Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012

Hashy posted:

That's disarm and destroy (X+Y). With the explosive tanks and fire extinguishers you'll lob them into a nearby enemy.

Oh, cool, I guess I never used disarm and destroy with those objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Free Flow Power Gadgets, I always avoided getting that upgrade in Arkham City. Now that the "upgrade" is tied to an in-game-achievement in Arkham Origins, it seem inevitable that I will unlock it at some point. Can anyone explain to me the upsides of the ability? I'm not entirely clear on why getting a more powerful gadget is worth losing the flexibility of using gadgets during the slow-mo mode.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

CuwiKhons posted:

Honestly, I think a lot of the reason Batman stomps all over Riddler's plan in this game is for the same reason he refuses to ask for help from Gordon until he literally has to - Batman just plain doesn't want help. He wants to do it all on his own, whether because he's an anti-social rage machine or because he has a martyr complex is up in the air, but it's not until the end of the game that he's finally willing to accept that he doesn't have to be a one man army. I mean, Riddler's plan will end in tears from basically everyone but himself if it actually goes off without a hitch, but if Batman had been less of a jackass about it, maybe he could have just talked Eddie down and got him to use the info for good instead of mass chaos.

This is my opinion as well. And we see the something similar occur within in the Anarky plot too. Someone wanting to help out Gotham gets rejected by Batman cause he can do it all himself, and then that dude says well gently caress you then I'm gonna put some bombs everywhere and now Batman has to stop the idiot kid.

Arkham Origins: Batman breaking bones and hurting feelings

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me. I finally complete the Unseen/No DV predator challenge, exit the game to pick my uncle up from work, come back and load up and.... I have to do it again! Only now, the room I used for it is empty and my level up is gone. Fuuuuuuuck.

GuyCastle
Jun 24, 2000

Brutakas posted:

Free Flow Power Gadgets, I always avoided getting that upgrade in Arkham City. Now that the "upgrade" is tied to an in-game-achievement in Arkham Origins, it seem inevitable that I will unlock it at some point. Can anyone explain to me the upsides of the ability? I'm not entirely clear on why getting a more powerful gadget is worth losing the flexibility of using gadgets during the slow-mo mode.

It's not really an advantage in my experience, it just means that you'll throw three batarangs instead of one, or that your glue grenade will ensnare x number of enemies in a given radius. Like you said, the problem lies in that you have little control over who it will actually hit and so it will often gently caress up your combo by taking down an enemy you were gearing up to take out next. I've only found it useful in the very rare occasions where you're fighting a very large group and even then only when they're clustered tightly

That being said, I kinda like using the power batclaw right after a batswarm because it gives you an additional stun period, letting you throw in a more risky variation in your combo.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I would have found it hilarious if they kept up with the Origin stories, and made this also Nigma's.

Have him be a good cop, trying to help Batman out along with Barbara, then just have Batman just be the largest rear end in a top hat possible to him until he snaps and decides to murder everyone.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Regarding the "Is Origins cynical or practical?" debate -

I really do think it comes down to what you prefer in your stories. Origins is undeniably better executed at achieving its goals, but its also a much more modest game. I've seen the "Year Two" Gotham transform from corruption to supercriminal riff a billion times.

By contrast, arkham city was bursting at the seams with crazy riffs on older ideas. Even though Arkham City takes inspiration from No Man's Land and other Batman stories, it felt wholly original.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
What's the word on how glicthy this game is? I've seen videos of Aliens: Colonial Marines levels of fuckery.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

What's the word on how glicthy this game is? I've seen videos of Aliens: Colonial Marines levels of fuckery.

I've had more than one instance of Batman punching a dude so hard that he flew away. Not sure if that's a glitch or not though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^that's happened once or twice to me but it's a feature, not a bug :colbert: ^

Neo_Crimson posted:

I dunno man, I've put in like 10 hours or so and I've had a few CTDs and of course the Burnley Tower glitch, but beyond that my experience was pretty smooth. Of course, I haven't put too much time in mp but apparently there have been a lot of problems there.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The Shock Gloves make the game pretty wonky in places. I've had dudes have the little "I've fallen and I can't get up" stars above their heads after hitting them with the Shock Gloves even if they're completely knocked out, making me mistakenly try to Ground Pound them and screwing up my combo. During one of the challenge maps I used the Shock Gloves on the last 2 enemies, they both went down but during the Challenge Complete screen one of the goons got up and tried to attack me, that was weird.

