Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

BulimicGoat posted:

I picked up the 30" Masterbuilt when it was cheap on Amazon and I'm trying smoking for the first time with a 6lb butt. With all these electronic components and digital thermometers, I'm nervous I'll gently caress it up.

Then I remember that hillbillies have been doing this successfully for generations without any of it, so I'm slightly less worried.

As long as you don't pop a breaker and not notice, or pull it out before a probe slides into it like warm butter, there is pretty much no way you're going to screw it up to the point that it won't be still be delicious.

The only suggestion I have is to go easy on the harsher smoke woods (hickory/pecan/mesquite) until you get an idea of how the final product tastes, but don't be afraid to mix and match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

McSpankWich posted:

Yea I've learned over the course of my smoking career that with the exception of baby back ribs, it's all generally extremely forgiving. Ran 30 degrees over for 15 minutes? No problem. Ran out of half of your rub ingredients and stores are all closed? Still delicious. Especially with pork butts.

At this point I'm pretty sure that you could just toss one on there with no rub, no brining, no injecting, no foiling, and no thermometer, and as long as it cooks for 12 hours or so hours and gets to ~195, it will be loving delicious.

I agree and my next smoke will be two small butts, one totally unprepared and one with the unsusal treatment. Very interested to see the results.

Also, if you guys can ever get your hands on a duck, loving smoke that bastard ASAP.

I smoked two of the yard ducks my landlord killed a week or so ago and they were amazing. I rubbed them with S&P and left them uncovered on a rack in the fridge for like 12 hours. Then more S&P and basted them in a thin paste of 5spice, Apple cider vinegar, and agave syrup. Smoked them at 350 over cherry for maybe 2 hours for two 1.5lb ducks. Then we pulled them and stuck them on a grate like an inch over a huge pile of coals for maybe 45s per side to tighten the skin.

They were amazing beyond belief, people were passing the carcasses around to gnaw on.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
They actually sell duck at Costco now, I wouldve picked one up but I haven't had any time to smoke anything lately. I'm no hunter, so I don't know how it measures up with something you shot yourself.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hah, these were not shot. Landlord's daughter goes to some hippy school and they incubated and hatched ducklings. When they got too big for the school they ended up coming to the farm I live on and were let loose in the yard. They stuck around until fall and while owls got about half of them, my landlord got the other half. If you have the room and dont mind getting your yard tore up a bit, then I totally recommend getting some yard ducks.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

coronaball posted:

They actually sell duck at Costco now, I wouldve picked one up but I haven't had any time to smoke anything lately. I'm no hunter, so I don't know how it measures up with something you shot yourself.

The ducks you buy at the store tend to be fairly greasy compared to wild ducks. Depending on where the ducks have been living and what they've been eating, the wild ones may be a bit gamey and are usually cooked with citrus to mask it a bit.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've read that some duck can taste like fish if they have a diet primarily of fish. The only duck I've ever cooked I scored first and steamed to let the fat drip out.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Anyone have experience cold smoking salmon? I seem to be having an issue with the curing step. The fish gets very firm. Almost the consistency of jerky. Simple dry cure of salt and sugar in equal parts for two days followed by the smoke. If anyone has a recipe/method they have used to some success I would greatly appreciate it.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

The recipie I used (Steve Raichlen's) was for hot smoking, but it used 2/1 sugar to salt + various herbs and pepper. You may be using too much salt or curing too long if it gets dry like that. Raichlen usually suggests 4 hours. I've done it less, and my guests preffered it but again, the fish gets fully cooked the way I do it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

The recipie I used (Steve Raichlen's) was for hot smoking, but it used 2/1 sugar to salt + various herbs and pepper. You may be using too much salt or curing too long if it gets dry like that. Raichlen usually suggests 4 hours. I've done it less, and my guests preffered it but again, the fish gets fully cooked the way I do it.

My hot smoking method is pretty top notch, but I am working on replicating the kind of lox found on a bagel (which the internet tells me is from cold smoking).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crazyeyes posted:

My hot smoking method is pretty top notch, but I am working on replicating the kind of lox found on a bagel (which the internet tells me is from cold smoking).

Lox is unsmoked, just cured.

Cold smoked salmon has a more delicate texture than hot smoked.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I cold smoked sockeye salmon before, and it came out fantastic. We used Alton Browns method found here with some minor adjustments (temp): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-salmon-recipe/index.html

It came out ridiculously amazing. We used two grills as the cold smoker. Lit a few coals and put some wood in grill #1, and then attached some metal ducting to the smokestack and piped it into the intake on grill #2, with the fish on the grate in the middle, between the intake and the stack. It allowed us to keep the temp in grill #2 at ~80 degrees or so.

