Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Just a quick note for you guys and the people who will undoubtedly ask/complain to you.

While Delta has approval to use electronic devices on aircraft, NONE of their regional partners do. So a mainline flight will allow their use, it is still prohibited on regional airplanes... for the time being.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Hey approach controllers, 5 miles and increasing doesnt mean "give normal speed as soon as you hit 5.1". I shouldnt have to work your sector and mine. If you're going to get me 45 days off, wait a week before you do it so I can have Christmas off.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I am ready to murder the assholes who fly in the Ottawa Practice Area. Dear Floatplane, if you say you are going to take off a lake in the Practice Area, when I respond with "I'm over Luxville, at 3000 feet. I'll stay on this side of the river until you take off" (with my call sign of course) it's rude to not respond, even when we call you a couple more times asking if you read.

Furthermore, Dear Twin Engine plane. If you are flying literally 1000 feet under us, next time, could you please call on the practice area frequency before you fly in to it, or at least when you see us, so that I don't need to cancel my immediate descent when I spot you flying directly under me. (I did a HASEL check before I started my descent even. No clue where the gently caress he came from!)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

kmcormick9 posted:

Hey approach controllers, 5 miles and increasing doesnt mean "give normal speed as soon as you hit 5.1". I shouldnt have to work your sector and mine. If you're going to get me 45 days off, wait a week before you do it so I can have Christmas off.

Center pukes :jerkbag:

But really, out relationship with the center sectors over us is pretty good. When I worked at Waco we always worked well with DFW's Regional Approach sectors also. We'd scan the departure corridors for slow climbing traffic and take the initiative to approve point outs if it started looking like they might have not noticed. They were, of course, WAY busier than us, so we felt it was the least we could do. I think they appreciated it.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 5, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

90% eval tomorrow, 100% on Friday.

Soon, we shall know what I am made of. :black101:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Good luck. I'm sure you'll do well.

Very Very anecdotal update on the BNA crash thing. A little birdie told me that the radar/audio has been reviewed and the accident aircraft wasn't squawking and never transmitted to ATC.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

Very Very anecdotal update on the BNA crash thing. A little birdie told me that the radar/audio has been reviewed and the accident aircraft wasn't squawking and never transmitted to ATC.

That's what I thought. And it happens disturbingly often in GA accidents, pilots getting into weather and not even talking to ATC for help. Either because of fear of ATC (trust me, this is A Thing), ignorance of procedures, not having the frequencies or setting them wrong, what have you. It's always tragic. As a CFI I always told my students that if they ever get lost, or into weather around terrain, to do two things: climb, and call ATC for help on directions, even if you have to do it on 121.5.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah I think his desire to remain incognito trumped his sense of self preservation. I'm thinking he was fleeing criminal charges in Canada and viewed getting "seen" as an unacceptable risk. A risk above flying into IMC while not instrument rated, apparently.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am ready to murder the assholes who fly in the Ottawa Practice Area. Dear Floatplane, if you say you are going to take off a lake in the Practice Area, when I respond with "I'm over Luxville, at 3000 feet. I'll stay on this side of the river until you take off" (with my call sign of course) it's rude to not respond, even when we call you a couple more times asking if you read.

Not sure I would have done anything different than the floatplane in their position. He announced his intentions, you announced yours, and they didn't conflict. I would have responded to your asking if I read if I was plough taxiing, but if I was on the step (taxiing or takeoff) the priority of responding to you would be basically nil, especially if the lake was at all busy with other watercraft.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

AWSEFT posted:

Just a quick note for you guys and the people who will undoubtedly ask/complain to you.

While Delta has approval to use electronic devices on aircraft, NONE of their regional partners do. So a mainline flight will allow their use, it is still prohibited on regional airplanes... for the time being.

Thanks

AE will begin allowing the use of PED's at 1700 tonight. So if it's 16:59 and you're in an airplane, turn your drat phone off.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I assume everyone heard about the 2 skydiving planes that touched and everyone got out and lived? There are some really good pictures of the incident:

:drat:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I assume everyone heard about the 2 skydiving planes that touched and everyone got out and lived? There are some really good pictures of the incident:

*pictures*

Comon gopro video. Comoncomoncomoncomon.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

MrYenko posted:

Comon gopro video. Comoncomoncomoncomon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4zwDCnjekM

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Passed my 90. Comon 100%.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Furthermore, Dear Twin Engine plane. If you are flying literally 1000 feet under us, next time, could you please call on the practice area frequency before you fly in to it, or at least when you see us, so that I don't need to cancel my immediate descent when I spot you flying directly under me. (I did a HASEL check before I started my descent even. No clue where the gently caress he came from!)

