Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ProfessorCirno posted:

As the others have said, the big issue is the question of magic. Mina doesn't use a whole lot of it, but Da'ud is more or less built around it. Then there's the stuff with tagers or shinigami or NOT VAMPIRE and etc, etc.

Yeah, magic is pretty much all Da'ud has. Being a Dresden wizard ate my entire chargen budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Also, to build on what Anna said, the time and complexity needed to redo three entire games worth of PCs might kill the momentum of the campaign. If you do this, I advise doing it with one game as the guinea pig first.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, here's what would change with a switch to pure Fate Core:

-No More Powers: In Core, a stunt is a stunt is a stunt. The closest thing to a Power is a stunt that requires an Extra and some permissions to take, which could be made to model Powers as they are in Dresden but would probably be unnecessarily clunky.
-Stronger Stunts: With a couple exceptions, Dresden stunts are pretty much garbage that applies only in niche situations and provides small bonuses. Core standardizes things so that every stunt provides a +2 bonus and most of them are much more broadly applicable (for example, '+2 to Intimidate attacks so long as you hold knives'). Any stunts that grant a +1 bonus right now or work under niche circumstances probably should be stronger from the conversion. Notably, Core's version of the 'Super X' (Endurance, Strength, Speed) stunts is also stronger, pound for pound. This could create balance issues except...
-Lowered Refresh Rates: Core doesn't have the +2 bonus from being purely human and it starts from the considerably lower baseline of 3 base refresh (plus 3 automatically granted stunts). It also doesn't have the Pure Mortal Refresh boost, the point breaks from Item of Power, Catches or Sponsored Magic. We're looking at going down from what is effectively 12 to 14 refresh per PC to six to ten, probably (depending if we go from the baseline refresh to a very high 7 base refresh and the 3 bonus stunts. These dials can be tweaked as needed, of course).
-Lower top end numbers: Even though Stunts and their Power equivalents are generally stronger, Core runs on somewhat tighter math and it's less easy to go up to the nutty numbers people like Shiro, Storms, Santiago and Da'ud can throw around. If we switch systems, weapon lethality (and armor durability as well) is probably going to drop by one or two points of stress in general to lower the amount of edge cases where people go from taking no damage on a miss to going kablooie on a tie.
-Skill List Pared Down: Not as big a deal as it would be if we'd been doing pure DFRPG, this is still notable because it helps some characters out, as Core has one or two less skills than the ones we have right now.
-Stronger Aspects: In Core, the action to create a Block, the action to set up a readied attack action, and the action to Maneuver are all one and the same and achieved with a single roll all at the same time - Create an Advantage. This means maneuvering is going to be stronger relative to just straight up attacking. I think this is a good thing because daaaaaaaamn, our combat monsters are scary yo.
-No Set Magic: This has been mentioned as a big problem but to me it seems pretty simple. Magic (and equivalents) are modeled as either extra skills, or 'upgrades' of preexisting skills in Fate Core, usually with some sort of stunt cost attached depending on what it's meant to do. For example, Mina might have Technomancy as a skill in Core, and so would Aidan be paying for a new skill called Millionth Favored One that does a bunch of funny things. Da'ud, meanwhile, would probably just straight up be rolling to do things with either Will or Lore. About the only notable change would be the death of automatic plusses from specializations and focus items, and switching Enchanted Items to be things that require paying a stunt (or more in the case of incredible stuff) to get. Should be simple enough to do.

Overall, the switch seems easy enough to pull off, and there are definite benefits in there. I think it mostly comes down to how lazy we're feeling about tweaking our sheets, really. :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Transient People posted:

Overall, the switch seems easy enough to pull off, and there are definite benefits in there. I think it mostly comes down to how lazy we're feeling about tweaking our sheets, really. :v:

Well, that and I'd end up losing quite a lot of my power from the changeover, and I have no idea what I do with the Refresh I'd get in exchange.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I agree, TP, but Storms' combat monstering was/is a combination of ridiculous guns and having a fat stack of FPs and a bunch of combat related aspects to just blow apart entire zones (and a bunch of carnage related compels to instantly get those FPs back), rather than powers. You're right with the extremely limited stunts/powers and FPs, this mitigates it quite a bit. However since throwing and shooting are now the same, and I wouldn't be doing anything with awareness, that's three stunts I could drop right off the bat, leaving me with only three I'd need to port over. Net result is him having "only" 3 refresh instead of his original 4.

You are right in that I don't see a way to do Dresden level channeling/power blasting with Core. I do see a way to create an extra like "Combat Engineer" or something for him to use crafts or similar to overcome/maneuver/defend. Attacking with it seems like it'd involve jury rigged flamethrowers with flasks full of flammable, sticky toxins and other things that probably would make Ettin make :[ faces.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 15, 2013

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, that and I'd end up losing quite a lot of my power from the changeover, and I have no idea what I do with the Refresh I'd get in exchange.

Well, if you wanted to just retain your oomph, what I'd probably do is port over Da'ud's big blasty spells using Core's Energy Blast - it's a Extra stunt that grants +2 to attack rolls and a +2 bonus to weapon ratings over the highest mundane number you can find. Attach a mental stress cost to it (and your other powers) and I think you're set for replicating his magic in Core.

Ronwayne posted:

I agree, TP, but Storms' combat monstering was/is a combination of ridiculous guns and having a fat stack of FPs and a bunch of combat related aspects to just blow apart entire zones (and a bunch of carnage related compels to instantly get those FPs back), rather than powers. You're right with the extremely limited stunts/powers and FPs, this mitigates it quite a bit. However since throwing and shooting are now the same, and I wouldn't be doing anything with awareness, that's three stunts I could drop right off the bat, leaving me with only three I'd need to port over. Net result is him having "only" 3 refresh instead of his original 4.