The next day we made lox/capers/bagels and it was probably the best I've ever had. We had a second piece of fish that went bad in like 4 days though. So eat it quick! I can dig up a picture of the setup when I get home if you want to see it.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

McSpankWich posted:

I can dig up a picture of the setup when I get home if you want to see it.

McSpankWich posted:

So I'm on vacation this week from work, and a coworker and I decided it would be a good idea to just BBQ the whole week. We started off Monday with 2 failed attempts at a cold smoker out of his two grills and a garbage can, and a 3rd attempt which actually worked. We then smoked some cheese in it, and made a Bacon Explosion in my WSM, which was meh, but looked really cool. Here is the setup:

This right here.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Haha! Yes that's it. Welp.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

I'm trying to get into smoking/grilling, but in terms of meat quality; do grocery stores like publix typically have good cuts of meat? Or should I seek out a butcher shop?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

kiresays posted:

I'm trying to get into smoking/grilling, but in terms of meat quality; do grocery stores like publix typically have good cuts of meat? Or should I seek out a butcher shop?

It depends on what kind of meat you're looking for. Shoulders, ribs, loins, and briskets, chickens, chops, etc., are usually fine from the grocery store. The packer briskets and ribs in the vacuum packs are usually cheap and taste fine.

Steaks are the big exception. Prime steaks are a lot better than choice or select and a lot of grocery stores don't have a very good selection of grades or thick cuts.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

kiresays posted:

Publix is fine for things like ribs and pork shoulders. They never once had a full brisket though, just a trimmed up flat. Find a restaurant supply store. poo poo is WAY cheaper compared to a normal grocery store.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...

kiresays posted:

I really love Publix's meat. Skin-on pork picnic shoulder, comes in a big sealed bag generally for anywhere from 1.19 to 1.30/lb. They also sell half picnic shoulders that sell for ten cents more. I also can find beef back ribs for .99/lb. This is in Nashville, for reference. My store seems to have unique cuts and will sometimes put out pigs' feet and honeycomb tripe.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Five Spice posted:

I really love Publix's meat. Skin-on pork picnic shoulder, comes in a big sealed bag generally for anywhere from 1.19 to 1.30/lb. They also sell half picnic shoulders that sell for ten cents more. I also can find beef back ribs for .99/lb. This is in Nashville, for reference. My store seems to have unique cuts and will sometimes put out pigs' feet and honeycomb tripe.

God drat you and those like you. It is not unusual for me to have to pay 2x that for picnics.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Some rear end in a top hat stole my big green egg last night. gently caress thieves forever and ever.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

BraveUlysses posted:

Some rear end in a top hat stole my big green egg last night. gently caress thieves forever and ever.

Ouch. One of our customers brought his new trailer pit home Saturday night. Sunday morning, his pit AND his F-250 were gone.

gently caress thieves.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

PhotoKirk posted:

Ouch. One of our customers brought his new trailer pit home Saturday night. Sunday morning, his pit AND his F-250 were gone.

gently caress thieves.

Well that is one way to get a bbq pit. =/

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I'm trying my hand at using my grill to smoke some meat on Friday (a premarinated brisket and some sausage - I'm diving into the deep end of the pool). I had to buy a new hood thermometer because the old one is broken and I've always just set my gas to the lowest possible setting to do my grilling of steaks and such.

I'd really like to get something better to monitor the heat inside of my gas grill since I know that the hood thermometer isn't going to be that accurate of a read. I'm thinking of getting either an oven thermometer to place inside of the grill or a digital probe that I can stick to the grill grates next to the meat. I want something cheap that can possibly be bought at a local WalMart, BB&B, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. or something that I could get off of Amazon.

What kind of CHEAP suggestions do you guys have? Give me some options.

jason
Jul 25, 2002

Is ~50 too expensive? The Maverick ET-732 is pretty popular with BBQ people. It has two probes - one for the meat and one for the grill temperature. It comes with a wireless monitor/alarm that will alert you when your meat has reached the set temperature or the temp of your grill gets out of the range you set. It's nice for overnight smoking because it will wake me up if something gets weird with my pit temp.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
That doesn't seem to be too outrageously expensive considering what you get and considering that I'm doing this on the cheap without having to buy a smoker and a bunch of other equipment.

What's the consensus out there on the iGrill since I'm seeing this as an option that Amazon is suggesting.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I went with the Maverick, and have been very happy with it.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay, I feel nuts for putting $60 on a thermometer, but this appears to be what everyone is using... that and I keep reading about how temperatures are so important.

I bought the "special edition" (i.e. Black) one.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

LaserWash posted:

Okay, I feel nuts for putting $60 on a thermometer, but this appears to be what everyone is using... that and I keep reading about how temperatures are so important.

