Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Maybe as a guideline, if you aren't sure whether to make a thread, go for it. If nobody reads or responds it'll just fall away. Bart, whaddaya think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:justpost: jeez you nerds

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

Maybe as a guideline, if you aren't sure whether to make a thread, go for it. If nobody reads or responds it'll just fall away. Bart, whaddaya think?

Works for me.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
gently caress god dammit all. I can't stay mad at Puppy. He's spent the coffee hour at his church asking his friends to help me clear out the apartment, because he knows my back is a mess, and anything heavier than 10 lbs or so, and I'm in screaming pain.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
=( sorry dino. don't want to pry into what happened (y'all got married not too long ago, if I recall), but hope you're doing alright. <3

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if I had a sous vide setup, I would totally do one of these (right)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazP6zvJmiQ

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Someone should start a Thanksgiving thread. Mostly because I just found out that the family torch has been passed and I'm doing dinner for 9. Oh god.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Me in Reverse posted:

Someone should start a Thanksgiving thread. Mostly because I just found out that the family torch has been passed and I'm doing dinner for 9. Oh god.

Do not be afraid to knock out components ahead of time. For example, if you're going to be making stuffing from it, double your cornbread recipe about three or four days in advance. Keep the stuffing half in the fridge, and freeze the eating half (wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, and then foil, to prevent it taking on any odours). If you want to make a cranberry sauce, it'll keep perfectly well if you make it on the same day as cornbread. I find that the easiest version is to throw a bag of fresh or frozen cranberries into a pot, add enough orange juice to just cover, throw in a couple of pinches of salt, and sprinkle on a thin layer of sugar over the surface of the pot (as if you were salting it), and letting it cook until the cranberries pop. If you want the thing to have a bit more body, feel free to add a cored, peeled, and diced apple.

If you're thinking of doing roasted Brussels sprouts, but don't want them to take forever and a century in the oven, give them like a 10 minute blanch the day before, toss in oil and herbs/salt/pepper, and throw into the fridge. If you want roasted potatoes, boil them to tenderness a couple of days before. Peel (if desired), and refrigerate. This will actually help you cut them up without making too much of a mash of them. When it's go time, toss in oil, salt, crushed cumin seed (seriously, it's delicious), and red pepper flakes, and roast away.

Desserts keep really great. Make the filling for all your pies, and refrigerate. Line your pie pans with crust, and freeze. On the morning of, bake off your pies, and set them out to cool while the rest of the food gets made.

It's not hard if you seriously sit down with yourself, plan out a menu, and then break down the components of each item you'll be having to its basic steps. Then, see which portions can be made ahead, and do them. If you lose track of something, and don't realise until the last minute, DON'T kill yourself over it. Have a quick backup at the ready in case of emergency. I had a dinner party with about 20 people coming over (at home). It was a sort of serve yourself affair. I did the thing where I soaked the beans in cold water overnight three days in advance, cooked off large quantities of rice ahead of time (because when you're tossing the rice in lots of spices and such, you want them to be able to stand up to the abuse), and had the long-cooking, annoying stuff sorted out. On the day of, I realised that I didn't do anything about potatoes. I kept calm, sent out the husband for a couple of bags of mesclun from the grocery store, and served a green salad instead of the roasted potatoes. It was a hit, and I have friends who still ask me for that no oil/fat added chickpea miso dressing.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Me in Reverse posted:

Maybe you should start a Thanksgiving thread.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mindphlux posted:

if I had a sous vide setup, I would totally do one of these (right)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazP6zvJmiQ

I'll test this out and report back. Only downside I can see is that they wouldn't be seasoned while cooking.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BraveUlysses posted:

I'll test this out and report back. Only downside I can see is that they wouldn't be seasoned while cooking.

pics please!! and yeah I didn't even think about the seasoning thing - but I'm sure it'd still be good just sprinkled with a little chunky salt afterwards.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm just going to leave this here. do not click this if you value your job or sanity.

www.crackajack.de/artists-steal-a-chicken-in-a-vagina-nsfw/

poor chicken =(

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

I'm just going to leave this here. do not click this if you value your job or sanity.

poor chicken =(
She's obviously working on making a scheiducken.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm pretty odded out by chicken in a vagina, but I'm also a little confused as to chicken sitting out in the open instead of being in a cooler.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
jesus christ

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Maybe she wanted the ultimate in lip-smacking texture once the fat rendered in her slow cooker.

edit: The original article is called "How to Snatch Chicken" :haw:

Marta Velasquez fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 30, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Had a bit of a meltdown today, and called Puppy in a blind panic, because none of the crap was packed yet, and while my suitcase was set, he still had a bunch of papers, clothes, and other junk that he needed to collect. He said he'd be by tomorrow to help clear out stuff, but after packing my suitcase, it became overwhelming. Once he heard the panic in my voice, he grabbed his phone, threw on some shoes, and made it here in no time flat. He then went to our upstairs neighbours, and asked them to help. Six trips and an entire box of trash bags later, we thanked our neighbours profusely, and we looked around.

