Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, fire ants are bad news. Another good candidate for sunder mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Some roguelike news I didn't see posted.

ToME4 has been greenlighted on steam!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93674769

In ADOM news, Biskup has released the latest build to the public:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2013/11/adom-120-prerelease-18-is-available-for.html

So if you didn't donate to the campaign, now you can check out those tiles!

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Bob NewSCART posted:

Also one more quick retarded question that I should know the answer to, how do I fill up my skins with some water?

You can get water by trading stuff like dis astragant said, the difference in barter value will be made up in water (1 dram per $1). You can also fill skins with any liquid by interacting with a pool of liquid on the ground, or by selecting a container in your inventory while standing on a tile of liquid. Most of the water you find in the world is salty, so you can't drink it or use it for trade, but you'll very rarely find small pools of fresh water. It will still put out fires if you pour it out, so having a skin full of salty water can be useful. I haven't played since the last major update, so I don't remember all the specifics offhand, but the menus should be pretty self explanatory.

Dec 26, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting started in Sil?

An easy starting setup is to do 6 melee, 6 evasion and then 3 in some other skill - mess around with a few races (higher on the list is generally better, they're not remotely balanced) and their affinities (an affinity means you get +1 to that skill and you can get a free ability related to that skill - hit tab to see these in game). For stats make sure to not skimp on dex, str, or con (minimum 2 in each).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Happylisk posted:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2013/11/adom-120-prerelease-18-is-available-for.html

Been waiting for this, thanks for the link!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there a reliable place to find the wire for the crazy dude after you give him the two artifacts?

Also what are some good skills to invest in if I do manage to get a character off the ground? I've just been pumping axe skills most of the time.

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 3, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is there a reliable place to find the wire for the crazy dude after you give him the two artifacts?

He tells you to go to the Rust Wells, which are 3 red dots on the world map a bit east of Joppa. You'll find tons of it laying on the ground there, though sometimes you might have to fart around underground to get enough. Be sure to kill qudzu and rustaceans with ranged attacks if you don't want to be there all day.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So my carbide battle axe got rusted. What do I do about this? It's been a pretty badass weapon so far.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Bob NewSCART posted:

So my carbide battle axe got rusted. What do I do about this? It's been a pretty badass weapon so far.

How does something made out of carbide rust?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Got to Grit Gate or the goatman village and buy something better.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

As far as I know, the only way to repair rusted or broken items is to use Fix-It spray, which is pretty rare. Unless it's something totally badass, then you're better off just buying something to replace as said above.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Protocol 5 posted:

As far as I know, the only way to repair rusted or broken items is to use Fix-It spray, which is pretty rare. Unless it's something totally badass, then you're better off just buying something to replace as said above.

Is that the use of that? As I have yet to use that item, the description made me think it was to regrow a limb or some such thing due to the fact that it says not to use it on a heart. Maybe the description could be better..

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Interesting to see all the mutation build chat. I haven't played CoQ heavily for a couple of years but I remember the general opinion being that true men were much stronger in the early game. What changed?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

andrew smash posted:

Interesting to see all the mutation build chat. I haven't played CoQ heavily for a couple of years but I remember the general opinion being that true men were much stronger in the early game. What changed?

I don't believe that was ever actually accurate.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

They get better stats and gear, so they're stronger if you're not using mutations much, I guess?

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The main thing is that mutations have gotten better, while injectors were made a lot weaker. I still prefer True Man tinkers myself, but you can't bank on having pretty much limitless HP as soon as you learn the healing injector recipe any more. With mutants you don't have to depend on finding good gear early to get anywhere, and several of the mutations have effects that you can't duplicate with tech (yet, anyway). If cyberware becomes a bigger, more reliably available part of the game, that might change things.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam

Protocol 5 posted:

Unless I am mistaken, a lot of vendors that can tinker can also repair items. You just hit 'r' with the cursor over the item in the trade menu, sort of like you'd have an NPC identify stuff. It's not too expensive, I think, although I haven't used it a ton. But, yeah, only way to do it while adventuring is Fix-It spray or Tinkering>Repair.

EDIT: Just checked, even the tinkerer in Joppa can repair stuff, so yeah, definitely can do it that way.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

LizardBeam posted:

Unless I am mistaken, a lot of vendors that can tinker can also repair items. You just hit 'r' with the cursor over the item in the trade menu, sort of like you'd have an NPC identify stuff. It's not too expensive, I think, although I haven't used it a ton. But, yeah, only way to do it while adventuring is Fix-It spray or Tinkering>Repair.

EDIT: Just checked, even the tinkerer in Joppa can repair stuff, so yeah, definitely can do it that way.