Speaking of Challenge Maps, I'm Rank 13 on the Panopticon Challenge map on PSN. :cool: I'm also in the top 50 for the DLC combat maps as well.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Polygon downgraded the game from a 7 to a 4 because of all the glitches. http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/25/5026574/batman-arkham-origins-review-knightfall

Other people have reported it running just fine, but my copy repeatedly crashed, the framerate stuttered, texture pop in was rampant... not an ideal playing experience.

Oddly enough, gameological society (the av club's gaming section) gave the game a positive review and gave no mention to the rampant glitches.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Pretty glitchy at times, but nothing gamebreaking. Two main annoying ones (flickering intro boss, and optional area you can't access) that need to be patched out.

Most are harmless and infrequent. The weirdest I've encountered were an enemy frozen in a fall post battle, one body floating up into the sky, and I fell through the game textures infinitly. All were pretty cool since they only happened once.

Other people have had corrupt saves but I dont know nothin about that.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Neo_Crimson posted:

There's the Burnley Tower glitch and I too have occasionally sent thugs careening through the air with my fists or slamming a guy through the floor while he spasms madly, trying desperately to free himself from the geometry until he eventually falls through the floor into the great unknown, but I personally haven't experienced much in the way of other bugs. That said, if you're planning on getting the PC version, I'd hold off until a patch fixing the more egregious problems comes along. A lot of people have reported lost save files.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

I had to start over at 15% completion because my bats clipped through the floor and the game autosaved it.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I've had more than one instance of Batman punching a dude so hard that he flew away. Not sure if that's a glitch or not though.

This is the one bug I hope they don't fix. Batman punching bad guys like he's loving Superman is absolutely hilarious to watch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CuwiKhons posted:

A lot of people have reported lost save files.

I thought this was a console problem only this time around? Aren't Origins saves backed up through Steam?

Riptide
Jun 26, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm on the Xbox 360, and the game freezes at least once an hour for me.

It's very frustrating since I'm really digging the game otherwise but this is insane! I've never had any other 360 game freeze on me.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Riptide posted:

I'm on the Xbox 360, and the game freezes at least once an hour for me.

It's very frustrating since I'm really digging the game otherwise but this is insane! I've never had any other 360 game freeze on me.

Sort of like the exclusive Knightfall DLC for PS3, that's a feature for 360. It's a meta-textual battle where players are directly pitted against Mr Freeze.

Will you be able to direct Batman to victory, or will Freeze hardlock your game before you can save Gotham!?

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 31, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I once had Batman teleport across a predator room (not his actual speedhack flip, straight up teleport) to silently takedown a guy that then teleported in the opposite direction to where Bats was to try and hit him with a stun baton. Batman got hit, and then the thug collapsed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It should be noted that Black Mask was not crippled by the events of this game. Weakened sure but in Arkham City it's still stated that he is the most powerful crime lord in Gotham. I remember in City along with thugs stated they were going to join up with him after the Joker's death it was said in a tie in that almost all of his men went to go and work for him.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Edit: wrong thread

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 31, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Black Mask provides a better health plan, but Joker's dental was phenomenal.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

Holy God what an awful call

Edit: and the makeup
wrong thread, bub

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I know it would just end at in a draw with some kryptonite trickery but I really want to fight Superman in the next Batman game.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

QuantaStarFire posted:

This is the one bug I hope they don't fix. Batman punching bad guys like he's loving Superman is absolutely hilarious to watch.

It happens constantly playing the Deathstroke challenges. Hit someone and they just fly straight up in the air.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

It happens constantly playing the Deathstroke challenges. Hit someone and they just fly straight up in the air.

It's only happened to me once so far, but it was on the very first martial artist introduced into the game, which was loving hilarious after hearing the thugs talk him up. I actually half suspect the martial artist was Guy Gardener.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

It's weird in the comics Black Mask in the comics is almost a worse boss then the Joker. For example in the comics in order to lure the Red Hood to his location he called a meeting with all his top associates and leaked it. Then at the meeting he murders all of his associates before fighting the Red Hood.

