Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Doom Itself posted:

I do not understand the nickname censorship in this game. I'm nicknaming my pokemon after different gods and godesses. I can't call my Sandile Sobek (SOB I guess?), but somehow Janus makes the cut.

That odd since I remember naming the Gen 2 water starter Sobek back in D/P.

Anyway I am thinking of raising a Muk since he was always one of my favorite pokemon to use and one of the friend safari in my game has them. What is a good nature/moveset for him and should I try for the hidden ability in the safari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The right to left thing is almost definitely a Jewish conspiracy. Of course they're the ones running the lotto.

Edit:

For clarification, Hebrew is the only language I can think of that goes right to left.

I believe Arabic does.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Doom Itself posted:

I do not understand the nickname censorship in this game. I'm nicknaming my pokemon after different gods and godesses. I can't call my Sandile Sobek (SOB I guess?), but somehow Janus makes the cut.

The game is multilingual, so they censor lots of stuff that doesn't make sense to Americans. I only speak English myself so I don't know what might trigger it outside of the obvious, but I know a few days ago someone got denied because their name contained a French profanity.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Hammerite posted:

IDs are from 00000 to 65535. If they had it match from the left it would make it easier to win the prizes.

I'm just disappointed that the day's Lotto Number doesn't show on the big screen behind the Lotto Woman.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rirse posted:

Anyway I am thinking of raising a Muk since he was always one of my favorite pokemon to use and one of the friend safari in my game has them. What is a good nature/moveset for him and should I try for the hidden ability in the safari?

Gen 4 didn't have a censor. Gen 5 is when the censor started.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

So I'm throwing together an In-game rain team (or at least the core of one) and realized only after doing all the training for my Lotad that Leech Seed has to be bred on to him. Should I hatch another or is there a different move that would work well for him?

Ludicolo@Leftovers
Calm, Rain Dish
Scald (Maybe surf)
Rain Dance
Giga Drain
???? (Leech seed)

The rest of the team:

Vaporeon@??? (could use suggestions for item)
Modest, Hydration
Rest
Wish
Ice Beam
Surf (Scald?)

Ampharos@Ampharosite
Modest
Thunder
Signal Beam
Power Gem
???

This is the first gimmick-type team I've tried to put together so any suggestions on what to change/add or fill the last three slots with are more than welcome.

I just trained up an in-game doubles Rain team:

Politoed @ Leftovers
Modest, Drizzle
Hypnosis
Surf
Psychic
Ice Beam

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Adamant, Dry Skin
Sucker Punch
Drain Punch
Poison Jab
Taunt

Heliolisk @ Wide Lens
Modest, Dry Skin
Thunder
Hyper Beam
Focus Blast
Thunder Wave

Gyrados @ Gyradosite
Adamant, Intimidate
Ice Fang
Aqua Tail
Payback
Dragon Dance

Got through the normal doubles without a single issue. Gyrados is the weakest link on the team, believe it or not. If the team doesn't get OHKO'd they're going to regain 50% plus of their health.

isr
Jun 13, 2013
I haven't played a pokemon since red, which I played to death, loved exploring and collecting, finding new little dudes everywhere. Its quite enjoyable to relive that experience with pkmn x, some pretty good stuff.

Naughty by nature :mmmhmm:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Is there any other Pokemon than Breeloom that can Learn a sleep move/false swipe? I was considering Gallade but that would be a tremendous amount of effort for a catching Pokemon.

Oh man, if only Pinsir learned yawn or something, Mega-pinsir would be the best catching pokemon there is even against ghost types.

Filthy Haiku fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 28, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Rirse posted:

On abilities: Muk's abilities are pretty decent all around, so I can't say for sure which is the best. It'd be build-dependant. Muk can have Sticky Hold, which prevents him from losing his hold item. Not sure how prevelant moves that gently caress with hold items are in competitive battling but I know having mine messed with has annoyed me many times before. His other regular ability is Stench, which adds a chance to flinch when you use any contact attack and would be FANTASTIC if the chance were a bit higher, but as it stands is still pretty good.

His hidden ability is Poison Touch, which adds a chance to poison enemies when you attack them, which is also pretty drat good (it's a much higher chance than stench's flinching as well).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've been hunting for a honedge with red attack all evening. I finally found one, but it has blue defense. Should I just roll with it and keep moving through the single player? I guess I could always work on breeding my ideal honedge later if I get into the competitive scene.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Filthy Haiku posted:

Is there any other Pokemon than Breeloom that can Learn a sleep move/false swipe? I was considering Gallade but that would be a tremendous amount of effort for a catching Pokemon.

Gallade can have Mean Look, False Swipe, Hypnosis, and Thief all at once. Hypnosis isn't the best sleep-inducing move, but grass types are vulnerable to it. In order to get Mean Look, its father must be a Haunter, and it only learns Hypnosis as a level 45 Ralts or even higher-level Kirlia, so don't let it evolve until you have it.

Parasect can have False Swipe and Spore in addition to Breloom, but Breloom will probably be more useful.

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Doom Itself posted:

I couldn't name my Bunnelby 'Georgie' after my deceased bunny rabbit, but 'George' was just fine. Actually, I couldn't use that name in WoW, either.

I've just now realized that it's probably because it contains the word 'orgie.' :eng99:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been hunting for a honedge with red attack all evening. I finally found one, but it has blue defense. Should I just roll with it and keep moving through the single player? I guess I could always work on breeding my ideal honedge later if I get into the competitive scene.

