Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Steam just updated the PC version, friend says that ONE tower is working now, about to test it myself.

Edit:
:pcgaming: ALL TOWERS ARE NOW FUNCTIONAL :pcgaming:

ZoninSilver fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there a goonmade WBID I should be using to unlock stuff? I don't have an iOS device for the iOS game.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I've just met Barbara, and she helped with the uplink and random tech stuff that makes her sound smart but is probably CSI level computing.

She went to distract the police, and I was all 'well, she's distracting them. Let's explore this room a little, there might be a ~collectable~'. Then I noticed the dozen extra police who had appeared, all armed, and heading for the room.
I hid behind one of the servers, and tried to stealth take down one at the back, but it turns out I couldn't so I countered the back of his head, and then got spotted.

With my back against the wall, I tried to think like Batman. How would he get out of this situation?

Punching. I was lucky, over half of the squad were blocked by the servers, so I built up my first bits of combo just beating on the 2 at the back.

I worked my way through that entire squad, jumping around the servers knocking them over when they picked up guns.

I am the Bat.

Every time Batman was like, "There's too many of them! I should sneak around..." I threw down one of those lite-brite bombs and jumped right in.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

RatHat posted:

Wow, Deadshot is such bullshit. He saw me through a grate. Anyone have tips for that fight? It's really beginning to piss me off. It doesn't help that Batman feels a lot weaker stealth-wise this game. Though the free takedowns from the Remote claw are nice.

I noticed that Deadshot doesn't really look anywhere above or below on purpose, besides randomly checking on mooks. So if he spots you for no reason, it's just bad luck. Just stealthily remove all the regular guys, then get behind him for a couple stun-beatdowns until he calls in some more guys. They all come through the front door and hang around for a little bit, so you could preemptively lay down some explosive gel if you want to be a dick. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SpazmasterX posted:

I noticed that Deadshot doesn't really look anywhere above or below on purpose, besides randomly checking on mooks. So if he spots you for no reason, it's just bad luck. Just stealthily remove all the regular guys, then get behind him for a couple stun-beatdowns until he calls in some more guys. They all come through the front door and hang around for a little bit, so you could preemptively lay down some explosive gel if you want to be a dick. :v:

I did that and one of the guys got stuck behind the door and had to wait for the next wave of guys to come in before he could get through it, poor guy just couldn't figure out if the door was push or pull.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I wish I'd paid attention to the Worst Nightmare challenges earlier in the game, as I've now beaten the other challenge tracks but I'm stuck on the 4 Exotic Takedowns one as none of the predator rooms I'm encountering have all the set-ups needed to complete it - I'm at Blackgate at the moment which I think from things I've seen in other posts is the last chance I'll get to complete this challenge, and I probably won't be able to complete the rest on this playthrough. :argh:

I didn't get it done till the Merchant Bank in NG+, and well, some of the next ones are going to SUCK there since so many mooks are armored now. I'm honestly not sure I can manage to do them all this playthrough.

...Which means I get to try them during a "I Am The Night" run. Now that's going to get spicy..

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I can't see the PC patch notes at work - does anyone know if this patch fixed the problem where Shadow Vigilante Rank 5 could not be completed?

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Lady Shiva's thing in the comics is that she is the best martial artist in the world. Like the literal actual best martial artist in the world and (at least when the comics are not being shittily written) she isn't going to ever lose in a straight-up fight.

Pfft, Shiva's got nothing on the Bat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAvVY8PMafI&t=180s (mute horrid music)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaizer88 posted:

Pfft, Shiva's got nothing on the Bat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAvVY8PMafI&t=180s (mute horrid music)

This is why I included the all-important "when the comics are being shittily written" part! I call it the Jeff Loeb Law.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
The key to the propane tank challenge that they don't tell you is that at least two dudes have to be on the ground, and at least one has to be standing; it doesn't work any other way. Basically time it to use the explosive gel on only two and tether the last guy to the tank.

Easiest place to do this on your return to the predator room with the deactivated bomb (that had those hostages you free) on your way to fighting Firefly.

