Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Absolutely not required. If you want PhysX you will be fine with the 770.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Paradox Personified posted:

So, confirm/deny; "physx really requires a second card to look nice"?
Someone told me this and I almost threw my keyboard across the room. My build has gone through so many choices.... 7970 Ghz editio-no, the Toxic version of the R9 280x wait no should I try physx? So it has to be the 770 becau-no wait it has to be more than one card, so what the gently caress am I doing?
Someone shoot me. Just tie me to a chair, pick a card, and then shoot me. In that order.

To simplify, PhysX is a physics API that can either run (non-proprietary) entirely on the CPU with less advanced stuff, or run (only on nVidia cards) with GPU acceleration. In the latter role, it's a lightweight CUDA workload.

In practice, accelerated PhysX on the same card that is rendering, even in SLI situations, can be such a weird mix-up of roles that it can impact framerates negatively compared to using the off card solely as a PhysX co-processor. The most advanced PhysX games around right now still only bring a 650Ti (which is my personal PhysX card) up to about 21% GPU usage, but there's something in the way that role-juggling - that is, the shifting between shader operations as SM/SMX units vs. acting as CUDA cores and all the timing/coherency stuff involved for GPU-accelerated PhysX - that just bogs it all down.

Accelerated PhysX can be offloaded to a headless coprocessor which never has to switch roles at all and can devote its entire operation strictly to the task of CUDA physics calculations. With that happening, there's no juggling on the rendering card and so it's generally a better experience. This was true as of the GTX 680, but it's possible that the GTX 780 and above just have a shitload of CUDA cores to spare and might perform better - certainly one would hope that the Titan would do a good job given its GPGPU aims - but I have still found that in practice I can enjoy a really full PhysX experience in the games that support it by offloading the work to my 650Ti, whereas if I try to run the same stuff on the GTX 780 alone, framerate takes a pretty big hit, especially minimum framerates (seems like there's a bottleneck somewhere there, I'd conjecture involving the timing of the physics lining up with the rendering operations).

If you're using AMD hardware, I don't think there are any currently working hacks to get PhysX available to AMD cards. There are other more generalist GPGPU physics solutions like Bullet Physics, and there are plenty of physics APIs that are CPU only and look great (hell, PhysX's CPU-only version looks great). I don't think PhysX has a lot of staying power. In fact I hope it doesn't. Among the many limitations of a proprietary physics getup, you can't do both SLI and PhysX at the same time, and given AMD's recent advances in using PCI-e 2.0 8x+ bandwidth alone rather than requiring a bridge for dual GPU rendering, and coming UHD display resolutions, I think it's better to put the coprocessor to rest entirely.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Kaddish posted:

Whelp. I broke and bought a 780 today. I've been thinking about getting something with more than 2GB anyway and the price difference between a 770 4GB didn't seem worth it. Anyone want a just fine for everyone who isn't crazy 660 ti?

Does your board have more than 1 or 2 PCI-E slots, and do you have a PSU that can handle a second card? Toss that 660Ti in and dedicate tp PhysX processing, see if it helps with some games. Lots of folks here have been doing that, but if not, you can probably get some decent scratch for it selling on SA Mart or something.

Tgent posted:

I've had a look around and it seems that's likely. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way to stop it apart from stopping windows from getting any new hardware drivers at all.

Set Windows Update to download the drivers, but to NOT install them right away. I've done that for a while now because of some driver issues, and other updates I didn't want or need auto-installing without my choosing. I keep it that way so I get a notice of the updates, but can still choose what to install versus having everything install automatically and bork something up.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Thanks for taking time on me. At the very least, it's nice to have someone watch me flail like a chicken with its head cut off.

Agreed posted:

To simplify but not really :smith:
I need to stop posting right after I wake up, but you know you're talking to an idiot that hasn't built a PC in a decade right? Uhm... you're... telling me 7970 GHz then, right? Forget Physx at this point- just seems a novelty. I'll just say I had a momentary fascination. It's not a requirement.
Right.
Going with that in my build. :haw:

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 3, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Paradox Personified posted:

Thanks for taking time on me. At the very least, it's nice to have someone watch me flail like a chicken with its head cut off.

I need to stop posting right after I wake up, but you know you're talking to an idiot that hasn't built a PC in a decade right? Uhm... you're... telling me 7970 GHz then, right? Forget Physx at this point- just seems a novelty. I'll just say I had a momentary fascination. It's not a requirement.
Right.
Going with that in my build. :haw:

You can't use hardware PhysX (the fancy PhysX that's in like 30 games, total) without an nVidia card. nVidia is the company that makes the Geforce GTX cards. AMD is the other company, they make the Radeon HD and, recently, the R9 290x and related cards.

