Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
No no, thank you! The article was simply written and easy to understand. In B/W, I got really turned off by all the spreadsheets and calculators. :saddowns:

edit: I've been using Smogon's characteristics chart from "The Breeding Guide Part 1" to determine if a pokemon has potential to have a 31 IV, but that's as extensive as my IV breeding been thus far.

I've also been breeding random IV timid synchronize Abras that I raise into Kadabras and trade on the GTS for rarer pokemon. I've received several Japanese dittos already!

Note Block fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How would one go about taking a Salamence with a regular ability and the desired nature and breeding it so as to get a Hidden Ability Salamence with the same desired nature? In this case, it'd be Jolly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's a little icon on my Talonflame that looks like a purple plug outlet or :geno: face. What is that? I've just been using him as my flight to and from the not-eiffel tower while breeding

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Also, does it make sense to have Ice Beam on an Adamant and mainly Dragon Dance oriented Dragonite? The only other Ice user in my party is Mamoswine right now. My Dragonite has Fire Punch so I figured Fire/Ice/Dragon is pretty good coverage.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yeah, breeding became really easy this generation.

It's still a clusterfuck of inbreeding, though :v:

I want Gen VII to come out with some kind of cosmetic system so that everybody will know that your Special Sweeper's mom is also their sister. Like, opposite-shiny.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How would one go about taking a Salamence with a regular ability and the desired nature and breeding it so as to get a Hidden Ability Salamence with the same desired nature? In this case, it'd be Jolly.

You would need to catch or trade for a member of the salamence line with its Hidden Ability and then breed it with the regular salamence. The regular salamence would have to hold an everstone to pass on its nature, but the ability will always be random for each egg.

Macaluso posted:

There's a little icon on my Talonflame that looks like a purple plug outlet or :geno: face. What is that? I've just been using him as my flight to and from the not-eiffel tower while breeding

It means he'll no longer pass on Pokerus to other members of the party.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Macaluso posted:

That icon means he had Pokerus, but is now cured of it. The benefit of it remains, however.(double EVs from fights.)
Edit: Beaten.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Went out to get a hidden nature Fletchinder from a friend safari, la de da.

You're not a Fletchinder... But I'm gonna keep ya! :getin:

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 28, 2013

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, breeding became really easy this generation.

It's still a clusterfuck of inbreeding, though :v:

I want Gen VII to come out with some kind of cosmetic system so that everybody will know that your Special Sweeper's mom is also their sister. Like, opposite-shiny.

That would be great if your pokemon eventually developed genetic abnormalities if there was enough inbreeding in the family. Your pokemon may have perfect ivs but he'll be born blind and unable to walk until level 4.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Ruggington posted:

You would need to catch or trade for a member of the salamence line with its Hidden Ability and then breed it with the regular salamence. The regular salamence would have to hold an everstone to pass on its nature, but the ability will always be random for each egg.

Well in that case... Anyone wanna loan me their Hi

Ruggington posted:

Well in that case... Anyone got a Moxie Salamence or Hidden Ability Bacon/Shelgon they wanna loan a brother?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GeckoMissingo posted:

That would be great if your pokemon eventually developed genetic abnormalities if there was enough inbreeding in the family. Your pokemon may have perfect ivs but he'll be born blind and unable to walk until level 4.

They do!
They eventually become an abnormal colouration.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Well in that case... Anyone got a Moxie Salamence or Hidden Ability Bacon/Shelgon they wanna loan a brother?

What gender do you need? I can go ahead and catch one for you

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007

HoneyBoy posted:

Haha, this is what made me not actually want to chain fish for a while, there really shouldn't be such an overabundance of Basculin and Poliwhirl everywhere. Also Relicanth, I'd hate to have caught a shiny one of those while trying to get a Seadra or something. I should probably try again, it's fairly easy and a shiny's a shiny.

:v: although I really like how it looks!

But honestly chain fishing is the tits and my new favourite thing because 4 casts later:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wow Shiny Dragalge looks fantastic. Both him and the big claw lobster dude have awesome shinies

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Now the only question is what to do with him.

Edit: Calm nature makes me think Bulky Annoyer would be the best. 252 HP, 252 Def. Swagger/Substitute/Foul Play/Hypnosis?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 28, 2013

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Wonder traded one of my 3x31 IV Litwicks, got a Jolly 5x31 Magikarp

:getin:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

Edit: Calm nature makes me think Bulky Annoyer would be the best. 252 HP, 252 Def. Swagger/Substitute/Foul Play/Hypnosis?