You start from a hallway leading to the predator room for an easy corner takedown right in the doorway. Then put the explosive gel about three feet before the doorway containing the downed thug (so the goons get propelled the same direction). Use a sonic batarang to speed things up so they find the guy. Once two thugs are in range blow the charge sending them on their rear end towards the approaching third guy. Then just pop around the corner where you've been waiting and tether the propane tank to the last man standing, taking him down instantly and the two on the ground.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 31, 2013

SabaSaba
Jun 20, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Welp, just got hit with that massive gamebreaking glitch where Batman falls forever. Right after getting Disarm and Destroy.

gently caress it, I'm done with this game. Clearly Bethesda Softworks has a new competitor in the bug-ridden games department.
The game just updated and fixed this, at least for me. I'm able to continue playing now! Wohoo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SpazmasterX posted:

Can explosive gel even knockout on its own(without a breakable wall)? I've never been able to do it, it just knocks them down(though to be fair they're down for a while).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaizer88 posted:

Man that is stupid. Batman should be ripped apart fighting Shiva hand to hand unless she is testing him. (Like this game)

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man that is stupid. Batman should be ripped apart fighting Shiva hand to hand unless she is testing him. (Like this game)

I always liked the way combat in arkham games work. Against swarms of enemies, batman has to leap about and needs several hits to knock someone down, but when he's 1v1 against someone he'll pretty much stomp them instantly. The only villains who are a match for him one on one are Deathstroke and Bane (Though against Bane its those rear end in a top hat goons who're the biggest problem)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Do these sniper laden rooftops persist till the end of the game now? FLying around the city was fun, now it's a loving chore.

Comically, the last AR challenge is smack bank in the middle of this so you can do it unless you go through the painstaking process of taking all of them out across the various different rooftops.

Oh and they have bullshit, "spot you wherever vision" if you dare to even silently take one of them out.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Whats going on with the pressure plate/button puzzles here? Something seems really wrong. I'm pressing buttons and they light up green when the fail sound plays and go red when the success sound plays and even consistently. Seems really broken.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kin posted:

Do these sniper laden rooftops persist till the end of the game now? FLying around the city was fun, now it's a loving chore.

Comically, the last AR challenge is smack bank in the middle of this so you can do it unless you go through the painstaking process of taking all of them out across the various different rooftops.

Oh and they have bullshit, "spot you wherever vision" if you dare to even silently take one of them out.

Yeah, whew, that sure was a rough 5 minutes of gameplay, I'm glad I made it through.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I've finally beaten the game (took my sweet time) and my final impression is that I don't like it. On the plus side, the story and cast of characters are pretty great, and it's nice to see actual character development. The detective scenes are cool and a nice way to introduce some actual world's-best-detectiving. Set pieces range from beautiful and lovingly detailed (Anarky's courthouse, the My Alibi nightclub) to bland and repetitive (Blackgate, most of the hotel)

The map isn't great. It really didn't need to be as big as it is, and a lot of areas feel pretty neglected and empty as a result, like Amusement Mile. Movement feels arbitrarily restricted when your batclaw just can't grab things, from minor ledges here and there to the entire areas around Gotham Light & Power and Jezebel Park. Fast travel is... fine, but I still ran and glided just about everywhere I needed to go.

Combat is not great, which is kind of amazing when you think about it. They could have done honestly just about whatever they wanted with this game as long as they left the combat feeling as good as it did in City, and they'd have a hit for that alone, but nope. We get a tight, claustrophobic camera that allows enemies to sneak up on you mid-fight; enemies with poorly-paced attack patterns; and some generally buggy-feeling handling, such as the auto-targeting and knife counter takedowns just kinda failing you sometimes.

Additionally, the skill system is quite a bit wonkier in this game. The unlock trees don't really make sense (75% armor required before blade takedowns?) and having fairly staple abilities like critical hits and disarm/destroy tied to plot-paced optional side content is frustrating for those used to the previous two games. Even super minor things were changed for the worse: when you acquire a new gadget, you no longer get a pop-up telling you that gadget's quickfire button combo. You get to go dig through the menus to figure it out. Sure, they have the same button presses as their equivalent gadgets from the previous game, but boy, can you imagine Origins being somebody's first Arkham game?

I started out pretty warm on this game and enjoyed it less and less as it went on. By the end, rather than kicking off a New Game Plus, I really feel more like replaying Asylum or City.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Carbohydrates posted:

I started out pretty warm on this game and enjoyed it less and less as it went on. By the end, rather than kicking off a New Game Plus, I really feel more like replaying Asylum or City.

Yup, I just finished slogging my way through it and was more and more disappointed the further I got. There's nothing new to see here and what is here isn't as good as it was in City.

They tease you with a lot of characters but outside of Bane and Joker everyone has 5-10 minutes of screen time tops. Most of them show up out of nowhere just to have a boring/annoying boss fight and are never seen again.

As for the story being the best one I don't know, guys. It goes from literally "Who is the Joker?" to the Joker basically running Gotham in the span of a few hours. Everything just felt so rushed. Alfred is dead and Batman loses his will to fight for all of 10 seconds and then everything is right back on course. Also, yeah, that last fight was really dumb.