If you want PhysX for some reason, you need an nVidia card. If you want really fancy PhysX at very high framerates, you may need a PhysX card on its own, too. But if you don't care about that poo poo, then you don't have to worry about getting an nVidia card for any other reason than price:performance. And right now, AMD and nVidia are both slugging it out with regards to price:performance.

If GPU-accelerated PhysX is not a concern, then your only concerns become what card to get that'll perform well at the resolution you're playing at. I'm guessing you don't know or care about TrueAudio or Mantle or Shadowplay or any of the other various proprietary technologies, either, so just get a good fast card for the resolution you want.

That advice can be obtained in the parts picking thread. Have fun!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ozz81 posted:

Set Windows Update to download the drivers, but to NOT install them right away. I've done that for a while now because of some driver issues, and other updates I didn't want or need auto-installing without my choosing. I keep it that way so I get a notice of the updates, but can still choose what to install versus having everything install automatically and bork something up.

You don't get that option on any version of Windows that's still worth installing. That screencap's from Windows 8.1, and there's an extra auto-install for new devices only option back in Windows 7 - which is still not great.

I'd go one further and say that when you're doing a fresh install of Windows you should turn it off entirely before it ever sees the Internet. If it's really such a big deal it'll show up in Windows Update - and given nVidia's issues with Fermi and intel's old (by old I mean 4500MHD days; hopefully it's gone now) habit of making their WU integrated drivers incapable of being updated by their Download Center integrated drivers at a later date, I'd hide driver updates even there. If you see one, go to the driver's actual source (nVidia or Intel, not eVGA or Dell or whatever unless specified by name) for the update, if there's not a massive rash of problems reported with your device on the new driver.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 3, 2013

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You don't get that option on any version of Windows that's still worth installing. That screencap's from Windows 8.1, and there's an extra auto-install for new devices only option back in Windows 7 - which is still not great.

I'd go one further and say that when you're doing a fresh install of Windows you should turn it off entirely before it ever sees the Internet. If it's really such a big deal it'll show up in Windows Update - and given nVidia's issues with Fermi and intel's old (by old I mean 4500MHD days; hopefully it's gone now) habit of making their WU integrated drivers incapable of being updated by their Download Center integrated drivers at a later date, I'd hide driver updates even there. If you see one, go to the driver's actual source (nVidia or Intel, not eVGA or Dell or whatever unless specified by name) for the update, if there's not a massive rash of problems reported with your device on the new driver.

I'll just turn it off entirely then. Thanks!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://www.techpowerup.com/193710/geforce-gtx-780-ti-specifications-leaked.html

Ok, a more reputable source showcases the 780 Ti specs.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ruin Completely posted:

My 7850 can hit 1.2ghz with no problem, but when I tried to OC the memory poo poo crashed, I hope that doesn't prevent any worthwhile performance gains.

It shouldn't be too bandwidth bound, you can try running some benchmark at 1100/1150/1175/1200 and see if the scalling falls off too much for your liking.

Not sure why the hype about TXAA was a thing, from the screenshots it had the blurred out look of FXAA with a performance hit worse than MSAA. It might have worked better in motion, but I guess I don't hate jaggies enough to put up with vaseline-o-vision

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Michymech posted:

So for any of the R9-290x owners out there, have any of you experienced coil whine when your card gets loaded up? The high fan noise I can live with but this high pitched buzzing noise is starting to get on my nerves

...guess that's what I get for buying a gigabyte card

No coilwhine on mine that I can hear. But the fan is pissing me right the gently caress off. My waterblock can't come in soon enough.

After thinking about it, I think I'm actually going to put my 7970 back in until my water block comes in. The noise I can deal with, but even if it is designed with a 95C threshhold I still don't like it getting that hot.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 4, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How bad does the fan actually get? I've read reviews but I'm curious as to actual goons...

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Tab8715 posted:

How bad does the fan actually get? I've read reviews but I'm curious as to actual goons...

In case you haven't seen these videos:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290x-hawaii-review,3650-30.html

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Guni posted:

I don't think I've ever experienced screen tearing, thank gently caress. All this talk of new GPU's is making me wanna upgrade though. I've noticed that 7990's are like $700, are they a decent product [in terms of overall quality/usability etc], which brings me to another point, is AMD still having the crossfire issues?