If you don't care too much about IVs, I have a bunch of Brave Honedge (+ATK, -SPD) breeding rejects and I'd be willing to send you one if you like.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

If you don't care too much about IVs, I have a bunch of Brave Honedge (+ATK, -SPD) breeding rejects and I'd be willing to send you one if you like.

That's be really awesome! Although I don't have anything exciting to trade you in return. My FC is 0104-0432-7578.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Chinese! (and probably Japanese!) :eng101:

Yes, traditional Japanese is written vertically and read from right to left.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Can I get one? I'll give you a Modest Protean Froakie. FC: 4828 - 4204 - 9261

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Unused posted:

Got this beast in about 70 tries. Doesn't show very well, but it's Impish Nature.

Do you have any spares you could toss my way? I tried for like an hour to catch one and then gave up. Also, do you know if it's possible to get Stealth Rocks on Skarmory yet?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

That's be really awesome! Although I don't have anything exciting to trade you in return. My FC is 0104-0432-7578.

My FC is 3153-3898-1012, IGN is Kennon. I'll take any starters other than chespin and squirtle, if you have extras of any, or any X-exclusives. If you don't have anything that fits either of those bills, though, that's fine. I have a ton of these guys so it's not like they're precious treasure or anything.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Can I get one? I'll give you a Modest Protean Froakie. FC: 4828 - 4204 - 9261

Sure. See FC above.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I've been running into lots of Doublades both in Showdown and regular online battles without eviolite, what the christ? :psyduck: Can someone explain this logic?

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
The way Gyarados eats puffins looks like it's going to take your hand off.

Also, it seems like the decorations in Amie don't actually do poo poo.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

My FC is 3153-3898-1012, IGN is Kennon. I'll take any starters other than chespin and squirtle, if you have extras of any, or any X-exclusives. If you don't have anything that fits either of those bills, though, that's fine. I have a ton of these guys so it's not like they're precious treasure or anything.

Sure. See FC above.

I don't have any spare starters nor do I have any X exclusives yet. :( Now I just need to figure out how to trade with you.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't have any spare starters nor do I have any X exclusives yet. :( Now I just need to figure out how to trade with you.

Find me in the friends section of the PSS on the bottom screen (I'm wearing a purple beanie) and click my head to bring up a menu where you can send a trade request. Alternatively, give me your IGN and I'll request you.

e: I assume you were Craig?

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 28, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Solus posted:

I've been running into lots of Doublades both in Showdown and regular online battles without eviolite, what the christ? :psyduck: Can someone explain this logic?

Doublade + Eviolite is pretty tanky.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Dr Pepper posted:

Doublade + Eviolite is pretty tanky.

I said without Eviolite, also it's worse than Aegislash because it has no Kings Shield isn't it?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I'm entirely confused by what I *should* be doing to breed Pokemon with 4-5 perfect IVs. The Friend Safari only guarantees 3 perfect ones, right? So should I just catch a million dittos and hope for the best nature, and then have the Pokemon I want breed with that?

This is the first Pokemon game I've actually tried to EV train and stuff in, and it's a lot to take in. I think a breeding guide for the other confused goons out there could maybe be helpful?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Eviolite Doublade has 50% more Defense than Aegislash but 50% less Special Defense, so it's a better pure physical wall. It's nowhere near as good an attacker or special wall, though.

Eviolite-less Doublade is just kind of sad.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Solus posted:

I said without Eviolite, also it's worse than Aegislash because it has no Kings Shield isn't it?

Well, you can attack with Doublade without lowering your defenses, so that's always nice. He's not really worth looking at without Eviolite though.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Does anyone have Ditto in their Friend Safari? I accidentally deleted a non-Pokemon playing friend of mine that had Ditto in his.

Dave Stieb
Apr 15, 2010
A friend of mine is trying to track down a friend safari Togepi; does anyone here have one in theirs? If you could add me it'd be great:

3050-8359-2315

Tiemrhon
Jul 27, 2010

Doom Itself posted:

It's kinda baffling. I was naming a bunch of Chespins after nuts and "Pine" trips the censor, but "Pinenut" doesn't.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Apparently hash is acceptable, but hashtag is not.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Apparently hash is acceptable, but hashtag is not.

They tried to cast an unimaginably wide net if Generation 5 is any indication:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_censored_words_in_Generation_V

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

They tried to cast an unimaginably wide net if Generation 5 is any indication:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_censored_words_in_Generation_V

quote:

JESUSSUCKS

Glad they got this one, I don't want to see ANY 'mon names disparaging our lord and savior.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm entirely confused by what I *should* be doing to breed Pokemon with 4-5 perfect IVs. The Friend Safari only guarantees 3 perfect ones, right? So should I just catch a million dittos and hope for the best nature, and then have the Pokemon I want breed with that?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Today I was Wonder Traded a Charmander named ADOLF HITLER.

He's Sassy.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Brett824 posted:

quote:

JESUSSUCKS
Glad they got this one, I don't want to see ANY 'mon names disparaging our lord and savior.

Nessa posted:

Today I was Wonder Traded a Charmander named ADOLF HITLER.

He's Sassy.

Nintendo, we need to talk about your filter...

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

It'd be awfully handy if someone were to redo this chart with only 2V Dittos, since there's no easy sources of 3V Dittos to my knowledge.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Crosscontaminant posted:

It'd be awfully handy if someone were to redo this chart with only 2V Dittos, since there's no easy sources of 3V Dittos to my knowledge.

Friend Safari, if you're one of the Chosen Ones lucky enough to have the appropriate one or friend with one.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

My best WT nickname was a Zigzagoon called DISCO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Got a Lickitung named Oral Roberts today. I think I'm gonna keep it.

• Locked thread