You are right in that I don't see a way to do Dresden level channeling/power blasting with Core. I do see a way to create an extra like "Combat Engineer" or something for him to use crafts or similar to overcome/maneuver/defend. Attacking with it seems like it'd involve jury rigged flamethrowers with flasks full of flammable, sticky toxins and other things that probably would make Ettin make :[ faces.

There's a distinct lack of explosions in Miami right now, anyway. Is a man not entitled to the boom of his explosives?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
It's not that it can't be done, Trans; it's that it will take a lot of work for questionable gain. We already have stolen most of the mechanical upgrades from FC, getting the minutiae seems unnecessary.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

My argument is that the upgrades aren't minor, though. This means we're at an impasse since this isn't something that can really be debated since the supposed value of upgrading is the keystone of both positions. I do think it works better if we switch because it eliminates a lot of wonky math and weird glitches, but that may be my preference for more tightly controlled numbers speaking.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

We've already run the baseline numbers and use Create instead of Block/Maneuver/Whatever. The next big change-over (magic) isn't adequately covered in a part of the system that Ettin seems to have.

I know of a quick and dirty magic hack we can use, but we'd have to get all the casters on board with it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Sorry about the delayed responses, I was rubbing out a spooky contest entry. PS: Peep the spooky contest thread!

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Ettin, Storms is in desperate need of FPs. Any idea for compels that don't involve hurting Kelly? Almost anything else is on the table, including taking minor consequences that don't clear before the big fight.

Also open to suggestions from anyone else, provided they follow those parameters.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

Ettin, Storms is in desperate need of FPs. Any idea for compels that don't involve hurting Kelly? Almost anything else is on the table, including taking minor consequences that don't clear before the big fight.

Also open to suggestions from anyone else, provided they follow those parameters.

How about causing emotional pain or distress I mean a dumb stupid Goon would be easy to traumatize this way.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I was planning a freak out once he learned about the whole "dealing with Deep Ones" thing.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

Compel War Crimes are Best Crimes to get all Pyle in Full Metal Jacket. Or I could compel Vice Gripped on Anna to get her white girl wasted, thus compelling your Janitor of the Human Spirit aspect to be all helpful.

Or one of your merc aspects can be compelled for unseen badness come crunch time.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Spreading the love (teenage substance abuse) sounds hilarious. Go for it. I would respond with a long, rambling, PSA that actually makes things worse.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hey, we're not fixing the dial yet, are we? Haven't done much with it yet. :x

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

You've done more than enough with it.

E: No seriously, I'm loving sick of this theme/setting.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I guess I'm just a little upset that I didn't get to do the transform thing like I wanted to do in the first place. Guess we have run through this long enough.

If that's a move everyone wants to do, I'm cool with it.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

How about you pop it right before the fight and we set it to something else before we start shooting?

(The obvious choice is Dating Sim)

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Haha, that would kill the point. Nah, forget it, it's cool.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
I'm super pumped for Noir Theatre, because Hardboiled Ando is the sales representative Miami deserves. It doesn't really add anything mechanically assuming we're coming up on real ultimate fighting, though. Maybe a comedy Iyashikei option where we all chat to Neo-Hitler about his problems and everything is chill and feelgood.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing is that in order to have Sully change the dial without driving back to the store one of us has to spend a FP :v: Sorry Ranbar, you're at the mercy of others.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I get FPs for burning things down, remember.

quote:

Maybe a comedy Iyashikei option where we all chat to Neo-Hitler about his problems and everything is chill and feelgood.

"Bro-sef Stalin, despite you being a untermenshen, how about we get together and discuss this post-polish division shindig?"- A. Hitler (1889-1993)

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 22, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

The thing is that in order to have Sully change the dial without driving back to the store one of us has to spend a FP :v: Sorry Ranbar, you're at the mercy of others.

Well, I promised I would save an FP to change the dial, I'll take it for the team. :)

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

If you want to become Meguca so badly Trix, Anna could probably hook you up with some Biomancy.

Nyarly knows I don't (ab)use her Sponsored Magic enough.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Not that badly!

Though we could use more dial settings to play with, might have to think up a few while I have free time.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 22, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
PS:

Mina didn't know where Sharon was a minute ago and Sharon didn't bring Madoka's head with her, so how did she know about the Madokas?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I misread something then! I totally thought Sharon had brought a Madoka head.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, this is a belabored They Might Be Giants joke, not some really grisly poo poo.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Well we already moved on so I guess we will roll with it so we can get out of here faster!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Happy Halloween, Trigger Warning! Have a dumb doodle!

Hideously anime cartoons for a hideously anime game! Did you decipher my pen dribblings successfully?

Arthur - Howl, Howl's Moving Castle
Da'ud - Xellos, Slayers
Big Mina - Haruko, FLCL
Lil' Mina - Major Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell
Sharon - Sharon Apple, durrrr, Macross Plus
Yue - Sayaka, Madoka Magica

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Goddammit Desty your art is awesome. Though I'd like to see Mini Mina's reaction when she actually has to shoot someone with that gun :cheeky:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
That is totally awesome.

We definitely need to do a Halloween mission in TWA :c00lbert:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

How would we tell the difference between a Halloween mission and our normal ones?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mors Rattus posted:

How would we tell the difference between a Halloween mission and our normal ones?

If Tager Arthur can walk around and get told "sweet costume!", it's a Halloween mission.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
My ideal Halloween story is basically the TF2 comics so... :getin:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Mors Rattus posted:

People give us candy without us having to threaten to beat them up.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Not that that would stop you from doing it anyway.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Two things: does Anna still have the Tsunderbuss and have I told you how great a character Ando is, Destrado?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If you haven't you should, because he is.

Have I ever told you you're my heeeerooooo...

• Locked thread