Sweet, thanks. This character has made it to level 11 now. Been blowing pretty much everything up with flaming hands and sunder mind while hiding inside my carapace, I just picked up a desert rifle I have approximately 70-80 lead slugs, along with two battleaxs. One of the issues I've been having is going starving due to ravenous if I use the world map, and I can't carry enough corpses around without not being able to move if I want to actually try and feed myself while I'm travelling. I guess I'll have to farm some glowpads.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting started in Sil?

First of all, go Noldor. Noldor have the best base stats and are the easiest race to play and having a blade proficiency is very nice. For stats, you should choose stats that reflect the kind of build you're thinking of going for. If you want to be a more traditional hack and slash kind of elf, I'd take 3 str 4 dex 4 con 3 grace, then invest 1000 to 1500 of my starting XP into both melee and evasion. If you take a Noldor of Feanor consider taking points into smithing too, as it can be a great way to bootstrap yourself if you miss good starting equipment. Getting 6 skill points in smithing before the 100' foot forge will let you take both armorsmith and artistry, which will let you add extra stat points onto the armor you craft. A shield, some studded leather armor and a +2 Cloak are all useful if you haven't found any yet. You can also go enchanting instead of artistry (which is what I've been doing lately) and craft gloves of the forge, a cloak of protection or a shield of deflection and a helm of brilliance. The helm is especially nice since it adds to your light radius meaning even while using a torch you have a light radius of 2.

If you go for a stealth character you'll still want to put at least 4 points into dex, if not 5. Dexterity is easily the most important stat, as it improves your ability to dodge, hit and sneak. Strength mainly just adds extra sides to your hit dies, which is still useful, but dexterity is just that good. I honestly don't have much to say about stealth, however, because I almost never play it :shobon:

Other then that, remember that the more dice a weapon has (i.e. 4d3) the less likely it is to crit and vice versa. So if you want a sneaky, stabby dude using weapons like shortswords allows for more crits. Also, three other big suggestions I have. If you see a purple lower case m DO NOT ATTACK IT. DO NOT LOOK AT IT. RUN AWAY. They drain your constitution, and that means losing HP until you find a way to restore it. Second, be careful if you see strange darkness. If you enter a lit room and there's a blob of darkness in the corner, be careful. But the biggest suggestion I can give is that you should never hesitate to run away and dash up or down a set of stairs. When I finally got this idea drilled into my head, my average floor of death went from 300' to 650'. If you ever feel unconfident or overwhelmed RUN AWAY. Stairs are your friend and it pays to know where the nearest staircase is.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
All this CoQ talk is making me squirm. I feel like I would really like it but man, all that ascii just turns me off.

Also, what are these in PRIME?

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 3, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Space Bat posted:

But the biggest suggestion I can give is that you should never hesitate to run away and dash up or down a set of stairs. When I finally got this idea drilled into my head, my average floor of death went from 300' to 650'. If you ever feel unconfident or overwhelmed RUN AWAY. Stairs are your friend and it pays to know where the nearest staircase is.

One thing neither of us mentioned that's worth noting is how the floors work:

1) It instances a floor of a given depth every time you go up or down stairs. If you have to escape upstairs and later go downstairs, you won't be smack in the middle of whatever awful poo poo you ran from. Bear this in mind when you walk down the stairs and are immediately surrounded or something - there's no real reason not to turn right back around.
2) On your character sheet is a minimum depth which is based on your time (corrected, thanks). If you're on the same depth as your minimum, trying to go upstairs will put you back at the same depth. If you're on a lower depth than your minimum, trying to go upstairs will end up bringing you downstairs. This is good to know because if you're still not feeling like you're up to snuff enough to hit up the next floor gear-wise/exp-wise, you can spawn another floor full of stuff at that same level instead of advancing - but only to a point.

Basically the point I'm making is never, ever hesitate to run.

01011001 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 3, 2013

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

01011001 posted:

2) On your character sheet is a minimum depth which is based on your accumulated total experience.

It's actually based on time passed. It's lenient enough that you won't usually won't be forced downwards unless you're grinding 950' for items (morgoth is on 1000'). But it does mean that the game has an actual time limit.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

What's the best way to deal with rifle turrets? At 14 now and about to get to Grit Gate but I'm exploring the ruins on the outskirts and rifle turrets that are lurking behind trees are pretty scary and I don't want to run up and try to kill one with no knowledge of how.

Dec 26, 2012

EvilMike posted:

It's actually based on time passed. It's lenient enough that you won't usually won't be forced downwards unless you're grinding 950' for items (morgoth is on 1000'). But it does mean that the game has an actual time limit.

Oh, my mistake then.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Protocol 5 posted:

If cyberware becomes a bigger, more reliably available part of the game, that might change things.