You could try Topsy-Turvy in the forth slot for Set-up Sweepers/Swagger Shenanigans, although I don't know how effective that would be without reliable recovery.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Might want to save for an ability capsule; Contrarian is better than Suction Cups in my opinion if you at all plan to use superpower.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ruggington posted:

You could try Topsy-Turvy in the forth slot for Set-up Sweepers/Swagger Shenanigans, although I don't know how effective that would be without reliable recovery.
Swagger/Foul Play/Topsy-Turvy is self-defeating, though. I want in increased Attack, so they hit themselves, and I FP them harder. TTing that makes both of those much weaker.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Is the Ability Capsule one-time use or reusable?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Paper Triangle posted:

Is the Ability Capsule one-time use or reusable?

One use.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Can you get 5 perfect IVs by breeding something with 4 perfect IVs and a 3 perfect IV Ditto? I've been trying for ages and I can't seem to do it. Am I going to have to hunt for some 4 perfect IV Dittos?

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

Can you get 5 perfect IVs by breeding something with 4 perfect IVs and a 3 perfect IV Ditto? I've been trying for ages and I can't seem to do it. Am I going to have to hunt for some 4 perfect IV Dittos?

You can but if possible you should just try breed 2 4s of the Pokemon you want and breed them.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I would but Rotoms can't breed with each other. :negative:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What battle mode is 3v3? I'm having a hard time figuring it out based on the discussions in this thread. Should I be planning a 3v3 team or a 6v6 team of Pokemon?

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

What battle mode is 3v3? I'm having a hard time figuring it out based on the discussions in this thread. Should I be planning a 3v3 team or a 6v6 team of Pokemon?

Regular random wifi battles are in 3v3 but you can do 6v6 by challenging people on your friends list.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Swagger/Foul Play/Topsy-Turvy is self-defeating, though. I want in increased Attack, so they hit themselves, and I FP them harder. TTing that makes both of those much weaker.

I realize what the set is trying to accomplish, I was more thinking of using Topsy-Turvy as a way of deterring pokemon that see Malamar as a set-up opportunity. Topsy-Turvy them on a sword dance or a nasty plot, force them to switch, and set up a sub. It's really situational and hypnosis hitting would have the same effect, but that's 60 accuracy and I'm really fond of dumb gimmicks.

E: Does Topsy-Turvy work through opposing subs? If so that gives it some added utility on a set that's easily countered by substitute. I'm basically just describing taunt and whirlwind aren't I

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 28, 2013

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!

Ruggington posted:

If you want to breed for perfect IV's you should add somebody who has a friend safari with dittos in it and capture them there. Pokemon from the friend safari have two guaranteed perfect IV's and you can breed any litwick with dittos and pass over the necessary IV's over several generations, swapping out better and better litwicks with dittos that have perfect IV's in different stats. By having one of the parents hold certain items you can game the system to give you ideal IV spreads quicker.

The "Power" Items let you pass over one specific IV to each egg, and the Destiny Knot lets the egg inherit 5 random IV's from each parent, 2 more than the standard.

Ideally, you'll be able to pass down 5 Perfect IV's from a litwick holding a Destiny Knot by breeding it with a ditto/litwick that has a positive nature and an everstone.

Thanks so much, I just kinda needed that in plain English. Makes sense now. :)

HelloPlatypus
Apr 2, 2010

GIRL
SHE'S A GIRL
OBVIOUSLY JUST LOOK AT HER

Starsnostars posted:

I would but Rotoms can't breed with each other. :negative:

Isn't this the worst? Half the pokes I want for my team are genderless, which makes the whole breeding process a nightmare.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

GeckoMissingo posted:

Regular random wifi battles are in 3v3 but you can do 6v6 by challenging people on your friends list.

Do you know if random doubles are 6v6 or 4v4?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Chainfishing is the best thing!

Shiny Poliwag is pretty underwhelming though:

Same can be said for Poliwhirl:

Poliwrath on the other hand:

AMAZING.

Gonna name her Rash. I've already got a trained Toxicroak and Politoed, gotta train up a modest protean Froakie for a doubles team in honor of Poke-France.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
UP3W-WWWW-WWW2-58ZP Life Orbing a Clawitzer is mean. First rage quit I've caused, though.

