Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Here's David Ceniciotti's write-up on it, with an accompanying image

Notice something interesting? No cockpit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Slo-Tek posted:

Page is completely slammed. Is this a real flying thing, or just a render of what they'd like to do if they get money?

The model being proposed as a picture of SR-72 is actually a model of the HTV3-X Falcon test vehicle, which was supposed to have been built by now except for a budget cut (reduction) in 2009.

Given that the previous parts of the HTV program weren't especially secretive, it's unlikely HTV3-X has flown without being reported on, and much more likely that they're just trying to go with the 'strategic reconnaissance' aspect to try and get additional funding.

The actual craft is slightly bigger than the D-21 drone, so this isn't a giant awesome plane like the SR-71 was, even if it is the spiritual successor of the SR-71 and the D-21 program.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That thing looks like it should transform into a robot.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Washington Post article about it: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/11/01/this-is-the-successor-to-the-sr-71-blackbird-and-it-is-gorgeous/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

wolrah posted:

That said, since phones do this entirely on their own while idle and it's a fair bet that there hasn't been a commercial flight with no personal mobile devices left on and transmitting in over a decade, the fact that we've always been allowed to keep them ourselves and the "turn off your devices" rule was mostly handled on the honor system pretty much proves how serious of a threat those making the rules considered it.

This, however, is a stupid reason for lifting the ban. "It hasn't caused a problem yet!" has led to more preventable incidents in history than "Hold my beer and watch this!"

If modern electronics in an aircraft are shielded to a sufficient degree that consumer electronics have no impact (which I believe to be the case), THAT'S a good reason. Rolling the dice because Mr. Sneakyphone McCandycrush hasn't brought down a Mad Dog isn't a good enough reason.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

THE RED MENACE posted:

Phone posting so I can't link it but there's a SR-72 reveal up on aviation week :fap:

I'm pretty sure you mean :flashfap:

I think Mr. Vimes is correct that they are piggybacking a new concept on existing research. The article says that the whole turbine + ramjet concept has been worked on for the past six years. God only knows if that means the basic engineering work has been done.

Also, the SR-72 will apparently have a strike capacity, which means Pakistani grandmas can be blown up with even greater efficiency even airspace with proper modern defenses could have strikes performed on it.

e: Another prototype of interest to the thread: Russia has released images of the next-gen strategic bomber they want to build to replace the Tu-95/147 and the Tu-160 Blackjack.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 1, 2013

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

grover posted:

This was in Air & Space Smithsonian a few years ago:

The lowest two aero bands on that graph are the only two where signal interference is likely to cause problems - yes, it could interfere with DME, but it would simply mask the signal, and you'd need to be beyond the speced distance for DME to be working anyway for that kind of noise floor to be an issue.

While it looks bad, bear in mind that the noise floor at VHF signals is measured by NOAA to be approximately 20-40dB above absolute minimum (-174dBm for a 1Hz bandwidth).

For a 9KHz (rough basis for vocal audio for radio) SSB signal, noise floor for a signal is 10*log10 Bandwidth + Thermal Noise floor for 1Hz (-174dBm). We can substitute the NOAA measured noise floor for the thermal noise floor, and get 10 * log10 9000 + -150dBm (best case), giving us (approx) 38 + (approx) -150 or roughly -120dBm.

This means that the cellphone signal is roughly 10dBm above the noise floor.

That is an issue, but you'd be struggling to hear ATC out of the mush at that point anyway, it's about on par with trying to hear a whisper about 1m away from someone. If you're in a situation where you're trying to pick ATC out of background noise at that kind of level, the cellphone noise will hinder, but you're probably already SOL if you have master caution or GPWS yelling at you as well.

And this is only if the cellphone is 1m from the radio equipment, put it 2m away and the signal will be below the noise floor of your radio equipment anyway.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

quote:

“After years of silence on the subject, Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works has revealed exclusively to AW&ST details of long-running plans for what it describes as an affordable hypersonic intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) and strike platform that could enter development in demonstrator form as soon as 2018. Dubbed the SR-72, the twin-engine aircraft is designed for a Mach 6 cruise, around twice the speed of its forebear, and will have the optional capability to strike targets.”