The new dungeon we're working on is designed to be a reliable, if risky, alternate opening move for True Men to get some early cybernetics.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

playing a carapace esper and I've made it further then I ever have in coq!

just killed the phase spider, which was totally anticlimatic as it stood there in another phase while I chopped it up with lazers :v: Phasing into that room was a really awesome discovery though.

its been interesting trying to use proselytize as well, which I've never messed with. One of my longest lived companions was a lovely Jelly who would scout ahead & selflessly clear rooms of urchins.

rip (may the puddle of cyan goop immortalize his resting place)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Happylisk posted:

Anyone good with emulation know how to get this release working with an Amiga Emulator on Android?

It would be nice to have ADOM to go for once.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

_jink posted:

playing a carapace esper and I've made it further then I ever have in coq!

just killed the phase spider, which was totally anticlimatic as it stood there in another phase while I chopped it up with lazers :v: Phasing into that room was a really awesome discovery though.

its been interesting trying to use proselytize as well, which I've never messed with. One of my longest lived companions was a lovely Jelly who would scout ahead & selflessly clear rooms of urchins.

rip (may the puddle of cyan goop immortalize his resting place)

Proselytize works best with domination, which would allow you to take direct control of your companions to equip them and even give them new skills/mutations if they leveled up enough!

(I wish you could do this without dominating them though)

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Octo1 posted:

Proselytize works best with domination, which would allow you to take direct control of your companions to equip them and even give them new skills/mutations if they leveled up enough!

(I wish you could do this without dominating them though)

Is that a viable way to play? It sounds interesting, but also like a hefty chunk of micromanagement unless your minions get substantially stronger.

also yo Unormal (& Luke if youre still about) I really enjoy the writing in this game!

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I like rolling True Man guys with the background in tinkering with a free recipe. Last time I found an amazing back item really early on in the first northern area whose name I've forgotten which were two robot arms, essentially turning me into a four armed badass of utter destruction. I have no idea how rare the item is but man it was amazing.

Also high powered freeze grenades are the best item in nearly any dire situation. Being a tinkerer is just amazing and the game is fun as all hell. I hope Unormal starts back up on the development but good luck with your other project in the meantime!

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 4, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Every now and then my water merchants start with helping hands but I haven't really noticed them doing anything besides being a place to stick a glowsphere.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

How complete is CoQ? I see it's still a beta but how much is missing at the moment?

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

dis astranagant posted:

Every now and then my water merchants start with helping hands but I haven't really noticed them doing anything besides being a place to stick a glowsphere.

They should proc additional attacks too.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

_jink posted:

Is that a viable way to play? It sounds interesting, but also like a hefty chunk of micromanagement unless your minions get substantially stronger.

also yo Unormal (& Luke if youre still about) I really enjoy the writing in this game!

Thanks!

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't believe that was ever actually accurate.

Their starting stats and stat gain were nerfed at some point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

hand of luke posted:

They should proc additional attacks too.

Well, if it's anything like the rate on the multiple arms mutation it's no wonder I didn't notice.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Does CoQ have any particular dependencies? I'm going to try to get it running in wine.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

andrew smash posted:

Does CoQ have any particular dependencies? I'm going to try to get it running in wine.

You have to install .NET in wine first and make sure to run it with the '-console' flag. I couldn't get it to work without cd-ing into the game directory first but if I do that it runs fine in wine on Mac. I should note I've only played a very small amount so if there's something that breaks wine later on I wouldn't know.

See also http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/showthread.php?414-Running-under-Linux.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

dis astranagant posted:

Well, if it's anything like the rate on the multiple arms mutation it's no wonder I didn't notice.

You can also put shields on them so you can have double the protection while dual wielding to your hearts content. Or put on three shields and one weapon even!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I just took the plunge on Desktop Dungeons after playing the alpha years ago. It's really cool what they've done to it. Still the same basic mechanics but tied fun extras.

They're great mechanics too. It's obviously more puzzle than rouguelike, but it's a great puzzle. It reminds me most of learning how to do Sudoku, or Kakuro, but with loads of extra little challenges on-top. Itches that same brain bit.

I like how they've taken that growing city += more options thing that make all those rubbish f2p phone games so addictive, but instead of having to wait or pay for things to build, all I have to do is solve the crazy puzzle dungeons I enjoyed so much from the Alpha.

I'm still not very good at it, but I love all the little tricks. 'Mid-fight going off to one hit a lower level monster without any map-explore regen so I full heal and boss doesn't' is my favourite the one time I actually worked out the set-up enough to pull it off in a level.

For what seems like a simple maths puzzle, they've found a hell of a lot of depth.