Well they at least kept one about him in this game. Black Mask and Joker hate each other here and in the comics. They have both nearly killed each other several times, hell Black Mask is one of the few villains that has no fear what so ever of the Joker.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I've been playing this since release and at the start I really liked it. As time went on though I became more and more frustrated. For a start, they've made some kind of subtle change to the combat that's just completely removed the magic. Counters are extremely hit and miss now even when I know drat well I've timed them right. (To test, I went back to AC and sure enough I can ace encounters without a problem, then back in AO I'm getting hit all the time for seemingly no reason) The boss encounters are finnicky as hell and just prove to be frustrating and are poorly checkpointed, forcing the player to play through the whole thing and skip cutscenes every time they want to reattempt the fight which seems to happen to me often due to poor design. Generally I find the bosses to be pretty huge difficulty spikes in a game that poorly manages difficulty to begin with.

The city itself feels like it's all over the place and it's much harder to traverse than AC for whatever reason. The indoor levels are poorly designed and I'm frequently wondering how I'm supposed to progress.

I haven't really been following the thread so I could be walking into something pretty hostile here, but the more I play this game (I'm done now, I just uninstalled it and I'll go back and finished AC instead) the more confident I am that these new devs couldn't carry Rocksteady's lunch and if they hadn't been handed the engine and assets they would have been barely able to churn out a playable product at all.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The plot and the gameplay/dynamism of the boss fights both seem very uninspired.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Jerusalem posted:

I thought this was a console problem only this time around? Aren't Origins saves backed up through Steam?

If your game freezes during autosaving Steam will happily back up your now corrupt save. Everyone should be backing up their saves on every platform at the moment as the game is very unpredictable.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I got the costume for doing all the Dark Knight challenges, its literally the exact same costume but with a yellow belt ahahaha time to kill myself for caring about videogames.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Honestly, the only skin I want is the standard skin but undamaged in the aftergame.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

Honestly, the only skin I want is the standard skin but undamaged in the aftergame.

There is a way to do this, if you use this with Texmod. Only works with non-DX11 settings, though I think.

SabaSaba
Jun 20, 2010
Be happy if you haven't seen a game breaking glitch, because there sure are some. Now I'm stuck in this out of world fall limbo and there's no way I can grapple anything.
After reading Steam forums, I can clearly see I'm not the only one unable to continue at all.
And of course there's only one checkpoint what you can use, so there's no way for me to reload a previous save.
Should have taken backups earlier, drat it.

Talking about these:
"I'm just met XXX in the XXX in New Game Plus and when I start the predator encounter after loading there is just a black screen with Batman falling but I'm still able to glide and dive bomb..."
Lot of people have the same issue. Somebody already posted about this here a few pages back. It can occur almost anywhere, any time.

Also, the minor glitch list is a very long one, so a patch would be highly appreciated, even required. AA and AC had some graphical problems, but at least you were able to play them through in the launch.

SabaSaba fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 31, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Just never ask for laughing gas. Ever.

SabaSaba
Jun 20, 2010
Does anyone else think that the wallhack devices ruin the multiplayer? It's almost impossible to sneak and do nice Thievery tricks because the elites can clearly spot you, wherever you go.
The Batdevice which blocks the wallhack goggles has a terrible range. You have to get really close in order to use it.

The multiplayer has a great core, but at the moment it's not very fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SabaSaba posted:

Does anyone else think that the wallhack devices ruin the multiplayer? It's almost impossible to sneak and do nice Thievery tricks because the elites can clearly spot you, wherever you go.
The Batdevice which blocks the wallhack goggles has a terrible range. You have to get really close in order to use it.

The multiplayer has a great core, but at the moment it's not very fun.

This was a problem even in the beta and it never got fixed because Splash Damage pretty clearly have no idea what they're doing. It's the only way to explain some of the decisions they made.

SabaSaba
Jun 20, 2010
I've played 14 matches, and so far B&R haven't won a single match.
Only a few times it has been 2vs2vs3, because half of the players drop after lobby.
The multiplayer is glitchy as poo poo. I can't belive they have tested it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
Well at least a minor Steam patch is coming.

quote:

branches/patch1update_315668_3/description: Fix for burnley tower bug
branches/patch1update_315668_4/description: Various SP and MP Hot Fixes

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 31, 2013

• Locked thread