On the plus side it only froze on me once!

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 31, 2013

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

RadicalWall posted:

As for the story being the best one I don't know, guys. It goes from literally "Who is the Joker?" to the Joker basically running Gotham in the span of a few hours. Everything just felt so rushed. Alfred is dead and Batman loses his will to fight for all of 10 seconds and then everything is right back on course. Also, yeah, that last fight was really dumb.
Oh yeah, that's another thing. Don't get me wrong, I really did like the story. It managed to avoid being overly dramatic, a trap a lot of sequels fall into: gotta make everything more bombastic! Trying to up the stakes from City would have been dumb. But after all the potential of an excellent Year One / Long Halloween-esque gangland Arkham game, with the story of Black Mask's enterprise and Penguin moving on the Falcones, a non-veteran Batman and an up-and-coming Gordon, it still turned into another Batman vs Joker story. Really would have preferred if Joker had played a much smaller role, letting us catch a glimpse of what he's capable of (like what he did in the hotel) without making him the main antagonist. Again.

edit: enough with the loving bombs, too. Bombings stop being dramatic when that's EVERYBODY'S loving PLAN

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair, she's being controlled by Grodd in that scene, so it makes sense that she wouldn't be at her best.

I've been running through the Challenges and Campaigns (another little gripe I have with this game, you need to beat the Campaigns to unlock the Extreme difficulties of the Challenges, and I'm not a big fan of the Campaigns in City or Origins) and I want to grind through them all before I take on New Game+. Is there a Challenge like in City where you need to use the Sonic Shock Batarang to take down an enemy? Because that's the only upgrade I don't have and I'd prefer to take on all the challenge maps at once.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

"It’s also just plain weird. I mean, there’s a level where you go into a fancy hotel through the parking garage, and it looks like you stepped into a level from a Fallout game. Walls have holes in them, columns are collapsing, water is dripping in from outside, things are just randomly on fire for no reason."

Chris Sims over at ComicsAlliance does a great writeup. http://comicsalliance.com/batman-arkham-origins-review/

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I thought that Origins was pretty good. I liked the boss fights better than the ones in Asylum, and I think that the random collectables were a lot more reasonable than they were in either of the previous games. Seriously, destroying Riddler's network, and collecting all that extortion data makes a lot more sense to me than popping the Joker's balloons.

The game has plenty of flaws, but overall, I was happy with it.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Well, I've encountered what might be a new gamebreaking bug.

In the fight with Bane in Blackgate, during the section where Batman must shock glove Bane to death I lost the fight. Upon reloading, the cutscene where what I need to do is explained. I tap B to skip it and suddenly the next cutscene plays, where Bane is revived and becomes Mega Bane. The camera shows this boss, in the boss area he is meant to be in but covered in darkness. The camera pans up to the actual fight I should be doing and everything is there, but the dialogue from the wrong fight is playing, and I no longer seem to have any use of the shock gloves, which should make it impossible?

I quite out and back in and the same thing happened.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's a lot of chatter about Origins but what about Origins: Blackgate? I've heard that it's basically a Metroidvania kinda game, but that's pretty good in my book, so I'm wondering if it's the kind of game that will properly scratch that itch. I'm not looking for a game as expansive or as in-depth of a fighting game as the other Arkham games on my 3DS, you know?

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

PoshAlligator posted:

Well, I've encountered what might be a new gamebreaking bug.

In the fight with Bane in Blackgate, during the section where Batman must shock glove Bane to death I lost the fight. Upon reloading, the cutscene where what I need to do is explained. I tap B to skip it and suddenly the next cutscene plays, where Bane is revived and becomes Mega Bane. The camera shows this boss, in the boss area he is meant to be in but covered in darkness. The camera pans up to the actual fight I should be doing and everything is there, but the dialogue from the wrong fight is playing, and I no longer seem to have any use of the shock gloves, which should make it impossible?

I quit out and back in and the same thing happened.

That sucks... but you should record it.

The good news is that it's literally the end of the game and you can just go look up the last three minutes on youtube.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So the patch that landed today did one important thing: :siren: BATMAN CAN NOW CLIMB INTO THE VENT IN BURNLEY TOWER! :siren:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gonkish posted:

So the patch that landed today did one important thing: :siren: BATMAN CAN NOW CLIMB INTO THE VENT IN BURNLEY TOWER! :siren:

No more doing the Batusi on the pipe outside to launch yourself to the moon purely to spite Enigma! :neckbeard:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Comic book power levels are inconsistent as gently caress. Didn't Deathstroke take out half the Justice League by himself once?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

RatHat posted:

Comic book power levels are inconsistent as gently caress. Didn't Deathstroke take out half the Justice League by himself once?