That's the one I bought. I had no experience whatsoever with any digial thermometer (or smoking for that matter) and used it to smoke meat out of a smoker made from a tamale pot sandwiched between parts of a mini grill. The thermometer does a great job keeping up with the temp changes my shoddy rig maintains, so it should work well for your needs.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

LaserWash posted:

haha.. I got the same one as well. It will serve you well.

CHiMPY
Feb 10, 2003
After much stuffing around trying to find the right parts locally and then just ordering everything from mouser anyway...

I finally got around to putting together the heatermeter.

Case was printed by one of my mates and bribed another with promises of BBQ if he soldered everything together for me.

It works great in the garage, hopefully it performs just as well when attached to the BBQ.

Now to go buy a lump of dead animal to cook.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Congrats, my buddy and I have like 95% of the parts to put ours together, just need to get around to it.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Yeah nice work, Chimpy. He had a really hard time trying to source compatible parts from places down under, so there's no excuse for you American types!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CHiMPY posted:

Case was printed by one of my mates and bribed another with promises of BBQ if he soldered everything together for me.

Your project looks really nice. Can you go more into how you got your case finished? I'd like to build one of these but making it not look terrible would be a huge plus.

CHiMPY
Feb 10, 2003

Hed posted:

Your project looks really nice. Can you go more into how you got your case finished? I'd like to build one of these but making it not look terrible would be a huge plus.

The case is straight off the printer.
I sent the stl files provided by the guys who designed it to my mate who has a replicator2 and he put it in the mail once it was done.

The finish looks very much like a 3d printed object with all the layers but it looks pretty good IMO.

You can get a better idea if you look at the high res images in the gallery here

http://mcmonkey.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=51

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Anyone got any good all-purpose dry rub recipes? Google essentially did give up and buy premade which has worked in the past but I bet homemade is leaps and bounds above.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

Anyone got any good all-purpose dry rub recipes? Google essentially did give up and buy premade which has worked in the past but I bet homemade is leaps and bounds above.

Homemade is basically the same as buying it pre-made, just less expensive. I'm a big fan of the texasbbqrub.com stuff if you want to continue that route...

Otherwise almost everything is some permutation of Pepper/Salt/Mustard/Paprika/Garlic/Oregano/Cumin/Onion/Sugar.

*shrug* Mix and match away.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

McSpankWich posted:

I use this on pork:

1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp chili powder (homemade)
1 Tbsp cayenne (or chipotle depending on how I feel)
1 Tbsp of salt
1 Tbsp of black pepper
1 tbsp (smoked) paprika
1/2 Cup of brown sugar

measurements are never precise

For beef I just use salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder. Sometimes I just dump a bunch of crap on it. It never comes out bad.

edit: Made that beef thing linked earlier in the thread this weekend. I cut up the peppers/onions beforehand and put them on the bottom tray of my WSM, so they would smoke and the beef drippings would fall into them. Used a bottle of Old Rasputin instead of Guinness. Came out pretty spectacular. I think I still prefer a pork shoulder though.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 4, 2013

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Digital_Jesus posted:

Otherwise almost everything is some permutation of Pepper/Salt/Mustard/Paprika/Garlic/Oregano/Cumin/Onion/Sugar.

Replace the oregano and cumin with thyme and cinnamon and you have my go-to rub. I got some on some pork belly right now that I'm hoping to smoke on my day off wednesday if the weather isn't too bad. Just for an hour or two, though, before it takes a long, slow braise in some beer.

Any recommendations for a good widely-available braising beer for finishing smoked meats, pork in particular? I usually just swipe some Budweiser from my dad's fridge when I'm over using the smoker since I don't drink beer at all.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Crazyeyes posted:

The one from amazingribs is good as a base that you can then play with.

If you want premade, I like Penzey's Barbecue of the Americas or BBQ 3000 (haven't tried 3001 yet). Penzey's also has the best paprika for the amazingribs one.

I agree, though, it's not going to make a huge amount of difference. I mean, if all you've tried is like McCormick's, then yeah there's a lot of improvement. But once you get into good rubs, whether your own variations or premade, they're all very good. It doesn't make too much difference.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Republicans posted:

Replace the oregano and cumin with thyme and cinnamon and you have my go-to rub. I got some on some pork belly right now that I'm hoping to smoke on my day off wednesday if the weather isn't too bad. Just for an hour or two, though, before it takes a long, slow braise in some beer.

Any recommendations for a good widely-available braising beer for finishing smoked meats, pork in particular? I usually just swipe some Budweiser from my dad's fridge when I'm over using the smoker since I don't drink beer at all.

I'm a big fan of using New Castle for that purpose. Available basically anywhere. Also tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

Dizzy Pig makes fantastic rubs. They are all pretty varied as well so you can find something to your liking. The guy who runs it has won a few bbq competitions with the rubs he sells.

http://dizzypigbbq.com/