Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I quite like Gardenstown its very nice but miles from anything useful like a supermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

jre posted:

Its unrelentingly grey and depressing . Every loving building is made of granite. Every one. Locals still give you directions which include "turn left at the big grey building". It's also become really expensive because the oil industry is booming again. The beaches are amazing though, shame its usually -20 and hurricane force winds on them.

Go see the wallace monument and the castle.

Yeah, she was in oil too so that makes sense. Still sounds charming, silly locals adds to it's quaint-ness.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
People in Edinburgh told me that Glasgow is a shithole full of chavs that will glass and then rob you, but I've never been there. I got punched in the face in Edinburgh though.

I think the best areas in Scotland are outside of the cities with fewer Scots around.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think I'm the only Aberdonian who thinks Aberdeen is tolerable. I still want to leave though.

Hallowed Turban posted:

Yeah, she was in oil too so that makes sense. Still sounds charming, silly locals adds to it's quaint-ness.
Everyone works in the oil industry here (me included). It calls itself the 'Energy capital of Europe' but it's really the Custom License Plate Capital of Europe.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I love Aberdeen, it's an amazing city. Youse all don't know what you're on about.

COYR!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Aberdonian hobbies:
===================
*Moaning about Aberdeen
*Berghaus/North Face softshell jacket collecting
*Custom license plates
*Living in 1983

COYR

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
When I went to perth the hmv didnt even have a rap music section, but it did have a whole isle for 'Scottish music' what the hell is that. Aberdeen was decent although when I was there it was -10 and snowing. Edinburgh I got way too drunk and fell asleep on a bus but I had a nice calzone.

Still havent been to Glasgow though.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Chas McGill posted:

Aberdonian hobbies:
===================
*Moaning about Aberdeen
*Berghaus/North Face softshell jacket collecting
*Custom license plates
*Living in 1983

COYR

You forgot running from seagulls.

We wage war against them. Not just for our kebabs, for our haddock, but for our very souls. There is no dignity in this place.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Which Scottish town is the most like the one in the film Local Hero?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Aberdeen's seagulls come 2nd only to st Ives in Cornwall in terms of viciousness.

When I was doing my apprenticeship we had to fix an air conditioning unit on top of a roof. We got up there, opened it up and there was a nest of baby seagulls inside. Turned round and the big mummy seagull was behind us with her pals about to attack. We had to run for the door with seagulls dive bombing us.

At 16, I thought my life was over. Killed by a flock of seagulls.

Generally I don't mind Aberdeen as a city. I despise the football team though.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The best city in Scotland is Glasgow because it has pinball machines in the HMV.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

anime and cars posted:

When I went to perth the hmv didnt even have a rap music section, but it did have a whole isle for 'Scottish music' what the hell is that. Aberdeen was decent although when I was there it was -10 and snowing. Edinburgh I got way too drunk and fell asleep on a bus but I had a nice calzone.

Still havent been to Glasgow though.

That HMV is shut down now, much like all the nice shops in Perth. I think it's only a matter of time until they revert our City status.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Popehoist posted:

That HMV is shut down now, much like all the nice shops in Perth. I think it's only a matter of time until they revert our City status.

They've taken it once, they arn'y taking it again.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
It's not a loving city though let's be honest. It's a village that someone build fucktons of social housing around.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tekz posted:

Which Scottish town is the most like the one in the film Local Hero?

Gardenstown, which is where some of it was filmed.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I went to Edinburgh this summer and it was very nice, although I did not like how pretty much everything that wasn't a restaurant or gift shop was closed after 6pm. It was weird to go out for dinner at 9pm and have it still be sunny outside. The weather was great though. I really wanted to see Glasgow, but didn't have the time.

Welp that's my story

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I also went to Edinburgh this summer. Specifically it was to go to a cricket match. That's how poo poo hibs/hearts are.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Hibs rules

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Ramagamma posted:

Specifically it was to go to a cricket match. That's how poo poo hibs/hearts are.

Wait,wait. Scotland has a cricket pitch?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

ally_1986 posted:

Wait,wait. Scotland has a cricket pitch?

Only one. It's free most of the summer

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Amateur cricket is fairly big here. We're just poo poo at it.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

euroboy posted:

Hibs rules

We'll find out tonight, surely you can't lose to this Hearts team again.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Hibs are poo poo

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

jre posted:

We'll find out tonight, surely you can't lose to this Hearts team again.