Batman once took out the entire Justice League by proxy. Sounds about right to me.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that hard mode was easy as gently caress as enemies will simply non-stop attack you and you can stand still and counter to your heart's content.

They ain't joking. I'm basically unstoppable as enemies will gladly throw themselves at me over and over. Hell, they attack me so fast I can use multi-takedown to knock-out at least 3 enemies at any given moment. It's practically easier than normal.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah this is about how I feel, but I gave up before the end (I'll probably come back to it after a round of patches).

And I didn't see anyone else mention this, and I uninstalled before thoroughly testing and documenting this, but using a concussion grenade and following up with a takedown would break my combo every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxE6JJlTy5Q

By chance, I was recording the first time I saw it. I kept the video because I didn't know why my combo broke, but it happened a few more times and I put the two together. I think it's caused by starting a takedown before the grenade goes off: the concussion counts as a hit, and resets the combo timer (or whatever you want to call it), but since I already initiated the takedown, it doesn't detect any input and the timer expires and breaks the combo.

Or hell maybe that's intended behavior and I'm not as good at the game as I thought, but either way it sucks.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

ImpAtom posted:

Lady Shiva's thing in the comics is that she is the best martial artist in the world. Like the literal actual best martial artist in the world and (at least when the comics are not being shittily written) she isn't going to ever lose in a straight-up fight.

Bronze Tiger is her male counterpart but he suffers a lot worse for being the dude who gets his poo poo wrecked to show off how badass a new character is. That happens less often to Shiva. (Although it still does.)

Better than Cassandra? :smug:

edit: haha okay this statement is unfair and dumb since she's Shiva's daughter and all.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 1, 2013

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

RadicalWall posted:

That sucks... but you should record it.

The good news is that it's literally the end of the game and you can just go look up the last three minutes on youtube.

But it was NG+ and I want to do everything ever because I am malcontent with my life and I need, crave, the escapism the Batman games give me. I need to reach 100% to win the game's approval, and only then can I move on. Only then will it be satiated.

Video contains late-game spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzIQFAILyBw

SabaSaba
Jun 20, 2010
Holy poo poo. They fixed the infinite fall and immediately I ran into a new game breaker.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/209000/discussions/0/666824800715742082/

Seriously, gently caress the developers. How do they break it so badly. Lot of people are also stuck in rooms because the game tells them to secure the area.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Whelp, found a new bug. Whenever a martial artist tries to do a multi-counter combo on me he gets stuck in a t-pose and I can't counter them. Repeatable too and affects all martial artists even after a quit-and-load.

I'm starting to get Gothic 3 flashbacks here. Hell, Origins even has abilities that don't even work just like G3!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

This is why I included the all-important "when the comics are being shittily written" part! I call it the Jeff Loeb Law.

Ha! I remember reading "Hush", and thought it was terrible that Catwoman/Huntress, or whoever hit Shiva with a chair, and easily won a fight against her. So I looked up who wrote "Hush" once I saw your post.

Jeph Loeb.

Any they really should just make a game out of the Hush story line because 100% of Batman's villains show up. Like 2 villains per episode.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 1, 2013

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Darke GBF posted:

Better than Cassandra? :smug:

edit: haha okay this statement is unfair and dumb since she's Shiva's daughter and all.

DC Comics: "Who?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

Ha! I remember reading "Hush", and thought it was terrible that Catwoman/Huntress, or whoever hit Shiva with a chair, and easily won a fight against her. So I looked up who wrote "Hush" once I saw your post.

Jeph Loeb.

Any they really should just make a game out of the Hush story line because 100% of Batman's villains show up. Like 2 villains per episode.

Loeb wrote Long Halloween and Dark Victory, which share the exact same format and yet are really drat good stories. I never liked Hush though, despite having the same formula, and Loeb's writing has really degenerated for me to the point that I'm wary of going back to re-read LH & DV in case they're not as good as I remember.... or maybe they just worked because of the cool Tim Sale artwork v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I just got to the cutscene where Batman finds out Bane sacked his house and flies back in order to save Alfred. He then finds Alfred close to death. There is a dramatic death scene and then Batman brings him back to life by punching him with his electro-fists. He then leaves Alfred in the Batcave by himself. The very Batcave where Alfred was nearly murdered like five minutes ago.

There are seriously ridiculous level of Alfred-abuse in this game.

• Locked thread