Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

T430 is last years laptop. You want a T440.

I would rather pay last year's prices for last year's laptop than this year's prices for this year's laptop, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Besides power saving, is Haswell all that much of an upgrade from Ivy Bridge? It doesn't seem like the quantum leap that Sandy/Ivy Bridge were.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The integrated graphics is a huge upgrade too. What else do people want besides better battery life at this point? Is anyone complaining about laptops being too slow?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Besides power saving, is Haswell all that much of an upgrade from Ivy Bridge? It doesn't seem like the quantum leap that Sandy/Ivy Bridge were.

The Haswell CPU's are actually slower, by a little bit, in most cases. But the battery life is better and between improved graphics and PCI-E SSD's that some manufacturers are using, you can end up with an overall faster machine.

If you need CPU performance be sure to get the i7 or wait for Broadwell or whatever's next, if you're already on Ivy Bridge and don't need more battery life.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Forums Terrorist posted:

It's a boost to integrated GPU and a huge power saver. Both are much more significant upgrades to me - and, I suspect, the majority of laptop buyers - in a laptop than additional CPU horsepower.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

My budget for a notebook's somewhat limited, so I've been looking at the T530 since it's slightly cheaper than the T430/440. I was just wondering if Haswell was worth the New Hotness Premium when I could just use a 9 cell battery; I'll be using it for at most 6 hours without plugging in so going beyond that isn't terribly important. Cheers for the clarification.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Forums Terrorist posted:

My budget for a notebook's somewhat limited, so I've been looking at the T530 since it's slightly cheaper than the T430/440. I was just wondering if Haswell was worth the New Hotness Premium when I could just use a 9 cell battery; I'll be using it for at most 6 hours without plugging in so going beyond that isn't terribly important. Cheers for the clarification.

The obvious downside of both of those plans is weight. Is that a concern for how you're planning on using the laptop - is this going to be carried around often?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

So is the T440 series going to be ideal for my wife who needs to use Revit, AutoCAD, Photoshop, and Illustrator? She'll be commuting in NYC so weight is an issue, and these look nice and lightweight. I think she also needs a 1920x1080 display.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

My laptop went to laptop heaven a couple of days ago and I absolutely don't have the money to buy a proper replacement. I had the idea to buy a refurbished cheap Core2duo-Thinkpad of ebay for 100€ (~140$), to tide me over, while I save up for a real laptop over the next months. They come with a 1 year warranty and the processing power will probably be enough for what I need.

How stupid of an idea is it to buy a 5 year old laptop?

(I'm in Europe, so thinkpad prices in general are pretty insane)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Uranium 235 posted:

So is the T440 series going to be ideal for my wife who needs to use Revit, AutoCAD, Photoshop, and Illustrator? She'll be commuting in NYC so weight is an issue, and these look nice and lightweight. I think she also needs a 1920x1080 display.

No one knows because nobody has it yet. But in terms of specs they are pretty great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

waitwhatno posted:

My laptop went to laptop heaven a couple of days ago and I absolutely don't have the money to buy a proper replacement. I had the idea to buy a refurbished cheap Core2duo-Thinkpad of ebay for 100€ (~140$), to tide me over, while I save up for a real laptop over the next months. They come with a 1 year warranty and the processing power will probably be enough for what I need.

(I'm in Europe, so thinkpad prices in general are pretty insane)

Old Thinkpads are great, especially if you have RAM/SSD laying around to throw in them. But it's easy to spend $50 on RAM, $150 on an SSD, and then $50 on a battery on top of $300 for the used laptop in the first place....

Make sure you get a T400 for example instead of a T60 so you're not stuck trying to find DDR2 RAM which is expensive.

Look em up on http://www.thinkwiki.org/

Stick to T, W, and X series. There are a couple R's that can be had cheap, though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Uranium 235 posted:

When does she need it by? I'd consider the T530 with upgraded screen too, since it's cheap, a known factor, and has decent colors. Or, if you're concerned about portability, something with a smaller screen and use a supplemental monitor for real work, since even a fairly cheap desktop display will blow most laptops out of the water and can last you for several upgrades.

