Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So the more I rewatch the movie the more I like the Australians. The movie should have been about them.

"Yeah, power move!" While they beat down leatherback was awesome and I didn't catch it until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Email them to see if they can refund you or change it. I accidentally bought a wrong version of a PC game download and they just refunded me.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So the more I rewatch the movie the more I like the Australians. The movie should have been about them.

"Yeah, power move!" While they beat down leatherback was awesome and I didn't catch it until recently.

It's really odd that they cut the 'Catch you in the drift, dad' scene between the two of them. It's short but carries a lot of weight and gives Herc's later lines about talking and communicating before Chuck and Stacker leave on their final mission so much more weight. It so accurately captures the two characters and their conflicts (internal and external) and their attitudes to each other that it's one of my favourite scenes. Herc's switch from goading his son ('You're a great Ranger, is that what you wanna hear?') to begging ('Well, everyone knows that!') is great, as is Chuck's confusion to hot anger because his father is asking him questions that he can't answer.

But, yes, Chuck yelling at his dad to 'show them our power move' is great because you just know that's what the pair used to be like before they drifted apart. "Did you use your power move on that Kaiju, dad?"

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 3, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think they changed it back.

Ugh. They did. Fixed now.

In case someone changes it again:

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 3, 2013

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
This movie was so loving bad.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mean Bean Machine posted:

This movie was so loving bad.

In terms of movies whose pre-release internet hype was vastly out of proportion to the final film it's not as bad as The Expendables or Snakes on a Plane, at least. It's more of a Scott Pilgrim situation where you have a niche product given a ridiculously huge budget that is going to be divisive even among its target audience.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Ugh. They did. Fixed now.

In case someone changes it again:

PacRim avatar crew representing.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In terms of movies whose pre-release internet hype was vastly out of proportion to the final film it's not as bad as The Expendables or Snakes on a Plane, at least. It's more of a Scott Pilgrim situation where you have a niche product given a ridiculously huge budget that is going to be divisive even among its target audience.

I was personally super hyped for this movie, and kinda got let down hard.

EDIT: I'd like to say that this was my fault: I built up my own expectations for the movie.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 4, 2013

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I went into it nearly blind, never having seen a trailer and having no clue what it was about other than something involving giant robots.

Then I spent the whole time in the theater going :tviv: :tviv: :tviv:

Then I went back to see it four more times. :awesome:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I was personally super hyped for this movie, and kinda got let down hard.

I was marginally disappointed when I first saw it due to over hype, but I saw it a second time with my dad and felt much much better about it afterward.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I was disappointed by Pacific Rim, but only because it was by Del Toro. I knew goons were overhyping it, but it didn't really affect me because "OMG A ROBOT PUNCHED A THING" doesn't carry nearly the same weight as "the director of Pan's Labyrinth."

On the other hand I felt similarly about Hellboy 2 at the time and have since come to appreciate it much more, so maybe there's something I've overlooked here as well. That article someone posted earlier about visual storytelling was a good start.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm actually not a major fan of everything del Toro has done, so if anything I was pleasantly surprised.

It doesn't hurt that I had no loving clue Charlie Day was even in it until he showed up on screen, after which I spent every minute he was onscreen doing this in my head: :neckbeard:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah the Charlie Day parts were really the only thing keeping this movie afloat, the one nice surprise of the movie was that he had a lot more screentime than I thought he would.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah the Charlie Day parts were really the only thing keeping this movie afloat

Of course they were, the giant robots took it to the bottom of the loving ocean.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

I just noticed that one of the Jagers shown in the opening narration appears to be using a mace :black101:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's Romeo Blue, it's arms are super long and clubby.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was disappointed by Pacific Rim, but only because it was by Del Toro. I knew goons were overhyping it, but it didn't really affect me because "OMG A ROBOT PUNCHED A THING" doesn't carry nearly the same weight as "the director of Pan's Labyrinth."

On the other hand I felt similarly about Hellboy 2 at the time and have since come to appreciate it much more, so maybe there's something I've overlooked here as well. That article someone posted earlier about visual storytelling was a good start.

Between the Charlie Day scenes that served largely as an excuse to have tons of ornate physical props and sets and the fact that the big baddies are Elder Gods with the serial numbers filed off Pacific Rim was so Del Toro that it was practically self-parody. The only way it could have been more Del Toro is if it was about a child living during the Spanish Civil War.

precision posted:

I'm actually not a major fan of everything del Toro has done, so if anything I was pleasantly surprised.

It doesn't hurt that I had no loving clue Charlie Day was even in it until he showed up on screen, after which I spent every minute he was onscreen doing this in my head: :neckbeard:

The fact that he got more screen time than most of the Jaeger pilots totally made up for what a non-entity he was in Monsters University. He was my favorite thing about the movie that wasn't a special effect.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I've watched this movie probably 20 times, but I've noticed that each time I watch it, some small pieces of dialog bother me more and more.