Welcome to the Ottawa Practice Area, where the rules are made up and the frequencies don't matter. I remember getting worked up when we had a close call in the practice area early in my flight training. Some idiot was transiting the area and not on frequency at all. Here's the thing - they don't have to be. It's a drat good idea, but people tend to be stupid sometimes. Keep you head on a swivel and over time you'll develop great situational awareness. Also you'll learn that god damned float plane off Constance Lake doesn't give a drat about you or anyone else for that matter.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Desi posted:

Welcome to the Ottawa Practice Area, where the rules are made up and the frequencies don't matter. I remember getting worked up when we had a close call in the practice area early in my flight training. Some idiot was transiting the area and not on frequency at all. Here's the thing - they don't have to be. It's a drat good idea, but people tend to be stupid sometimes. Keep you head on a swivel and over time you'll develop great situational awareness. Also you'll learn that god damned float plane off Constance Lake doesn't give a drat about you or anyone else for that matter.

Got it. At least I start circuits next week, and will be out fo the practice area for the while.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

Anyone eles here the bond theme when watching this?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Anyone eles here the bond theme when watching this?

All I can hear is "ohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuckfireohfuckgettgefuckout"

Those pictures and the associated video makes me twitch.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Waiting for my friend to pick me up so we can go skydiving today, actually. It'll be my first time. My wife is pissed, but she'll feel better once(if) I land safely and make it home alive.

EDIT: Ha, they bailed (pun). Oh well, maybe some other time.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 5, 2013

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
It's pretty mega-fun, I went with my sister near Miami and we could see the coasts, everglades...you just can't beat the view. Try not to get scared off by all the liability forms. :)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

All I can hear is "ohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuckfireohfuckgettgefuckout"

Those pictures and the associated video makes me twitch.

It just doesn't seem real, like footage like that can only be from a movie.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

That skydiving story and accompanying photos and videos are amazing.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

That the one plane managed to land safely should be in every ad brochure that manufacturer publishes.

Any ideas on what happened? It looked like when the jumpers climbed onto the strut the pilot didn't correct for the change in weight distribution and the wing dipped to the right.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Pilot appeared to have been distracted by jump ops, leading to a roll and slight dive crossing down to the right into that natural blindspot below and to the right of the aircraft. Demonstrating poor operational awareness

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Did I hear on the radio today that there's a push for better stall training in the wake of Colgan 3407? Because, you know...that would've made more sense as an initial response than dipshits like Chuck Schumer saying "LET'S MAKE EVERYBODY HAVE 1,500 HOURS AND IT'LL ALL BE BETTER". :downsbravo:

And that footage. The one Cessna spinning straight downward literally looks like a CGI animation from a movie, and I keep having to tell myself "No, that's an airplane". :suspense:

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Pilot appeared to have been distracted by jump ops, leading to a roll and slight dive crossing down to the right into that natural blindspot below and to the right of the aircraft. Demonstrating poor operational awareness

I don't know whether I'd have any inklings of "Now that I know we all made it, I'm killing the gently caress out of you anyway" or if by that point I'd just be thrilled to be alive.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Desi posted:

Some idiot was transiting the area and not on frequency at all. Here's the thing - they don't have to be. It's a drat good idea, but people tend to be stupid sometimes.

The practice area doesn't show up on the VNC's so how would someone from out of town know what frequency to be on?

If you are not headed to the big airport you head right through the practice area on the way to Rocliffe or Gatineau.

Wait till you guys go to your first fly-in at an uncontrolled airport.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

helno posted:

The practice area doesn't show up on the VNC's so how would someone from out of town know what frequency to be on?

If you are not headed to the big airport you head right through the practice area on the way to Rocliffe or Gatineau.

Oh joy. Well then, this sounds lovely.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just remember, see and be seen.

I lost a friend north of Toronto to a midair with someone transiting the corridor to the practice area, and its likely the other pilot had no clue that the airspace was anything special.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Did I hear on the radio today that there's a push for better stall training in the wake of Colgan 3407? Because, you know...that would've made more sense as an initial response than dipshits like Chuck Schumer saying "LET'S MAKE EVERYBODY HAVE 1,500 HOURS AND IT'LL ALL BE BETTER". :downsbravo:

And that footage. The one Cessna spinning straight downward literally looks like a CGI animation from a movie, and I keep having to tell myself "No, that's an airplane". :suspense:

I don't know whether I'd have any inklings of "Now that I know we all made it, I'm killing the gently caress out of you anyway" or if by that point I'd just be thrilled to be alive.

Am I a bad person if I chuckled at the guy that was clinging to the strut like his life dependent and then realizes he's wearing a parachute and bails?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

SCOTLAND posted:

Just remember, see and be seen.

I lost a friend north of Toronto to a midair with someone transiting the corridor to the practice area, and its likely the other pilot had no clue that the airspace was anything special.