Really, Lockheed?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Really, Lockheed?
"enter development in demonstrator form as soon as 2018" It's really just trolling for funding.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

evil_bunnY posted:

"enter development in demonstrator form as soon as 2018" It's really just trolling for funding.

I mean their claim that this could ever be anything you could describe as affordable without snickering.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well, if strike capability is added and satellites made the SR-71 obsolete, why would it be called the SR-72 instead of the B-3? (other then it being an obvious 'sequel' plane)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drunkill posted:

Well, if strike capability is added and satellites made the SR-71 obsolete, why would it be called the SR-72 instead of the B-3? (other then it being an obvious 'sequel' plane)

SR-72 is an internal nickname judging by the article's phrasing.

Also, "affordable hypersonic intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) and strike platform".

List of hypersonic platforms:
Space shuttle
Buran
X-15
X-37
:ovr:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 1, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

I mean their claim that this could ever be anything you could describe as affordable without snickering.
That's what I mean. Minimum 4 years of lockheed R&D to get to a possible demonstrator? Sure friend, I bet that'll be just peanuts.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

drunkill posted:

Probably because the end result is to dream up some kind of military use to fund further high-speed aircraft research.
And associating it as a sequel to a 1/2 to 1 billion dollar, nowhere-near-as-cool-as-an-SR-71, white elephant wouldn't do that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

STOVL USMC version in 3... 2... 1...

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

e: Another prototype of interest to the thread: Russia has released images of the next-gen strategic bomber they want to build to replace the Tu-95/147 and the Tu-160 Blackjack.

That's fanart.

e: Although close to that Soviet paper project the name of which I've forgotten

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mistayke posted:

I thought I'd share an experience I had yesterday.

I live within close proximity to JFK Airport over here in Queens, NY. And during the late afternoon, I saw my first A380 taking off. It couldn't have been more than a thousand feet off the ground.

It literally made people stop and stare. The sound was unmistakable. I've never heard an aircraft sound like this, so it made me look up and there it was. This massive beast slowly lifting in to the air. It was like a religious experience.

Anyway, thought I'd share it. Was pretty awesome looking.

I know what you mean, I lived right by JFK (I could see the approach lights from my kitchen) in Howard Beach until April when I moved to Long Island. The biggest things out of ISP are the SWA 737s; I really miss the big stuff at JFK!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

two_beer_bishes posted:

I know what you mean, I lived right by JFK (I could see the approach lights from my kitchen) in Howard Beach until April when I moved to Long Island. The biggest things out of ISP are the SWA 737s; I really miss the big stuff at JFK!

I just found out that today is suppose to be the last day that SWA will be operating out of CAK. No more 737s, back to just CRJs and Mad Dogs flying over my home.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

STOVL USMC version in 3... 2... 1...

USMC, hell, build it for X-Com (or the X-Men)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Strike capability too. Interesting.

Also, wtf is happening to GBS?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Godholio posted:

This, however, is a stupid reason for lifting the ban. "It hasn't caused a problem yet!" has led to more preventable incidents in history than "Hold my beer and watch this!"

That's not what I said. I said that the fact that we're still allowed to carry such devices on the plane and simply asked to turn them off indicates that the rulemakers don't consider it a real threat anyways.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm still waiting to put my eyes on an A380, a 787, and someday an An-124 and the An-225.

I had been fortunate to grow up around large airports but the last several years of my life have been away from any areas where those aircraft might operate.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I'm still waiting to put my eyes on an A380, a 787, and someday an An-124 and the An-225.

I had been fortunate to grow up around large airports but the last several years of my life have been away from any areas where those aircraft might operate.

I've seen all of those.

At MIA.

:mmmhmm:

EditForContent:

Fear the mighty Bahamian Defense For... Oh... I guess they're not flying today.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 1, 2013

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Tsuru posted:

The difference is that the normal EMI signatures inside the aircraft are known and tested for. Having people bring unknown fields with them and turn them on at random locations in the cabin is something aviation has been wary of, and I think rightfully so since it has in fact caused problems in the past.

This is a dumb argument. ANY consumer device that sends or receives a wireless signal is regulated by the FCC. That label isn't some random sticker that manufacturers put on, it's a certification that the device has been tested and complies with FCC regulations.

