Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Got an oscilloscope. Don't really have any use for it right now, but it was free so :toot:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 27, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

make a monitor out of it for yosposting

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spankmeister posted:

probably not too feasible for an old crt scope

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

it's an old CRT scope. takes a good minute or so to warm up.

still, p glad to finally have one. never had an oscilloscope before.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 27, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
numerical stability dot png

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my idiot bitch hell fucker hobby is collecting old soundcards. just bought a PAS16 on ebay.

right now i have:
roland mt-32
cm-64
real mpu-401 (mpu-ipc-t actually)
nec branded yamaha db60xg
ibm fb-01
roland sc-155
sb32
awe64 gold
gus classic

and the best: adlib gold 1000

what do i do with them? play old lucasarts and sierra games

why? no idea

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i love those hilariously enormous old sound cards

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i'm glad people have started doing stuff like uploading doom music played on an old adlib synthesised midi card. it's clearly what it's supposed to sound like

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

don't punch me for asking an idiotic question but is there a reason why that youtube parser can't be done by a small bash script using curl, grep and sort?

other than having to use a linux of course

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ana5000 posted:

don't punch me for asking an idiotic question but is there a reason why that youtube parser can't be done by a small bash script using curl, grep and sort?

technically anything can be done in bash, as it is turing complete. but if you actually do it in bash you're an idiot and you should kill yourself

does that clarify things?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Abandon posted:

i'm glad people have started doing stuff like uploading doom music played on an old adlib synthesised midi card. it's clearly what it's supposed to sound like

i actually got into collecting this stuff because i stumbled on a youtube of monkey island intro being played on a mt32 which sounds heaps better than the adlib

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Ana5000 posted:

because gently caress all of that

but it could be done.

what is the best language to use to make a youtube playlist out of a list of urls in a txt file

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

spankmeister posted:

my idiot bitch hell fucker hobby is collecting old soundcards.

do you have one of those DAC-hooked-up-to-a-parallel-port covox things

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hubris.height posted:

but it could be done.

what is the best language to use to make a youtube playlist out of a list of urls in a txt file

java

people are going to mention p-pangs and they're wrong. p-pangs have poo poo libraries and libraries are the most important thing. my theory is that p-langers don't know that they have poo poo libraries cause they've never experienced anything better

p.s. safari autocorrected p-langs to p-pangs but i left it that way. its fitting

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hubris.height posted:

but it could be done.

c# or java probably have libs for it already

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

java

people are going to mention p-pangs and they're wrong. p-pangs have poo poo libraries and libraries are the most important thing. my theory is that p-langers don't know that they have poo poo libraries cause they've never experienced anything better

p.s. safari autocorrected p-langs to p-pangs but i left it that way. its fitting

scala and groovy can easily be invoked as scripting languages, and they get you j-lang performance/libraries without j-lang hassle

still better choices than bash.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
you guys are loving nerd bitches

i am home

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I'm gonna do Principles of Reactive Programming (in Scala, taught by martin odersky who designed scala) which starts on Nov. 4 because I've played a bit with elm and it's really fuckin cool but also making major breaking changes every release still and only compiles to jabascript so I want to see what you can do with stuff like that on the jvm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

scala and groovy can easily be invoked as scripting languages, and they get you j-lang performance/libraries without j-lang hassle

still better choices than bash.

scala is a j-lang so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nomnom Cookie posted:

java

i loved me some python until i had 2 use library and then i gave up coding

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i'm learning electronics and tonight i wanted to learn how to do pcbs in eagle, including how to do part order bombs from digikey/mouser and verify component models and thresholds etc

lol autorouting fails me even on really simple 2 layers

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
see the problem with using java is i have to have java installed on my system and as much as i love security holes

gently caress that, i'll just use c# again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can just extract the binaries. u don't need it to be "installed"

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i guess it probably wouldn't be that hard to unzip the poo poo to a directory hidden away somewhere on the pc and use it as a temporary addition to PATH and then delete the PATH entry / directory when i'm done

but why the gently caress should i go through all that work just so i don't need to install something because the company apparently thinks that bundling ask toolbar is a legit cool thing to do and that security holes are OK
edit: basically gently caress sun and java

edit: and c# is already installed and poo poo

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 31, 2013

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
u can edit you're eclipse.ini tot ell it where the java is instead of altering path. also you can click no on ask toolbar. you don't need to install it. but just use c#

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mido posted:

i'm learning electronics and tonight i wanted to learn how to do pcbs in eagle, including how to do part order bombs from digikey/mouser and verify component models and thresholds etc

lol autorouting fails me even on really simple 2 layers

eagle is astonishingly lovely idk if ive ever used a more counterintuitive tool

diptrace is my cheap and cheerful schematic/layout tool of choice

also your board layout is a piece of poo poo

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Bloody posted:

eagle is astonishingly lovely idk if ive ever used a more counterintuitive tool

diptrace is my cheap and cheerful schematic/layout tool of choice

also your board layout is a piece of poo poo

it is, :unsmith: thanks. ill look into diptrace

edit:

quote:

"DipTrace for Mac is actually just the windows version running in Wine"

aw man

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 31, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mido posted:

aw man

worksforme wontfix

also one my favorite pcb tools is lochmaster because it translates to holemaster

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

worksforme wontfix

also one my favorite pcb tools is lochmaster because it translates to holemaster

holemaster accurately describes me

but really whats a good tool that doesn't run in loving wine and isn't eagle

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sorry but board design on mac is just not a thing done by anybody at all real

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Mido posted:

it is, :unsmith: thanks. ill look into diptrace

edit:

aw man
You might try looking at DesignSpark PCB, but it's also Windows-only (runs in Linux under Wine). One arguable benefit is it can read Eagle formats. DipTrace may be able to cope with Eagle formats too, I don't know (never used DipTrace).

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

minidracula posted:

You might try looking at DesignSpark PCB, but it's also Windows-only (runs in Linux under Wine). One arguable benefit is it can read Eagle formats. DipTrace may be able to cope with Eagle formats too, I don't know (never used DipTrace).

diptrace will eat eagle libraries and thats all i really cared about, diptrace is probably fine but the neckbeard in me just doesnt want things to run in wine

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

honestly having come from goofy indie game mapping tools, eagle isn't that bad

its just an esoteric tool that was programmed as it was needed and no one has ever gone back to clean up the loving mess it is

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mido posted:

its just an esoteric tool that was programmed as it was needed and no one has ever gone back to clean up the loving mess it is

this is all software hth

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mido posted:

holemaster accurately describes me

but really whats a good tool that doesn't run in loving wine and isn't eagle

kicad is the only free one i know of that runs on linux natively

its only mildly terrible

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh yeah you could use http://circuits.io in theory

decent comedy option at least

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Bloody posted:

oh yeah you could use http://circuits.io in theory

decent comedy option at least

i live for comedy. ill go through this sometime and give a trip report (start to actual board in my hands)

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket
i'm doing this thing where i'm creating a wireless ap out of a raspberry pi and from it an openvpn tunnel to my place of work so that all of my personal traffic will travel through the openvpn server at work.

on this server i plan to run some kind of pcap stuff to gather information about my network usage, web browsing habits, etc., but i can't think of anything really interesting to do with it. my first idea was to create a web page that had graphs, and call it nsaid. a friend also suggested using twitter to create a realtime broadcast of my browser history, but that seems like it would be interesting for about two minutes.

anyone have any ideas for something interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
use your browsing history to train a markov chain/decision tree/neural network/whatevs to predict the next website you'll visit

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 9, 2013