Just remember that when y'all dilly dally through MOAs!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

bunnyofdoom posted:

As SCOTLAND and others have said, its see and be seen out there; if anything, its more important to keep your head outside in any kind of practice area, whether its Class F airspace or otherwise because of the nature and density of the traffic. Just because you're making all your calls doesn't absolve you of any responsibility for traffic separation.

And yeah, get used to guys with their noses buried in their maps/iPads barreling merrily along, not talking to anyone.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

helno posted:

Hence why I mentioned they didn't have to be on frequency - the practice area is only marked on VTAs and even then is considered a common advisory frequency only, it's uncontrolled in every sense of the term. That being said, the idea of a major fly-in at an uncontrolled field sketches me right out, having trained within the bubble of CYOW.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Desi posted:

Hence why I mentioned they didn't have to be on frequency - the practice area is only marked on VTAs and even then is considered a common advisory frequency only, it's uncontrolled in every sense of the term. That being said, the idea of a major fly-in at an uncontrolled field sketches me right out, having trained within the bubble of CYOW.

I'm more sketched out by how they land 3 planes at a time in segments of runway at Oshkosh. I've been to small (30+ aircraft) fly-ins at uncontrolled fields and it is not that stressful.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJSprague24 posted:

Update:

quote:

-Airlines will have to provide flight simulator training for pilots on how to deal with a stall.
-Pilots' performance will be tracked and airlines must create a remedial training program for pilots who repeatedly demonstrate deficiencies in skills tests. Renslow had failed several such tests, but was allowed to retake them.
-Expanded training for pilots on how, when they are sitting in the second cockpit seat, they should monitor the performance of the other pilot who is flying the plane.
-Expanded training on how to handle crosswinds and wind gusts.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/faa-issues-new-airline-pilot-training-rules-8C11535559

Why wasn't this the path approached first?

Warning, pilots: The families of the victims of 3407, who started all this, still aren't satisfied. To their credit, it's amazing how much they've gotten done so far, regardless of how rear end-backwards some of it (ATP Law) is.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

ch3cooh posted:

That the one plane managed to land safely should be in every ad brochure that manufacturer publishes.

Any ideas on what happened? It looked like when the jumpers climbed onto the strut the pilot didn't correct for the change in weight distribution and the wing dipped to the right.

A friend of mine spent many hours in the left seat of that 182, and has piloted ops and jumped with that group. He said it's pretty under-powered, and a 500 fpm descent at 70 kts is expected with jumpers on the strut. On the other hand, the a/c in trail is a modified 185 with a seaplane prop and some major get-up-and-go.

When the pilot of the 185 reached over to open the door he lost sight of the lead, and the formation became compromised. Since the 182 had probably bled off a significant amount of airspeed, it was only a matter of time before it was overtaken by the 185. Losing sight of the lead means peeling off. In this case, no peel-off led to a dramatic rejoin.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Update:

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/faa-issues-new-airline-pilot-training-rules-8C11535559

Why wasn't this the path approached first?

Warning, pilots: The families of the victims of 3407, who started all this, still aren't satisfied. To their credit, it's amazing how much they've gotten done so far, regardless of how rear end-backwards some of it (ATP Law) is.

Requiring revised/updated training for stalls, upsets, and crosswinds makes a lot of sense (and doesn't involve grandstanding and Congressional hearings), which is exactly why it's the last thing Congress and/or the FAA would think to do.

Given how Colgan has reacted to the crash (they basically denied any responsibility for what happened, and have refused to release an internal safety audit done right after the crash to the NTSB), I don't blame the victims families for pushing for the FAA to make changes, since I very much doubt the FAA would have taken meaningful steps to prevent another accident without that external pressure.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Desi posted:

That being said, the idea of a major fly-in at an uncontrolled field sketches me right out, having trained within the bubble of CYOW.

I learned to fly in Kitchener and then flew out of Ottawa for a while.

Now that I have gotten back into flying it is all uncontrolled where I am. As long as everyone is paying attention you can handle a huge amount of traffic at an uncontrolled airport.

Copa held a convention in Hanover which is uncontrolled with no issues. I flew into a rust remover session there and we had over 100 aircraft arrive within an hour or so all uncontrolled.

Keep an eye out for people and follow proper circuit procedures.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, just heard that there was really bad lose of seperation between two of my classmates over 22 yesterday. Almost collision. Like 200 feet apart, both trying to land until the one higher up noticed the other infront of him. He pitched up and went full power, but holy gently caress....

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Those TOGO switches definitely got their use then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Looking up L-1011 videos on YouTube, I somehow came across this DoT promotional film from the early '70s, which shows peoples' opinions on the "superjets", as well as ATC footage from back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOJvzvLSr-Y

Another thing I noticed is something I already knew, but am still fascinated by: everybody and their brother in the US had the 747. I counted Pan Am, NW, DL, UA, CO, Braniff, National, TWA, and Eastern 747s.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 7, 2013

• Locked thread