A plane drat well better at least follow those same specifications and regulations.

And also the argument about "we drat well better not be depending on Billy-Bob in row C remembering to turn off his cell phone or we're all going down".

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

slidebite posted:

Also, wtf is happening to GBS?

I dunno, but thank god.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

slidebite posted:

Strike capability too. Interesting.

Well, at this point "building in strike capability" only costs them the pixels for the bullet point, and the putting the bomb bay doors on the rendering.

I can't get over how not-news-at-all and no-airplane-in-sight this is.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just finished the ATA 24 (electrical power) for my 787 endorsement... Very very clever. Completely new architecture that the more you look at it the more you realize some very smart and talented engineers designed this thing.
One of the things I found most interesting is how it effectively replaces the pneumatic systems of previous generation aircraft, and yet the way it load sheds for things like engine and APU start is functionally nearly identical to pneumatic systems.
It's definitely the most interesting type course I've been on so far.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Everyone here in Seattle is excited for the 787 although the delays leading up to it have been an ongoing joke. I know I will be excited to ride on one. In the short term I'm more likely to ride on a 747-8 though. I am curious how much those sawtooth nacelles help noise.

brains
May 12, 2004

Linedance posted:

Just finished the ATA 24 (electrical power) for my 787 endorsement... Very very clever. Completely new architecture that the more you look at it the more you realize some very smart and talented engineers designed this thing.
One of the things I found most interesting is how it effectively replaces the pneumatic systems of previous generation aircraft, and yet the way it load sheds for things like engine and APU start is functionally nearly identical to pneumatic systems.
It's definitely the most interesting type course I've been on so far.

I wrote a paper on the 87's bleedless architecture for school, and it's pretty remarkable especially considering Boeing pretty much rewrote from scratch what was the industry standard for turbine-powered commercial aircraft pneumatic and electrical design for the last 50-60 years. I definitely see this design being duplicated in future aircraft from all of the major manufacturers.

Also considering the organic support for multiple (very) powerful generators per engine and robust power distribution built into the design, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boeing try to market an 87-based AEW or AWACS platform in the near future.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

brains posted:

I wrote a paper on the 87's bleedless architecture for school, and it's pretty remarkable especially considering Boeing pretty much rewrote from scratch what was the industry standard for turbine-powered commercial aircraft pneumatic and electrical design for the last 50-60 years. I definitely see this design being duplicated in future aircraft from all of the major manufacturers.

Also considering the organic support for multiple (very) powerful generators per engine and robust power distribution built into the design, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boeing try to market an 87-based AEW or AWACS platform in the near future.

It's really amazing. This is my 6th endorsement course, and you learn pretty quickly that an aircraft is an aircraft regardless of who built it. Now you've got this thing, and it really is revolutionary. Like, up until this point aircraft were designed in pretty much the same way built on the same foundation that's been established for like you say, 50-60 years. Even the 777 is evolutionary rather than revolutionary. This one is like an entire generational shift, like a whole new load of engineers came on board and said "why do we do it like this, and why can't we do it like that?" and instead of being told "because we've always bloody done it this way" they were given free reign to design something completely different. And what really strikes me is how elegant it is. Somewhere some engineer who came up with this concept is sitting there very proud of his invention, and rightly so. If I ever meet him (I might get the chance when I'm in Seattle), I think I might shake his hand.
Of course, I guess it helps that I'm avionics, so instead of yawning and nodding off while they're discussing muscle air and valve operation, I get to get my cone on and really get into this electrical system bollocks.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
FWIW, manufacturing parts for the 787 is a huge generational change as well. I think something like a third of the metal parts we make are titanium for that program. We're just starting to get into the composite poo poo as well.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Linedance posted:

It's really amazing. This is my 6th endorsement course, and you learn pretty quickly that an aircraft is an aircraft regardless of who built it. Now you've got this thing, and it really is revolutionary. Like, up until this point aircraft were designed in pretty much the same way built on the same foundation that's been established for like you say, 50-60 years. Even the 777 is evolutionary rather than revolutionary. This one is like an entire generational shift, like a whole new load of engineers came on board and said "why do we do it like this, and why can't we do it like that?" and instead of being told "because we've always bloody done it this way" they were given free reign to design something completely different. And what really strikes me is how elegant it is. Somewhere some engineer who came up with this concept is sitting there very proud of his invention, and rightly so. If I ever meet him (I might get the chance when I'm in Seattle), I think I might shake his hand.
Of course, I guess it helps that I'm avionics, so instead of yawning and nodding off while they're discussing muscle air and valve operation, I get to get my cone on and really get into this electrical system bollocks.