For another question, what's the blower cooler like on the 770/780/titan's like if I were to look at a SLI setup?
I'm a little late but I just got a 7990 and I loving love it, with the caveat that I paid $500 (new) for it. They've gotten down to $600 with rebates the past couple months so $700 is crazy. There's no single card that can touch it at all, and any other $500 (or $650) card is a joke compared to a 7990 but obviously it's still multiple GPUs... I just went with it because I don't plan on running at more than 1440p single monitor for a while. Crossfire is much much better with the recent frame pacing fix, it should be working on multiple monitors sometime soonish too. It's nice only having to free up 3 slots instead of ~5, which is most of the reason I went with this... if you can afford the space you're just as well off with a pair of 7970s now that they're ~$250 each, or even a pair of 280Xes would give pretty great price:performance at ~$300 each (another reason I don't see any reason to be excited about the 290X unless you really want to spend $3000 on a computer or you're just appreciating that it forced nvidia price cuts).

Note that if you're totally crazy and weren't going to be satisfied with just two GPUs, it is pretty much impossible to crossfire two 7990s - the top left of four GPUs will reach unacceptable temperatures in any config and is nearly impossible to get running stable unless you rig up a side fan with a duct or something. I haven't tried it, just came across some stuff in my research, so that's one reason to consider SLI 780s or 290Xes or something, especially since you could potentially use three of them :v:

Straker fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 4, 2013

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tab8715 posted:

Someone made a video of the card spinning up to max set to a jet airliner taking off the runway, and the fan noise still seemed too loud to match up properly.

e: Here's a video of it running at 100% for a few seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhqOKKAq7o

VDay fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 4, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

VDay posted:

Someone made a video of the card spinning up to max set to a jet airliner taking off the runway, and the fan noise still seemed too loud to match up properly.

e: Here's a video of it running at 100% for a few seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhqOKKAq7o

But the question - does it ever hit 100% in games? Has anyone bothered to redo the thermal paste?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

But the question - does it ever hit 100% in games? Has anyone bothered to redo the thermal paste?

The fans are capped at 55% on Uber. [H]ardOCP found 100% fans don't really allow enough leeway to squeeze out more performance (even though they still recommend it).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I played for exactly 1 game yesterday with the fan uncapped. After that it got back to the 55% auto setting. With my house only being around 70F the card starts throttling itself around 800mhz if it is only allowed to spin up to 55%. When it was allowed to spin to 100% it ran full 1000mhz but would sit at 80% fan and run up to 100% during more intense battles. That being said, 80% is loud as poo poo, 100% is purely unacceptable. But then again I've been spoiled with the silence of watercooling for about 5 years at this point.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Cautiously optimistic about the 780 Ti performance in these leaked benchmarks, my 670 Ti is not cutting it for 1600p gaming.

http://wccftech.com/gtx-780-ti-benchmarks-leaked-blows-r9-290x-water/

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Is buying a PCI-E 6 pin to 8 pin adapter literally the stupidest thing I could do? I have a Corsair 520 PSU that has one 8 pin (6+2) and one 6 pin connector but I'm looking at one of the Sapphire Vapor x R9 280s and these appear to require two 8 pin connectors amd I'm not keen on replacing the PSU just for that.

On the other hand I'm not keen on it blowing up either.

Edit: Hmm, seems it actually needs a 6pin and an 8 pin for non-crossfire and it comes with a two 6 pin to 8 pin converter. Also, the PSU actually only has two 6 pin connectors so I either need to use a 6 pin to 8 pin converter or a two molex to 8 pin. gently caress, this is what I get for keeping the same PSU for 6 years!

Edit 2: Nevermind, opened the case to check and it does actually have 2x6+2 connectors already. Sapphire's website quotes a 750W PSU as being needed :wtf: Is that just a hedge against someone trying to put a card in with a no-name 500W PSU and burning their house down?

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 5, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

I played for exactly 1 game yesterday with the fan uncapped. After that it got back to the 55% auto setting. With my house only being around 70F the card starts throttling itself around 800mhz if it is only allowed to spin up to 55%. When it was allowed to spin to 100% it ran full 1000mhz but would sit at 80% fan and run up to 100% during more intense battles. That being said, 80% is loud as poo poo, 100% is purely unacceptable. But then again I've been spoiled with the silence of watercooling for about 5 years at this point.

Nah. You're not spoiled. The reference cooler is just plain unacceptable. Tell us what you can do with it once you get the waterblock though.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

No coilwhine on mine that I can hear. But the fan is pissing me right the gently caress off. My waterblock can't come in soon enough.

