Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dude Shisha (only name for it and I will hear nothing else :colbert:) are not nerdy unless you are pendatic about it.
Just use non-smells-like-cancer, clean burning coal and a nice bit of aromatic tobacco.
There. Done. Enjoy in social environment while playing dominos.

No loving stones, no loving special percolators, no special paraphernalia, no nothing.

And don't use the aluminum coal holder, no matter what they say. Use ceramic ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Darth Kenobi11 is great but he's just one of those cases that have to be satire. I still loving love the shutdown one. :allears:

Yeah, he hits the mark way too well to not be satire. See also: Krispy Kreme. Still funny, though.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

swamp waste posted:

Congratulations on figuring out a way to be a snide rear end in a top hat about eating at a restaurant, unlike those hipsters and semi-intellectuals, I guess

Thanks, I take pride in the fact that I'm angry about the fact that the place I grew up in was gentrified and was consumed by the most boring people you'll ever find on the face of the earth.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

The one in my college town is run by immigrants, and the only college kids to ever be seen there are the ones sitting at the tables outside smoking the hookahs, the food is actually way too Indian and Persian (the two guys who run the place are such respectively) for boring white college kids to ever eat, it's actually surprisingly authentic, and because hipsters and college semi-intellectuals only ever eat fake-authentic, it doesn't fully work out, so normally the only people eating inside the place (with only shin high seats, large round tables, and cushions everywhere in dim lighting) are old people, exchange students and residents from the Middle East, and people like me who know the owners' kids and go there by association.

It's actually a really awesome restaurant.

Please tell us more about the difference between authentic and fake-authentic and why semi-intellectuals prefer the latter?

edit: efb

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fake authentic is food that generally has some veneer of the cuisine that it's inspired from, not your misappropriated Chinese food, but more like an Italian restaurant that has some disingenuous claim to represent Italian food but carries none of the cuisine's culture. It happens very often in gentrified areas because the quaintness of the area that inspired the deferred development in the first place is integral to actually attracting moderately well off people (middle class whites). Semi-intellectuals is your average college aged kid who understands some length of what he or she is engaging in (the food or culture), but has no awareness of his or her place in it, in other words, they have no idea that they're boring idiots that hosed up my town and turned it into an overdeveloped shithole that all of a sudden has absolutely nothing to do at night and is crawling with people that will barely stay more than three or four years but leave their unattended trail of garbage behind them.
See? There's an actual purpose to being incensed about these things, they rampage through places with actual depth and history to them and leave them empty of anything other than the next dime-store east-coast city clone.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Following that definition, if you put a Pizza Hut in Cambodia, it suddenly would be authentic food.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No it wouldn't.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

I am not sure we actually cared about your :smug: opinions ?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fathis Munk posted:

I am not sure we actually cared about your :smug: opinions ?

Here, I have a smiley, it's called :pithy reductionist comment: .
Look at how insipid that is.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

What the Hell is this!?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

Fake authentic is food that generally has some veneer of the cuisine that it's inspired from, not your misappropriated Chinese food, but more like an Italian restaurant that has some disingenuous claim to represent Italian food but carries none of the cuisine's culture. It happens very often in gentrified areas because the quaintness of the area that inspired the deferred development in the first place is integral to actually attracting moderately well off people (middle class whites). Semi-intellectuals is your average college aged kid who understands some length of what he or she is engaging in (the food or culture), but has no awareness of his or her place in it, in other words, they have no idea that they're boring idiots that hosed up my town and turned it into an overdeveloped shithole that all of a sudden has absolutely nothing to do at night and is crawling with people that will barely stay more than three or four years but leave their unattended trail of garbage behind them.
See? There's an actual purpose to being incensed about these things, they rampage through places with actual depth and history to them and leave them empty of anything other than the next dime-store east-coast city clone.

I get it man. Every year you get a year older, but the college kids, they never age. Year on year they're replaced, static and perfect in the full bloom of youth, while you sag and wilt. Look at them, thinking they're smart when they're only semi-intellectual. They even think they're eating authentic food when obviously they're not.

I get it man. I get it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A young ME man is summoning his evil twin from a lamp in hotel atrium. Duh.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The awkward is coming from inside the thread!

Have a meme costume:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I get it man. Every year you get a year older, but the college kids, they never age. Year on year they're replaced, static and perfect in the full bloom of youth, while you sag and wilt. Look at them, thinking they're smart when they're only semi-intellectual. They even think they're eating authentic food when obviously they're not.

I get it man. I get it.

No you don't, they know they aren't eating authentic and that they prefer not to and they'll understand, to some extent, the culture and cuisine, but that's the point, businesses that have an important place here, have and continued to close down because the fact that this University gets progressively more expensive and more often than not the residential areas around the college are taken up more by the same sort of people.
It's the systematic dilution of anything that's any fun, it's also a pain in the rear end to see all the places you loved as a kid get blown over by another Chipotle and fake Burger Diner. People love seeing the smaller more obtuse restaurants around them, but they don't actually want to eat there, people that have lived here for all, or a great portion of their lifetime, do. The new people want the flavor, but they don't actually want to engage in it.
This isn't a new concept, it's something that happens and has happened across the country and people bitch about it nonstop, this is no different.