I'd love for either of you to do a semi-layman's writeup of what's so innovative about the 787's bleedless architecture. I think most of us know that it's A Thing and that it helps to increase the fuel efficiency over a bleed air system, but what about it is well-engineered/thought out?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

I'd love for either of you to do a semi-layman's writeup of what's so innovative about the 787's bleedless architecture. I think most of us know that it's A Thing and that it helps to increase the fuel efficiency over a bleed air system, but what about it is well-engineered/thought out?

I'd read this as well. I'd love to work on what I do for the dreamliner but my slated projects are all 737s and a320s :argh:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If I get some free time I'll see what I can manage, but I'm not sure how good a job I can do of conveying it. You kind of need a decent understanding of current aircraft electrical and pneumatic systems, and I don't think I'm that good an instructor.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Anyone remember the Time-Life 'Great Fighting Jets' series? Well I was at Wal-Mart tonight when I saw something unexpected and made a spur of the moment purchase. Long story short, I think I found a project to start working on this weekend. I just hope it works well enough for VHS quality video.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bad news everyone; tonight's infopost has been delayed. Aiming for Monday now.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

That's the way they're supposed to work. You can't get very high at all before losing connectivity, and the higher through put data protocols go first.

Sometimes. Other times not.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Not pictured: Being in a six million dollar aircraft and using Apple's "Find My Friends" feature to relay coordinates because of crappy VHF coverage at altitudes less than a mile high.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Phanatic posted:

The issue with cell phones (which are still forbidden according to the FCC) is that when you're at a few thousand feet up and have line of sight to every cell tower closer than the horizon you start grabbing channels/freqs on all of them, instead of just the one you're close to as you drive down the highway. You're sucking up all those channels on all those cells for as long as your call lasts, instead of just talking to one tower and then getting handed over to the next one as happens when you move around on the ground. It's not a safety issue for the plane, it just doesn't play nicely will the cellular network.

The rules might have made sense long ago when cell phones were the size of a phone book and dinosaurs and GameBoys roamed the earth, but the safety concerns have been ridiculous for years now. The fact is that people don't follow rules, so if the safety of an airplane rides on whether or not Bob in 17C complies with the rule and doesn't turn on his iPhone to play Candy Crush, that's a ridiculous situation and they should be banned from being carried onto the plane just like tiny little knives are. In addition, the dirty little secret is that basically every electronic system on the aircraft generates signals that can and do interfere with every other electronic system on the aircraft, so signal discrimination and rejection is a pretty big part of the design effort for each component.

Exactly. Even if you banned PEDs from being carried on the plane at all, the aircraft systems would still have to function in a very EMI-noisy environment, because you have all these different systems all radiating inside a big aluminum tube.

My only direct personal experience with EMI in flight was being on a Chinook during an EMI test when the control actuators started vibrating every time the crew radiated on the ARC-220.

More to the point, if PEDs did interfere with planes seriously enough to cause a safety issue we'd see them dropping out of the skies like bricks because you can guarantee a few people on every flight won't have turned them off. And if they're that dangerous then the cabin crew should go around with a lead-lined box before takeoff and force everyone to deposit them in there for safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Polymerized Cum posted:

Sometimes. Other times not.

That's still fairly low. I imagine it gets harder the higher you get. I tried in the bathroom on a few flights (can I admit this without getting arrested? :siren:) and saw a weak signal for a few seconds but not enough to be useful. At that point the seatbelt sign is off though and you're probably at least at 30,000feet. I figured I wouldn't crash the plane as I noticed plenty of people don't even bother to turn theirs off leaving the gate, they just stick in it their pocket...