extra second, your enemy will take the extra damage tick.

4) Also correct, which is why there's such a priority on necros to get to 100% condition duration.

6) Yes, as stated above stuff changes live. Might/condi damage you gain while a condition is already on your target will increase the damage on that target.

6) Correct. Fractional duration on boons is still useful, fractional duration on non-damaging conditions is still useful (they will be confused/crippled for that extra bit of time) but fractional durations on damaging conditions do not cause a tick.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Thanks, that's unusual - that's a hell of a lot of live back and forth data tracking for a lot of stacks based on personal attributes.

It does make certain traits that provide temporary boosts to attributes look more appealing now that I know they're instantly boosting my condition damage output. I have no loving idea how I'd compute the dps gain, but at least I know it's there!

Now I just need to figure out how the intensity 25 stack stuff is handled.

What a mess, 5 players with berserker gear mashing direct damage abilities don't have to deal with this :mad:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

victrix posted:

Thanks, that's unusual - that's a hell of a lot of live back and forth data tracking for a lot of stacks based on personal attributes.

Bandwidth, brah.

Honestly, I've been playing this game for a while and I think I have a decent grasp of most of the engine-side mechanics but the questions I deleted from your post? I don't have enough confidence to give you a definitive answer.

You can calculate condition damage's impact on your ticks straight up, though - http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition_Damage has the table. Keep in mind that it's always the base damage that gets modified.

(anecdotally, the live updating of your stats actually has a small effect on strategy, too. back when HGH grenades was a big thing it was considered good play to already have your grenade barrage in the air as you downed your last elixir, and then swapped to your normal weapon so that the weapon stats would apply. good times.)

Kessel fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 28, 2013

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

Alteisen posted:

WOW this condi engie build is something else. :stare:

It starts out slow then half their lifebar just vanishes.

Which one? I'm getting bored of my toolkit/gadget build (which is a lot of fun to honest, but I like to change things up from time to time).

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007
Where can I have the most fun in wPvP? It seems that its a 3 way server battle. Is there one of the three zones that is more active than others? I went to Maguuna frontier area and had no idea what I was doing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Do goons still do fractals? Particularly lower level ones? Before I left, I only got up to fractal level 13 and would like to do some runs again now that you get pristine relics daily in the bonus chest.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Where can I have the most fun in wPvP? It seems that its a 3 way server battle. Is there one of the three zones that is more active than others? I went to Maguuna frontier area and had no idea what I was doing.

Eternal Battlegrounds is usually the most populated. You're probably going to running into huge groups of people or very dangerous small groups since Maguuma is in the gold league and the other servers are really good.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

victrix posted:

It does make certain traits that provide temporary boosts to attributes look more appealing now that I know they're instantly boosting my condition damage output. I have no loving idea how I'd compute the dps gain, but at least I know it's there!

Now I just need to figure out how the intensity 25 stack stuff is handled.

What a mess, 5 players with berserker gear mashing direct damage abilities don't have to deal with this :mad:

As far as I am aware 25 Stacks are first in first out, So once you hit 25 the oldest source available will be purged for any new incoming source.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Hop on the Mumble and they'll be able to tell you where the main server Zerg is at.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

teagone posted:

Do goons still do fractals? Particularly lower level ones? Before I left, I only got up to fractal level 13 and would like to do some runs again now that you get pristine relics daily in the bonus chest.

I have specifically been looking for this for a couple weeks and there's been nothing. I make quite a bit of gold so I could buy myself the expensive infusions to get into higher fractals, but I feel like I'd look stupid if I showed up to a 28 or 38 without ever having done fractals before.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I figured I'm quitting nicotine so I might as well pick up something else that's probably bad for me (the sale didn't hurt either).