Hibs are poo poo

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

onoflalks posted:

Hibs are poo poo

onoflalks posted:

Hibs are poo poo

Apparently so. although

lol.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Holy poo poo Aberdeen. I love you. Finally. We can be happy.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Coohoolin posted:

Holy poo poo Aberdeen. I love you. Finally. We can be happy.

How can you want to be scottish so loving much when you are a god drat swiss? Switzerland literally owns Scotland in every way, and this is from a person who used to live like 80 miles from there.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

oh em gee bee ess posted:

How can you want to be scottish so loving much when you are a god drat swiss? Switzerland literally owns Scotland in every way, and this is from a person who used to live like 80 miles from there.

Switzerland is poo poo and you're poo poo.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Coohoolin posted:

Switzerland is poo poo and you're poo poo.

Daddy, daddy can I use my trust fund to go to Aberdeen instead of St. Miritz?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Daddy, daddy can I use my trust fund to go to Aberdeen instead of St. Miritz?

I work to support myself and get free government tuition for university. Never had a trust fund.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Just when you thought the SPL thread couldn't get any more quaint,

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
lol please stop or I'll mail you a bullet in the post pls

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Hibs are really poo poo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Pretty impressive stuff from the Dons tonight. Down to ten in the first half and still come out victors. That's what this club is all about - gritty determination and an unwillingness to give in.

Next game they're gonna get gubbed :cry:.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

Hibs are really poo poo.

Has anyone seen radge? Someone should check for milk bottles pilling up on the front steps.

Chas McGill posted:

Pretty impressive stuff from the Dons tonight. Down to ten in the first half and still come out victors. That's what this club is all about - gritty determination and an unwillingness to give in.

It's their year.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Can anyone tell me what matches would be good to watch this year? Other than old firm ones I never watched spl matches that much. Only now is it being offered on my tv so I don't have to stream. Haven't seen much of any team aside from celtic in europe either, so i dont know how good anyone else is. On top of that i keep hearing how so many teams are poo poo and im interested in seeing that in action. Lately the other leagues of europe have been boring, so spl might be interesting just to see something new. I'm interested in hard tackling, tough teams. None of that tiki taka attempting crap, just hoofballs and hard tackles. I'd point to like how blackburn played as an example . So yeah any ideas?

And also i'd like to see whatever matches have good atmosphere, proper angry stuff. For example i like to see napoli or dortmund because they have wild supporters. And i know scotland has the highest percentage of population attending matches so i assume some stadiums are vibrant. Go on then, let me hear some points in favor of the good teams to watch.

Thanks.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Watch Aberdeen's away games for good crowd atmospheres, and New Firm derbys between Aberdeen and Dundee United. Ross County play good hoofball (since I'd seen them last, at least) and are proper physical. Partick Thistle are a lot of fun, actually, with some good fast attacking football.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is it too late to say Hibs are poo poo?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
It's never too late

Ross County are a good call, and Inverness can be a good team to watch.

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

tbp posted:

Can anyone tell me what matches would be good to watch this year? Other than old firm ones I never watched spl matches that much. Only now is it being offered on my tv so I don't have to stream. Haven't seen much of any team aside from celtic in europe either, so i dont know how good anyone else is. On top of that i keep hearing how so many teams are poo poo and im interested in seeing that in action. Lately the other leagues of europe have been boring, so spl might be interesting just to see something new. I'm interested in hard tackling, tough teams. None of that tiki taka attempting crap, just hoofballs and hard tackles. I'd point to like how blackburn played as an example . So yeah any ideas?

And also i'd like to see whatever matches have good atmosphere, proper angry stuff. For example i like to see napoli or dortmund because they have wild supporters. And i know scotland has the highest percentage of population attending matches so i assume some stadiums are vibrant. Go on then, let me hear some points in favor of the good teams to watch.

Thanks.

Hibs v Hearts tonight would have been a good one in terms of proper angry stuff because its a city derby and their fans loving hate each other. The spfl has got more interesting since the demise of Rangers as the mid table teams now have a much more realistic chance of Europe or winning a cup, particularly as Celtic seem determined to get hosed out the cups embarrassingly every year, See Celtic v St Mirren, or Celtic v Morton.

Motherwell v Hibs on sunday, or Aberdeen v Thistle on Monday should be decent enough, if you like that sort of thing. Basically matches involving the bigger teams ( Dundee United, Motherwell, Aberdeen). If you want a team to support you may as well go with Partick Thistle as its a safe answer if you ever make it to Scotland

• Locked thread