What's with the "no alloys" deal? Is this some symbolism that I'm missing? There are many alloys that are stronger and much lighter than solid iron. So when I hear that, I just think Travis Beachum is dumb and didn't bother looking these things up. Also, when Newt says that Kaiju have secondary brains like dinosaurs, are we do infer that this is set in an alternate universe in which dinosaurs do have a secondary brain or just that Beachum is dumb?

I wish sci fi movies had science advisors to make more plausible explanations for poo poo.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Carl Seitan posted:

I've watched this movie probably 20 times

What is wrong with you?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

What is wrong with you?

I'm pretty sure that quite a few of us would like a word with you... :unsmigghh:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What is wrong with you?

What's wrong with him? You're the one lurking the thread of a movie you hated.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every single time science-sounding jargon is used in this movie, it's exactly the opposite of how that science would work in real life. Rather than being a series of coincidental oversights, that suggests to me it was a deliberate affectation contributing to the tone, underscoring just how little it matters that everything in this movie is impossible.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

joneswt posted:

I just noticed that one of the Jagers shown in the opening narration appears to be using a mace :black101:

Its actually a highway, which is probably more :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyojUV29xuQ&t=82s

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The only way it could have been more Del Toro is if it was about a child living during the Spanish Civil War.

Now there's an idea. Pan's Labyrinth but less ruthlessly depressing and with 100% more giant dieselpunk/magic communist robots punching out Lovecraftian abominations (provided courtesy of :catholic: and/or :godwinning:, of course).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Between the Charlie Day scenes that served largely as an excuse to have tons of ornate physical props and sets and the fact that the big baddies are Elder Gods with the serial numbers filed off Pacific Rim was so Del Toro that it was practically self-parody.

That's... kind of the problem? It's like someone aping the big, dramatic aspects of his work without the substance that holds them together. The Charlie Day subplot is probably my favorite part of the movie in that Newt (with Gottlieb as a foil) goes through more character development than most of the cast, and even then it's just serviceable writing elevated by what the actors bring to it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 5, 2013

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

Every single time science-sounding jargon is used in this movie, it's exactly the opposite of how that science would work in real life. Rather than being a series of coincidental oversights, that suggests to me it was a deliberate affectation contributing to the tone, underscoring just how little it matters that everything in this movie is impossible.

That's sort of what I was thinking, in quotes like that it's not the actual line that matters, it's the delivery and intent. Solid iron hull? That's bizarre and structurally useless, but the confidence and enthusiasm behind it carries you along and creates the impression of something cool. Diesel motors in the muscles, what the hell? That sounds hella strong, that must be an awesome good design. Analog nuclear reactor? That comes with relief and determination, go with that!

It's like a verbal version of the props constantly changing scale or the amount of physical damage never adding up. Dreamlike logic rolling on, not giving you a chance to pause, only existing to service the continual barrage of cool robots and explosions.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Was I the only one who wasn't disappointed at all, but actually surprised by how incredible it was? I expected a campy fun monster Vs Robot smackdown with bright, fun characters, and hopefully very little edge or gritty nihilism/cynicism. And I totally got that. Man of Steel actually broke me. I felt really, really frustrated with that movie. More then any I've been with a movie in a while. It was so dark, and dour that I felt just exhausted when I left. Plus the noise/music gave me a headache.

But Pacific Rim redeemed the summer for me. It has everything I'd like to see in a summer blockbuster. I don't want to say "What did you expect!?" because I don't know what you expected because I avoided almost every trailer like the plague. Wanted to go in fresh! And it worked. Wew!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched every Pacific Rim trailer and I also loved the movie.

I also love Man of Steel though so maybe i'm nuts.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I thought this movie was going to be right down my alley. It wasn't. It was like Nickelodeon present's Top Gun vs. Godzilla '98 and I'd already seen all the good parts in the trailer or could hang around for the GIF's - I hated all the human characters, I hated their silly emotional baggage and their boring problems & was expecting something a bit more out there, a bit smarter & darker. The dialogue is the absolute worst.

I'm off to find ROBO WARRIORS, Robot Jox and Real Steel to try and get my Robo-fix.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Carl Seitan posted:

Also, when Newt says that Kaiju have secondary brains like dinosaurs, are we do infer that this is set in an alternate universe in which dinosaurs do have a secondary brain or just that Beachum is dumb?

I wish sci fi movies had science advisors to make more plausible explanations for poo poo.