Humans-are-BEST stuff aside, does racial choice pretty much just affect the story and how pretty of a princess I can/can't be?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Each race also has access to different racial skills that they can choose to use over one their class abilities. I play an Asura Mesmer and in all cases, doing this would be a mistake. I've heard humans have a useful racial skill (their healing one?) but I'm not sure.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
The human Balthazar elite can be useful on some classes with uninspiring alternatives. The norn snow leopard elite is nice in wvw roaming for speed/stealth. The asura poison field can be okay if you're a condition spec that otherwise lacks that debuff.

They're all disabled in spvp (distressing the 7 people that actively play spvp), and in general none of them are worth fretting over.

Trelack
May 23, 2009
The Charr racial utiliy Hidden Pistol is useful to a Necromancer if you want to be able to dodge like the lesser classes. Seconding Norn snow lepoard for minor stealth on any non theif/mesmer/engi/(do eles get smoke fields?).

Truth be told though it's super rare you'll want a racial as class skills are often too good to pass up.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
Recent studies indicate that charr are best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

teagone posted:

There are a bunch of goons that run them daily (around the evenings / late night). I sometimes come along, but fractals don't have much to offer me these days (dungeons are generally better for gold and less of a commitment on time). A talented set of goons as well.

victrix posted:

Can someone give me a definitive answer on some boon and condition damage stuff? Googling this is producing pages and pages of questions and very few answers.

1) How are intensity stacks handled when they cap at 25 and two players are applying the same condition (bleed/confusion/torment).

Does the newest effect kick off the oldest effect? Does the strongest effect kick off the weakest effect? Does the newest effect not get applied at all?

2) How are damage ticks handled on duration based conditions when two players are applying the same condition. If four other players in a dungeon are throwing random 1-3s Burns/Poisons on a target with low condition damage and I'm throwing out 5-10-15s with high condition damage, whose condition damage is being used on each damage tick?

5) How are extra stacks of Vuln handled at 25 stacks - if you're applying longer duration stacks than someone else, whose stacks go on? (probably academic obviously, just trying to suss out how they handle this stuff)

This poo poo is confusing as hell :(

Even ignoring all of the above weirdness, I can't for the life of me figure how to evaluate condition damage relative to power/crit/crit damage, because it ignores armor, and is subject to strange stacking rules (heck I'd be happy if I could at least evaluate it in a vacuum, even ignoring potentially stepping on each others feet in a dungeon).

I'll attempt to cover the ones that Kes skipped over.

1). At that point nothing really happens. You're basically hoping for a stack to fall off when you attack so you can take that slot. This is why condition duration is useful because it allows you to claim those slots for a long time.

2). Basically the same as the above. When you hit something that's already burning with an attack that applies burning, you're put into a queue of sorts. When their burn (or poison) runs out, yours will kick in.

Say if I apply 3 seconds of a 404 burn and you come in and apply 5 seconds of a 750 burn. Your time gets added to the burn duration, but it won't tick for your damage until mine runs out. Back when I ran condition damage builds I was wondering why vs world bosses there was sometimes a lengthy delay before my numbers started when I put it together.

5). This is a trickier one to check, but pretty close to how #1 is figured. If an enemy has 23 stacks of vulnerability and you apply 5 more, 2 of those will take for however long your duration is. So if those 23 stacks lasted for 2 seconds and yours lasted for 10, the enemy will drop down to your 2 stacks when those 23 ran out. This tends to not matter so much as so few builds can stack vulnerability like that. And any build that can pump out that kind of vulnerability (Grenades) is going to be throwing out enough of it to not be concerned about it anyway.

Hope that helps!

shymog posted:

I figured I'm quitting nicotine so I might as well pick up something else that's probably bad for me (the sale didn't hurt either).

Humans-are-BEST stuff aside, does racial choice pretty much just affect the story and how pretty of a princess I can/can't be?

As others have said, it'll only effect the story in the early stages (with some sidetracks here and there). By the time you get around the level 40-50 story portions all of that stuff will be wrapped up and inconsequential to the main plot. There are racial abilities as well, but as they lack any kind of trait support you'll find that those will often fall to the wayside unless no other ability serves that particular purpose.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 28, 2013

• Locked thread