Meltycat
May 20, 2006

Melty and adorable!

waitwhatno posted:

My laptop went to laptop heaven a couple of days ago and I absolutely don't have the money to buy a proper replacement. I had the idea to buy a refurbished cheap Core2duo-Thinkpad of ebay for 100€ (~140$), to tide me over, while I save up for a real laptop over the next months. (...)

My laptop died unexpectedly too, and I picked up an old T61p. You definitely want to get one generation newer for the cheaper DDR3 RAM, and to avoid the defective NVidia chipset in this generation of Thinkpads. Currently I have 4GB of RAM with a Lubuntu install on an old SSD and it's "OK". The only thing that really gives me any trouble is videoconferencing with Google Hangouts, which really stresses the machine. The nice thing about getting older Thinkpads is that they come with higher resolution screens -- I picked up a machine with 1200P.

On another topic, does anyone know why the Dell M4800s are taking so long to be configurable? I'm probably going to pick one up (QHD display, trackpoint with physical buttons, user-replaceable components), but am curious as to how much cheaper I'd be able to buy one by getting barebones RAM/storage while keeping a quad-core CPU + QHD screen. Also, the three cards which come with the system are:

Nvidia K1100M
Nvidia K2100M
AMD Firepro M5100

I can't find much online about the Firepro -- anyone know if it's worth considering over the Nvidia options? I won't be doing any CAD work so this would just be for light gaming.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Meltycat posted:

On another topic, does anyone know why the Dell M4800s are taking so long to be configurable? I'm probably going to pick one up (QHD display, trackpoint with physical buttons, user-replaceable components), but am curious as to how much cheaper I'd be able to buy one by getting barebones RAM/storage while keeping a quad-core CPU + QHD screen.

The customizable version is available through Dell Premier now. The cheapest I can configure an M4800 is for $1,170 (No windows license, +70 for Windows).
It won't let me add the QHD display without upgrading the video card from the AMD to one of the NVidia options.

I get $1,550 for a QHD with Ubuntu (+70 for windows), 8GB of RAM, i7-4700MQ quad core, 500GB Hybrid Hard Drive, Intel AC wireless card, and Nvidia Quadro K1100M w/2GB GDDR5.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

evilweasel posted:

The obvious downside of both of those plans is weight. Is that a concern for how you're planning on using the laptop - is this going to be carried around often?

I'll be commuting from the Hague to Amsterdam via train, but asides from that not much. I just measured out 3kg of books and honestly it seemed pretty manageable.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

When does she need it by? I'd consider the T530 with upgraded screen too, since it's cheap, a known factor, and has decent colors. Or, if you're concerned about portability, something with a smaller screen and use a supplemental monitor for real work, since even a fairly cheap desktop display will blow most laptops out of the water and can last you for several upgrades.

Still no word on the T540 right? My mom wants a 15" thinkpad and I'm feeling like waiting on the 540 is fruitless.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
What is the difference between the T430 and T430u? I don't really understand what an "ultrabook" is, but they seem to have pretty much the same specs?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

What is the difference between the T430 and T430u? I don't really understand what an "ultrabook" is, but they seem to have pretty much the same specs?

There's also the T430s and the T431s!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Meltycat posted:

On another topic, does anyone know why the Dell M4800s are taking so long to be configurable? I'm probably going to pick one up (QHD display, trackpoint with physical buttons, user-replaceable components), but am curious as to how much cheaper I'd be able to buy one by getting barebones RAM/storage while keeping a quad-core CPU + QHD screen. Also, the three cards which come with the system are:

Nvidia K1100M
Nvidia K2100M
AMD Firepro M5100

I can't find much online about the Firepro -- anyone know if it's worth considering over the Nvidia options? I won't be doing any CAD work so this would just be for light gaming.

The K2100M and Firepro M5100 are pretty close- http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-K2100M.98900.0.html has the best notebook graphics card comparisons out there. They don't have the M5100 explicitly listed, but it looks like the 5100 is just the 6000 with a slightly lower core clock. So you can just look at the 6000's results and subtract a few %.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

T430 is the regular mainline laptop with optical drive (Ivy Bridge aka 3rd generation). The T430s is a thinner version with no CD drive. The T430u is a T430s with an internal battery and soldered ram that is slightly thinner to meet Intel's arbitrary definition of "ultrabook," a term which Intel wanted to mean "Macbook Air copy" but which now just means "slightly thinner computer." The T431s is a crappier and more expensive T430u that has been redesigned to look more like a Mac.