Online battling kinda loving sucks. Megas have basically ruined it. You have to have a Mega because your opponent will definitely also have one. So that's taking away a slot on your team from something you'd actually want there. I've had fun times with my Mega Gengar, but I'd really, really rather use something else. But I can't. Because it's the only thing loving fast enough to counter other Megas.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I managed to hatch two female Eevee's, one of which I intend to evolve into a Sylveon. Only thing is, I'm pretty early in the game, and I don't want to wait that long for Shadow Ball/Hidden Power. Could someone take the Eevee's, see what Hidden Power they have, and teach them the moves/let me know? I've got an adamant Japanese Ditto and your choice of a Impish/Adamant/Timid Synchronizer for your trouble.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ChibiSoma posted:

UP3W-WWWW-WWW2-58ZP Life Orbing a Clawitzer is mean. First rage quit I've caused, though.

Online battling kinda loving sucks. Megas have basically ruined it. You have to have a Mega because your opponent will definitely also have one. So that's taking away a slot on your team from something you'd actually want there. I've had fun times with my Mega Gengar, but I'd really, really rather use something else. But I can't. Because it's the only thing loving fast enough to counter other Megas.

That's not true at all, most mega pokes don't do much for survivability of the base form (Mega Gengar and Mega Scizor both eat it when hit with the right moves). And most of them (If not all) don't get those nice stat boost the turn they pop the mega stone so Mega gengar doesn't outspeed everything first turn, especially since it's not running Choice scarf anymore :eng101:. Most mega pokemon are only really good under the right set up which is super easy to see coming. Which is both good and sucks (Good for fighting megas bad for using megas.)

Running Choice Scarf Gengar and burning through Mega Gengars has been most of my fun in online battles.

These rules don't apply to Mega Aggron and Gyrardos who both get more survivability thanks to dumping a bad defensive typing.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 28, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
For O-Powers on Serebii, it says " You recover more energy faster depending on how many steps you have clocked on the 3DS that day
0-1999 steps: x1 2000-2999 steps: x2 3000-3999 steps: x3 4000+ steps: x4"

Does that mean, y'know, real-world steps or in-game? Should I go for a walk and get in 4000+ steps before playing so the power regenerates that much faster for the rest of the day?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

For O-Powers on Serebii, it says " You recover more energy faster depending on how many steps you have clocked on the 3DS that day
0-1999 steps: x1 2000-2999 steps: x2 3000-3999 steps: x3 4000+ steps: x4"

Does that mean, y'know, real-world steps or in-game? Should I go for a walk and get in 4000+ steps before playing so the power regenerates that much faster for the rest of the day?

Yeah it means real-world steps.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

These rules don't apply to Mega Aggron and Gyrardos who both get more survivability thanks to dumping a bad defensive typing.

Not to mention Aggron going from a shitload of defense to goddamn ludicrous defense + Filter.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

The two most common Megas I see are Gengar and Alakazam, and a strong enough Sucker Punch stops them both. My favorite moment so far was a MegaKazam VS my normal Mawile, since I had already Mega'd my Heracross. I sucker punched seven times, he calm minded every time. Finally I Played Rough and dropped him to 30 percent, which forced him to either attack or die. He attacked, and I used my last Sucker Punch to finish him. It was great, we were both laughing about in the chat box. (It was on Showdown.)

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 28, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Are you supposed to find Sycamore's hidden treasure in the town with the train tracks when he tells you about it or does it come up later?

Also the fight against the goddamn Professor using all three fully-evolved original starters is basically everything I wanted as a kid playing the original game.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I managed to hatch two female Eevee's, one of which I intend to evolve into a Sylveon. Only thing is, I'm pretty early in the game, and I don't want to wait that long for Shadow Ball/Hidden Power. Could someone take the Eevee's, see what Hidden Power they have, and teach them the moves/let me know? I've got an adamant Japanese Ditto and your choice of a Impish/Adamant/Timid Synchronizer for your trouble.

It won't take that long, I'll just do it for free

2019-9655-6466

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Shear Modulus posted:

Are you supposed to find Sycamore's hidden treasure in the town with the train tracks when he tells you about it or does it come up later?

Also the fight against the goddamn Professor using all three fully-evolved original starters is basically everything I wanted as a kid playing the original game.

Speaking of which, do you fight Sycamore again at any point in the game, or is it just when you first meet him?

Ruggington posted:

It won't take that long, I'll just do it for free

2019-9655-6466

Thanks, mine's 0490-5441-0451.

E: Uh, that's an interesting mii/name combo :stare:

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 28, 2013

• Locked thread