Newt is dumb when it comes to non-Kaiju biology and doesn't understand dinosaurs beyond disproven pop culture.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

In Prometheus, characters get things wrong because they're human. A person uses the phrase 'half a billion miles' metaphorically, in casual speech, to convey an impressive-sounding distance. Even though she's way off, the point is that space is so incomprehensibly vast that technical accuracy is unimportant. A trillion or a quadrillion miles - what difference does it make if you're not a navigational computer?

The opposite thing is happening in Pacific Rim. Instead of the characters using metaphor to make sense of the universe, the universe of Pacific Rim is, itself, total bullshit.

Phrases like 'no alloys' and 'analog' are employed for their obvious metaphorical connotations: purity, solidity, simplicity, tradition, etc. But it's not characters using poetic license here; the scientists and technicians are claiming that, objectively, purity makes metal stronger. And the film invents a universe where they're right.

Now, keep in mind that that the film uses the Jagers as a metaphor for corporatism. Literally, they're giant organic bodies. These bullshit phrases are directly associated with this body: they refer to Gipsy Danger's pure skin, and the contents of her heart....

How can you not read it as a Starship Troopers situation - like the scene where they blame the bugs for the asteroid strike? It's bullshit.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Man, I figured the whole ":techno: all iron no alloys diesel motor muscle strands :techno:" stuff was just to imply that they were using common, readily-available parts & materials to make the Jaegers' frequent repairs & constant maintenance faster and easier. Gipsy got a foot-long hull crack? No problem, weld that poo poo shut and she'll be back on the beach in an hour.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What the hell, I'll bite.

I can read it that way (though, admittedly, I can remember not possessing that ability). Your interpretation of Pacific Rim as sarcastically fascist is not contradicted by the text.

Therefore...?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In Prometheus, characters get things wrong because they're human. A person uses the phrase 'half a billion miles' metaphorically, in casual speech, to convey an impressive-sounding distance. Even though she's way off, the point is that space is so incomprehensibly vast that technical accuracy is unimportant. A trillion or a quadrillion miles - what difference does it make if you're not a navigational computer?

The opposite thing is happening in Pacific Rim. Instead of the characters using metaphor to make sense of the universe, the universe of Pacific Rim is, itself, total bullshit.

Phrases like 'no alloys' and 'analog' are employed for their obvious metaphorical connotations: purity, solidity, simplicity, tradition, etc. But it's not characters using poetic license here; the scientists and technicians are claiming that, objectively, purity makes metal stronger. And the film invents a universe where they're right.

Now, keep in mind that that the film uses the Jagers as a metaphor for corporatism. Literally, they're giant organic bodies. These bullshit phrases are directly associated with this body: they refer to Gipsy Danger's pure skin, and the contents of her heart....

How can you not read it as a Starship Troopers situation - like the scene where they blame the bugs for the asteroid strike? It's bullshit.

The Jaegers are not organic bodies, they're robots. Did you even see the trailers?

The Kaiju are, though.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mu Zeta posted:

I watched every Pacific Rim trailer and I also loved the movie.

I also love Man of Steel though so maybe i'm nuts.

I wasa little disappointed by Pacific Rim. del Toro's storytelling is always simple, but I've never seen it this dumb before. It's kinda strange, but I still really like the idea of this movie, the one you can piece together through the trailers (which tied Man of Steel's for how many times I watched them), much more than the actual film.

And there's nothing crazy about loving the latest Superman, it was easily the best movie of the summer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I saw this in 3D on release at a massive as gently caress screen and it looked OK and sounded alright too. I watched it last night with my housemate on our home setup and gently caress me if that cinema screen was total loving shite. There's an unreal amount of love gone into every single scene on this, an obscene amount of work gone into the details in every frame... Cinema really didn't do this poo poo justice at all despite the screen being as big as a loving house, the detail was lost and the black levels and contrast were woeful. It looked and sounded so much better at home. <3

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 6, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Now, keep in mind that that the film uses the Jagers as a metaphor for corporatism. Literally, they're giant organic bodies.

There is absolutely no competition between the Jaegers, so although I appreciate what you're trying to do here there's no way this works. There is no virtual marketplace where the Jargers compete for mindshare/resources/whatever. Not seeing it.

Black Bones posted:

I wasa little disappointed by Pacific Rim. del Toro's storytelling is always simple, but I've never seen it this dumb before.

Although deliberately simple and archetypal, the movie is not dumb, there is quite a lot going on in it that you probably didn't notice. Watch the commentary or any of the extras.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Pretty sure the straight up text of the movie says Jaeger pilots were basically rock stars, complete with clips of goofy game shows featuring pilots and people in Kaiju costumes, so even in-universe the Jaegers were competitors (until they started losing).

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:pervert: I would like to know more.

• Locked thread