I had a bit of a mini-meltdown about how much this outright sucks. He agreed, gave me a hug, and talked me down off the ledge. I think it's the quietest meltdown I've ever witnessed, but it got out a bunch of emotions that I've been repressing /hard/, because I didn't want Puppy to see how much this was upsetting me, and get worried. "No, actually, I'm kind of relieved that you're finally letting it all out, and not repressing, because now you'll be able to move forward. And I'm not worried that you have emotions. You always have. I worry when you try to be strong for me."

It feels so much better to have most of the garbage out of the apartment, and just have a few minor small things to pack before tomorrow. Thursday, my friend is coming with her movers to haul out the furniture, and get it to her new place, where she has nothing at all. I'll do a final once-over once she's done, and offer to hire a cleaner to give the place a once-over, if the landlord wants me to. He'll likely need to renovate the apartment anyway, if he wants to get a decent rent hike from what we've been paying all these years, so it may be a moot point.

This still sucks, but I'm feeling a lot better, and Puppy has been amazingly patient.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
<3

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

mindphlux posted:

poor chicken =(

Now she's going to end up with V-coli. And if anyone fucks her, they may end up with streptocockus.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Phummus posted:

Now she's going to end up with V-coli. And if anyone fucks her, they may end up with streptocockus.

:golfclap: Well played, sir. Well played.

All my kitchen stuff is either given away, or packed away for a friend to come pick up. God bless potato chips. :patriot:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I made some chicken stock for the first time ever on Saturday and it was my first time using it yesterday. Went to pour it and it almost wouldn't come out of the container because it was so gelatinous. :smug:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I like to buy whole chickens and break up the bird into thighs, for roasting and stews/adobo, and breasts for pan-frying and Thai curries and similar, and simmer the carcass for stock. Really makes the most out of it, and soup made with stock really gets that little extra kick. Plus it feels nice and thrifty.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Clavietika posted:

I made some chicken stock for the first time ever on Saturday and it was my first time using it yesterday. Went to pour it and it almost wouldn't come out of the container because it was so gelatinous. :smug:

Welcome to the side of light and glory.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Clavietika posted:

This is why powdered stocks really fall short. They don't have the lip smacking goodness that a proper stock does, and try to make up for it by being salty.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BlueGrot posted:

This is why powdered stocks really fall short. They don't have the lip smacking goodness that a proper stock does, and try to make up for it by being salty.

Why don't they put gelatin into dried stocks? I mean, we have the technology to do that since I can buy powdered gelatin so it's not like it's a big deal. It's probably cost related, but I feel like that should be something they do.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
More Than Gourmet make some pretty good condensed stocks. It's about $20/lb though. We'll buy some during the holiday season, where I'd have have to be making demi every other day to keep up with our needs, and that just isn't going to happen.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

So guys, we've been talking about participation – isn't it about GWSSS time? That's one of my favorite holiday things! I love eating other people's weird food.

Bart? What say you?

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

Kenning posted:

So guys, we've been talking about participation – isn't it about GWSSS time? That's one of my favorite holiday things! I love eating other people's weird food.

Bart? What say you?

I'm sad I won't be able to participate this year -- blew my load on the NICSA presents, interpret that as you will. :pedo:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Move is over. Boss saw me at work on Thursday and how spaced out I seemed. He strongly suggested (I.e., demanded) that I get away and go see family because I seem to be in shock still. On the bus to VA now.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kenning posted:

Bart? What say you?
The thought had occurred to me. Maybe I can get a thread started today, depending on how terrible work is. How much time to folks want between assignment and shipping? I'd probably shoot for December 1st assignments if left to my own devices, but that might be a little short on time for international shipping.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bartolimu posted:

The thought had occurred to me. Maybe I can get a thread started today, depending on how terrible work is. How much time to folks want between assignment and shipping? I'd probably shoot for December 1st assignments if left to my own devices, but that might be a little short on time for international shipping.

December 1st is perfect. Gives a full month for signups and assignments, and if someone cannot honestly get their shipment to an international customer by Xmas, they shouldn't have signed up in the first place (in my opinion).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

dino. posted:

Move is over. Boss saw me at work on Thursday and how spaced out I seemed. He strongly suggested (I.e., demanded) that I get away and go see family because I seem to be in shock still. On the bus to VA now.

It sounds like you have some good people in your life who care for you and don't want to see you hurt. Take this opportunity to get yourself sorted out. It may take a while, but things will get better eventually.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

bartolimu posted:

The 1st should be fine, but an extra week couldn't hurt either. Why not give people until mid-November to sign up, and then give them their assignments a week or so after the deadline closes?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Okay I did a Santa thing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The best Santa thing would be to change the forum name back.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My mom got a new oven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEQIV9-ORk&sns=em

edit: Traditional asian cuisine doesn't have much baking in it, so moms just use their ovens as cabinets. Also, dish washing machines are used as more cabinets because why waste good storage space when you can make your kids do chores!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 3, 2013

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

What on earth is going on in GBS?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Holiday relaxing of the rules.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It's terrible. I do not approve! I am thinking of writing a strongly-worded letter to The Times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Explain for those of us who forget GBS is there?