The Haswell generation all have 4 as the middle digit (4th generation Intel), so there's the T440, etc.

Basically, there was a large corporate reorg and now the people who used to run regular Lenovo are in charge of the Think division and charged with turning it into an Apple competitor. Their approach seems to consist of introducing ever more confusing product lines and telling their designers to copy Apple more.

mastershakeman posted:

Still no word on the T540 right? My mom wants a 15" thinkpad and I'm feeling like waiting on the 540 is fruitless.

Their website has it listed as "Coming Soon," so who knows, but it is eventually coming.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

The T430s is a thinner version with no CD drive.

The T430s has a DVD drive :eng101:

It's just thinner and has less battery than the T430.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

T430 is the regular mainline laptop with optical drive (Ivy Bridge aka 3rd generation). The T430s is a thinner version with no CD drive. The T430u is a T430s with an internal battery and soldered ram that is slightly thinner to meet Intel's arbitrary definition of "ultrabook," a term which Intel wanted to mean "Macbook Air copy" but which now just means "slightly thinner computer." The T431s is a crappier and more expensive T430u that has been redesigned to look more like a Mac.

The Haswell generation all have 4 as the middle digit (4th generation Intel), so there's the T440, etc.

Basically, there was a large corporate reorg and now the people who used to run regular Lenovo are in charge of the Think division and charged with turning it into an Apple competitor. Their approach seems to consist of introducing ever more confusing product lines and telling their designers to copy Apple more.

Sounds kind of stupid, but at least I know now that the 430 seems to be the best of the line. I'm sure the 4th generation is not worth it for the money to me.
The most meaningful choices seem to be between the 3 flavors of i5 processor, whether to get the nVidia or integrated Intel graphics card, and the wireless adapter I guess? Right not I just kitted one out with the i5 3230M (the lowest level one), the Intel graphics card, and the Ultimate Super-Pimped Out Biznasty Wireless option, which comes to like $850 on B&N. I don't really see a reason to go beyond the lowest level option for anything else except the display and a camera. Am I missing anything important? And is the marginal benefit of the next two tiers of i5 or the nVdia graphics option worthwhile? I don't really care about battery power or weight, as it will be plugged in 90% of the time and I just bike back and forth to one building for work.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bob Morales posted:

The T430s has a DVD drive :eng101:

It's just thinner and has less battery than the T430.

Ah crap even I got confused. The T430u and T431s have no optical drive, but the T430s does.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
The ship date on my T440p just got pushed up to Nov. 3. Hopefully it's worth the $1300

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is the Yoga 2 wifi un-impressive for anyone else? Buddy ordered one and has to be within ~ 20 feet of the AP to get online. Seems like it's a pretty basic adapter for a $1200 machine.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Is the Yoga 2 wifi un-impressive for anyone else? Buddy ordered one and has to be within ~ 20 feet of the AP to get online. Seems like it's a pretty basic adapter for a $1200 machine.

Mine's fine - have you checked for an updated driver? I seem to recall me updating that since I got mine but I could be wrong.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Mine's fine - have you checked for an updated driver? I seem to recall me updating that since I got mine but I could be wrong.

Latest one was found when updates ran after it was unboxed.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
I'm finding it really hard to not be tempted by the Inspiron 15-7537, as a desktop replacement (the third config option).

The screen is very nice, graphics seem solid and I get a nice corporate discount on this bringing the price down to about $1000. The HD is terrible, but a nice SSD should solve that.

Any goon input on this machine? Also, what are the chances the price comes down on this even further towards the end of the year?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The spare AC adapter I ordered has shipped, but the T440s itself is estimated to ship Nov 20 :argh:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Nitis posted:

I'm finding it really hard to not be tempted by the Inspiron 15-7537, as a desktop replacement (the third config option).