After thinking about it, I think I'm actually going to put my 7970 back in until my water block comes in. The noise I can deal with, but even if it is designed with a 95C threshhold I still don't like it getting that hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Vi8gPsCbk
Thats the noise that I get and I got the OK to have my card sent back to be checked out and get a refund as its just really annoying to hear, the fan noise isn't a problem because a water block will be going on it but the coil whine will just be worse with out the fan there

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Edit 2: Nevermind, opened the case to check and it does actually have 2x6+2 connectors already. Sapphire's website quotes a 750W PSU as being needed :wtf: Is that just a hedge against someone trying to put a card in with a no-name 500W PSU and burning their house down?
Yes, also power supplies tend to get louder, less efficient, and deliver lower quality power at higher load levels. Encouraging people not to heavily load their power supplies is good practice, people who know what their power supplies are capable of will just do their own thing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, I just bought an Open Box GTX 770 from Microcenter to try out, when I install it the fans spin but no signal to the monitor. I can still plug the HDMI straight into the motherboard to see, and trying to install new Nvidia drivers says that no graphics cards are found. Do you think I actually bought a brick, or am I screwing something up? I have it wired in exactly the same as the 660ti I just yanked out.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Had that same issue with a Gigabyte GTX570. It was as if the card didn't exist, it wasn't even in the BIOS PCI-E config as there. A couple restarts and it eventually triggered the windows driver installer, and after having that run it sorted itself. It was definitely strange.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

I have a Dell T7600 with PCI slots above and below the CPUs. When I try to jam dual GPUs on one side I have heat problems as the cards are adjacent and if I put them on either side of the CPUs the SLI bridge connectors are ~11.5" apart. I have looked all over for custom length SLI bridge connectors and the people that I can find that used to make them seem to have disappeared.

Anyone have a source for very long ~12" or custom length SLI bridge connectors?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

that is silly, you won't need a 750W PSU unless it's like the cheapest $30 noname crap.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Straker posted:

that is silly, you won't need a 750W PSU unless it's like the cheapest $30 noname crap.

Exactly. It's bad PR to have someone rant about your crappy card blowing out a PSU and wrecking a system. The nerds know it's not your fault, but the nerds aren't the ones who might believe the rant.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
R9 290 is out. Still reading reviews but here are the important bits: 780 performance for $400. Gat drat.

Only caveat is definitely wait for the custom coolers.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Some real breaking news there.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

VDay posted:

Some real breaking news there.

Uhh, I guess I'm two hours late but I'm the first person to post it in this thread...

Unless you think I'm talking about 290x in which case you're the scrub rear end bitch and not me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yup, it's late and my brain not good work now ok. My bad.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Nvidia: "I guess people want to pay less money for stuff? The gently caress were we supposed to know that?"

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Pretty, uh, hot card. A loud and hot card. But with a custom cooler on it, it's actually an awesome card. Here's a test with an Accelero Xtreme III: (290 "Uber" is them setting fan speed to 55%)

(Lautstärke being noise level if the db(A) didn't tip you off.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Magic Underwear posted:

R9 290 is out. Still reading reviews but here are the important bits: 780 performance for $400. Gat drat.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7481/the-amd-radeon-r9-290-review

Radeon R9 290.

Well, holy poo poo. It makes the 290X look like Titan, and the 290 look like an overclocked 780. That is to say, cheaper for not appreciably less performance. With a custom cooler, 290 is probably the best price/performance card of all time.

norg
Jul 5, 2006
What are the differences between the 280X, 7970, and 7970GHz? Is it just clock speed?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

norg posted:

What are the differences between the 280X, 7970, and 7970GHz? Is it just clock speed?

Yes. 280X also has the option to run 3 monitors from DVI/HDMI, which the 7970 doesn't, I believe.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The R290 seems to be the card that makes the most sense at the $399+ assuming the non-reference models come out before December. With the OC that Anandtech managed, it puts some real daylight between itself and a Titan in a lot of tests. At ~$450 for custom card, it will likely make the upcoming 780Ti rather unattractive for gaming with its 699 price tag.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 5, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If the biggest criticism of the 290/x series is that they are hot, loud and obnoxious SOB's then they've done pretty darn well.

I'm extremely curious what kind of show the 780 Ti puts up now.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Magic Underwear posted:

cmon nVidia u no u wanna suk amd's dik just bring that 780 down to 450 and ull be a cool kid again

In the long and short term of this market segment I wonder how much of this price war really matters. Not sure if my perspective is skewed but 400 is still a little on the high end in terms of what people (at least do-it-yourselfers) consider for gaming PCs. How many 800 or 1000 USD builds are there out there compared to, say, $1500 or $2000 builds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If I can find em, Daddy's gonna have two 290s for crossfire action tonight ;) I'm VERY impressed with the numbers of the 290 vs the 290x. Should be a nice upgrade to my GTX680.