Look, in living color.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Oct 29, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ok JebanyPedal, we get it, you're the Borelax and you speak for the immigrants so you can smugly feel superior to others or preserve your childhood memories, not really out of any interest for them.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Have a meme costume:

That is so laughably terribly made :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLpmbYLu8xc
This is definitely a parody, but that doesn't make it not funny/awkward.

These are not parodies.

EDIT: Okay that last picture might be a joke.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

JebanyPedal posted:

No you don't, they know they aren't eating authentic and that they prefer not to and they'll understand, to some extent, the culture and cuisine, but that's the point, businesses that have an important place here, have and continued to close down because the fact that this University gets progressively more expensive and more often than not the residential areas around the college are taken up more by the same sort of people.
It's the systematic dilution of anything that's any fun, it's also a pain in the rear end to see all the places you loved as a kid get blown over by another Chipotle and fake Burger Diner. People love seeing the smaller more obtuse restaurants around them, but they don't actually want to eat there, people that have lived here for all, or a great portion of their lifetime, do. The new people want the flavor, but they don't actually want to engage in it.
This isn't a new concept, it's something that happens and has happened across the country and people bitch about it nonstop, this is no different.

We need a version of :words: that adequately conveys "rambling on about poo poo that is tremendously important to me, but is of literally zero interest to anybody else".

It's not the college kids running the mom and pop restaurants out of business, it's a society where restaurants are increasingly becoming a staple of people's diets, and familiarity with basic cooking is diminishing, resulting in a greater desire for consistency and familiarity, which a corporate brand can deliver much easier than an independent establishment.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

It's the systematic dilution of anything that's any fun, it's also a pain in the rear end to see all the places you loved as a kid get blown over by another Chipotle and fake Burger Diner.

What is a fake burger diner?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Please leave :frogout:

DStecks posted:

We need a version of :words: that adequately conveys "rambling on about poo poo that is tremendously important to me, but is of literally zero interest to anybody else".

Well we do have :rant:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

NESguerilla posted:

What is a fake burger diner?

It's a burger diner that's ~mainstream man~ I guess?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Alternate joke since he's so obsessed with fake intellectuals and posers, it's any burger joint that doesn't let you beat off to Catcher in the Rye while waiting for your food.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Please leave :frogout:

Well we do have :rant:

Yeah, but it would be nice to have one that implies droning on, the kind of dull ranting that just makes you zone out until the end of the post.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DStecks posted:

:spergin: :goonsay: :qqsay:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

But hipsters are the people who specifically go to "mom and pop" type local not-a-chain places specifically because they're not chains... I can see just boring mainstreamers messing up a place with chipotles though, that does suck.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

JebanyPedal posted:

Thanks, I take pride in the fact that I'm angry about the fact that the place I grew up in was gentrified and was consumed by the most boring people you'll ever find on the face of the earth.

So what you're saying is that you liked it before it was cool.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have to admit he looks pretty good. :gay: I also enjoy the calculator watch. Maybe I am a hipster.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
What drives me up the wall about that picture more than anything is the full beard PLUS the dyed blond side swept look. One or the other dude.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

If I had to choose between that as an e-cig or nothing, I'd choose the nothing. At least mine looks like a standard cig but differently coloured.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Haymaker_Betty posted:

EDIT: Okay that last picture might be a joke.

These look like completely legit candy-raver pictures from pretty much late 90's early 00's.

Gaseous Snake posted:

What the Hell is this!?

That is a dude summoning a genie of himself. Like you do.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Being a trendy, happening, and hip person I was watching some anime earlier. Out of interest I went on the show's facebook page where they occasionally post fan art. This one popped anyway and the content as well as the two responses there are quite :smith: The girl is 15.

Apart from the upskirt her torso is really loving bizarre.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/HFPDZUT.png:nws:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

EmmyOk posted:

Being a trendy, happening, and hip person I was watching some anime earlier. Out of interest I went on the show's facebook page where they occasionally post fan art. This one popped anyway and the content as well as the two responses there are quite :smith: The girl is 15.

Apart from the upskirt her torso is really loving bizarre.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/HFPDZUT.png:nws:

Did the cleverly named Julian Azzange justify himself as an answer to another comment or does he just feel a completely spontaneous need to justify his attraction to a 15 year old character ?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

Did the cleverly named Julian Azzange justify himself as an answer to another comment or does he just feel a completely spontaneous need to justify his attraction to a 15 year old character ?

He was responding to someone who said "She's 14 wtf?". His assertion that age is entirely irrelevant for an animated character is what gets me.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I totally agree. I was just hoping that he inherently knew that it was wrong and that that had led him to justify himself without actually getting called out on it first.

Which would actually have been better I guess :smith:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

canyoneer posted:

Have a meme costume:

Almost clever but for the parallelism error.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Huge Gut Hormones:

Belly button has a tongue:

I like to listen to this guy while I draw: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheReportOfTheWeek/videos

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

:regd09:

So beautiful.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Look at this creepy mother fucker: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/28/21220843-come-home-mom-begs-teen-who-disappeared-with-37-year-old-man?lite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

FunMerrania posted:

Belly button has a tongue:

I like to listen to this guy while I draw: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheReportOfTheWeek/videos

Fuckin' ew, how can that guy justify even showing up? No pecs, tiny tits, that belly button, ugly veins, and skin like dry leather. Hope it was worth all the eating, workout and drugs.

• Locked thread