The screen is very nice, graphics seem solid and I get a nice corporate discount on this bringing the price down to about $1000. The HD is terrible, but a nice SSD should solve that.

Any goon input on this machine? Also, what are the chances the price comes down on this even further towards the end of the year?

Bad keyboard (tiny travel) and weak-ish CPU if you're used to quad cores - you'd think something that size and weight would have beefier (Dell wants to sell more XPS 15s). Besides that the other specs are indeed enticing especially the graphics. Ironically the weak CPU would mean that you probably won't throttle when :pcgaming: I believe most Best Buys have the base model you can try out although that screen is absolutely not what you'll be getting or even want to be near.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

I'm looking for a basic laptop which I'll use for basic browsing things and at the most probably play some oldish games on. Is there a reason to be concerned about this asus? It seems solid for the price and I'm sure there are a few concerns that I don't know about since the op recommends the 440 thinkpads

I asked some guys at a local repair shop about the 440 series and they lumped lenovo in the same category as HP and Dell because supposedly they see a lot of motherboard malfunctions between those three brands. Which is why I was looking at Asus

also, this study:
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ixygwiym5cjpng/original.png

Business fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 30, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Business posted:

I'm looking for a basic laptop which I'll use for basic browsing things and at the most probably play some oldish games on. Is there a reason to be concerned about this asus? It seems solid for the price and I'm sure there are a few concerns that I don't know about since the op recommends the 440 thinkpads

I asked some guys at a local repair shop about the 440 series and they lumped lenovo in the same category as HP and Dell because supposedly they see a lot of motherboard malfunctions between those three brands. Which is why I was looking at Asus

also, this study:
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ixygwiym5cjpng/original.png
That includes both the Thinkpads (good) and the other poo poo that Lenovo sells (bad). I find it hard to believe that the repair shop would know anything about the T440 line as they're not even shipping yet.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That includes both the Thinkpads (good) and the other poo poo that Lenovo sells (bad). I find it hard to believe that the repair shop would know anything about the T440 line as they're not even shipping yet.

Ah ok that makes more sense. He just said that get a lot of Lenovo laptops with dead motherboards

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Business posted:

Ah ok that makes more sense. He just said that get a lot of Lenovo laptops with dead motherboards

Well also Lenovo, HP, and Dell are the top selling laptop makers in the US and most other countries. So you'd expect them to see lots of Lenovos, HPs, and Dells since that's what people buy the most of.

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.
So my Lenovo from the outlet arrived pretty much D.O.A. It booted up fine, but after installing updates it is now stuck in a Diagnosing your PC loop and will not let me do a refresh or reset either. How the hell do I get in contact with them to get it replaced?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

woodhead posted:

So my Lenovo from the outlet arrived pretty much D.O.A. It booted up fine, but after installing updates it is now stuck in a Diagnosing your PC loop and will not let me do a refresh or reset either. How the hell do I get in contact with them to get it replaced?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/landing_pages/contact/

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
wish they had foregone the DVD drive on the 440p for something more useful (I consider empty space more useful.) Wonder what effect the bigger CPUs have on battery life.

Anti-Derivative fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 31, 2013

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Anti-Derivative posted:

wish they had foregone the DVD drive on the 440p for something more useful (I consider empty space more useful.) Wonder what effect the bigger CPUs have on battery life.

Just replace it with a second hard drive. If we're lucky they might even release an ultrabay battery for that slot too.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Hate to be that guy and just drop in, but I would greatly appreciate some help.

I am looking for a laptop for my dad for under 700 USD.

It needs to have 15 inch screen, decent enough ram/cpu to handle 900 Firefox tabs open at the same time and a GPU that can run a game here and there (let's say Battlefield 3) at decent (45+) framerate on low/medium-low settings.
CD/DVD drive, 8 hour battery life and a SSD are not needed.
7200rpm HDD is a plus.

Generally he has no brand affiliations, but Lenovo might be off-limits for him since the last one broke down after 4 years, so he swore never get one again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Break Fast posted:

Generally he has no brand affiliations, but Lenovo might be off-limits for him since the last one broke down after 4 years, so he swore never get one again.

Tell him to get over his Lenovo hate and get a Y510